Quantcast POP Century.... pros and cons??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default POP Century.... pros and cons??

What do ya'll think?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop is our WDW home! We love it there! We stayed at ASMo's our first trip & we saw the construction going on for POP & we decided our next visit to try it since it was new. Have to say that we loved ASMo's, DS's were only 4 & 6 & it was perfect for their age! They loved all the Dinsey movie icons, particularly the ones from Toy Story! But we were drawn to Pop as it had only been open for 6 months when we stayed there the first time & we decided that it was perfect for us! We really like the themed areas of the various decades, the Hippy Dippy pool is huge & never feels crowed, also 2 other "quiet" pools & a seperate water jet area! The huge icons are so cool, some are lit up at night & the whole resort just feels happy & fun! The grounds are immaculate & the various music playing from the different decades is totally cool! We have DS's now 12 & 13 & it fits us. Now if you are an adults only group you may want to stay someplace with a more "grownup" or or more "classy", POP for us is just a happy place to stay! It's very colorful and upbeat! For us one huge plus to Pop over the AS's is the dedicated bus service! This may very well have changed since our stay at ASMo's, but back then, the busses stopped at all 3 AS resorts & by the time that the bus would reach the Mo's resort (last in the line up) they would invariably be full & we'd be standing. Pop doesn't share a bus with any other resort & they only have bus stops at the front if the resort, unlike some other resorts. So also depends on your building how far you are from the bus stop. You can look at a resort map to see the layout. I am not implying that it's overrun with kids, or loud, but I've read lots of comments that it's not suited to some peoples tastes. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for & where you would be comfortable in staying. I've read comments from some that have stayed in Mod's & Deluxe that they were sorely disappointed, & others that enjoyed the atmosphere! To each his own, and thankfully the choices at WD are so varied that there should be something there for everyone! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer. You can pm me if you want. We can't wait for our next trip "home" in June! Staying at Pop of course with friends & their family!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I also vote for POP. For a value resort I have found it to suit me and my family the best. The best thing I like is their own buses and the food court.

As you can see from my signature I have stayed in a few of the other resorts.

Happy Planning
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a luxury person and staying at Deluxe is not something I have to do. I was completely skeptical about our trip two years ago to POP. I heard about slow buses, loud people, far walk, crowded restaurant/cafe. I hyped myself up so much for a bad trip and I was drastically surprised.

Buses: They are extremely efficient. They can be crowded at times, but never a long wait. I think our longest wait was about 15 minutes.

Noise: Yes, the walls are a little thin. you can hear the toilet flush because they are loud. Outside noise can be heard slightly. Noise does not bother me much, so this was a non-issue for me.

Packed food court: Yes, it can be busy at the peak times 7-8:30AM, 11AM-1PM, 5PM-7PM. It is not horrible, but it can be busy.

Long walks: If you are at the back of the resort somewhere, it can get to be long. We stayed preferred and it was worth the extra money for me.

Highlights:
    1. Extremely fun
    2. Lots of nostalgia
    3. things to do all over the place
    4. great pools
    5. Lots of stuff for the kids to enjoy
    6. Ducks, birds, lizards, rabbits all around
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

It's not my favorite but it is an affordable way to stay on property. It has alot of fans here so I am sure you will get alot of good feedback.

Pros- affordable, theming, on Disney property.

Cons- Loud, crowded, long waits at food court and for bus. 2 double beds (may not be a con to you).
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We were pleasantly surprised by the Pop on our December trip...

PRO: Price!! Disney theming and transportation.
    They have a VERY EFFICIENT Bus system at this resort.
    Food court was large and gift store was cute. Big game room.
    Resort was always clean and looking nice.

CON: Thin walls, and smaller rooms, but you know what... I only slept in the room. We did not spend much time in the room at all.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Question about buses: are the buses to and from the park for POP different the the Movies?

Post Thanks / Like

The buses aren't so much different, it's just that they only go to Pop. Where on the other hand the AS one's go to each of the three resorts.

But Pop is big and there can be just as many people in line for this one resort as there may be for one of the other bus stops where it may hit three resorts.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Pros
    1. Low Costs
    2. Clean
    3. Decent Food Court
    4. View of Epcot from 1950s
    5. On Disney Property

Cons
    1. Noisy outside
    2. Theme isnt my cup of tea
    3. Crowded and very noisy busses
    4. Have to take bus everywhere
    5. Long lines at parks to get on bus
    6. Smaller Rooms
    7. The abandoned construction portion of the Pop Century is an eye soar

Although I have more cons than pros, i would definitely stay there again
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    Pros
    1. Low Costs
    2. Clean
    3. Decent Food Court
    5. On Disney Property

Cons
    1. Noisy outside
    2. Theme isnt my cup of tea
    3. Crowded and very noisy busses
    4. Have to take bus everywhere
    5. Long lines at parks to get on bus
    6. Smaller Rooms
    7. The abandoned construction portion of the Pop Century is an eye soar

Although I have more cons than pros, i would definitely stay there again
    Just wanted to address a couple of these. It is true; the bus lines for POP are longer than most, because the resort is bigger than most. I just stayed there, though, during one of the busiest weeks. Where the other resorts may have had one bus coming, POP had two at a time coming, and they took over two of the loading zones instead of one to facilitate getting on the buses at both Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I did not wait longer than 15 minutes at any time during my stay, not going to a park nor coming home. A negative: Pop Century's bus loading zones at the parks are further away than any other resort. This may seem inconsequential until you've been on your feet for twelve hours and you still have to walk further than anyone else.

The Legendary Years cannot really be seen from the occupied Classic Years (this is the Pop Century you know of) unless you go looking for it. I have; you walk to the end of the resort, past the '60s buildings, to the edge of the lagoon or lake or whatever that water is. You can see through the bushes/trees/hedges/whatever the ghostly buildings on the other side. Some of us don't see an eyesore, some of us wish they were in use, because the theming of those years would be just awesome.

The Pop Century rooms are not smaller than the other Value resort rooms (All Star Movies, Music and Sports).

Post Thanks / Like

Pop is our favorite resort in the value category. The rooms are small but easily accomodated our family of 2 adults, a teen, and a pre-teen. There are 2 double beds, the tv cabinet with limited storage, a small table and 2 chairs, a small bathroom with a toilet and tub /shower (unless you get an accessible room which only has a roll-in shower), a separate vanity area with a single sink and an open closet. These rooms are the same at ALL value resorts - only theming is different. We were in the '80s, 3rd floor, corner room overlooking a parking lot, facing the main building. We would have never known that we were in a huge resort - we never heard anyone else. The food court is in my opinion, the best on WDW property. The gift shop is huge and has a really nice selection of merchandise. My DDs liked the pool - the adults didn't try it. Bus service was good - yes, it was busy but in a huge resort with only 1 stop, that's to be expected. It was very organized and efficient. I didn't think the location of the bus stops at the parks was an issue. If budget were an issue, we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    What view do you get of Epcot? And which section of the 50's building would you need to request to get a view of Epcot?
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the 50's section, but we've stayed in the 60's section, building # 4, behind the Play-Do can 3 times & from the end of the walkway you can see SpaceShip Earth & some of IllumiNations at night! It used to be so easy to spot, when SSE had the Hand & Wand & they were lit up at night!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

The Legendary Years cannot really be seen from the occupied Classic Years (this is the Pop Century you know of) unless you go looking for it. I have; you walk to the end of the resort, past the '60s buildings, to the edge of the lagoon or lake or whatever that water is. You can see through the bushes/trees/hedges/whatever the ghostly buildings on the other side. Some of us don't see an eyesore, some of us wish they were in use, because the theming of those years would be just awesome.
    Thats actually not really true, we stayed at POP in the 70's building on the back side in Sept, when you walked out of our room and onto the walkway you could see the legendary years clear as day.

I have a picture of it while standing from my hotel door.

It is something that disney needs to address, either tare them down or build them. We all know that better deals for hotels can be found off the resort a lot of times, but im willing to pay a little extra to be surrounded by the disney magic the entire trip. The Legendary Years as it sits today, is the most "unDisney" thing at Disney World by far.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Can we see the picture of the legendary years please? Just intrested in what it actaully looks like. THANKS

Post Thanks / Like

POP is my favorite I can't get enough of it! I love the theme I love the set up of the resort, yes you have to walk a bit to get the bus but I like the fact that its one stop. I never had to wait very long the last few times I was there and I have taken a walk around legendary lake and seen the construction, but I have not seen it from my rooms. I have stayed at OKW and All Star Sports and I I still go back to POP. As for seeing EPCOT request a top floor room in the back of the building and when the fire works go off you can see them. I personally like the food court also, its a little easie to get around in with a rollator or cane, also while crowded at peak times during off peak they run the tv with Disney channel and sometimes the cast members dance ( I have not seen this since my 2005 trip but I know friends who have said they saw it more recently). Hope this helped oh for the picture you want do an image search on google.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofymania View Post
    Can we see the picture of the legendary years please? Just intrested in what it actaully looks like. THANKS
    ill dig around and see if i can find it, ive got it somewhere.

are there any issues with posting pictures in an open forum, or should i email it?
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofymania View Post
    If you go to YouTube and do a search for "forgotten legendary years pop century" you can see a 3 minute video of the building. Really rather sad to see such deplorable conditions on Disney property.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

What does the POP food court offer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CiaoBella312 View Post
    Just wanted to address a couple of these. It is true; the bus lines for POP are longer than most, because the resort is bigger than most. I just stayed there, though, during one of the busiest weeks. Where the other resorts may have had one bus coming, POP had two at a time coming, and they took over two of the loading zones instead of one to facilitate getting on the buses at both Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I did not wait longer than 15 minutes at any time during my stay, not going to a park nor coming home. A negative: Pop Century's bus loading zones at the parks are further away than any other resort. This may seem inconsequential until you've been on your feet for twelve hours and you still have to walk further than anyone else.

The Pop Century rooms are not smaller than the other Value resort rooms (All Star Movies, Music and Sports).
    When I stayed in POP in mid-May 2005, I found on various occasions waiting 15-30 min for the bus at the resort and the parks due to long lines. Maybe the service has improved since then.

My list compares between POP and Moderate/Deluxe. The original poster didnt specify what to compare it to. Thats why I had many cons.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    What view do you get of Epcot? And which section of the 50's building would you need to request to get a view of Epcot?
    Sorry I cant remember where exactly in 1950s I stayed since its been almost 5 years but I remember being able to see Spaceship Earth and parts of Illuminations. We didnt request it or didnt pay for preferred view.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member