Quantcast Too Much Noise

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Too Much Noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Much Noise

Has anyone noticed the increased noise levels everywhere you go? I'm an older adult, but I'm not deaf - yet

When I go to the movies, I have to wear ear plugs because the volume is too high.

When we go to a restaurant, the decibels prevent a normal conversation. The recorded music competes with the voices bouncing off the hard surfaces.

The shows at Disney World are reflecting this trend. I know the show must be heard over voices, kids, etc., but it's almost painful without ear plugs.
    Just Jill.......

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I agree! And I am hard of hearing.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about the movies, especially the introductions. It's really LOUD and I'm in my 30's. Some restaurants are really loud too. I'm not sure the reason for all of this.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean--that's one of the reasons I don't go to see movies at the theatre very much anymore, the audio just seems too loud. It doesn't help that I am very sensitive to loud noises anyway, especially in the evenings when my system is on auditory overload.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

And then there is the LOUD music in the mall stores where my kids like to shop. I took DD to Hollister --- couldn't wait to get out of there the other day.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I've just stopped going places that are too loud. My BF teases me a little about it, but he's started to realize that it's a major problem for us both. Last time in WDW we didn't do a single show, and I managed to get through Illuminations, but only because we had a spot away from a speaker and on the far side of the lagoon.

I'm very sensitive to loud noises (smells, bright lights) as well, so things like movie theatres, or worse arcades (shudder) will jangle my nerves and give me tension headaches for the rest of the day. I hate that it limits my options sometimes, but it's better that than to be miserable.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that it was just me. As you get older, you tend to lose hearing, so why would everything be louder now?

I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of digital technology and/or so many people being plugged into their iPods and other personal entertainment devices.

I don't know, but it seems so hard to find quiet places anymore.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    I thought that it was just me. As you get older, you tend to lose hearing, so why would everything be louder now?

I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of digital technology and/or so many people being plugged into their iPods and other personal entertainment devices.
    The audio in theaters doesn't just seem louder, it is louder now and is sustained for longer periods of time. Sometimes I worry about my son's generation and whether they'll suffer significant hearing loss because they are constantly being subjected to (or subjecting themselves to) extremely high decibel noise levels.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    The audio in theaters doesn't just seem louder, it is louder now and is sustained for longer periods of time. Sometimes I worry about my son's generation and whether they'll suffer significant hearing loss because they are constantly being subjected to (or subjecting themselves to) extremely high decibel noise levels.
    I had to hold my hands over my grandson's ears when we were in Philharmagic. I, too, worry about the next generation being hearing-impaired.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

What?

"They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I took an audiology class last year and our instructor was the Aud. for the hearing clinic on our campus. She told us that it is sad but true that due to all of the loud music, shows, and even ipod use they are seeing noise-induced hearing loss in many more young people than before. We actually learned that it's only safe to listen to your ipod at 60% volume for 60 minutes - I know MANY MANY people who blow that rule to shreds.
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm amazed that people can hear anything. Once those little hairs are destroyed, they're gone for good.

I guess I'd better buy stock in hearing aids
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

I think I too will be buying stock in hearing aids! Yes, I totally agree that shows, movies, attractions, and public places are way too loud.

I have found that the further back you sit in a movie theater, the quieter it is. That might help a little...

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I had to laugh while reading this because it made me think of my DH. He is a drummer. Plays/teaches drumset and marching percussion. He has spent many, many years around drumlines and cymbal lines. You would think that he would have suffered some hearing loss. Nope! The guy has the most sensitive hearing ever. It's practically super-human. I have normal hearing and he's always telling me that I'm deaf and need to get my ears checked.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this, but the absolute worst "loud" is in church. Most contemporary worship teams are outrageously offensive.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    I hate to say this, but the absolute worst "loud" is in church. Most contemporary worship teams are outrageously offensive.

Yup! You're right about that. Loud is IN, even in your friendly house of worship.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

On my lunch hour last week I went to Jimmy John's to get a sandwich. The music was playing so LOUD, I had to yell my order at the cashier. I asked if there was reason the music had to be so loud and it was just stupid to have to yell to make myself heard. Thankfully it was a take out order. I don't know how someone could have sat in there and not gotten a headache.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jillluvsdisney View Post
    On my lunch hour last week I went to Jimmy John's to get a sandwich. The music was playing so LOUD, I had to yell my order at the cashier. I asked if there was reason the music had to be so loud and it was just stupid to have to yell to make myself heard. Thankfully it was a take out order. I don't know how someone could have sat in there and not gotten a headache.
    There are places I won't go because of the irritating and LOUD music. I think the employees get to pick their music, and the rest of us better like it or leave - ha!
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post

I don't know if our worship band is loud. (It's hard to tell from on stage.) But if it is, I have to pass the buck to the sound guy! Of course, he's in his 60's, so if he has us too loud, it's probably because he is hard of hearing!

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: