Quantcast Attraction Changes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attraction Changes

I am always surprised when attractions undergo changes that I consider to be negative.

For example:

1) On Test Track, just before your vehicle turns its final corner to speed you out of the building, ORIGINALLY you stopped briefly to watch a test vehicle with crash dummies in it hit a wall at full speed to demonstrate a crash test. Then your vehicle would turn to face an identical wall, and the joke was that you were going to do the same thing- of course your wall would open up and you'd be outside instead of crashing. I was saddened when they stopped showing the test crash.

2) At The Beauty and the Beast show, during the finale, doves used to be released from the stage and fly over the heads of the audience members which was a great effect. Those doves are long gone.

3) Live cast members used to be part of the Big Red/Little Red Poacher storyline on Kilimanjaro Safaris and it would always get a chuckle when the cast member with the rifle would talk to the ride vehicle. ALso there used to be a fake jeep that would race alongside your safari vehicle. Those elements have been removed.

Does anyone else have any attraction changes they consider to be a "change for the worse"?
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

The change from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to Winnie the Pooh was very disappointing.

Do you know how much it stinks to be 13? I've missed all of the classics! Not to mention Horizons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    1) On Test Track, just before your vehicle turns its final corner to speed you out of the building, ORIGINALLY you stopped briefly to watch a test vehicle with crash dummies in it hit a wall at full speed to demonstrate a crash test. Then your vehicle would turn to face an identical wall, and the joke was that you were going to do the same thing- of course your wall would open up and you'd be outside instead of crashing. I was saddened when they stopped showing the test crash.
    When did this happen? We were there March '08, and I'm pretty sure the "demo crash" was still happening...
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamFinder2 View Post
    When did this happen? We were there March '08, and I'm pretty sure the "demo crash" was still happening...
    In the current scene, you hear the sound of the crash, and the rear of the dummy car jumps up a bit as if it had just crashed. In the original scene, the car actually moved towards the wall and stopped abruptly.

My other favorite effects that have been scrapped due to maintenance are on Dinosaur. The pteranadon used to swoop towards the car as you passed under it; now it's just done with strobe lights. I think the small dinos that jump over the car no longer jump, either. (Not sure, as I haven't ridden it in over a year.)

And, of course, there's the Yeti ...
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I remember seeing on one of the Disney DVD's that there were doves at the end of BandtheB. I can't imagine though that they could have kept up the dove gig forever with they have so many shows to do everyday.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    Yeah I remember seeing on one of the Disney DVD's that there were doves at the end of BandtheB. I can't imagine though that they could have kept up the dove gig forever with they have so many shows to do everyday.
    The official justification for eliminating dove releases at BATB and other shows was that too many were being harvested by the local raptors before they could make it back to the coop.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Living with the Land much better when they had an actual person giving the tour on the boat. I don't enjoy the recorded tour as much.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LovinWDW View Post
    I liked Living with the Land much better when they had an actual person giving the tour on the boat. I don't enjoy the recorded tour as much.
    That change, like any other, was done for several reasons.

In the case of LwtL, by cutting out the live guides, they're now able to...

1) Staff attractions/facilities that are in even greater need of staffing

2) Increase capicity by being able to cycle more boats through the ride at a time, since the number of boats being used would change depending on how many Cast Members they had on any given day

3) Shorten wait times in the queue line for the guests

4) Not all of the guides were engaging and enthusiastic

Personally, I don't mind the recorded spiels at all. They're just as informative as the live guides were and do update the spiels from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I find that people didn't talk as much when it was live. Now they just talk throughout and I have a hard time hearing it.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the crashing car in test track too. It was the best "bit" of the entire ride!! I assumed it was a maintenace issue and they just got lazy about it. Disney cutting corners is always a disappointment...
    -Jim ("My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim") Born 10/1/71- The day WDW opened! "A new life has begun, when two of us are one, and we live to keep the promise- we'll go on."

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the old Tiki room - not too much of a fan of the "new management". It is starting to grow on me, but the old one was much better. I also miss the talking skeleton flag that was above you right before you would go down the falls at Pirates of the Carribean
    Cheloconnell :)

DVC Member Since 2008: BLT, GF, AK, OKW, HH

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The Test Track one is a bigger disappointment to me, because it was an element that was used to advance the storyline.

The ride sort of always felt a little disjointed to begin with, but now it's so haphazard you're sort of like, "Wait ... what just happened?"

It's awkward that they removed a key story element like that.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheloconnell View Post
    I miss the old Tiki room - not too much of a fan of the "new management".
    I agree, this one actually NEEDS to go back to it's original state! Ugh it kills me to hear the music around MK and not be able to see the real show!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

At The Beauty and the Beast show, during the finale, doves used to be released from the stage and fly over the heads of the audience members which was a great effect. Those doves are long gone.
    I am guessing this was a dove--> poo --> guests head related issue heheh

3) Live cast members used to be part of the Big Red/Little Red Poacher storyline on Kilimanjaro Safaris and it would always get a chuckle when the cast member with the rifle would talk to the ride vehicle. ALso there used to be a fake jeep that would race alongside your safari vehicle. Those elements have been removed.
    I have no memory of wither of these events. Hmm that is weird! Why can I not recall any of this happening??

D7
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately this happens with almost every ride at a major park that involves a lot of technology or man-hours to accomplish an effect. One of the most note-worthy non-disney related incidents being the best effect at Poseidon's Fury at IOA, the swirling vortex of water, being turned off to save water (a.k.a. to save money). Other disney effects to note:

• Ptereydons (sp?) at DS,
    • jumping dinos in DS,
    • On RnR there used to be an actual person that would come out to pick up the black guitar during the preshow when asked to by one of the Aerosmith band members,
    • TT crash effect (though they sort of do it now)
    • Projection of brer rabbit (I think) hopping on the wall at SM,
    • The angler fish chasing nemo at seas (is still there I think but wasn't working the past few times I have been there),
    • CMs from safaris,
    • I know there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Lots of high-tech rides start off with these great features, problem is the higher-tech an effect, the more likely it is to break down, the more it breaks down, the more cost is involved in maintaining it. Eventually effects like that are deemed to costly to maintain.

Disney does bring back effects like that from time to time when they do major upgrades though, though I hate it when they get rid of the little touches like the live CMs and little red stuff on KS. Those details are what makes Disney, Disney!
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamFinder2 View Post

Yeah it was working in Feb when we went also.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree. I have definitley had less than enigmatic cast members giving the tour, but I still felt it was more enjoyable to have that personal aspect to it.
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

When did Brer Rabbit stop hopping on the wall? Has it been completely taken out?

Also, my vote for the worst attraction change - POTC.

Post Thanks / Like

The re-do of Spaceship Earth, the desending part with the touchscreen computer thing.

I'm not going to avoid riding it, but no longer am I going to make a point of riding it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else have any attraction changes they consider to be a "change for the worse"?
    I, too, miss this original element from Kilimanjaro Safaris. Also, the driver of the safari vehicle used to stop for a moment on the creeky bridge and it would tilt to make it seem as if it were letting go. Now? It's just a quick drive over and the noise. Everytime we ride, my son mentions that he hopes the bridge breaks and that the jeep races along with us. Kind of disappointing.
    Nice work, pal.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: