Quantcast Disney to sell movies on flash memory cards in Japan

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney to sell movies on flash memory cards in Japan

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see anything about it, but I may have missed it.

TOKYO (Reuters Life!) - Walt Disney Co's Japan unit said it would sell movies on flash memory cards as small as a fingernail so that people can watch them on mobile phones and other portable devices.

The movie studio plans to package pre-recorded microSD cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content, allowing customers to watch at home as well as on the go. These cards will be available in November.

Users can watch movies stored on microSD cards on mobile phones capable of showing terrestrial digital broadcasting, and other portable gear such as car navigation systems.

For new movies, the package of a DVD and microSD card is expected to retail for 4,935 yen ($53), about 1,000 yen higher than the DVD alone, a spokesman at the Japan unit said.

It is difficult to make a sales forecast since this would be the first time for Disney to put its movies in microSD cards, he said.

Initial titles in the microSD format include "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "National Treasure" series.

Panasonic Corp is set to provide Disney with microSD cards, the spokesman said.
    Too many trips to count.
    DCP graduate.
    Counting down the days...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

1,000 yen more than a standard DVD? Yeah right. Maybe if the movie's been available on DVD for two years. Otherwise most DVDs run around 5,800 yen per. These things are NOT cheap in Japan. It boggles my mind how we're able to get them for significantly cheaper in the states.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a stupid question, but why would anyone want to watch a movie on a phone?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Its not specifically a phone. There are media extenders that allow you to copy DVDs to your computer and then stream it to your tv. With the latest nettop boxes coming out, digitizing your DVDs and watching them on your tv from a computer is far more efficient. Most DVDs I have in my collection have only be used once: to burn to my computer. Even the most careful person will get marks on a DVD from general use. I would prefer not having to pay twice for a DVD I already own.

DVDs are not going to go anywhere. The cost of the materials is far too cheap. The microSD card is for those that want to be techy. It will be loved by many, but not required by the majority.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but why would anyone want to watch a movie on a phone?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Its not specifically a phone. There are media extenders that allow you to copy DVDs to your computer and then stream it to your tv.
    No, this is definitely a phone they're talking about. Believe me, I live in Japan right now, and I know this is EXACTLY what they're talking about.

You ever hear about the train system here? Most people use it to commute, especially here in Tokyo. Many of the people commute from at least 2 hours outside the city by train (it's not practical or cheap to have a car here). Not only that but the trains are usually quite crowded, especially around 8 in the morning (I'm not sure when evening rush is). By crowded I don't mean US style crowded. I mean packed into the train car like sardines crowded. You literally CANNOT move. This took me a while to get used to but Japanese people have developed methods for dealing this and that includes playing video games on systems like the DS or PSP at these times or watching movies on their cell phones.

Bear in mind that Japan is usually ahead of the curve, and most phones here are capable of much more than they are in the states. This is something quite practical to them and the only reason it doesn't seem so to us is because the few phones we have that would actually be capable of doing this in the states at the moment are not cheap enough to be mainstream.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

$60 for a DVD? Wow ! I won't complain about prices here again.

Movies on cell phones make sense though it would be hard to see. Long hours on a commute in Japan and with no space, it seems like a perfect product. I do agree compared to the cell phones in Japan and some other countries, the affordable technology available in the U.S. is simpler, with less features. Selling movies on SD cards is a great idea. Once again, Japan excels in miniaturized technology. Good for Disney !
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Actually this has been discussed in the US for music. Actually if the iPod didn't have such an impact on the industry it would probably be here already.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: