I couldn't disagree more with some of the above opinions. I visited the white house in the mid-90s and it was one of my most thrilling memories from our DC trip. It's amazing to be in a place of such American history. I was only a teenager and my sister only a pre-teen, but we LOVED it. For some reason, it was obvious to us that we would not get to see the oval office and also that we probably wouldn't get a chance peek at the Pres. or the First Lady. But, it didn't matter. The White House tour guides are usually great and many have wonderful stories. I would definitely try to go if you get the chance.

You may also want to check out a trolley service we used - I believe they were the only trolley at the time in D.C. I can't remember the name, but we used them based on the recommendations of a friend and also of a family member. They make the rounds to all the major historical attractions. However, you're not on a tight schedule. You simply get off, check out everything and then hop on a later trolley. This way, you can do everything at your own pace. I can't remember waiting very long once we wanted to leave and it worked out perfectly. We never felt rushed, and we never felt "stuck" anywhere. For example, we spent a lot of time at Arlington and also at all the prominent Lincoln historical locations.

Also check out the Smithsonian museums if you can. I think they're impossible to do in one trip, but they're AMAZING!

Have a great time!