Quantcast going alone to WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question going alone to WDW

I am planning my first solo vacation at WDW and have searched on this site for feedback about solo trips. Since it's all over the place, I thought I'd ask here, in one thread, what you think the pros and cons are of going solo. I talk to everyone, don't mind reading a book at a meal or talking to cast members or people watching and actually look forward to doing what I want when I want. But it's a first time for me so any feedback or thoughts would help! Thinking of staying at Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks!
    Magic Happens!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I had to temporary relocate to FL for a few months for a job. My family could not come with as they had job and school obligations (althugh they did get to visit me one week). I went to WDW alone many times. It was fine- there are plenty of solo travellers. I ate where I wanted and did what I wanted. If you think you may feel awkward, do bring a book as you mentioned. Everyone was very nice and the servers were as well. I never once felt uncomfortable.

Go and enjoy!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

dizneefan67 Guest

Default Alone in The World? Poor Guy

Being alone is bad enough, BUT there are good things about it likeyou mentioned. Eating when and wherever you wante is good, and doing whatever you want , when you want is also good. But pesonally, I didn't much care for being solo in The World. You didn't have anyone to share the memories with.
    Let me suggest one or two things for you to do i going solo. I found it really fun to grab some popcorn at Epcot and feed the Flamingo's, I then ha a small audience watching and even some little ones. I simply made a little magic myself with the kids by offering some popcorn to help m feed the hungry flamingo's. They were happy to help and they got a kick out of it! Make sure you ask the parents if it is alright with them first. I even think the parents got a happy feeling out of it, to see another guest taking time to make some magic with their kids! Along the same lines, when you are at the M, do some things that don't cost you a penny to help others out andenjoy their vacation...tae a picture, let kids have a seat in front of you during a parade, get fast passes to attractions you wouldno normally go on and when you go back during your FastPass time, give them to someone who is just gttig theirs for a later time, or buy a mickey balloon(s) and give them to kids to make their day more magical!
    BASICALLY MAKE A LITTLE MAGIC OF YOUR OWN THAT CAST MEMBERS DO EVERYDAY!

hope this helps and have a good trip!

Will

Post Thanks / Like

I number of Intercotees have done solo trips to Disney World. There are a number of places where you can dine in a joint setting. What comes to mind right now is Biergarten and Teppan Edo. I believe you can dine at the bar at California Grill. When I'm out alone and dine, I usually bring a book with me as you've suggested.

Pros:
    * You get to do what you want when you want
    * You get to ride in the single rider lines
    * You can make your way through crowds more easily than if you're with a larger group
    * You might get pulled out of line for earlier entry on a ride if they need just one more passenger to fill the ride.

Cons:
    * You don't have someone to share the trip with on a moment by moment basis.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry- off topic- Dizneefan67 where are the flamingos in Epcot? I dont think I have seen any Flamingos.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I saw Flamingos in Epcot, they were located in the water area just to the left of Mexico if you're facing the Mexican pavilion from the walkway.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    The last time I saw Flamingos in Epcot, they were located in the water area just to the left of Mexico if you're facing the Mexican pavilion from the walkway.
    Wow I can't believe I never saw them. I will be sure to look for them next trip! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very good friend who lives very close to Disney. She is a widow and loves spending the day at the parks. I know she goes at least once a week to a park. She has told me she has met the most interesting people and that she loves going by herself. She did say seeing the families together remind her how alone she is, but since your solo trip is not going to last, that should not be a problem. I think you will have a wonderful time.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy traveling with the family; I also enjoy solo trips. When solo, you can do the parks as slow or as fast as you like, get up when you want, quit for the day when you want, eat when you want, etc.

On the solo trips, I find I chat with the CM's more, sit on a bench and people watch more and get in a lot more walking.

Have a great time!

dizneefan67 Guest

Default DVC2004 read on... LOL

The flamingo's ar tothe left of Mexico right by the water area beside the first aide/baby area that has the bridges crossing the water from Test Track! At least whe I was working at WDW they were there! The may have FLOWN THE COOP!lol

Will

Post Thanks / Like

WOW...a solo trip! I have ALWAYS gone with family. However I ALWAYS think...If I was alone...I could walk around and REALLY look at stuff. I am a looker and I LOVE to take pictures. Yet I drive people CRAZY wanting to stop a take a picture from MANY different angles (from below, from right, from left, from ground) all different angles. So I would think...Wow I get to go at my speed and stare at nothing for as long as I want to. I LOVE the post about making magic for others too....YEAh...pretend you are a cm for a day (not telling people that, but just making magic) YYYEEAAAHH your going to have a BLAST!

Post Thanks / Like

I went alone this past March for the buy 4 get 3 free and the $200 gift card. Great deal but, my son and husband were not able to accompany me. Disney is my favorite place to visit and I felt completely safe on my own but I missed my family and came home two nights earlier than planned. Luckily, we are going together in a few weeks. However, I enjoyed having the room all to myself
    01-93 off sight
    03-04 POP
    08-04 POP
    03-05 POP
    11-05 POP
    06-06 POR
    05-07 CSR
    01-08 POP
    07-08 POR
    03-09 ASMU
    08-09 POP
    08-10 POP
    02-11 POP

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never done a solo trip, but i have done an evening or two solo, and i think i would have no problem with a solo trip
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

man let me tell you, I had a BLAST the last two solo trips! While waiting in line or dining can be kinda weird alone, it can be managed. Prime example, rather than eat at a table in the WS, I took my fish and chips and ate at a bench overlooking the lake. A nice view, a cool breeze, and elbow room! Also, cell phones can eat up time alone waiting at a restaurant. Text, surf the web, or worst case call someone.

That aside, its all positives from here. You move quicker alone. You can see exactly what you want, and nothing you don't. Single rider lines are awesome as well.

Main thing, just think about it. Want to shop for a while? Go for it. Need a bathroom break? Or a snack? Or want to ride something twice? It's all you! You're on YOUR schedule, and can do exactly what you want, when you want. And, at the end of the day, you can sprall out all over the bed, because there's nobody to kick! Solo trips are excellent! Hope you have a blast!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Cons: * You don't have someone to share the trip with on a moment by moment basis.
    However, depending on the speed with which you can text you can alleviate the inability to share the moment with someone. My daughter had a friend go solo this summer...and she texted her throughout the day and felt very much in touch..(my daughter thought it was great too, but she is a true disney beleiver)..so if you have a fellow disneyite to text you can stay in touch and share the moment as much as you want.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

While I've never actually done a solo trip, I've thought about it. It's some place I know my way around so I'd be comfortable. Having someone to share things with is great. But so is traveling at your own speed and doing only what you want to do, when you want to do it. I'd have no problem going alone.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed myself on the solo trips I have taken. Although I usually have a few too many when my wife is not around!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be taking my tenth solo trip to WDW in a couple months. Although I'm married, DH just isn't as big a WDW fan as me-every couple years is plenty for him. So I go solo in between. I love the conversations I've struck up with the CMs along the way, as well as the conversations with guests who think I work there (if someone's in the park alone, not with family, they must be an employee).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Booked!

Thanks for the responses - feel free to keep the ideas coming! I booked it this morning and am really looking forward to the trip!! Being mistaken for a cast member is fine with me. I know the parks like the back of my hand so if being able to add to someone's magic is in my power, all the better!
    Magic Happens!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are like me, you will talk to anyone anywhere about anything. I bet if you start talking to others in line for rides they would welcome it. Let's face it, standing in line talking to family members gets old and kids can start to get into fights (not mine of course). I would relish talking to someone else and find out where they are from, what they're doing, etc.

When are you going to be there? You can always join us for an afternoon if you wish. We will be there from August 1-8.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: