Quantcast They just don't get it

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default They just don't get it

The in laws are coming with us on our upcoming DW trip. They've never been.

When we made our ADR at the 180 mark they thought DH and I were insane. We talk about it all the time and love planning our trip.

My in laws don't understand why we are are so obsessed. We want the most from out of our trips. They have no idea the possibilities that DW presents to them.

Anyone else think your Disney wacky?
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is often true. Many folks look at me like I have two heads when we say our next vacation destination is Disney. The next response is often "Again?" Of course, this often comes from folks who vacation year in, and year out at the same beach house or mountain cabin and who never get tired of heading back one more time!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

DH thinks I'm totally nuts. I told him once that I'd give up a trip to Vegas if we could go to Disney World. His big thing is the cost, which I agree is a bit much, but we really don't do anything else as far as vacations go.

Plus you get so much with WDW, amusement parks, shows, food, shopping, free transporation from the airport etc. Frankly I truly believe its one of the few places where you can immerse yourself in a whole other frame of mind. As far as I'm concerned its the happiest place on earth.
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My MiL thought I was nuts when I was planning the trip she joined us on... the ADR's, EMH, what parks when, the shows and times of fireworks & parades... she would laugh and roll her eyes and call me her Mouseketeer.

But let me tell you... when we had the best seats in the house for Illuminations, the best view of Wishes and great seating for all our meals... when we didn't have to race to get to everything because my "plan" allowed us to relax and go with the flow (however well researched that plan was beforehand, from all the tips I'd gained on here... ) she no longer teased and honestly was so thankful for all the "behind the scenes" work we'd done before we got there.

So -- I bet your in-laws won't think it so odd once they get there and see everything there is to be experienced, and how smoothly you all get to do it -- I bet they'll be thrilled instead!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My In-laws had such a great time on their first trip to WDW with us that we are going again in DEC, I just hope I can create that much magic the second time around. The greatest thing is that I get to make the ADR's ( with input from my DH) and they enjoy having an "unofficial" tour guide, so relax and enjoy Disney your way and more than likely they will have the time of their lives.
    "We get there when we get there!"
    Disneyland Too many times to count
    Saratoga Springs OCT '00, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2014, Dec. 2015
    A S Sports DEC '03
    POP May '06
    AKL Jan '08 Offsite Sheraton Vistana Jan '08
    Port Orleans Mar 2015, May 2015
    Coronado Springs Sept 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default My parents!!!

My parents had never been to WDW before until they went with us about 8 years ago. They had been to Six Flags Over Texas many times with me and my siblings growing up but never been to a Disney Park. It wasn't what they said, it was the way they said it, like, "It's a theme park, right? or Are you sure we need to make plans this far out? or We need to be there how early?" But after arriving and see the parks, they loved it. My mother committed on WDW having a small atmosphere. They waited in every line, road "It's A Small World" at least 10 times, ate with gusto at Le Cellier and keep photos of the trip all over their house to this day. They get it now.
    May 1985-School Trip
    Dec 1989-Family Trip
    Oct 1996-5th Anniverary Trip-POR
    Jan 2001-Westgate Lakes (WL)
    Jan 2002-WL
    Jan 2003-WL
    Jan 2004-Wydham Palms
    Dec 2004-Cypress Pointe (CP)
    Jan 2006-CP
    2007-The Year of the Annnual Pass
    Jan 2007-CP
    June 2007-CP
    Nov 2007-CP
    Dec 2009-CP
    June 2010-CP

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily my family love it too, but my friends and co-workers all think I'm crazy.

For me, WDW is the only place that my family can go where we are far enough away from work, friends and family so we can truelly relax. There's always something to do, and every trip is different...even though they are the same.

Planning is my job, but I make sure they all take part so they have "ownership". What they think of as my "out of control" behavior now makes for a great trip later.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree!

My wife thought for the longest time she was marrying into a crazy family because of our love for all things Disney...esepcially WDW. But we she went with us for the first time 2 years ago (and we took our son for his first trip) she finally "got it" and hasn't been the same since. In fact, she's the one now asking "so when are we going again?"

I agree on the cost...that does make it hard to go too often (about once every 3 or 4 years for us). We're heading to Cali and Disneyland this summer just for something different and to get our Disney fix!

"And to think it all started with a mouse!"
    1978 - Contemporary Resort
    1989 - Contemporary Resort
    1994 - Disney Institute
    1996 - Disney Institute
    1999 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 - Coronado Springs
    2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2010 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I are both Crazy about Disney My parents joke all the time (but I think they are serious) that they will have to take our children on Vacation to visit other places than WDW.
    Jun '00 Jul '03 - All-Star Music
    Aug '05 - POP
    May '07 - All-Star Sports
    Aug '08 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Mar '09 - POP
    Sept '10 - POP (Our DD 1st Trip!!)
    Oct ' 11-Nov '11 - POP
    Nov '13 -Off Property Bonnet Creek
    Jun '14 -POP (Our DS 1st Trip!!)
    Jun '15 -POP
    Aug '15 -Disneyland (1st Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    This is often true. Many folks look at me like I have two heads when we say our next vacation destination is Disney. The next response is often "Again?" Of course, this often comes from folks who vacation year in, and year out at the same beach house or mountain cabin and who never get tired of heading back one more time!
    Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyMcQueen View Post
    DH thinks I'm totally nuts. I told him once that I'd give up a trip to Vegas if we could go to Disney World. His big thing is the cost, which I agree is a bit much, but we really don't do anything else as far as vacations go.

Plus you get so much with WDW, amusement parks, shows, food, shopping, free transporation from the airport etc. Frankly I truly believe its one of the few places where you can immerse yourself in a whole other frame of mind. As far as I'm concerned its the happiest place on earth.
    DH also gives me the eye roll-we went to Vegas once, and while it was awesome even he said, and I quote, "I miss Disney!" Yet, I still get the blah, blah, blah from him. It is pricey, but I look for all the discounts I can. I have priced other resort type places and cannot find anything that has the quality of WDW for the price hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    My MiL thought I was nuts when I was planning the trip she joined us on... the ADR's, EMH, what parks when, the shows and times of fireworks & parades... she would laugh and roll her eyes and call me her Mouseketeer.

But let me tell you... when we had the best seats in the house for Illuminations, the best view of Wishes and great seating for all our meals... when we didn't have to race to get to everything because my "plan" allowed us to relax and go with the flow (however well researched that plan was beforehand, from all the tips I'd gained on here... ) she no longer teased and honestly was so thankful for all the "behind the scenes" work we'd done before we got there.

So -- I bet your in-laws won't think it so odd once they get there and see everything there is to be experienced, and how smoothly you all get to do it -- I bet they'll be thrilled instead!!
    My sister went with us for the first time last year. She too was a doubter. As we were leaving MK for the last time she told me how awesome her vacation was, how she got to see everything she had wanted and how well planned it all was. Thank you.
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I've had many friends tell me that I may be addicted to Disney. I just tell them I am very well educated on things Disney, especially the parks (of course I'm still learning new things)!!! But I really get a kick out of it when they come around and ask for advice on taking a Disney trip! I talk about our Dec 2009 trip all of the time. So now I've put the bug in other people's ears about how awesome WDW is and now they are looking into it! They always thought it would be so expensive. But once I show them some various options (staying on WDW property of course ) they are surprised that the cost isn't higher. I think people assume that Disney is really really expensive. I always thell them it can be, but there are ways to save money and still have a great trip! I have friends who still haven't been to any Disney park, but trust me, I'm working on them so they can experience the magic too! I grew up in a "Disney family" with many trips to Disneyland and Disney World throughout my life. I have since converted my hubby to loving WDW and that is the only place he is considering taking a vacation too now!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Bluewater............... I am an addict. Rehab is for quitters!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Today O mentioned how much I'm looking forward to attended Wishes.

MIL says, "But I thought we were gonna see them from our room? Why go out with the crowds?"

(We're staying at BLT) Well, I'M gonna go see the real show too. The view from the balcony will be cool I'm sure, but nothing beats standing under the castle.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

My mom thinks my sisters and I are crazy because we are planning our trip for August 2012. My co workers say to me all the time don't you want to go some where else? Don't you get tired of it? Ummm NO I wish I could afford to go every year. We try and go every other year. It takes me a year to plan ahead ad save up for it.
    2001- off site
    2004- cbr
    2005- pops
    2006 - all star vacation homes
    2010-off site (holiday inn downtown disney)
    2013 por
    2016 cbr
    2019 por

Post Thanks / Like

The first time my SIL and her family were going to WDW they asked me for advice. I did get the occasional "look" when talking to them about things. They did, however, want to know "everything" because this would be there one and only trip, you know, before the kids "outgrow the characters". Even when they looked at me funny, or I knew they thought I'd lost my mind, I'd just try to remember that this was their trip and I wasn't going to force anything on them.

Well that was probably 7 years ago and they've been back 5 times since! They, like most people, had no idea what WDW was all about. They truly thought it was just a bunch of rides and some characters. They had no idea how great the shows, parades, and fireworks were. They had no idea they'd fall in love with all the places to eat and the different resorts.

I think most people who don't get it have never been. And for those who have been and still don't get it....I say that's less people trying to get ADRs, or in line for the rides!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My family thinks I'm Disney nuts. People at work call me Mickey.

And my wife who is super Disney nuts even thinks I'm nuts.

I tell everyone, I'm the only sane one, their all nuts.

WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure my brother has no idea what he's in for, and they're planning on coming with us in November. I'm handling all the ADRs and planning and stuff. He's said to me that he thinks it's a waste of money because his kids (4 & almost 3) won't remember the trip. Um, they might (my daughter still won't go on Snow White because of our first trip when she was 26 months)! And even if they don't, HE will, and those memories will be precious! His kids are the PERFECT age to take to WDW.

So I'm hoping, of course, that they end up making the journey with us, and that they'll "get it." Oh, and that they'll thank me for all the work I've put into this trip. Hey, one can dream, right?
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Most people I know don't get it, but a few do.

Get it:

Don't get it:

The most important thing to me, however, was that my kids get it!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get the, "You're going to WDW again" remark all the time from family and friends. A few people at work used to refer to me as Mickey. When I won a 6 night 7 day trip at my work holiday party no one year was surprised but me. Now I get, "When are you going this year? We'd like to get reservations at the same time" I guess it just takes some people longer to catch on than others...After going to WDW since 1971 I still can't get my DB & SIL to go, they are tied to the same beach house in NJ.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

My family and friends all think im crazy. Thats why I go to intercot, everyone feels the same way I do!

Just a few weeks ago I sold my inlaws on a wdw trip! I was impressed with myself. They were dead set on spending the whole week at the beach, but I talked them into spending four nights at disney and then going to the beach!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: