Quantcast Can we discuss laundry for a minute?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Can we discuss laundry for a minute?

I find that laundry detergent is very expensive. Do you? So what I have done was change brands and that didn't go over to big. So I went back to Tide. What I have done, is cut back on the amount per laundry load. The next thing would be not to wash my clothes. What do you do to bring down the cost of doing laundry?
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that we can use about 1/2 of the amount that is "recommended" and still get clean clothes.

Other than that, we hang dry/air dry as much as we can, to cut down on drying, and it makes the clothes last longer.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Since I moved to Spokane last March I have been using a front load washer ... I can't believe how little detergent I use now and my clothes are SO much nicer thanks to the front loader. I think the cost of detergent is just the way it is ... they gotta make money somehow.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I don't have a washer and dryer in my apartment I use to go to the laundry mat about once every 2 weeks. I later found a wash dry and fold service that picks up and delivers my laundry and believe it not it saves me a few bucks over going to laundry mat.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my DH used to be a 'nothing but Tide' guy, but then I snuck in 'Gain' and he was fine. Then I went further and snuck in Purex Lily and something, environ friendly,(light green bottle) and he is good with that now too. I don't use as much as they recommend. Also, you can tear the dryer sheets in half...only use 1/2 sheet per load.
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I get whichever detergent is on sale!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marylynne95 View Post
    I get whichever detergent is on sale!!
    Same here, whatever "detergent- and perfume-free" detergent I can get for a decent price...
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

cost of detergent aside, it's even worse when you don't have machines in your apartment and have to go do it elsewhere.... for sheets, towels, and clothes about once a week for dbf and I it easily costs 15-20 dollars, not figuring in the cost of supplies. (Which means that I ALWAYS haul it all home with me on weekends that I go visit.) I can't WAIT to buy a washer and dryer in a few years when it's time to settle in somewhere after college. I'll certainly be shedding some happy tears.
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

Post Thanks / Like

Oftentimes, if you'll read the fine print directions on a box of detergent, it will recommend something like "half a cup" of detergent per load. But guess what?? That scoop they enclose holds MUCH more than half a cup! I've experimented enough to discover that half a cup will usually clean a load just fine, unless the clothes are exceptionally dirty.

Also, from what I've found, bleach is bleach is bleach. You may see commercials claiming Clorox cleans better than other bleaches, but my dollar store brand does just fine!

I use wooden drying racks in my basement playroom. Luckily, there are two vents blowing air down from the ceiling, and the clothes dry pretty quickly in both winter and summer. Lastly, when you air-dry clothes this way, there is little or no static in them. No dryer sheets or fabric softener needed.
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the suggestion of tearing the dryer sheets in half. Will definitely try to remember that one.

Somebody somewhere suggested soaking a used dryer sheet in fabric softener and the re-using the sheets. Don't know how well this would work, but I am sure it is worth a try.

I use Sunlight HE (have a front loader) and I can't use the cheaper brands as I end up with a rash everywhere. As the Sunlight HE is very concentrated you require very little in the machine. The biggest problem is to remember that you require very little.
    But, yes, the cost of doing laundry does seem to be on the rise along with everything else, except the majority of salaries!
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried many different brands of detergent but I still find that Tide works the best and you can use half the amount and get the same results. When I tried using the lesser amount of the cheaper brands they just didn't clean as well. DH is in construction so his clothes can get really dirty. It saves me no money if I use the cheaper brands and have to use more detergent plus sometimes have to rewash them because they didn't get completely clean.
    I also have a front load washer and love it. My clothes are much cleaner than when I had a top load washer.
    I agree that hanging your clothes to dry can save alot of money on your electric bill.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Charlie's Soap last spring when I was looking for a good soap for cloth diapers. That stuff is fabulous and we quickly started using it for everything. It seemed expensive, but that was before I realized that you are only supposed to use 1 tbsp per load. They also sell in bulk so I invested in a 5 gallon bucket which I split with my mother. A year later my half a bucket is never ending. Works great, environmentally friendly, and budget conscious.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

On our local morning show, there was a viewer who makes her own laundry soap. She says in total, she spends about $6 a year to wash her clothes. She's a nurse and says her whites come out very white and also smell fresh and clean. Here's her recipe for anyone interested. I haven't tried it yet.
    1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
    1/2 cup 20 Mule Team borax
    1/2 cup Arm & hammer washing soap
    mix together, use 1 tbsp per load.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking A new recipe

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom15 View Post
    On our local morning show, there was a viewer who makes her own laundry soap. She says in total, she spends about $6 a year to wash her clothes. She's a nurse and says her whites come out very white and also smell fresh and clean. Here's her recipe for anyone interested. I haven't tried it yet.
    1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
    1/2 cup 20 Mule Team borax
    1/2 cup Arm & hammer washing soap
    mix together, use 1 tbsp per load.
    Wow, I have never heard of this recipe before. I use to use 20 Mule Team borax, and Arm & Hammer, I used Fels Naptha Soap when I got poison ivy (it worked great for that.)
    It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Great Tip

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I switched to Charlie's Soap last spring when I was looking for a good soap for cloth diapers. That stuff is fabulous and we quickly started using it for everything. It seemed expensive, but that was before I realized that you are only supposed to use 1 tbsp per load. They also sell in bulk so I invested in a 5 gallon bucket which I split with my mother. A year later my half a bucket is never ending. Works great, environmentally friendly, and budget conscious.
    We looked up Charlies Soap. It looks good too. We would have to have it shipped to us though. Thanks for the tip.
    It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my nice smelling 7thGeneration... it is a little expensive, but I love it. I don't buy dryer sheets any more... I use vinegar with essential oil in a spray bottle on scrap fabric. Works like a charm (except in sheets, it tends to get stuck in the bulk!). Our best investment was our super nice front loader. Now if the laundry could do itself
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have used the above homemade laundry soap, and added a few drops of lavender oil I got at our local lavender farm. I thought it worked just fine, but I only make that when I am in my "save the earth/become a homesteader" kind of mood.
    DD9 had a blast helping to make it! We filled a plastic box(21 lb kitty litter came in it) and she had to stir and stir.

But mostly I buy Ecos from Costco. Jumbo sized, around 15$ for 120 oz, and heres the ingredients:
    Plant (coconut) based surfactant, soap bark, chamomile, horsetail (plant), lavender, rosemary, soy based fabric softener, essential oils of magnolias and lilies, water.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrkcr View Post
    I have used the above homemade laundry soap, and added a few drops of lavender oil I got at our local lavender farm. I thought it worked just fine, but I only make that when I am in my "save the earth/become a homesteader" kind of mood.
    DD9 had a blast helping to make it! We filled a plastic box(21 lb kitty litter came in it) and she had to stir and stir.

But mostly I buy Ecos from Costco. Jumbo sized, around 15$ for 120 oz, and heres the ingredients:
    Plant (coconut) based surfactant, soap bark, chamomile, horsetail (plant), lavender, rosemary, soy based fabric softener, essential oils of magnolias and lilies, water.
    Wow, those are nice ingredients, makes ya want to eat it.
    It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Tide until it became so expensive. Then I switched to Arm and Hammer liquid until the store I shop at stopped carrying it for some reason and only carry the powder. I don't like using the powder. So I started using All or whatever is in a smaller bottle/smaller measure. It just keeps going up and up because they know people have to have it.

The best detergent I have ever used and was concentrated so you only used about 1/4 cup per load was Amway SA8. Then they went out of business. I have seen commercials lately where they are back in business again but haven't found anyone to buy it from. It came in a gal jug and lasted forever. Now I just buy the cheapest I can find without all the fragrances, etc. And, yes, bleach is bleach so I buy the Wal-Mart brand that is about 97 cents a bottle. Works just as good. I may try your new recipe though.

I use the dryer balls in my dryer instead of dryer sheets. Saves me lots of money and works just as good. Has anyone tried the new sheets that are supposed to have detergent and fabric softner both in them and you use one per load? I have been wondering how these work.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: