Quantcast The IPhone - Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The IPhone - Question

Hi everyone,
    DH and I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T for the IPhone and I have to say...I absolutely LOVE this phone. The Apps are great and it's so convenient to be able to be connected to everything online right on my phone. The one and only problem I have is AT&T's wireless service. It's absolute complete and total garbage IMO. I don't live in the middle of nowhere and my calls are dropped all the time. I can't even get my voicemail unless I'm in the 3G zone and that's not very often. My question is: Does anyone know if Apple will ever offer an IPhone for Verizon? I would switch back in a heartbeat if they ever did. I can't understand WHY Apple would want to be affiliated with such a terrible cell service. There was even an article on Yahoo the other day about how AT&T is rated the WORST carrier in the USA. Yes, the phone is great but at the end of the day you have to be able to actually USE the phone and with AT&T I can't use the features that I like so much MOST of the time. That's totally unacceptable... DH and I are thinking about cancelling our contract with AT&T and going back to Verizon. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DH has the IPhone for work. He loves the phone; but hates AT&T. He is always getting dropped calls or no coverage. I have Verizon and have no problems. As much as I would love to have the IPhone, I will not switch to AT&T. My sister and her husband have the IPhone and have the same problems (they live in RI).
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to when I had AT&T years ago, service is much better. However, it really does leave something to be desired. A friend of mine who has AT&T but not an iPhone also experiences a lot of dropped calls, so it's the service and not the phone. I certainly hope that Apple doesn't do anything crazy like change the SIM card or anything like that if and when they offer iPhones.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

There are rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon, latest put it around summer of 2010. BUT, personally, I don't know if AT&T is going to let the contract slide. It's proably the only thing keeping people from making the switch to Verizon.

I will say that I've never had any problems with dropped calls, etc. Sure, I'm not always runing with 3G but I do get cell coverage and ultimately, that's what's important on a cell phone.

My experience with Verizon makes me shudder at the thought of going back. They tend to nickle and dime you to death and overall I've found their plans are offered at a higher cost.

I do hope that Verizon gets the iPhone in the end. It can only help the iPhone community if more poeple get it, PLUS who knows it may even spur a price war to get the cost down on the device and maybe even the service.

For now though, there's nothing that comes close to the usefulness of the iPhone. And if you jail break the device, the world is your oyster.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using an iPhone since the fist day they came out and I was an AT&T/Cingular customer for years prior. I now live in the sticks but I lived in San Diego a couple of years ago and I've traveled some around the country including Disney World and Hawai'i. I cannot rememeber more than a couple of dropped calls in all these years. I'm not even sure if they were my problem or issues with the other party.

I do wish there was more 3G coverage with AT&T. I use Edge unless I'm in Dallas. Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm like you ... love, love, LOVE my iPhone, but hate, hate, HATE the service.

I have to say, I can't actually fathom any service worse than AT&T. I would estimate that I drop at least once on about 80% of my calls. My "3G" (and I use that term loosely) coverage is iffy at best and often my service is unavailable (both data and voice) even though my phone says I have full bars on 3G. And listen ... I live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. I'm not out in the sticks!

If iPhone becomes available on Verizon I will run not walk ... I had Verizon before and their service was impeccable compared to AT&T's. At least from an availabity standpoint anyway. Customer service was pretty bad.

Work pays for my phone, though, so I'm pretty much stuck until we can maybe move our corporate plan.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got my 1st iPhone when the 3GS came out and maybe being in a good coverage area (Twin Cities) I have never had a dropped call and unless I am in some buildings I always have 3G. The iPhone is a great device. I did have a dropped call when I was in the middle of driving from Twin Cities to Milwaukee.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I have to say, I can't actually fathom any service worse than AT&T.
    I can - nextel! Several years ago DH and I thought nextel would be great with the push to talk service. We were counting down the days to switch back to AT&T.
    But in regard to the op. I do not have any issues where I'm at, only a couple of dropped calls. A couple of weeks ago in Vegas I did have some areas that were edge, but I was still able to access voicemail.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in the market for a new phone last year I SOOOOOOOO wanted the iPhone (and still do) but ONLY stayed away because I could not bring myself to switch from my Verizon service to AT&T.

DH is a huge Apple fan and has been following the rumors that Verizon may get the iPhone - and there are MANY different rumors out there! One rumor is that T-Mobile may get the iPhone and not Verizon. So, I am just going to wait it out and HOPE that the Verizon rumor comes true.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the iPhone coming to Verizon probably would likely occur not before late 2010 with 2011 more likely as Verizon starts their transition to their LTE network- also would be reasonable to expect that would mark the opportunity for Apple to transition to a full in-house SOC developed by PA Semi (considering that Apple acquired them in 2008, that would fit with a conservative 2-3 year lead time necessary to develop the appropriate chipset).

The technical challenges, licensing and ROI to bring an EVDO/CDMA chipset for an iPhone to Verizon doesn't make a lot of sense (and has also been stated on earnings calls as a direction Apple would not take given the limited international markets for that technology)- and both Apple/Verizon being able to seize the LTE launch as favorable for both companies since Verizon paid out a hefty fee for the C block licenses during the 700 Mhz spectrum auction, and AT&T likely not starting their transition to LTE until at least 2012 having committed to using HSUPA and HSPA+ as a bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange to be reading all of these complaints....it may just be a location problem. Our entire immediate family has had ATT for years and I got my new 3GS IPhone in August.....I have had absolutely NO problems at all with ATT service or my IPhone. It has been great. In fact my entire family including extended family members across the US have ATT and many have IPhones as well....they have not had any problems either. I have to say that I do love my IPhone.....and all of the apps that are available. It is just wonderful. Just sorry that it took me so long to make the decision to switch to an IPhone.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Love my iphone but not as thrilled with AT&T. I had a regional carrier (Centennial) for years but switched last summer to get the iphone. My AT&T experience is not as bad as some of you are reporting but it's not as good as my old Centennial!

AT&T - fewer bars in more places!!!!!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    There are rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon, latest put it around summer of 2010. BUT, personally, I don't know if AT&T is going to let the contract slide. It's proably the only thing keeping people from making the switch to Verizon.
    This is just hearsay but my brother works for Verizon and says the iPhone is coming in Feb. or March 2010.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

For reference, when I use my phone for business calls, I invariably have to dial back into conference calls at least once per meeting due to dropped calls. Very embarassing. This was the case with both my 3G and my new 3Gs. Go figure!

There are also parts of my apartment where I have no phone coverage whatsover (and did with T-Mobile), but I expected that when I switched back to AT&T. At least with this phone, I don't have to practically hang out my bedroom window to get a signal.

And worst service ever? Sprint, hands down.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

The current contract between Apple and AT&T as the sole carrier of iPhone is up in 2010. It will then be made available to other wireless providers (highest bidder, I suppose).

I have had AT&T for 10 YEARS, in different areas (albeit all in California). I have had issues with dropped calls ONLY on specific phones! I had a Sony Ericsson phone a couple years ago that would drop EVERY call. No joke. I switched to a Motorola Razor and it immediately stopped happening. Since I've had my Razor (about 14 months now), I've had ZERO dropped calls. My sister has an iPhone. She lives about 45 min away from me. Her calls drop all the time. I really do believe it is the PHONE, not the service, a lot of the time. Some smartphones are just better at being PHONES than others. The iPhone is one of these. Its functionality as a PHONE is pretty poor.

To solve that issue, although it seems like heresy to say this: have two separate devices. I want all the functionality of the iPhone, but not the phone itself. So, I'm keeping my Razor and getting an iPod touch. The Touch does EVERYTHING that the phone does, except be a phone. No, it's not on a 3G network, it's Wi-Fi, but that's good enough for me! My Razor is on the network, so when I HAVE to go online for something and I'm away from home, I can use the phone. Plus, that $30/month data service is pretty high! I pay $15/month for unlimited data on my Razor. The difference in yearly data fees pays for the iPod touch...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Genie1953 View Post
    Strange to be reading all of these complaints....it may just be a location problem.
    Not strange at all. There are entire websites (and apps) devoted to how terrible AT&T's service is. It's not a location problem ... it's a nationwide problem that's been the subject of countless newspaper and television stories.

If you honestly have no issues, count yourself lucky. You're in a very small minority.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I really do believe it is the PHONE, not the service, a lot of the time.
    That's actually my theory as well, but not exactly ... I suspect that the iPhone doesn't handle the sudden switch from the 3G network to the Edge network gracefully and that the real problem is due to AT&T's dubious 3G coverage.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should consider myself lucky then. I've had my iPhone since June, and can count on one hand the number of calls I've had 'drop'. I do have occassional problems with service though, and interestingly enough, it's while I'm at Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my iphone as well. I drop a lot of calls, but mostly at home as we living in an old brick building in the city and are surrounded by other old brick buildings. Generally I don't have any more or less than I did with Verizon.

Heres the thing... If you don't have your phone in a protective case DO IT! I had mine a tad over a month and I dropped it on my kitchen floor... the screen is all cracked. It still works and I need to take it to get fixed, but sigh, it was a sad sad day none the less.

PS I just dropped a call while typing this!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago (5+) I had issues with my phone service with AT&T. I actually got phone calls from AT&T asking where(specifically) I had issues. Guess what the service actuay improved!
    So hopefully with all the "map" commercials and websites dedicated to the poor service of AT&T, they will look to improve again!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teambricker04 View Post
    Heres the thing... If you don't have your phone in a protective case DO IT! I had mine a tad over a month and I dropped it on my kitchen floor... the screen is all cracked. It still works and I need to take it to get fixed, but sigh, it was a sad sad day none the less.
    I'm using the OtterBox Defender case and I can't recommend it enough. I've dropped my phone a couple times getting out of the car (onto asphalt) and at least once onto my granite kitchen floor iPhone looks like new. The case is still in good shape too. It is a $50 case however...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: