Quantcast Saving Money for Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dizneefan67 Guest

Default Saving Money for Disney

I was wondering how you guys save the money for trips to WDW. I currently have a trip planned for December 2010 and since I am on disability its hard to save for 14 months!
    I was just wonderng if my INTERCOT brothers and sisters have any ideas on how to save on a limited income or any ideas on ow to save the money...WITHOUT SPENDING IT!!

Thanks,
    Will

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to put away money every week - even if it's just $20 a week that adds up very quickly. Is there something that you can do without - cut back on the cable package, don't eat out one night a week, try to consolidate errands so that you save on gas.

I have my money in a savings account but will admit I’ve already had to “break into the bank” so to speak and took out money for a trip to Hershey Park. I know some people will purchase Disney Dollars or Disney gift cards with the money they save so that the funds are locked into Disney and not assessable for anything else.
    November 2010 - Fort Wilderness
    August 2008 – Pop
    April 2008 – Fort Wilderness
    November 2004 – Off Site – Cypress Point Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I try to put money away when I get my wage each month. but we also have a sealed tin that we can't open till its almost time to go and I fire in spare change when I empty my purse etc. Mostly pounds or 50ps (UK). opening it this weekend and hope to have at least £100-200
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

You can see if there is a vacation club at a financial institution near you. If you can save $10 a week that will be $600 by the time you go. I also purchase Disney gift certificates and Disney dollars, as the previous poster suggested, so I am less likely to spend the money before we get there. We also return cans/bottles for the 5 cents each. Although that doesn't sound like a lot, we have been known to get over $20 each time so that adds up too. If I know a Disney trip is approaching, I will ask for Disney gift cards, Disney dollars, and Southwest gift cards when someone asks what they can get my children, DH or myself for holidays. Every little bit helps.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I put all of our change in a container. We had a garage sale this summer and that helped a little. Also, I allow myself and my husband $30 personnal money a week (we are on a tight budget) and I put whatever I don't spend into and envelope. It adds up pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Madame Leona; 08-13-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this will help you, but it may help someone else.

At my employer I have a child care spend account with a max of $5,000 a year that is deducted from my check tax free. Since I never really get this money it is like a savings account-and I am using this for all of our travel throughout the year, there are 5 of us so I thought that seemed like a reasonable budget.

I have already planned for next year and think this will suffice for DH and I to try and go to Disneyland and Vegas in the Spring and another family trip in the fall. I also use my medical spend account for my Christmas budget.

Happy saving to you, having a family of 5 we know how hard it is to save money.

We also recycle soft drink cans-not alot of dough, but something easy to do that can get you a little savings. Also, I am trying to reduce our grocery bill (which is just common sense) and not waste money at the store.

Good luck-it will work out!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I have an online savings account with HSBC. It is free and I have it set up to keep taking out $30 a week from my checking account and put it into the savings account but you can change that anytime or do on-time transfers too if you want. This way it also collects interest, may not be much but it's free money. Then when I need the money I can use the debit card you get with it at ATM's, they have also reimbursed the ATM fees when I have taken money out in the past.

I guess though where you say "save it without spending it" like one person said get Disney Dollars or Gift Card then you can't spend it.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

My DH has a savings account with his credit union and he puts our Disney money in it every payday...This is good for us because I can't get it out myself and he can only get it out once a week...Makes the temptation of having it a lot less...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

If you were really, really, really, really disciplined...

You could get a Disney Visa Rewards card and use it for all of your expenses and gain the reward points which you can use towards park tickets and a bunch of other stuff. I think this would only be a bonus if you paid it off every month.
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

We never spend singles or fives. I have a jar for each, and since our trip in June, we have saved $300. It drives DW nuts...that is until it's time for the next trip. : )
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

We do a variety of things. If a "brand new" $10 bill comes into my possesion (or you can even make it the new $5 bills with the big purple 5 on it) then I automatically set it aside. We also do the change jar, Disney Visa (pay it off every month) but one of the biggest things is that I alter my checkbook. I'm VERY obsessive about balancing my checkbook EVERY morning on-line, but when I make a purchase, I round UP to the nearest $5 (meaning if I make a purchase which is $27.29, I mark it as $30 in my checkbook). If I have a deposit, I round DOWN to the nearest $5 (meaning if my deposit is $329.15 - I mark it as $325). This actually adds up tremendously. Good luck!! 14 months is pretty doable and you can find lots of good ideas on these threads. I love some of the ideas already posted!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I usually put money aside each week..not a lot and it really does add up. I make myself a chart for each week up until the day the final payment is due. This year since I just booked my trip for November, I will do it differently. I usually always book at least 6 months in advance but this year I didn't think I was going. So I will pay off my trip in just 2 big payments, so that I can start saving for spending money.

To save for spending money, I usually collect as many disney dollars as I can since they can only be spent in the parks its easier for me not to touch that money.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the ideas here, especially the Disney Dollars/Gift Cards. We try to put whatever we can from each paycheck into our savings account, even if it's as little as $5. Also, I have a lot of stuff that I've collected over the years that I've been selling on eBay and I try to leave that money in my Paypal account because it's a little harder to get to. We did one (non-Disney) trip completely on those two savings methods alone. We also put all our change into a bank. I love the idea of doing that with the 1's and 5's too!

Post Thanks / Like

I pay it in full with my income tax refund and do a package with dining, then I don't have to worry about it...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about doing this myself - do online surveys - some have it where you can have your money put into a paypal account if you pm me I'll send you the website I've been getting some info from.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

dizneefan67 Guest

Default A Big Thank You!

A BIG thank you goes out to ll who have contributed ideas and suggestions. Almost all of them are doable for me and will have to modify them just a bit to work with my situation!
    Again, to all for your input, I very much appreciate it!

Happy Trip Planning! I sincerely hope each of you have a wonderful trip!

Always,
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

We've got what we've dubbed "The Disney Fund." Its one of those 5 gallon water cooler jugs turned on its end. Whenever we have pocket change it goes right in. DD5 and DS2 always ask if they can put someing in the Fund. Last time we went we used this money for spending money while at the world. This time since we've got well over a year, hopefully we can save enough for the flight. Good Luck!
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

Post Thanks / Like

If you use Bank of America their keep the change program is a great way to save up some extra money. Just have go into a designated account for your Disney trips. Every time you use your Debit card for pruchases it rounds up to the nearest dollar and transfers the money into a savings account. I also use alot of the ideas listed above saving change and putting aside a little money each day/week. I found a good motivation is thinking about something you would spend money on without really thinking about it. I know in the morning alot of times I would get a bagel and coffee on my way to work. Some days a Soda or something on the way home. I would make the decision that today I will skip the soda or the bagel (skipping the coffee is just to dangerous to those around me) and put that money towards my trip. You would be surprised how motivational a trip to WDW can be and how quickly thise little things add up
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We have a separate vacation account set up. Each payday a set amount goes into the account at a different bank than our normal one. Works pretty slick!

The other thing we do is we save all our change and any money that is found in our laundry goes into the vacation pot. You would be surprised at how fast change and loose bills add up especially when it is "launderd" money!

Good luck!
    12/98' Caribbean Beach
    2/00' Dixie Landings
    11/01' Port Orleans-RS
    11/03' Port Orleans-RS
    2/05' Beach Club Villas
    3/07' Port Orleans-RS
    2/08' All Star Sports (for 1.5 days, but we still count it!)
    12/09' Port Orleans-FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I too recycle my bottles & cans for .05 and wait until I have a large # to take back. Then I take the money and buy Disney Dollars. I also take my loose change & throw that in an empty milk jug. While it's not a lot of money, every little bit helps.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: