Quantcast Osborne Lights

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Osborne Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Osborne Lights

Can anyone tell me about what time in the evening they turn the Osborne Lights on? I really know very little about this; does the program only last a few minutes? Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Please share! This will be our first time at Christmas as well.
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

The lights get turned on around dusk, and stay lit until park closing. They dance to the music around every 10-15 minutes, but even when they aren't dancing to the music, they still stay lit. They are a must see!

Any other Christmas questions, feel free to ask.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    The lights get turned on around dusk, and stay lit until park closing. They dance to the music around every 10-15 minutes, but even when they aren't dancing to the music, they still stay lit. They are a must see!

Any other Christmas questions, feel free to ask.

My hubby and I went in December 2009. It was so amazing to see!!! We actually made a point to be there when they flipped the switch on to catch the first song for the night. We stood in the middle of the street and the crossroads. So we were able to turn around in a circle and see all of the lights! So amazing! We can't go and look and Christmas lights around the neighborhood anymore , it's just not the same after seeing this amazing display!!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Like the PPs stated it starts at dusk and goes until park closing. We saw it for the first time last year and it was AMAZING!!! A do not miss for sure!!!!!

To be honest I'm a little sad we'll be missing it this year!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Some additional information:

The lights are placed on all buildings on New York Street and side streets at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Every inch of each building is covered from top to bottom - there is no "blank space" on any building.

In addition, there are several HUGE light displays placed on top of the buildings themselves and along the streets near the sidewalks. Massive electric light banners are hung across the street overhead from building to building.

It is truly a spectacle: Far superior to any neigborhood light display you will ever see. It is literally a full city block entirely covered in Christmas lights.

The lights stay lit throughout the evening and fake snow ( actually a soap bubble type of substance) is intermittently blown from the rooftops to make it look like it's snowing - a very nice effect.

Christmas music plays consistently and every 15 minutes or so, the lights are choreographed to flash in unison to certain songs.

Also, note that people merely wander the street to see the lights. There is no "formality" to it like other Disney attractions. You simply walk the street or just watch from where you stand. Because of this, the street is MASSIVELY crowded. There are a couple thousand people on the street at any given time- some trying to make their way from one end to the other--others just standing in their own spot--and many moving around trying to take pictures. It gets VERY crowded--so keep this in mind if you have strollers, wheelchairs or little children who walk on their own.

Here's a tip: Every 15 minutes when one of the choreographed songs begins - all of the people freeze to watch the "dancing" lights. This is usually a great time to make your way through the crowd. It's much easier to maneuver through hundreds of people when they are standing still.

Disney vendors are also located around the street with carts selling hot chocolate, cookies and the like.

It is unlike anything you will see anywhere else on the planet - it's a MUST SEE.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The lights come on about dusk and they stay
    on a long time. They flash at times and the
    music is great. There is snow falling during the
    show. It is wonderful and will bring tears to
    your eyes at least it does mine. You will love it.
    Don't miss it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Also, note that people merely wander the street to see the lights. There is no "formality" to it like other Disney attractions. You simply walk the street or just watch from where you stand. Because of this, the street is MASSIVELY crowded. There are a couple thousand people on the street at any given time- some trying to make their way from one end to the other--others just standing in their own spot--and many moving around trying to take pictures. It gets VERY crowded--so keep this in mind if you have strollers, wheelchairs or little children who walk on their own.
    IMHO, I would use the term "MASSIVELY crowded" very carefully and keep in mind that if all, it would only be true on certain days. I believe this may give people an false idea of the crowds, and might actually keep people from going to see the lights.

I have been the past 3 years in a row, and never has it ever been anything even close to crowded, let alone "massively crowded." The closer you get to Christmas it does fill up more with people.

This will be my 4th year in a row visiting WDW at Christmastime, and in the past 3 years I have gone, it has never been so crowded that I would avoid the Osborne Lights.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen the Osborne Lights several time in the last 7 years and the lights have always started at 6:00 PM. Don't miss them, they are so awesome
    "We're too excited too sleep!"

1979 & 1981 Off Property
    April 2002 POR
    January 2003 POR & BC
    April 2004 POFQ
    January 2005 POP
    November 05 CBR 20th Anniv
    January 2007 WL
    January 2008 WL
    December 2008 POR
    November 2010 POFQ 25th Anniv
    Next trip 2013 January POR

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't add anything new but I wanted to say definately don't miss this...it is incredible! Also, allow yourself plenty of time because we found ourselves just standing there in awe at times. We loved looking for the hidden Mickeys and the black cat from Halloween so I would recommend that and also just relax, and take it all in, including the side streets. You won't be disappointed!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

this post makes me want my trip to come do much faster!!! I'm looking forward to the lights, never seen them!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

From our first visit to the Osborne Lights to what we have encountered the last 2 years, I would have to agree with the poster that called it "massively" crowded. I do think part of my problem has been that we have been there the last 2 years to see the lights go on and the fact that I use an ECV also traps me in at a lower level and I can't see to get around as easily. My plan for this year is to go over after we have dinner and I'm hoping it won't be as jam packed. Will we go to see it even if it is a zoo? Oh, yeah.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Be sure to look for the hidden Mickey’s mixed in with all the lights. Also the later it gets the crowd seems to thin out some.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We will be in DHS on November 17th, will they be on by then?
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ