Quantcast Disney Marathon Finishers Get New Medal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Marathon Finishers Get New Medal

New 2011 race enhancements include reward of complimentary admission to a Walt Disney World theme park for marathon finishers, plus first-ever online voting to select new race medal; race registration well underway after record marathon weekend exceeded 55,500 in 2010

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (June 1, 2010) – In addition to a tremendous sense of accomplishment, a magical reward will await everyone who completes the Walt Disney World Marathon presented by Cigna in 2011: a new Mickey Mouse race medal and a free day at Disney.

As part of Disney’s ongoing efforts to encourage guests to celebrate the milestones in their lives at a Disney park, finishers at the Disney Marathon on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, will receive complimentary admission to a Walt Disney World theme park the Monday after the race.

And for the first time ever, runners and fans can choose the official 2011 Disney Marathon medal, which will be their unofficial “ticket’’ to Disney on “Marathon Monday.’’ Through online voting this summer, fans can vote for their favorite from three medal designs, all created by Jostens Inc., which has designed Super Bowl rings and college football’s prestigious Heisman Trophy. The medal with the most votes will become the official medal of the 2011 Walt Disney World Marathon.

Voting is underway now and runs through July 28 at disneyworldmarathon.com. The winning medal will be announced in early August.

“Running 26.2 miles is quite an accomplishment even if you’re energized by Disney entertainment along the way, so what better way to celebrate such an achievement than a complimentary fun-filled day at Disney where you can show off your new medal,’’ said Faron Kelley, director of marketing for Disney Sports. “These new features are just more ways runners and their families can combine their passion for running with a memorable trip to their favorite vacation destination.’’

Registration remains open for the 2011 Walt Disney Marathon Weekend (Jan. 6-9), which is approaching 50 percent of capacity. The Disney Marathon Weekend (typical race start temperature 48.6 degrees) will once again include a variety of events for all ages and running abilities – kids races, a Family Fun Run 5K, the Goofy Race & a Half Challenge, the Disney Half Marathon and the Disney Marathon, plus the Health & Fitness Expo. To sign up for any of the weekend events, go to disneyworldmarathon.com.

Last year’s Disney Marathon Weekend, which drew a record 55,500 registered runners from all 50 states and 50 countries, was highlighted by Adriano Bastos’ sixth consecutive Disney Marathon victory and Lisa Mizutani’s second straight women’s title.

About Disney’s Endurance Series

The Endurance Series at Walt Disney World Resort gives recreational athletes of all ages and abilities the chance to walk, jog, run, bike and swim their way “around the world.” From marathons to road races to triathlons, athletes from across the country and around the world compete to stay in shape, achieve personal best times and raise donations for charitable causes.

Popular Endurance Series events are the Walt Disney World Marathon and Half Marathon presented by Cigna, Champion 5K at ESPN the Weekend, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon Weekend presented by Lady Foot Locker, Expedition Everest Challenge presented by Champion and the inaugural Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you much Carol!

Post Thanks / Like

We (well technically my husband ) voted for the all gold medal option.

So...finishers get free entry on that Monday, which is awesome, but I wonder if AP holders get anything?

Post Thanks / Like

We're in for the 5K Family run...maybe someday we'll work up to the Marathon.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait! Doing the Goofy Challenge with the half marathon on Saturday and the full one on Sunday with my hand crank wheelchair.

Like Melanears, I wonder if AP holders will be able to get anything in exchange for that Monday like they did with the birthday celebration promotion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Can't wait! Doing the Goofy Challenge with the half marathon on Saturday and the full one on Sunday with my hand crank wheelchair.
    Total admiration!

Post Thanks / Like

Like Melanears, I wonder if AP holders will be able to get anything in exchange for that Monday like they did with the birthday celebration promotion.
    Rock on!

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Not worthy...

You are awesome!

I have to say, though, most marathoners buy park tickets (multi day, since the marathon is an "event" that actually begins that Friday). What good is a one day, one park entry? As mentioned, what do AP holders get? Nothing?

It seems like sort of a pointless "perk", if you ask me. It would be better to get a complementary park pass voucher that you can renew whenever you want...and apply towards the purchase of a future ticket or AP renewal (a la the birthday "gift" card).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Since I just took up jogging I'm very excited to read this. I'm working on a program that should have me up to a 5K within about 3mos. This is awesome.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I am signed up for my first WDW Marathon in January and am so excited! It worked out really well as an excuse for another trip, I really didn't think my wife would buy it but it worked!

I suppose the perk of a free admission is really to try to get more locals out to the marathon that may not do it otherwise. Like the others have said, this really is no perk to anyone traveling in for the race since most of us will have length of stay tickets anyway.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

So if you are in the half - marathon (like myself) on Saturday and finish. Do you only get the free day on that Monday? Or can you use it Sunday? We were not counting on it since we figure we will sleep in Sunday and then we leave late that day. Just wondering. If it is only for Sunday, then I agree, it would be nice to be a voucher to use in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Goofy's Challenge is so tempting...I wanna do that one...yes, I am out of my mind, but that makes it all the more fun...ok, I just need someone to "dare" me to do it...

WesWerX ºoº

"Laughter is America's most important export" - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weswerx View Post
    Goofy's Challenge is so tempting...I wanna do that one...yes, I am out of my mind, but that makes it all the more fun...ok, I just need someone to "dare" me to do it...

I double dog dare you to do Goofy's Challenge!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I double dog dare you to do Goofy's Challenge!
    ...ok...

...let the training begin...

WesWerX ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

trying to figure a way to make a quick family trip for the '11 race (just me, the DD running) but looks like may have to push it to 2012 - may be too old by then!!

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

The medal we picked won!!!

Post Thanks / Like

melanie, which one, well, won?!

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    The medal we picked won!!!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR. I wanted that one the least. I am a traditionalist and wanted the traditional Mickey head.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the one I voted for, but it just felt like that one would win. I like it though and can't wait to wear it!
    Training is going great here...and I haven't even started the full-out, get up at 4am and run training yet. I am so excited to be running this one.
    So, who else will be running? Is there another "training" thread somewhere around here. I would love to see what kind of training everyone else is doing.
    My big challenge is going to be what I will wear. Mickey costume, I'cot t-shirt, regular running clothes...
    WesWerX ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry! Meant to post this last week. This is the winner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: