Quantcast Walk away from hot topics

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you walk away from a "hot topic"?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

12 21.43%
  • Sometimes

37 66.07%
  • Never

7 12.50%

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    It's wonderful that in all your time here you've never witnessed those things. However, I've seen some really "horrifyingly rude" things said about handicapped people and overweight people. And no, it was not in the guise of expressing an opinion, these were just straight out ugly, insulting things to say.
    Oops look ... I quoted your post again! I failed!

No but seriously ... Did you blow the whistle on these posts to report them to INTERCOT staff? If so, were they edited?

And in regards to the cheating the system posts, I actually agree with you on that one. I've seen people blasted for what I think is a legitimate, if not somewhat naiive, question. Not to mention that, although INTERCOT has a strict no cheating the system policy, most people don't know that when they first sign up (and let's face it ... a lot of other Disney fan sites encourage and advocate ways to cheat the system) so they may not really know they're breaking the rules.

Although in fairness, no one gets it worse than the "Disney is building a theme park in my backyard!" folks!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I do love and appreciate that you keep your sense of humor!

Admittedly, no, I did not report the worst posts that I saw. However, there were two reasons for this. The first is that I saw the worst of it when I was very new to the site and it actually didn't occur to me to report them. Now I would. The second is that the people who were making these posts weren't new to the forum, based on their number of posts, and in most cases moderators already seemed to be aware of the thread because they'd made posts to it themselves.

There is a third reason and I'm a bit stuck on that one, but it would be inappropriate to list it here.

I do groan when someone asks one of those naive questions, but not as much as I groan with the inevitability that someone's going to say something accusatory. I don't envy the mods jobs and I completely understand and respect the no discussion of cheating rule. It's a good one! It would be really nice to see people simply state the Disney rules or policy on whatever's being asked without adding a comment accusing that person of dishonesty. Now, if someone comes out and says "How do I get around this rule?" That's totally different.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post

Ian, I do love and appreciate that you keep your sense of humor!

Admittedly, no, I did not report the worst posts that I saw. However, there were two reasons for this. The first is that I saw the worst of it when I was very new to the site and it actually didn't occur to me to report them. Now I would. The second is that the people who were making these posts weren't new to the forum, based on their number of posts, and in most cases moderators already seemed to be aware of the thread because they'd made posts to it themselves.

There is a third reason and I'm a bit stuck on that one, but it would be inappropriate to list it here.

I do groan when someone asks one of those naive questions, but not as much as I groan with the inevitability that someone's going to say something accusatory. I don't envy the mods jobs and I completely understand and respect the no discussion of cheating rule. It's a good one! It would be really nice to see people simply state the Disney rules or policy on whatever's being asked without adding a comment accusing that person of dishonesty. Now, if someone comes out and says "How do I get around this rule?" That's totally different.
    Look!! I quoted you again! Didn't think I'd do it, did you??

And I hear you, but listen ... don't ever be intimidated by someone's perceived status on the site. Even mods, at times, say things they shouldn't say in the heat of the moment and even they need to be held accountable for it.

Trust me ... I say this based on long, painful, and extensive experience.

The only thing I'll say is, before you blow the whistle, make sure what you're reading is really offensive and not just something you took personally because it's a hot issue for you.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

And I hear you, but listen ... don't ever be intimidated by someone's perceived status on the site. Even mods, at times, say things they shouldn't say in the heat of the moment and even they need to be held accountable for it.

The only thing I'll say is, before you blow the whistle, make sure what you're reading is really offensive and not just something you took personally because it's a hot issue for you.

What Ian said .

Seriously, all of us, mods included, can say something that may come off as offensive. I can't speak for all, but I know when I have done it, it was most definitely unintentional with malice towards none. Just sometimes when stating an opinion (and that is what it is, an opinion) people let their emotions come through. We all have a bad day every now and then, even Ian .
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    We all have a bad day every now and then, even Ian .
    Yeah ... Some of us more than others!!!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... Some of us more than others!!!
    Hey, what are you trying to say there ? (Everyone, we are just joking around...)
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Is this the right room for an argument?
    No, sorry. This is abuse.

Personally, I love a good debate. My bigger problem is with those who seem to make a profession out of being offended. The lack of honest and sincere dialogue in this country is, in my opinion, largely responsible for the disasterous mess we've sunk into. If people could have open, respectful debates with one another instead of just immediately shouting opposing voices down, we might not have degenerated into this partisan "my side is better than your side" garbage we now see on a daily basis.

My advice? If you feel as though you can't tolerate opposing viewpoints and they make you so angry that you feel like you "have to walk away", then yeah ... walk away. But even better would be if you could just stop and think for a moment what the other guy is saying and maybe even look for a shred of common ground there. There are ways to disagree with one another that can be respectful and productive at the same time.

Stepping down off my soapbox now ...
    Here, here!

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Cheeky!

No problem!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: