Quantcast Splash Mountain closed in Jan! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright everyone, first and foremost, INTERCOT does not allow personal attacks. I've gone through and cleaned up this thread, which contained some very un-INTERCOT like posts. Please keep things friendly, cordial and helpful or this thread will be closed.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I have to say that I just heard about spash being closed while we are there and I am devistated by it. It is my favorite ride and it would have been my 7 yr old DD first time on it. We were just talking about it and watching a video of it this afternoon and she was very excited to go on it. I know she will be upset about not being able to go on it but will be okay as there is so much more to do. I had no idea that splash is referbed that time of year every year as I do not go every year, this is my second trip(1991) and families first so we had no idea. I did know that any ride has a possibility of being down during off peak times. I will definitly miss it and the memories. I should point out that it is not easy for everyone to just plan another trip, sometimes people only get one trip in a lifetime to enjoy WDW. Is there a historical refurbe thread here or does anyone know a site with one? It does seem like a lot of people responding to this thread have a place to find out if a ride goes down at the same time each year and that woud be very helpfull to share.
    Hope your daughter enjoys her first ride on splash when she gets to.

Post Thanks / Like

wow...I guess I missed a pretty heated discussion on the closing of a ride for rehab. And as hard as it is for anyone from Big Orange country to side up with anything "Gator," I do understand his frustration (and will actually endure it (we will in the MK on Jan 4 ).

Disney vacations, for whatever reasons, tend to come with a much higher level of expectation (and emotional commitment) than others vacations do . And thus when the plans go awry, it can be genuinely upsetting.

Sometimes folks just need to vent a little so they can move on and enjoy their stay when they are there. I figure this (intercot) is as good a place as any for them to vent, since the folks here are among the few who understand the emotional dynamic that WDW seems to elicit among the faithful.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Disney vacations, for whatever reasons, tend to come with a much higher level of expectation (and emotional commitment) than others vacations do . And thus when the plans go awry, it can be genuinely upsetting.

Sometimes folks just need to vent a little so they can move on and enjoy their stay when they are there. I figure this (intercot) is as good a place as any for them to vent, since the folks here are among the few who understand the emotional dynamic that WDW seems to elicit among the faithful.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I actually felt better after I screamed about it on Intercot. And a few people actually understand my point of view. This could be our last time to WDW for a very loooongg time, so I wanted everything as perfect as can be. Nobody likes a fly in the ointment - and for me, this is more like a fly the size of Jeff Goldbloom.

And thanks to the moderators for trimming out the venom before I saw it.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Gator,
    I actually understand your disappointment and surprise. I had no idea that Splash Mtn goes down every January and we were looking at a late January trip this year. My DD is so looking forward to riding Splash, since her brother rode it 2 years ago and convinced her it was the best ride in the world. She is now just tall enough to ride, so she is very much looking forward to it. Knowing now it won't be open, along with Crystal Palace being closed, we are seriously looking at backing our trip up since those are two must see items for us. I am sorry that others took your post so literally, but there are many of us out here that don't follow the historical refurb schedule and only get to Disney once every few years. Therefore, we typically only look at what will impact our upcoming trip and don't follow the schedule religiously every few months. Good luck with your trip and hopefully you guys will still have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you are disappointed, but you have to let this go. You are blaming this solely on WDW. You are blaming WDW for what you think will just crush your child. I have been crushed harder for things you wouldnt believe. This is a minor setback. These refurbs are all scheduled to make the least impact on their guests and for safety. I have been to both WDW and DL and there has always been something closed due to refurbs or cutbacks. Universal and Sea World have the same thing every year or any other park for that matter. I have never seen someone on here just so upset about things like this. God only knows there are more important things in this world to worry about. I would see if you can move it to another time if you are going to be this upset.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand peoples frustration when a ride is going to be refurbed during your stay especially when its going to be your only trip for a long while. I had to learn the hard way as well but we are fortunate to go almost every year.

Also for info purposes here is a link to the list Intercot maintains for closings/refurbs.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

How far in advance do they post attractions that are getting refurbished? Do they do it six months in advance?
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

There is always something closed during value season. But we still prefer it because the prices are better and a lot less crowds.
    We went n Jan 2007 and Splash Mtn was closed but my dd6 went back on Big Thunder over and over and over! She loved it!
    I bet your dd will love will love Big Thunder, Soarin and Test Track, all of which have the same height restrictions as Splash Mtn.
    CSR - Dec 2009
    POFQ - Jan 2007
    All Star Music - Oct 2003

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to let Gator know that I am totally with you. I have had my share of breakdowns over this type of thing and, yes, it isn't logical, but I have the right to get upset over anything I want. I don't usually post it though. So no one knows except my room mates (and my neighbors depending how upset I really am). I'm glad your chance to vent has calmed you down. I think it is good that you can prepare your daughter ahead of time, so any disappointment will be dealt with long before you get there. I go to WDW every January and I've ridden Splash Mountain several times, so it isn't down every year (or at least not for the entire month). It was down in 2009 for most of the month, but it opened the night before it was scheduled (and my last night there), so I got on! I was so excited. And I am doubly happy now (that I got on this year) because I will miss it next year. My sister usually only goes once every 3 - 4 years and missed it completely (she's a wimp and didn't want to ride it at night because it was too cold). She is going again next year, but will miss it again and probably won't be back for 3 - 4 more years. So I really feel bad for her and others that don't have this oppurtunity. And by the way, riding splash mt in January is the best. If you go first thing in the morning and it's a cold and dreary day, you can sometimes ride it 2 or 3 times in a row! Personally I think Disney is big enough that they can plan these things a year in advance. That way we can make our plans based on the schedule (and be sure to leave a cushion because they are never up when they say they will be.) I understand they have to do refurbs, but I think they could handle it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious...if Splash is supposed to be closed for all of January and February why isn't it listed here on infocentral? CP closing is listed but nothing about Splash. Are we sure the dates of this closing rumor are even accurate?
    Last edited by sisterslovindisney; 10-13-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sisterslovindisney View Post
    Just curious...if Splash is supposed to be closed for all of January and February why isn't it listed here on infocentral? CP closing is listed but nothing about Splash. Are we sure the dates of this closing rumor are even accurate?
    Because it has not been officially announced by Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Melanie,
    We are heading to the World on January 3rd so I'm hoping the rumored dates are a little off.
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ridden Splash in years and it's one of my favorites. Seems like I'm either pregnant or the ride is being refurbed. It is disappointing, but hey, I'm still in Disney so I don't worry about it. We've been several times in Jan/Feb and it seems like they do a lot of refurbs in the off season, which by the way, makes total sense. Heck, I'm just glad stuff is getting maintained.

As far as kids go, your reaction makes a big difference in their reaction. If you maintain your cool and go with the "there's always next time" attitude your daughter will likely handle it much better.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sad to hear it will be closed for our trip in February. But, it will be open again. I don't think a 2 month closing of SM is as horrible for "regular" guest as an almost year long closing of Space Mnt.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can direct your DD attention to another ride...My DGD 4, loved Sorin, she loved Tinkerbell at the end. Maybe get her excied to see this ride and take the attention away from Splash.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with the original poster on this one. Splash did not used to close every January and I would expect that Disney would be able to stager a planned shutdown so that it does not fall into the same time period every year. This will be my third January trip where it was closed. I would say that anyone on here that is as mad as I am do what I did and send an e-mail asking them to change the refurb dates.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Because it has not been officially announced by Disney.

Except that it has been officially announced for a few weeks at least now on the Disney site. The dates shown on disneyworld.disney.go.com are for January 3, 2010 to Feb. 27, 2010. I've got it open in another tab right now!
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post

Except that it has been officially announced for a few weeks at least now on the Disney site. The dates shown on disneyworld.disney.go.com are for January 3, 2010 to Feb. 27, 2010. I've got it open in another tab right now!
    Thats the other problem I have with this. You used to be able to go on the Disneyworld web site and easily find the planned closers and rehab dates. Now its like an act of Congress to navigate the web site to and find the info. This is most likely intentional but is also bad form. Again, e-mail them and tell them you want the dates changed if you are traveling during this time. They may ignore one or two but will not ignore everyone.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: