Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades... - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrades are SPD (spontaneous pixie dust), the more often you travel, the greater the likelihood of having it find you.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Of course, I have been a member of the Disney online family for 10 years or so and I have always checked the "yes" box for wanting to receive special offers. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    I wonder if it does too. We go almost every year and I've gotten *THREE* codes this year (ironically we are not using any.) I always check that box on a Disney site.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    This is an interesting and difficult thread.

Jen opened up a little bit and shared some of her feelings about something and it provoked a lot of responses...some good, some not. I don't think that it is fair to interpret a feeling as a concsious act. I think that we all feel things that aren't always the most proud of...jealousy, anger, etc. But those are natural feelings. What would be fair to be judgemental about is if Jen or anyone had suggested any inappropriate actions that would have been unfair or unappreciative...but she didn't. She only expressed a feeling to a community of good people that she is a member of.

I like this thread because it challenges us to keep looking for the magic for everyone and to enjoy EVERYONE'S magical moments...even when it is difficult.

I also think that this highlights something that I think all of us WDW addicts would like to see...which is a Frequent Guest rewards program. Just like any other hotel or vacation destination, I think that WDW needs to think about a frequent guest program that offers some rewards to the people and families who return year after year. Something that doesn't require the commitment of DVC.
    Thank you for understanding. I was beginning to revert back to my misunderstood teen years...
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I feel really bad for the OP. She started out just casually wondering if anyone else who typically books deluxe type rooms ever feels slightly spited that some get these things for free. She seemed to phrase her question in a very polite and fair manner. She also seemed to go back several times and make even clearer her point. She took quite a few hits below the belt, especially from the guy offering the feed the hungry comment.

I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    One other thing regarding "all those people who post here asking about free upgrades." There are lots of situations where it's appropriate to negotiate or ask for something extra. Many of the people posting this question may have never, ever stayed at a WDW resort before and are coming here with an honest question, wanting to know how things work. Maybe they've never stayed at any other kind of resort or travelled much at all and this is a huge upcoming trip for them - a first. So they come here to find out how things work and your response is going to be, "You're tacky" and "You're trying to abuse the system"? Really? I've been to WDW a fair number of times and I'm STILL learning new things about it. I've been one of those people who asked an innocent question about how things work and have actually been accused of trying to be dishonest. It's rude an unnecessary. Think about the first time you did anything new and didn't know how things worked and had to ask. There's certainly no harm in giving someone, especially someone new, the benefit of the doubt before you get insulting.
    I hope this doesn't go out to me (the OP). I never once referred to the practice of asking for upgrades as tacky. I also never accused anyone of trying to abuse the system. In my over 600 post since becoming a member in 05, I have always answered fairly and politely. I am especially careful to do so when responding to a new friend on the boards. I think it's important as a responsible member of the boards, when reading through a thread with as many responses as this, that we not lose sight of the OP, and their intent. Again, I hope I was not nasty in any of my remarks. I am terribly regrettful for having opened this can of worms.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    I hope this doesn't go out to me (the OP). I never once referred to the practice of asking for upgrades as tacky. I also never accused anyone of trying to abuse the system. In my over 600 post since becoming a member in 05, I have always answered fairly and politely. I am especially careful to do so when responding to a new friend on the boards. I think it's important as a responsible member of the boards, when reading through a thread with as many responses as this, that we not lose sight of the OP, and their intent. Again, I hope I was not nasty in any of my remarks. I am terribly regrettful for having opened this can of worms.
    Hey Jen C, I never saw this in any other light, threads just get off track sometimes. Keep posting...
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

No!! That was not directed at you at all and I am so sorry that you felt it may have been. You did express your feelings very politely and I did not mean for any of my posts to come across in an unpleasant way, just as food for thought. I get a little distressed when I see certain comments and just wanted to present a different point of view, which unfortunately strayed off topic.

Don't be sorry for starting this topic! You did it very gracefully and opened some interesting discussion. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleCiavo View Post
    I wonder if it does too. We go almost every year and I've gotten *THREE* codes this year (ironically we are not using any.) I always check that box on a Disney site.
    I do not think it does. I also check the boxes and have never received a pin code or upgrade. Ever. My sister though went on a trip with me on my reservation and received a pin code in the mail. The kicker, it came to my address. The CM told me I couldn't use it on my next vacation unless my sister was in the party. I might have to ask her to come along!

Jen, I know it is difficult, but try not to let folks upset you with their words. Forums allow people to say things they normally would never say face to face and misunderstandings happen a lot more frequently. Thank you for being so honest about your feelings. Keep posting!
    Last edited by badkitty; 07-19-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Well I know this thread's been around a while but somehow I've missed it until now.

We have always stayed at the deluxe resorts (though not club level). I have always liked our rooms whether or not they had a view. Of course we just like some resorts a little better than others, but they have all been good. I have been happy with our accomodations, so even if it was in my nature to ask for an upgrade (but it's not!), I would not have asked. I have never felt bad hearing about others getting upgrades - maybe because I've always been happy with our rooms.

Last time we stayed at the Poly and to my complete surprise when we checked in they told us we had been upgraded! We were upgraded to a better view basically (but not club level), and it was really a nice unexpected delight. We have been going to WDW for the last 10 years plus and this was the first time.

I can understand wanting to get your money's worth and not feeling like someone else is getting an unfair advantage. I really think you have to be happy with your own arrangements though and not worry about what everyone else is getting. I truly think what goes around, comes around - perhaps there is a surprise upgrade for you in the future, who knows?
    "You can say it backwards, which is... DOCIOUSALIEXPIISTIC- FRAGILCALIRUPUS. - But that's going a bit too far, don't you think? - indubitably."
    -:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:--

* YC *WL *BC *BW *CB *Swan *Dolphin *GF *Poly* POFQ*

Post Thanks / Like

when i went to WDW in 'o8, we got upgraded to the Concierge Level at the Wilderness Lodge. when we got on the elivator and put the gold card into the slot to go to the top floor, 2 girls about the age of 10 said, "ugh! no fair! they get to go on the top floor!" it was very funny. but we only got this room by chance... we didnt ask for it.
    1998- off site
    Halloween 2003- off site
    2006- PopCentury
    2008- PopCentury/Wilderness Lodge
    2010 - Coronado - August

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by amrntodd View Post
    it was very funny. but we only got this room by chance... we didnt ask for it.
    See? This is exactly what I meant in my post on the other page of this thread... seems that most of the time, these upgrades are given to guests who never ask and are genuinely surprised and excited by the upgrade, not demanding and asking for it. I think that's how most upgrades should go!!

This is slightly off topic as far as room upgrades go, but last December, we stood in line at the R&C dining room behind 3 or 4 very rude and impatient families who all wanted the "priority seating" out on the deck for Illuminations during their dinner. The family ahead of us actually tried to say they were promised it by the CM who took their ADR. When it was our turn to check in, I apologized for asking the same question I'd heard them have to deal with for everyone else, let them know I understood it was "first come, first serve" for the deck & also that it was my DH's birthday dinner and if when it came to our turn there were any spots on the deck, we'd love it, and we'd wait for it, if need be.

Imagine our surprise when our "blinky thing" went off and we were ushered to a marvelous table on the deck... our hostess said she'd really appreciated our kindness and politeness, and hoped my DH had a wonderful birthday. We couldn't have said thank you enough, as she made our night, and I think we also helped hers be a bit better by being kind.

So -- maybe that's what they mean by the Disney magic -- you give some, sometimes you're lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

ABSOLUTELY not nearly the same thing. If you knew me even a little, you'd realize how far off base this is.
    This is not that far off base. Yes, its not essential to life but to those who don't have the ability to experience something, it is a very similar concept. I was upgraded to concierge and was sooo thankful because not only will we never be able to afford to do that BUT we may never stay Disney does this to make dreams come true; some people cant afford to see how the well to do live. AND about the credit thing. Credit is usually earned but isn't always in your hands whether fate leads you to money or not. We, have had nothing but bad luck with finances. We do have excellent credit but I have seen some people lose their jobs, stumble and ruin their credit when it was not necessarily just a bad choice, rather bad luck. We work hard all year long just to afford to go, so if Disney throws something our way, it brings me to tears....Now, we DO show up in our Sunday best, we have excellent manners, and consider ourselves elitests when it comes to our attitudes and disposition so I can imagine that if someone were in a deluxe that I had paid for and were given an upgrade and yet, aren't going to dress deluxe and act deluxe, now THAT is when I would be upset. Cause at THAT point I would be like, ok, if you are going to act like you paid $50 a night for a room then go stay at a $50 hotel. Do the best with what you are given, I say, it's ok. Don't go expecting the best and not willing to give 100%
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry that people would post tacky comments regarding your musings.

I do feel that, in general, upgrades are offered to people in order to incite them to want to stay at that upgraded level in the future. I'm not sure what algorithm is applied to produce a likely candidate.

We've received two luck-of-the-draw upgrades in all our travels and I completely believe that this was to entice us into upgrading our future reservations. However, the majority of upgrades have come about when we asked more. It's crazy really how much more the hotel industry can provide if one simply asks.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    This is not that far off base. Yes, its not essential to life but to those who don't have the ability to experience something, it is a very similar concept. I was upgraded to concierge and was sooo thankful because not only will we never be able to afford to do that BUT we may never stay Disney does this to make dreams come true; some people cant afford to see how the well to do live.
    I do believe you have missed the point of the OP. She is not saying that folks who can't afford it should not be upgraded. I think the "homeless" comment was off-base and hurtful.

Post Thanks / Like

We have only ever stayed at Moderate or Deluxe resorts and have never rec'd an upgrade either. I have heard many times people say that they have had their room upgraded automatically. Me, personally have never had that happen nor have I ever had the guts to ask if a better room was available. The best I have done was request a specific floor at POR because we had a stroller and avoiding the elevators was easier. I think you have a legitimate gripe, unfortunately, I think it is the way of the world. I hope you enjoy your vacation despite no upgrades:-) And just take with you that perhaps those who have rec'd the upgrade could have really used that special treatment at that point in their life.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been going 2-3 times a year since 1996 and never got the SPD of a room/resort upgrade. Yeah it makes me jealous when I hear about it happening to others, but it doesn't ruin the trip for me. If I really wanted to stay at a deluxe resort or conceirge level room, I would have booked it myself.

I'll be there with my mom in Sept and with my DH in Nov--if either trip is lucky enough to be gifted an upgrade, I'd probably fall over in shock.

There was a trip where some guests were being a little too rowdy & their chaperones weren't doing a very good job of chaperoning; I went to the front desk to inquire about moving to a comparable resort, not even an upgrade, & explained why; the CM said they only resort they had available was the Poly, a deluxe. Just as I'm thinking "OMG, is she upgrading us to the Poly", the CM let me know what the price difference was going to be (insert Price is Right losing music here).

When we first started going to WDW, we always stayed at a deluxe resort. Then I realized we only sleep in the room, so why should we bother paying all that money for a super-nice place to sleep? Every now & again we might treat ourselves to a deluxe resort (say, if a really good special comes up), but for the most part we stick to the mods & values. I definitely wouldn't refuse a suprise upgrade if it came our way
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePaul View Post
    I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul.
    Although maybe a few comments have been borderline, it has been a good discussion of opinions. The OP was not the one who mentioned capping Disney magic as you put it and that discussion was not directed at her. I guess it gets a little hard to keep track though when so many people do get "talking" .
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I do not think it does. I also check the boxes and have never received a pin code or upgrade. Ever. My sister though went on a trip with me on my reservation and received a pin code in the mail. The kicker, it came to my address. The CM told me I couldn't use it on my next vacation unless my sister was in the party. I might have to ask her to come along!
    This makes me feel slightly better--I always check "yes" on the info boxes and stuff, too, and I don't think we've ever gotten a code.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We really dont care what kind of room we stay in, really. We love Disney so much that we will camp in a tent or stay value if we have to, to go. Yes I prefer deluxe and I will opt for a concierge room in the future, if hubby and i go alone, because we have learned how nice it is but it does seem to me that there is some kind of rhythm to people getting upgrades. When I have talked to people it seems they've either never gotten upgraded and never get pins or they get a lot of them and they tend to get upgrades. It is very obscure to me but it definitely is not evenly dosed.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Jen C. I think your comments have been well stated and you have phrase things well. Want to say that my comments to follow are actually about things in others posts.

As a former (and maybe soon again) hotelier, I can say that asking a hotel for an upgrade is absolutely fine from the typical hotelier's point of view. What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.

Hotels give upgrades for many reasons. Some are operational (its more efficient use of housekeeping & maintenance if groups of rooms are used rather than spreading people out), cost efficiencies, maintenance issues (assigned room has damage or fixtures that aren't working), and promotion ( perhaps if you upgrade someone they will come back at that higher level) among the most prominent.

Hoteliers do understand that it can upset people if they see somebody getting something for less than they paid so they do try to keep the numbers of upgrades to just a few. But, there will always be some upgrades given for the reasons above.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: