Quantcast Just returned and disappointed in Dining - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"If that wasn't enough we saw new food being put on top of old food which would explain why my cornbread was so tough that I could knock on the table with it!"

THIS is really GROSS! Marrying is actually against many food regulations. The stuff on the bottom never gets eaten and therefore starts to become rancid, causes food poisoning. I know this from working in a restaurant, myself.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from a 6 day stay(9-13 - 9-18) and I must say we were disappointed too.
    Here's my run-down:
    Tutto Italiano EPCOT- 1st time there. Wonderful food and service! My DH had rack of lamb, I had Tortelli with veal in sage butter and DS had spaghetti. EVERYTHING was perfect!
    MaMa Melrose - HS - biggest disappointment of the trip. 3 years in a row we've loved it. This time it was horrible! They've cut the menu down so much, there's hardly nothing to choose from. What they did have wasn't good. Service was poor. We won't be back.
    CP-MK - Not as good as privious years. 4th year in a row eating there. They've removed our favorites off the buffet line. Characters were horribly rushed.
    CM - Contemporary - 1st time. Celebrated my DS's B'Day. Excellent waiter, mediocre food.
    Tusker House - AK - Really good B'Fast. 1st time there, pleasant surprise!
    CS Restaurants didn't seem as good either. I noticed they took away the topping bar at Electric Umbrella. Captain Cook's at the Poly was better than before.
    All in all, we were very disappointed in the food and choices. It was especially frustrating for us because we paid for our DP (because we got a 40% off pin code for our room at the Poly). I think next year we'll eat only TS at the WS.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Though i do contest that NYC is "in the area" of Northeast Pa

Some of the locations you mentioned are the best at WDW....others i find highly and universally overrated (narcoosee's and le cellier)
    Yeah, yeah....NYC is a little out of NEPA, but we do get there somewhat regularly, so we consider it home!

I also forgot to mention Morton's....I honestly believe the filets we've gotten at Narc's and Cali Grill are right on par with Morton's. I would even say that the filet we get at Le Cellier is quite comparable.

I have to giggle when you say Narcoossee's is so overrated...if anything, I feel it's WAY underrated. It is (to us) the absolute best restaurant on WDW property, or off (except for V&A, of course). But, to each his own.

I hope you do choose V&A for your special meal. We aren't going there this time, but we do go at least every other visit. It is such a wonderful place.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Yeah, yeah....NYC is a little out of NEPA, but we do get there somewhat regularly, so we consider it home!

I also forgot to mention Morton's....I honestly believe the filets we've gotten at Narc's and Cali Grill are right on par with Morton's. I would even say that the filet we get at Le Cellier is quite comparable.

I have to giggle when you say Narcoossee's is so overrated...if anything, I feel it's WAY underrated. It is (to us) the absolute best restaurant on WDW property, or off (except for V&A, of course). But, to each his own.

I hope you do choose V&A for your special meal. We aren't going there this time, but we do go at least every other visit. It is such a wonderful place.
    Haven't been to V&A in a few years either...so it would be a nice treat....

narcoosee's has a bad staff...and to be honest, nothing really stands out there for me....
    i also saw the most ridiculous, unprofessional behavior there once by the chef and manager...so you see where i'm coming from

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdw_bound View Post
    Actually, they figured out a way. We went for breakfast on our last trip, and the ham was still refrigerated cold in the middle, but hot on the outside . I brought it to the server's attention, and she just shrugged. One of the other servers overheard and had it taken off the buffet. It was brought back out while I was at the buffet, only to be taken immediately back to the kitchen after one of the staff touched a slice (there's this neat invention called a thermometer, folks...). On top of this, the potatoes were undercooked, and there was half an omelet under our table...
    We have dined at 1900 PF for the last time, and actively advise friends against it as well.

The omelet is what sets me off! That is unnaceptable! If you are going to leave an omelet under a table, leave the WHOLE thing or dont leave any of it! You know what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped expecting "great things" from Disney Dining when I ate at the California Grill for the first time a few years ago (at the START of the DDP, and BEFORE this supposed "decline" of Disney Dining).

I had the filet. After hearing RAVE reviews from here to the ends of the earth about this dish, I was SORELY disappointed. Although I was on the DDP, if I had paid OOP, this filet was priced higher than a LARGER filet at Ruths Chris Steakhouse, which, in my opinion, blows CA Grill out of the water, both in terms of food AND service. This filet was no better than the cuts of meat I purchase regularly from Costco, and cook at home.

My husband and I frequent Ruth's Chris on special occasions, and it is an expensive meal for two, but I feel that, even though it's a chain steakhouse, it's WAY more a "fine dining" experience than CA Grill. And, the service is heads and shoulders above too. If CA Grill is considered a "signature" restaurant at Disney, I'm not bothering with any more of those. Waste of time and money.

For me, Disney isn't about the food anymore. I'm happy to spend a week there and eat mostly counter service. There ARE some really good CS locations. You just have to find them. At this point, I'd rather NOT spend countless hours at mediocre table service meals. We do a couple in the space of a week, just to break the monotony of CS dining. There are a few places we frequent, based on past good experiences, like Kona Cafe, Tutto Italia, and 'Ohana (yes, we DO like it...never had a bad dinner there. ALWAYS been excellent). But, three sit down meals in a week is plenty for us.

Here's a thought...STOP PURCHASING THE DDP and use your dining money more wisely. Frequent the GOOD locations, and stop going to the BAD ones. Eventually, Disney will take the hint. But, only if enough people do it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

narcoosee's has a bad staff...and to be honest, nothing really stands out there for me....
    i also saw the most ridiculous, unprofessional behavior there once by the chef and manager...so you see where i'm coming from
    You may have had a bad experience, but I have never seen anything but the most professional and exemplary service there. Now, I have had extremely rude and unprofessional service at Citricos, and that's why we won't return. We've also had a useless server at Cali Grill once (never saw him there again after that one time), but that can happen.

I will always overlook something that happens once. Things can and will happen. That's why we still love Cali Grill. Citricos was two bad experiences for us, so they don't get a third strike. Too much money spent to be treated like low class customers.

What stands out to me at Narc's?.....their almond crusted cheesecake (to die for), scallops (when they have them), baked whole lobster (I don't know how they get their lobster so darn sweet, and their potatoes gratin is the best I've ever had anywhere), crab cake app (soooo good), and DH loves their seafood chowder. They also have Conundrum wine, which I adore.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I had the filet. After hearing RAVE reviews from here to the ends of the earth about this dish, I was SORELY disappointed. Although I was on the DDP, if I had paid OOP, this filet was priced higher than a LARGER filet at Ruths Chris Steakhouse, which, in my opinion, blows CA Grill out of the water, both in terms of food AND service. This filet was no better than the cuts of meat I purchase regularly from Costco, and cook at home.
    See this just goes to show you how subjective the topic of food is, because IMO Ruths Chris is the single most overrated restaurant on the planet.

I am a steak connoisseur. I've eaten steaks in some of the finest restaurants in America and I have never been more disappointed than I was the first time I ate at a Ruths Chris. All I heard was about how great they were, but my steak (which was the best cut they offered) was tough, dry, overcooked (I ordered it medium rare), and near tasteless.

On the flip side, I just sampled the filet at Cali Grill a couple weeks back and thought it was fantastic. I didn't order it (I had the ostrich, which was also delicious), but a couple folks at my table did and it was definitely one of the better cuts of meat I've ever had.

Honestly, I would never, ever bother going to a Ruths Chris again. The steaks I get at Outback are better.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I didn't order it (I had the ostrich, which was also delicious), but a couple folks at my table did and it was definitely one of the better cuts of meat I've ever had.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I've never had ostrich. What's it like? I'm curious....
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I've never had ostrich. What's it like? I'm curious....
    Well you'd think it would be more like poultry, but actually it's very, very similar to a lean filet.

In fact, if I put it on your plate without telling you what it was, I think you'd immediately assume I had just given you a steak.

The flavor is very similar to a filet, as well, only very lean and tender. I actually had never had it before and took a flier on it, but I really, really liked it. I would definitely order it again.

Then again, I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to food. There's very little I won't at least give a try. Except for "crispy eel roll!"
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    See this just goes to show you how subjective the topic of food is, because IMO Ruths Chris is the single most overrated restaurant on the planet.

I am a steak connoisseur. I've eaten steaks in some of the finest restaurants in America and I have never been more disappointed than I was the first time I ate at a Ruths Chris. All I heard was about how great they were, but my steak (which was the best cut they offered) was tough, dry, overcooked (I ordered it medium rare), and near tasteless.

On the flip side, I just sampled the filet at Cali Grill a couple weeks back and thought it was fantastic. I didn't order it (I had the ostrich, which was also delicious), but a couple folks at my table did and it was definitely one of the better cuts of meat I've ever had.

Honestly, I would never, ever bother going to a Ruths Chris again. The steaks I get at Outback are better.
    Ian, I'm totally not trying to bust your chops, but for you to say you're a steak connoisseur and then to say you eat steak at Outback? In the same post? Come on now... If you go there for the bloomin' onion, maybe...

I wouldn't eat at Outback steakhouse again if someone paid me to. I find that to be one of the WORST restaurants in this country. We joke about how awful that place is...

Does go to prove your point about taste being subjective though.

Now, I'm not claiming that Ruth's Chris has the best steak on the planet, but in my few trips there, at LEAST at the one here where I live, the meal FAR surpassed the experience at CA grill. And it wasn't just MY filet at CA grill that was underwhelming. Two people at our table ordered it, and both were just "eh"... The other food was good, but it was nothing special. NOTHING at all like even the DESSERTS at Napa Rose...you want to try REAL California cuisine, go THERE!!!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

lockedoutlogic Guest

I find it amusing that the thread has become a discussion on steak...

so in regards to the steak at WDW...i have to chip in my two:

You get very consistent, good quality steak at WDW...
    but that's just it, it's too consistent. As all the "signature" locations basically roll out the same cut of the same steak and do relatively little to distringuish it.

sure you get it with a good sauce and mac and cheese at Jiko...and you get it barbequed at Cali Grill...you get it oak fired at several places....

but that's it. one of the tragedies at WDW is that the menus have become ridiculously cloned. breast of chicken, tenderloin, salmon are sure bets... mozzerella and tomato?...cheesecake?...chocolate cake?

i can phone in my order from nj without ever seeing the menu...and that is sad.

I make an effort now to get whatever is unique on the menu...be it buffalo...ostrich...whatever stands out in seafood

so i have to say: WDW isn't the place for steak. Not that you'll get a bad one...you'll just get a streamlined, mass produced one.

Not quite Outback...but you get it.

I'll go to Bobby Flay Steak or Mesa Grill if I really want some meat that has somekinda uniqueness to it (fire....in most cases)

infact - i just picked two menus and compared them: Citricos and Cali Grill

Tenderloin - Check
    Chicken Breast - Check
    Salmon - Check (different names...same stuff)
    PorkTenderloin - Check
    Boring Veggie Entree - Check
    Black Grouper? Check there too (Must have got a bulk discount)

way too predictable...six staples and one or maybe two unique things...at best

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should feel lucky that we don't put much into dining while at Disney. Counter service is counter service, no matter where you are. We don't bother going to the resorts for a meal, our favorite used to be Citricos,but when we stopped and figured out how much money and time we spent "experiencing fine dining at a theme park", we decided to skip that delicacy for another place. We enjoy Disney for the parks. From all the complaining, I now know we are not missing anything.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I guess I should feel lucky that we don't put much into dining while at Disney. Counter service is counter service, no matter where you are. We don't bother going to the resorts for a meal, our favorite used to be Citricos,but when we stopped and figured out how much money and time we spent "experiencing fine dining at a theme park", we decided to skip that delicacy for another place. We enjoy Disney for the parks. From all the complaining, I now know we are not missing anything.
    realizing of course that an hour's drive from WDW allows you to reverse course and go back to "fine dining" on any day you wish....

....something the majority of WDW patrons don't get to do...

and i bet you're coastal and have access to great seafood all the time

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Ian, I'm totally not trying to bust your chops, but for you to say you're a steak connoisseur and then to say you eat steak at Outback? In the same post?
    Hey ... there's a little thing called "the budget" ya know! I can't eat at Capital Grille or Morton's every day!

NOTHING at all like even the DESSERTS at Napa Rose...you want to try REAL California cuisine, go THERE!!!
    You're such a West Coast Snob.

You get very consistent, good quality steak at WDW... but that's just it, it's too consistent.
    Yeah, the homogenization of the menus over the last five years is a problem, I'll agree with that. We really noticed it on this last trip. Everywhere you go, the menus are so close to each other!

Probably why I ordered the ... you guessed it ... ostrich at Cali Grill!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread makes me think I'll save a little money and eat primarily outside of the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Reading this thread makes me think I'll save a little money and eat primarily outside of the parks.
    I totally agree. We did eat at chik-fil-a and mcdonalds and eating there I was like wow, this is edible. We are planning on camping in december and almost bought the dining plan cause with passholders we were looking at 435 for 7 nights; something LIKE that not for sure on the total. NOW im thinking, we are going to walmart for charcoal and steak and we will cook ourselves, at the campground. No eating out for us. Though, we will probably go over to boardwalk bakery for paninis and cheesecake brownies!!!!
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Put me in with the minority in this post that has never had a bad meal at WDW. Thirty-six years and if I had a bad meal I can't remember it now. Went in May and had fantastic meals at Garden Grill (which happens to be my favorite and loved the addition of the blueberry dessert), the Crystal Palace (I ate and ate and ate and ate and...you get the picture), San Angel Inn (food very good/atmosphere with table on river even better), Marrakesh special was a great deal as always, Yak and Yeti honestly the best crusted fish I have ever had, and many more. I can understand some have a bad meal every once in awhile but it blows my mind to read these bad reports from so many. Maybe its because I have never been during free dining, not sure but if everyone would start eating off property I could have them all to my self and literally eat until I blew up!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    Put me in with the minority in this post that has never had a bad meal at WDW. Thirty-six years and if I had a bad meal I can't remember it now. Went in May and had fantastic meals at Garden Grill (which happens to be my favorite and loved the addition of the blueberry dessert), the Crystal Palace (I ate and ate and ate and ate and...you get the picture), San Angel Inn (food very good/atmosphere with table on river even better), Marrakesh special was a great deal as always, Yak and Yeti honestly the best crusted fish I have ever had, and many more. I can understand some have a bad meal every once in awhile but it blows my mind to read these bad reports from so many. Maybe its because I have never been during free dining, not sure but if everyone would start eating off property I could have them all to my self and literally eat until I blew up!
    It is just not the meal itself, but the choice. There was a time when you could go to the park in the morning and have numerous great choices for breakfast. Not any more. You either have to pay way too much for a character meal or get a sub-McDonalds standard breakfast sandwhich that has been sitting under a heat lamp. The ABC Commisary being the worst of the worst. Blech!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    NOW im thinking, we are going to walmart for charcoal and steak and we will cook ourselves, at the campground.
    That sounds like a lot of fun!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: