Quantcast WDW with Teen and Pre-Teen

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW with Teen and Pre-Teen

I have three children: a boy - age 13, a girl -age 11 and another girl - age 6. Would you be comfortable with letting the older ones wander off a bit on their own at the parks? I mean, I wouldn't drop them off at the gates in the morning and pick them up at night! I'm just talking about letting them go for 1/2 hour or so while we let the little one enjoy her rides. I'm doing what moms do best - trying to please everyone!
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on the kids familiarity with the parks and their maturity level -- It really depends on the kids. I let my kids do that--but they were comfortable with the situation

Thanks
    Scott
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

it does depend, but i know my sister and i have been going to the parks, well more magic kingdom, on our own since i was 14 and she was 16, but we were staying in the contemporary, so its not like we were traveling far or anything being two teenage girls.
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are now 15, 13, and 9. We just started letting them go off on their own this year, just in the MK. We let the girls (oldest two) do this. Granted, they know this park like its their own backyard, they both have cell phones, and they are responsible kids. Its only for brief periods of time, not a days worth of alone time!!! We go through the rules first, we are in steady contact. This year we also let my son join them while we took the DVC tour. It was for two hours and the rules were strict. All went well. I wouldn't allow them to travel from park to park, or be anywhere that we weren't close by. They did monorail themselves to the MK from the Poly.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

We let ours go at age 11 and 12 in the same park. We had used walkie talkies back then to keep in touch. They decided it was better to be with us after a few hours.

I would recommend that one of them have a cell phone if not both. Make sure that they stay together at all times, except the restrooms. If they are mature smart children they should do fine for a couple of hours, before checking in with you.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are probably the best judge of your kids. Age isn't always the definitive answer..maturity, common sense, and problem solving skills are most important. I really don't see any problem if you know your kids have those traits. I always think about if I would let them walk around alone in a different setting like the mall, a local amusement park, the fair, etc. If you can trust them in those situations then you should be able to trust them in Disney. Like pp's said, it is good to have specific rules, cell phones, and meeting time/place.
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

As dumb as this may sound, remind them to turn their cell phones on! Last year my two turned them off going into Philharmagic (good thing) but forgot to turn them on when they were done (bad thing).
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Mouse View Post
    I would recommend that one of them have a cell phone if not both. .
    Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    As dumb as this may sound, remind them to turn their cell phones on! Last year my two turned them off going into Philharmagic (good thing) but forgot to turn them on when they were done (bad thing).
    I would agree a cell phone is a must - both for the kids as well as the adults.

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: