Quantcast Child Hit By Bus At Disney Dies - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The FHP is reporting that the boy's bike left the sidewalk and hit the middle of the bus. Why he left the sidewalk is not known. Their report suggests that the bus did not strike him but rather that he ran into the bus's side and then fell under it.

This just a heart rending story and it must be awful for all involved.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    The FHP is reporting that the boy's bike left the sidewalk and hit the middle of the bus. Why he left the sidewalk is not known. Their report suggests that the bus did not strike him but rather that he ran into the bus's side and then fell under it.
    This is also what I read in the news. If so, I can't imagine the bus driver had any opportunity to prevent this terrible accident.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So tragic. Prayers to his family.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Around these parts, being pronounced dead at the scene is very different than pronounced dead at the hospital.

I'm sure someone is going to come under some serious pressure soon

Post Thanks / Like

It is so sad. I only hope the friend he was riding with will be OK. It's so young to have witnessed something so horrible.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Around these parts, being pronounced dead at the scene is very different than pronounced dead at the hospital.

I'm sure someone is going to come under some serious pressure soon
    Responding to a child with traumatic injuries is pressure enough. Unless the on-sene paramedics deviated from there protocols you are wrong. This was a tragic loss of life and you comment was really uncalled for.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    ...I have different view point on accidents at WDW. I'm surpirsed there hasn't been more accidents over the years. WDW is more like a small metropolitan area with many types of transportation. Those of who live in or near a major city frequently here stories about this kind of accidents. So i've always been impressed with the safety record at WDW. That being said it does seem the accidents are happening more frequently and the head of transportation needs to be figuring out a way to improve safety.
    I was thinking the same thing. With the amount of people who are on property each day and the variety of transportation (boats, monrails, buses, cars, etc.) I think Disney has an excellent safety record. I'm sure they will be looking into ways to prevent this from happening again.

This is heart breaking for the family of this child, the child who witnessed it, and the bus driver. My prayers go out to all of them.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has been open for 39 years. How many accidents and deaths have there been. Most deaths have been health related. People go on rides that they shouldn't and they end up dead. I was at Animal Kingdom back in December 2007 and was going to ride Everest. But before I got on some man had died of a heart attack. Later found out Disney settled out of court because the family wanted to sue them. No doubt there will be a suit filed on this one. I myself wonder where the parents were on this one. I feel totally safe while I am at WDW. Yes this was a tragic accident. But it looks like it was not the fault of the driver. If the 9 year hit the side of the bus I bet you bottom dollar the driver did not see him. I know I'm not investigating but I bet the driver will be found not at fault.

My prayers go out to the boy's family and the Driver of the bus. All are going to need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this on my local news here in Texas. What a tragedy.

Thoughts and Prayers are with the family.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sad, I'm from St. Petersburg, the same town he was from (I don't know the family, trying to find out if any of my friends or family do), I just checked the St. Pete Times and they had this (they have his photo up, very sweet looking little boy):

ORLANDO — Troopers say Chase Brubaker, 9, of St. Petersburg, was riding his bicycle with a friend Thursday when he was killed by a Walt Disney World bus on the park's camping grounds.

The children and the bus were southbound on Big Bend Drive in the Fort Wilderness Resort area when Brubaker apparently tried to cross into the road from a sidewalk, hitting the middle of the bus, Florida Highway Patrol troopers said.

He was pulled under the right rear tire.

Both he and the 11-year-old girl were wearing helmets. She was uninjured. There were 28 people on the bus.

The bus driver, David Rich, 56, has worked for Disney for 30 years.

Kelly and Dick Brubaker, the boy's parents, told Bay News 9 that their only son had said hours before the crash that this was his "best day ever."

"One of the best days of our life has turned into the worst," Dick Brubaker said.

They said Chase was mature for his age and safe.

"I'm in shock that this happened at Disney," his mother said.

Post Thanks / Like

If this news report is correct, then it was not the driver's fault that this tragedy happened. It sounds like the boy was not paying attention, if he struck the side of the bus, but then again, I don't know all the details. No matter what it is a sad thing for any child to lose thier life.

That being said, I know that we are all concerned wit safety at WDW, and the recent news reports of various accidents in the last year may make some people wonder what is going on. But as has been stated above, remember that every bad thing that happens at Disney World makes the news. This is mainly because our culture thinks of Disney only as a happy place, detached form reality, you know, as a "Magic Kingdom". But in spite of the magical feelings that all of us experience there, it is in fact still part of the real world, where real things happen, some of them bad. Still, I'll bet that when you compare Disney's transportation safety record, that it is probably better than most other communities of its size and population. We don't hear the news about when someone is killed or injured in a bus accident in New York, Chicago, or L.A, or a thousand other places in the world (unless we live there) yet most people don't think twice about the safety of public transportation where they live. Thousands of people are killed every year in the U.S. in auto accidents, yet we drive on without giving our own safety while driving a second thought. People die of heart attacks in their own beds and in hotels all over the world every day, and we don't pay any attention. But if someone dies in Disney World, we know about it and there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth over it. It's sad to be sure, but accidents and dying are a part of life everywhere, even in Disney World. Just because it happens there, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with WDW.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

This is just so tragic. My heart goes out to the family, especially the parents, of this boy, as well as the bus driver.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    Responding to a child with traumatic injuries is pressure enough. Unless the on-sene paramedics deviated from there protocols you are wrong. This was a tragic loss of life and you comment was really uncalled for.
    What I'm saying is that in order to be pronounced dead at the scene, the injuries must have been serious enough that there was no hope. For an injury to be so serious Disney will be looking for an explaination and a way to correct it, and legally, Disney will be looking to point a finger at someone, they won't just accept responsibility, that won't look good in the upcoming court cases.

With the number of "accidents" at WDW recently, they should really be looking at why the sudden surge. Yes, overall they have a decent safety record, but it's not a stretch to think that some other factors come have come into play than just statistics. Those things might be staffing (either quality or quantity). Possibly hours, maybe training...

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news.

It's hard to rely on news accounts to gauge accident levels. It's very possible that more reporting is happening due to some major incidents but overall the levels are the same. It's also possible that maybe there's been an effort to be more transparent. Social media like Twitter are causing companies, especially those that operate very publicly like Disney, to rethink their media strategies. It's a lot harder these days to keep things quiet. It does seem like there's been an increase in reporting in the last couple years, but without all the numbers you can't really say there's been an increase.

With that sad, each of these incidents has had a terrible impact and whether they are part of a trend or not they do require preventive actions where possible.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

First no matter who is to blame, the bus driver or the child, it is a tragic incident for both sides.

Social media and media in general assist to make things transparent. Who knows for sure if accidents are more than before but now we learn quickly so it is in our minds.

Prayers on this Good Friday and Easter weekend to the family of the boy.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    What I'm saying is that in order to be pronounced dead at the scene, the injuries must have been serious enough that there was no hope. For an injury to be so serious Disney will be looking for an explaination and a way to correct it, and legally, Disney will be looking to point a finger at someone, they won't just accept responsibility, that won't look good in the upcoming court cases.

With the number of "accidents" at WDW recently, they should really be looking at why the sudden surge. Yes, overall they have a decent safety record, but it's not a stretch to think that some other factors come have come into play than just statistics. Those things might be staffing (either quality or quantity). Possibly hours, maybe training...
    I read you post a refering to the paramedics that responded to the scene. Thanks for clearing up your post

Post Thanks / Like

How horrible for all involved!

PLEASE parents, do not be lulled into a false sense of security because you are at Disney World. Children need just as much parental supervision at Disney as they do anywhere else. Children are wonderful, impulsive creatures and they can make poor choices, particularly with the Disney pixie dust in their eyes.

If it turns out that this accident was caused by an unfortunate split second decision of the child, I hope the parents don't try to sue. Squeezing Disney for money won't make them responsible for an apparently unsupervised child.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Mom View Post

PLEASE parents, do not be lulled into a false sense of security because you are at Disney World. Children need just as much parental supervision at Disney as they do anywhere else. Children are wonderful, impulsive creatures and they can make poor choices, particularly with the Disney pixie dust in their eyes.

If it turns out that this accident was caused by an unfortunate split second decision of the child, I hope the parents don't try to sue. Squeezing Disney for money won't make them responsible for an apparently unsupervised child.
    I agree 100%. Well put.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Mom View Post

Please don't let this thread turn into a blame game. Even if parents had been there this still could have happened. Do you have kids? I was a foot away from my son when he fell off his bike and broke his tooth. Nothing I could have done would have prevented it. This was a horribly unfortunate and tragic accident. It was an accident and should not be blamed on the parents. You know for every day for the rest of thier lives they are going to say what if this, what if that, what if we had stayed home and not gone on vacation, etc. Let's show some sympathy and compassion and withhold judegment, please... As much as people want to find a reason or a responsible party sometimes things just happen.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

ugh my heart broke to hear this news.
    Imagine your family at disney world and having to deal with losing your child while on vacation....especially in Disney

We have to remember here that accidents and death do occur at WDW. There are 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a gazillion resorts, golf courses, different forms of transportation etc. and billions of people coming and going on a daily basis.....
    Prior to 2001 you never heard of incidents in the parks (accidents or deaths) WHY? because they were NOT required to report it. We hear about it now because it HAS to be reported and well guess what? the news is going to tell us everything they can about it.
    But dont think that nothing ever happened there....it just wasn't reported publicly prior to 2001.

I extend my deepest sympathy to the family involved in this incident.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: