Quantcast Contemporary

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contemporary

FINALLY, after all these years of visiting the world I have not stayed in the Contemporary until now. Here is my experience breakdown:

Theme Park View: there is nothing like it anywhere else in the other resorts (poly/GF). Although I must say the Poly has a great view in the Hawaii building. Contemporary Excellent view.

All in All though, the service was not too impressive compared to the GF and Poly. Our room made seemed a bit annoyed when most guests on our floor were sleeping in late. Too bad for her. Roomservice was very limited on items for a late night snack. Personally, it had too much of an apartment building feel, I prefer a resort feel such as the Poly and GF.

The pool was a ghost town at night and quiet during the day, go figure. 90+ degrees outside.

The thing that bothered me the most though was the convention that was going on during my stay. Never mix business with pleasure. Too many dorks walking around with lanyards around their necks dressed in suits talking buisness. The last thing I want to hear on my time away from the office on my vacation is anything to do with the word business. I think it is about time the Contemporary puts an eatery in the convention ctr so the corporate people don't mix in with vacationers.

Overall I give the Contemporary a B-. I enjoyed my stay there mostly for the view and newer rooms, however I would definitley NOT choose the Contemporary over the Poly or GF.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" -Saint Augustine

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! After multiple trips we have never seen any suits. Sorry your stay wasn't more enjoyable.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad to hear about the view since we will be staying there in Dec/Jan and hopefully during that time there won't be many suits around! This is our first stay at the Contemporary (actually the first stay at a deluxe although by that time we will have stayed at the WL for a few days) so do you have any advice or "secrets" that would be helpful for 3 adults who are just big kids during our stay? Is there a certain area I should request in the tower? We have a theme park view but I didn't know enough to request a certain end of the building or anything like that. Thanks for any advice!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Contemporary last year, and I totally agree with you. Overall, I felt there was no theming, and definitely an apartment feel. We too, encountered the business people. Another thing lacking to me is a food court. There was very little to choose from if you weren't sitting down at one of the restaurants. I'm not into cold, prepackaged sandwiches. It certainly will not be a place we will go back to.

buzz2001 Guest

Wow, its the first time I read anything about convention people at a WDW resort other than CSR.

The convention groups have the option to have there events catered but its up to the group to decide whether or not to spend the extra money or leave the group on their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more on Contemp

As long as you have a theme park view, you will be fine. Obviously the higher you go, the better it will be. I was on the 7th floor which is not too high and still it was great. Also, I was on the end closer to the Wilderness lodge and still it was a great view. So No worries as long as you have a theme park view.

As for the food selections (breakfast and lunch), Yes I too agree it was very limited unless you got into Chef mickeys. Good luck though without reservations.

Once again though Contemporary, keep the business conventions separate, build an eatery in the convention ctr.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" -Saint Augustine

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at the Contemporary a few times and agree with everything you said. The theme park view is great though. I love how at night you can see the flash from the picture being taken on Splash Mountain.
    84-Vistana
    85-Vistana
    87-Sonesta
    89-Vistana/Grand Floridian
    91-Vistana
    94-Vistana
    96-Contemporary
    98-Contemporary
    99-Polynesian
    01-Swan/Wilderness Lodge
    03-Vistana
    06-Hilton Grand Vacations Club

Oct 2010-Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    so do you have any advice or "secrets" that would be helpful for 3 adults who are just big kids during our stay? I

I enjoyed just relaxing one night and staying in my room on my balcony to watch the fireworks. After that we visited the other resorts (poly/GF).

Other then that, the Wave restaurant was nice but definitely try to get into the California Grill (top of the contemporary) for dinner during fireworks.

Chef Mickey's for breakfast, you will need a reservation, so book now. Book any restaurants 90 days out to avoid missing out.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

Post Thanks / Like

Besky, try to stay at the opppsite end of Chef Mickey. We stayed there in April and it was nice. The only drawback was at 7a.m. they blast music which wakes everyone up at that end of the hotel. We were also traveling with a little one, so it may not be that big of a deal to you.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Michael, that's a spot-on take of the Contemporary as I feel about it, too. The business hotel feel can really take away from your vacation relaxation.

I actually prefer the GF views, when you can get them. You're not as directly over the park, but you have a more relaxing view of the lagoon leading to the park and not parking areas around the lagoon, then park. The Contemporary is a great place to stay, not discouraging it, but I do prefer the Polynesian and the GF for relaxing vacation time at the resort. I love to dine at the California Grill and watch the fireworks there, and that's enough Contemporary per trip for me (besides some trips through on the monorail).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Your reasons for NOT liking the Contemporary are actually the reasons why I DO like it.

The "ghost town" pool? That's the way my family prefers it! I hate when a pool is crammed full of loud, crazy people, and so do my own kids. I like a LITTLE bit of peace and quiet, EVEN at WDW.

The "suits"? Who cares? I just feel bad for THEM! I'd hate to be at WDW on business and not be able to be having fun, but I don't even give them a second glance. AGAIN, I am glad that they are just not loud and obnoxious. At least they don't cause a ruckus...

And I LOVED the Contempo Cafe. I thought the selections were excellent. Definitely NOT prepacked cold sandwiches...the poster who wrote that must have visited before the CC was fully opened and complete, when they were operating the Tempo Grab and Go. The CC is one of the better CS locations at the deluxe resort level, in my humble opinion. I'd go back to the Contemporay JUST to eat there.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

And I LOVED the Contempo Cafe. I thought the selections were excellent. Definitely NOT prepacked cold sandwiches...the poster who wrote that must have visited before the CC was fully opened and complete, when they were operating the Tempo Grab and Go. The CC is one of the better CS locations at the deluxe resort level, in my humble opinion. I'd go back to the Contemporay JUST to eat there.[/QUOTE]

I guess I was there before that. We were there last September and the only place other than Chef Mickey's or one of the other restaurants was as you say a "Grab and Go." It was awful. There was basically a very limited choice available.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and again feel [after many stays] it is dead on.
    Simbajr4ever!

Planning 2014
    May
    September

Post Thanks / Like

Good info! We too are staying at the Contemporary for the first time ever in Nov after visiting for years ... and looking forward to a resort with a different feel.
    "You can say it backwards, which is... DOCIOUSALIEXPIISTIC- FRAGILCALIRUPUS. - But that's going a bit too far, don't you think? - indubitably."
    -:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:--

* YC *WL *BC *BW *CB *Swan *Dolphin *GF *Poly* POFQ*

Post Thanks / Like

It was interesting reading your review. I really wanted to stay at the Contemporary on an upcoming visit to WDW with my son, and for all the obvious reasons--proximity to the Magic Kingdom, bigger rooms, a room overlooking the MK (which is the only I was considering), the monorail runs through it and because it was one of the original WDW hotels. But I was conflicted as I have heard varied reports on housekeeping at the Contemporary, as well as the fact that the feel of it is a lot like some of the other upscale resort chains out there that we've stayed at, and the theming might not be "different" enough. In the end, my son made the choice that he would rather stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was the other resort I was considering. Although I'm a bit disappointed that we won't be staying at the Contemporary, I know it was the right choice for this trip. And your review has cemented that even further.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

im so glad thats just your opinion and not a fact!
    i absolutely LOVE it there!!! it was my dream resort since i was very little..and then finally at 25 for my honeymoon i got to stay there in the tower with a MK!! i was on cloud 9 the whole time..i couldnt be happier with my stay there!! i enjoyed every moment of it..and i hope and pray ill be able to stay there just one more time in my lifetime!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    im so glad thats just your opinion and not a fact!
    i absolutely LOVE it there!!! it was my dream resort since i was very little....i couldnt be happier with my stay there!! i enjoyed every moment of it..and i hope and pray ill be able to stay there just one more time in my lifetime!!
    i concur with your more factual opinion (i.e. i agree with you )...I stayed their the first time in the 70s and again a couple years back...and its one of my favorites.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as far as Disney World goes I've only ever stayed at the Contemporary, but I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and the Grand Californian. I honestly have to say that Contemporary is definitely my favorite out of all of them, even considering Grand Californian's warm theme. I've not even had a tower room (Well not yet, I do next week though! MK view.) I just love the overall design of the hotel, the business convention peoples don't really bother me I'm usually too excited to just be on vacation that I'm in a daze anyways.

I just love the fact the Monorail comes through the hotel its self, seems really cool to me. I miss the Concourse Steakhouse its a shame they replaced it with The Wave was one of my favorite places to eat in the resort. I haven't tried the Wave yet, and unfortunately I probably wont this year. Decided to try 'Ohana at the Poly instead, and Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian.

Besides the new decorations for the rooms are quite unique. (The crazy Kholer sinks in the bathroom is a great example.) So it does have its own theme, its meant to look like a ultra-modern business type resort.

That's why they have so many resorts though.. to each their own. Personally I doubt my family will ever go to any other hotel but The Grand Floridian, Poly, or Contemporary. They hate buses and love the Monorail.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Upcoming Trip: None planned at the moment.

2012 - Offsite
    2010 - CR
    2009 - CR
    2007 - CR
    2005 - CR
    Disneyland - Many Times 1985 - 2003

Post Thanks / Like

I truly think that staying at the Contemporary is a love it or hate it affair. There are those who maybe visit for breakfest at Chef Mickeys , or dinner at California Grill. There are those folks that are awwed at the monorail go through the hotel, or the views of the Magic Kingdom. But for my DH and I just as another poster stated, we love it for reason others hate it. We love empty pools, who wants to be bothered? And of course our favorite is being able to enjoy fireworks every night from the confort of our balcony, and not have to worry about fighting the crowds after the show.. I can't wait to go back !!

Contemporary 10/10
    Contemporary 10/09
    Contemporary 10/08
    Contemporary 10/07
    Contemporary 10/05
    Contemporary 10/04
    Contemporary 10/03
    Grand Floridian 10/02
    Caribbean Beach 6/00
    Caribbean Beach 98
    Caribbean Beach 97
    Caribbean Beach 95