Quantcast Just an idea....a pool-hopper pass?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Just an idea....a pool-hopper pass?

Yesterday I was vacuuming our pool, a chore I love b/c it is a mindless task and I have a lot of time to think.

Completely hypothetical.

I know of course that pool-hopping at the resorts is a big no-no, except in certain circumstances.

Now, before everyone flips out, here's my thinking:

1. Could be offered to resort-only guests - no park passes. Although not many guests do this, so don't know how attractive this would be.

2. Would allow guests to visit 1 or 2 other resort pools per day, no repeats permitted.

3. Could be tiered. Value guests can only hop to other value pools. Mod guests can hop to any mod or value. Deluxe guests can hop to any resort pool.

I'm sure I haven't thought through all the details. Can anyone offer other benefits/drawbacks to a plan like this?

Again, this is completely hypothetical. To my knowledge, no such plan is in the works.
    Poly 6/73
    SOG 10/91
    BWI 7/05
    GF 7/06
    POFQ 7/07
    SSR & POFQ & Autotrain (1st time!) 6/09

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting idea.

I don't necessarily think it should be tiered but there should be a limit to the number of passes issued for each pool issued on a first come first served basis. And the resort should be able to reserve the right to refuse guests if that pool is at capacity. Of course that would cause a big stink and Disney does not like it when that happens.

ps...I love mindless chores that give me a chance to clear my head for thoughts like this too!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there are only 4 value resorts and 3 of them can already share, so there's not much of an advantage there.

It's a neat idea for the pools at the mod and deluxe levels. They could issue passes based on the number of empty rooms at the upper level resorts and offer it on first come, first serve basis. For example, if The Grand Floridian has 100 empty rooms, they could issue 100 passes for that resort, that day. Admittance would be 1 pass per family/party (based on room key) so that 1 empty room at a higher level resort equals 1 occupied room at another resort.

Also, there could be a small fee imposed if the pool you're interested in is a level or two up from your accommodations. That way those staying at the mods and deluxes would still feel justified in paying those higher rates. If it's a lateral or lower move, no fee involved.

Of course then you have needed staff for checking room keys and passes so it can get fairly complicated.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Just another way for Disney to make more money. I believe you pick your resort based on your budget first , then on the ammenities. If the pool is the big thing for the person then pick that resort. Otherwise the guests paying for a certain resort would have to put up with larger crowds in their pool. We all know Beach Club would be most peoples choice with little kids and it would get very crazy. Also the need to somehow keep track of it. Just my opinion.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

People are already paying for this option. It is called DVC. We are allowed to hop to almost any pool. There are a few pools however you are not allowed to hop to.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy View Post
    . . . I believe you pick your resort based on your budget first , then on the ammenities. If the pool is the big thing for the person then pick that resort. Otherwise the guests paying for a certain resort would have to put up with larger crowds in their pool. We all know Beach Club would be most peoples choice with little kids and it would get very crazy. Also the need to somehow keep track of it. Just my opinion.

This is what I was thinking. I would be very aggrivated if I paid tons of money to stay at a deluxe resort and people that payed a very small percentage got to take advantage of the ammenities at that resort. Plus it would largely impact the amount of people at resorts like the GF, BC/YC, Poly, etc. As nice as it would be for guests not staying at those resorts it really isn't fair to those paying the premium prices to do so. I would be a bit aggrivated if I couldn't get enough loungchairs for my family at our resort because there were a ton of people from the values/mods there. Many years ago this was an okay practice but when it got to be a problem they stopped it. Think about if they sold those passes to people staying outside WDW and even people at the values couldn't find a space at the pool. After all you paid a premium to stay in WDW.

For instance one of the biggest reasons we chose to stay at CSR a few years in a row was that the pools and busses were relatively empty. If people from all other resorts were allowed to use the pool then it would have been much busier and less attractive.

To me it would be like saying you could buy your dinner at McDonald's and eat it at the California Grill because you like the surroundings better but don't want to (or can't) pay the prices.

Great idea though!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting idea - and something that might be easily managed.

We aren't big pool people so the crowds at pools never really bother us that much because we don't hang in them for long or we go to quiet pools.

I see the draw for the pool at the Beach Club but seriously I think the pool at the Boardwalk is much better

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

People staying at a certain resort are already paying for the privilege of swimming in the pool there. It would hardly be fair to them to allow folks staying at a different resort to utilize the pool, whether they pay for it or not.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Pools are sized based on the resort. Using this, I could pay 1/5 of the price and swim at the Grand Floridian pool. That could actually negatively impact the bottom line. Disney apparently already has plans to provide magic based on your contributions to their bottom line, and honestly, paying more for the resort is a bigger contributor to the bottom line.

This is one revenue stream I'm sure Disney won't be tapping into.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your great replies!

Those are the ideas I was looking for - both positive and negative.

If something like this was ever implemented (which I doubt), it would have to be strictly controlled. Things like:

No lounge chairs for guests from other resorts.

2 hour time limits when most pools are not widely in use b/c resort guests for the most part are at the parks, say 9-11 AM, and 4-7 PM.

An easily noticible wristband (think bright pink or orange) w/ a barcode that would be scanned at each pool visited.

I love brainstorming! Thanks again!
    Poly 6/73
    SOG 10/91
    BWI 7/05
    GF 7/06
    POFQ 7/07
    SSR & POFQ & Autotrain (1st time!) 6/09

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to place all kinds of limits on it to make it work, it's better to not do it.

I think this is something they should not do, since people pay for the pool at their resort already. The water parks are there if you want to try out something other than your resort's pool.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yasmina View Post
    An easily noticible wristband (think bright pink or orange) w/ a barcode that would be scanned at each pool visited.

I love brainstorming! Thanks again!
    I love a thread where people bounch ideas back and forth, adds some excitement!

As far as the wristbands gowhen we stayed at the Beach Club they had us wearing wristbands and they had CMs posted at the pool entrances checking them. You had to show your room key in order to get one. That was a few years back so I'm not sure if they still do it or not. They said that too many non-resort guests were using the pools and there was no room for the actual resort guests.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    As far as the wristbands gowhen we stayed at the Beach Club they had us wearing wristbands and they had CMs posted at the pool entrances checking them. You had to show your room key in order to get one. That was a few years back so I'm not sure if they still do it or not. They said that too many non-resort guests were using the pools and there was no room for the actual resort guests.
    They do still the wristbands at SAB. It's a very popular pool over a large area. It's also basically 'open' to anyone walking around the lake, since the big slide is actually away from the main pool. I think they find it easier to identify guests with the bands.

As for the original idea of pool-hopping, I have kind of mixed feelings on it. I'm also wondering if it's that big of a deal to most folks? We've had the option as DVC members for years and we really do swim a lot, but we've not had the desire to venture to another resort to swim. Maybe more people would be interested than I realize. Interesting idea, though!

Post Thanks / Like

as much as this couldd be an interesting concept, i agree with the people who mention the fact that you choose to pay for a delux vrs mod vrs value resort based on amenities, and if your paying only for value, its not fair to be able to hop into the Y&BC pool.

i guess there could be a way of doing it, like some people have brainstormed, but if it takes that many regulations, its probably not worth the stress...

i feel like this could add chaos to certain pools like Y&BC.

thats why they have the water parks.

i always have deep thoughts when im vacuuming my pool too! its like my favorite chore ever!
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

1) Not a bad idea.
    2) But, let's not give Disney more ways to touch our pockets.
    3) The next thing you know,
    . . . they will raise ticket prices
    . . . they will sell hairdos and costumes for outrageous money
    . . . they will $charge 65 for a few hours in the parks
    . . . they will charge for what used to be free park hopping
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: