Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades... - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can certainly understand how you feel but

this is Disney and that's how Disney rolls. Upgrades and other happy surprises are a part of what makes Disney the special place that it is.

The real World is full of one price for all.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.
    I'm confused. Isn't that what we are talking about? People asking for free upgrades? Maybe I should clarify my POV. If you want to inquire about the additional cost to upgrade, that's fine, but asking for something you didn't pay for and fully expecting to get it for free is to me tacky. Honestly if I were a CM I'd much rather surprise an unsuspecting family than to cater to someone who presumes they ought to get more than they have. It's just more fun that way.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I sure understand what the OP meant. And I pretty much agree with her.

I don't think there is any harm in inquiring politely ONCE, at original check in.

I have seen people melt down at the counter and throw fits that would have their parents beating them if they were kids. Then walk away giggling when they have bullied their way to getting what they were after, not what they paid for and not what they deserved(which was a kick in the butt).

If you have an expectation of your lodging for your trip, then book it ~ don't expect it to be "granted" to you. Tinkerbell is not your personal fairy!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I love to hear stories of unsuspecting people receiving upgrades or some other form of unexpected Disney magic. Even though I have never received and upgrade myself, it makes me feel good that others have when they weren't expecting it, and have special memories of it. Got to love that Disney Magic!

But yes, I agree with the OP, book the room you want. I would feel funny asking for an upgrade. But then again I would never expect to get one if I did ask! I think it should be taken for what it is, a RANDOM act of kindness, not something someone is entitled to.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't that what we are talking about? People asking for free upgrades? Maybe I should clarify my POV. If you want to inquire about the additional cost to upgrade, that's fine, but asking for something you didn't pay for and fully expecting to get it for free is to me tacky. Honestly if I were a CM I'd much rather surprise an unsuspecting family than to cater to someone who presumes they ought to get more than they have. It's just more fun that way.
    Actually, we seem to be agreeing on this. I was just giving an hoteliers viewpoint on asking for upgrades, free or otherwise. There seemed to be some confusion in the thread and a thought that asking for an upgrade is 'tacky'. It isn't. But asking for a free one is not appreciated and in most cases shouldn't be done.

People should be happy if they get it but not expect it so we do agree. Now I don't know Disney's policies so a free one may occasionally be a random act of kindness by a CM but they hotelier in me thinks it's upgrades are most likely given for business reasons.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I agree with you totally.

I've always been amazed at how many people on the boards post about asking for a free upgrade.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that tremendously tacky and I would never even consider it.

I'm with you ... pay for what you want and don't expect something for free.
    What Ian said! Exactly!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    This is an interesting and difficult thread.

Jen opened up a little bit and shared some of her feelings about something and it provoked a lot of responses...some good, some not. I don't think that it is fair to interpret a feeling as a concsious act. I think that we all feel things that aren't always the most proud of...jealousy, anger, etc. But those are natural feelings. What would be fair to be judgemental about is if Jen or anyone had suggested any inappropriate actions that would have been unfair or unappreciative...but she didn't. She only expressed a feeling to a community of good people that she is a member of.

I like this thread because it challenges us to keep looking for the magic for everyone and to enjoy EVERYONE'S magical moments...even when it is difficult.

I also think that this highlights something that I think all of us WDW addicts would like to see...which is a Frequent Guest rewards program. Just like any other hotel or vacation destination, I think that WDW needs to think about a frequent guest program that offers some rewards to the people and families who return year after year. Something that doesn't require the commitment of DVC.
    Well said! The OP is not so much concerned about what another guest receives so much as the guest ASKING for a free upgrade and expecting one.

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePaul View Post
    I feel really bad for the OP. She started out just casually wondering if anyone else who typically books deluxe type rooms ever feels slightly spited that some get these things for free. She seemed to phrase her question in a very polite and fair manner. She also seemed to go back several times and make even clearer her point. She took quite a few hits below the belt, especially from the guy offering the feed the hungry comment.

I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul.
    Thanks for reminding us of this!

And in response to WWWDD? I think, in addition to surprising unsuspecting guests he would reward loyal customers just as frequently!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Jen C. I think your comments have been well stated and you have phrase things well. Want to say that my comments to follow are actually about things in others posts.

As a former (and maybe soon again) hotelier, I can say that asking a hotel for an upgrade is absolutely fine from the typical hotelier's point of view. What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.

Hotels give upgrades for many reasons. Some are operational (its more efficient use of housekeeping & maintenance if groups of rooms are used rather than spreading people out), cost efficiencies, maintenance issues (assigned room has damage or fixtures that aren't working), and promotion ( perhaps if you upgrade someone they will come back at that higher level) among the most prominent.

Hoteliers do understand that it can upset people if they see somebody getting something for less than they paid so they do try to keep the numbers of upgrades to just a few. But, there will always be some upgrades given for the reasons above.
    Thank you for your rational thoughts. I think people get swept away by the idea of "Disney Magic" and don't realize that Disney would never have attained its huge conglomerate status if it didn't market itself really well. It is a very well run business at the end of the day. I see no reason to be sheepish or shy about asking this billion-dollar business to throw us a bone by politely asking for an upgrade. I don't think it's at all a matter of getting what you pay for - otherwise our capitalistic society would operate very differently.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have been given an upgrade at check in a few times. Maybe a better view or something, nothing major, we never went from a standard to a concierge room or anything like that. I have also asked a few times and then I think it happens according to availablility. It was pretty much hit or miss but I was always polite and never expected anything.
    Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!

Post Thanks / Like

We asked at check in last stay if a lagoon view room was available instead of a garden view. They checked and I handed my card over to pay the difference. She declined my payment, saying it was a birthday gift to my daughter. I was fully prepared to pay the difference.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Well Ive only heard of these wonderfull upgrades. My concern is what upgrade can a person who has already booked the best room get ?
    Has anyone who has booked what they thought was the best room recieved a bonus perk at check in? ie free dinner or something if so Disney is being fair.
    If not then I say these people are missing out on the magic that so many of you are defending.
    Kim & Danelle

August 2000 - All Star Movies
    August 2001 - All Star Music
    August 2005 - All Star Movies & Pop Century
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    September 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I know club level guests can and have been upgraded to suites. In regards to those that are booking the top level suites, they are typically considered vip's and yes they would get a number of perks and very special treatment.

In terms of the other resort levels, there have been reports of those booking value and being upgraded to villas. This is usually because of an overbooking situation, but the upgrade included those that had paid for the highest level of room at that value resort.

Comp dining or tickets is pretty much only given in rare cases. Like when there has been a problem and management is trying to make up for it. Complimentary room upgrades are a little different.

These are really like Magical Moments that you hear about in the parks. It's something everyone is eligible for, but only a few lucky ones are chosen. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. While we've had a few upgrades over the years, we've never gotten selected for any type of Magical Moment (although we've made plenty of our own). I guess in the end, it all tends to balance out.

In a round about way, it looks like the crux of the discussion comes down to how people feel about others asking outright for an upgrade. For those that travel frequently, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, as it's pretty much considered standard operating procedure in the world outside of Disney. If you call to book a room at a high end hotel chain, typically you'll be quoted the higher rate. You have to ask if there is a special being offered, or any promotions that are cheaper in order to lower the price of the room. If you don't ask, you're stuck paying the higher rate. It's just how it works. Anyone familiar with that, wouldn't think it's odd to inquire at a Disney resort.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We have never asked for a free upgrade - never even would have thought to....

I guess my point of view is that if you have the guts to ask go ahead...but don't build up your hopes to the point where you are upset or rude if they dont upgrade you... Pretty much the same opinion as the OP

I avoided this thread for a while now b/c at first glance I was taken aback...that is until I fully read this thread...

We have stayed and payed for deluxe since I was young...the ONLY upgrade we ever received was standard to concierge at POLY on our Honeymoon....it wasn't asked for - it was apparently pre-arranged as they had well wishes waiting for us in our room....

as the first WDW vacation for DH I was just thrilled to surprise him with the fact that I switched our reservations from POFQ to Poly with my bonus $$ at work!!!

This year circumstances have changed and both my father and I have lost our jobs and all we could afford was a value....BUT....

We would never consider asking for an upgrade....although I would much rather be at Poly and will terribly miss it as it's my second home...ANY DAY AT DISNEY IS BETTER THAN NO DAY AT DISNEY!!! And I think if more people had this attitude than all would be swell!
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This thread does highlight something I've always found to be quite odd.

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

I think I find that more annoying than anything else.
    Spoken like a true DVC-er.

I think what turns me off is people who try to work the system for an upgrade. You'll see post all the time - "How likely will I get an upgrade if I book this way..." it shouldn't be about how likely you will be - if you want a Savannah View room at AKL then book one.

JMHO

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I am the revenue manager (the one in charge of rates/discounts/upgrades) for a major chain resort, and I have to say there is NOTHING wrong with asking for an upgrade. Or any disounts for that matter. Esp discounts. Unless it's a major promo, they're not going to just give you the lowest rate, you have to ask. Now, there's a difference between asking politely (and you may just get it if it's available) and demanding it. Or if it's not available getting mad. I for one will ask, but if they don't have an upgrade or a discount, who cares? I'm at a hotel to sleep, not to spend my whole day in anyway. And I've paid for suites before too, even knowing that someone else may have gotten a free upgrade. Doesn't bother me at all because I know how the system works. Might be me getting the "deal" next time...
    "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand till the rug has come to a complete stop. Thank you, good bye now, good bye, thank you, good bye..."

1984, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008,
    2010 x 3, 2011 x 3, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraByTheSea View Post
    I am the revenue manager (the one in charge of rates/discounts/upgrades) for a major chain resort, and I have to say there is NOTHING wrong with asking for an upgrade. Or any disounts for that matter. Esp discounts. Unless it's a major promo, they're not going to just give you the lowest rate, you have to ask. Now, there's a difference between asking politely (and you may just get it if it's available) and demanding it. Or if it's not available getting mad. I for one will ask, but if they don't have an upgrade or a discount, who cares? I'm at a hotel to sleep, not to spend my whole day in anyway. And I've paid for suites before too, even knowing that someone else may have gotten a free upgrade. Doesn't bother me at all because I know how the system works. Might be me getting the "deal" next time...

Disney doesn't operate like any other hotel chain or resort. Their system is not "the system" you mention. They're not Loews or Wyndham or Hilton. They're Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, but that's not the point... The point is, don't feel bad about asking, because you never know...
    "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand till the rug has come to a complete stop. Thank you, good bye now, good bye, thank you, good bye..."

1984, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008,
    2010 x 3, 2011 x 3, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Is there something "wrong" with asking for an upgrade? If one feels they must, then others opinions aren't going to change their tactics. I do think, especially at WDW, schmoozing, gushing, and hinting-wink wink, or verbally "requesting" an upgrade may close the door completely...and that's the chance you take.
    But, for those who wish to roll the dice, they should do whatever they want.
    I have a decent amount of points with a couple of hotels. Based on my regular patronage, I do occasionally receive upgrades. I never ask, hint, or do anything else but be polite at check in. I don't live wishing for upgrades. I book what I want, and if it happens, great. If it doesn't, I'm fine with that, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    Disney doesn't operate like any other hotel chain or resort. Their system is not "the system" you mention. They're not Loews or Wyndham or Hilton. They're Disney.
    Based on a number of discussions on message boards, "we" may be more aware of how Disney operates, but the casual traveller has no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by blissventure
    Is there something "wrong" with asking for an upgrade?
    Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with walking up to registration and saying "hello, do you have any upgrades available?" By my count, there are 5 things that could happen:

1. The CM pulls up the reservation and by luck, the guest has already received a complimentary upgrade
    2. The CM looks for an upgrade and offers it at rack rate
    3. The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to offer a discount
    4. The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to make it complimentary
    5. The guest specified "free" upgrade, which bothers the CM and they tell them NO

A word of advice though, is if an upgrade is available, be clear as to how it's being offered. There have been plenty of times when a guest assumed it was complimentary and were surprised to see an additional charge to their account . I'm talking specifically about upgrades that are requested at check-in and not those given out behind the scenes by Disney.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Based on a number of discussions on message boards, "we" may be more aware of how Disney operates, but the casual traveller has no idea.

Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with walking up to registration and saying "hello, do you have any upgrades available?" By my count, there are 5 things that could happen:

1. The CM pulls up the reservation and by luck, the guest has already received a complimentary upgrade
    2. The CM looks for an upgrade and offers it at rack rate
    3. The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to offer a discount
    4. The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to make it complimentary
    5. The guest specified "free" upgrade, which bothers the CM and they tell them NO

A word of advice though, is if an upgrade is available, be clear as to how it's being offered. There have been plenty of times when a guest assumed it was complimentary and were surprised to see an additional charge to their account . I'm talking specifically about upgrades that are requested at check-in and not those given out behind the scenes by Disney.

In general, if someone truly wants an upgrade, (that they're actually willing to pay for), they'd probably haven taken care of it before they left home. It's a quick thing to pick up the phone. Of course there are exceptions--like..a guest saying "I'd like to ask about an upgrade, is one available and what would the rate be? ???" Someone that states from the start they are asking about an upgrade AND a rate is quite different from someone who just asks something along the lines of, "Have any upgrades today?"
    Just my opinion, YMMV.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: