Quantcast Test Track Losing GM Sponsorship? - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No, I was already thinking $10 million per year, not $10 million over 10 years.

Again ... these numbers are near meaningless for a company the size of GM.

Do you know what GM spends a year on healthcare expenses for their employees?

$12 billion. That's billion with a "b."

Now how's that paltry $10 million look?
    How many employees does GM and its subsidiaries have, close to 1,000,000?
    Not sure how it works in the auto industry, but I work for a public library and 60% of operating costs are employee related. I was a bit taken aback when I found out.
    Still, when each of our 20 some-odd branches got 25 new copies of the last Harry Potter book, I thought it was a waste just for the "next big thing". When the mania calmed down a couple months later, we had 23 copies in the back room sitting on shelves and not circulating.
    The whole TT thing reminds me of that in a way.
    No it's really not a lot of money for big companies to do these kind of things. But when the economy is bad - people are going to be critical of companies spending money on frivolous-looking ventures, no matter how small.

Separate thought and totally my Sure a 45 minute wait in line looks impressive and people think the ride is popular because of such a line but how much of that time is waiting for the ride to actually be operational?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    A tire blowout test would fit well in the current antilock breaking test zone.

WDW wouldnt even be able to find a tire company willing to SELL them tires for this type of attraction.

No tire co. would want that kind of association
    with their product
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    WDW wouldnt even be able to find a tire company willing to SELL them tires for this type of attraction.

No tire co. would want that kind of association
    with their product
    Again, nobody gets my joke. Anyone remember a little while back, the Bridgestone/Explorer ordeal? I'm surprised Bridgestone is still in business after that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Anyone remember a little while back, the Bridgestone/Explorer ordeal? I'm surprised Bridgestone is still in business after that one!
    I remember Dateline NBC planting explosives in the gas tank of Explorers because they were producing an investigative report about the danger of SUVs, but they couldn't seem to find one that would spontaneously explode; so, they rigged them to go boom! I'm surprised NBC is still in business after that one!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    I remember Dateline NBC planting explosives in the gas tank of Explorers because they were producing an investigative report about the danger of SUVs, but they couldn't seem to find one that would spontaneously explode; so, they rigged them to go boom! I'm surprised NBC is still in business after that one!
    yeah....that wasn't the bridgestone thing....

If i recall....the bridgestone thing was $400 "SUV" tires (you know....for use on the rugged, offroad conditions of the New Jersey Turnpike, Florida Turnpike, and the 405) were separating from the treads and causing loss of control of the vehicles....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShanPooh View Post
    How many employees does GM and its subsidiaries have, close to 1,000,000?
    Not sure how it works in the auto industry, but I work for a public library and 60% of operating costs are employee related. I was a bit taken aback when I found out.
    I've heard that for GM, their employee related costs are close to 80%, which is one of the big reasons for their troubles.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    yeah....that wasn't the bridgestone thing....
    I know... the NBC thing was much *much* worse though... I brought it up as a way of providing a sense of proportion. Some things are more outrageous than others.

lockedoutlogic Guest

I know... the NBC thing was much *much* worse though... I brought it up as a way of providing a sense of proportion. Some things are more outrageous than others.
    I would say that actual traffic accidents would be bigger in proportion....

Made up "news" stories have become commonplace.....there is at least 1 station (usually more than one) on your cable that does it on everystory....as a matter of policy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I would say that actual traffic accidents would be bigger in proportion....
    You said it yourself, the Bridgestone faulty tire problems were "accidents"; whereas the NBC thing was a conspiracy, involving planning and forethought.

lockedoutlogic Guest

You said it yourself, the Bridgestone faulty tire problems were "accidents"; whereas the NBC thing was a conspiracy, involving planning and forethought.
    grain of salt....actual product safety risks outweigh a fake news story that was big for 3 days....but we can agree to disagree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I've heard that for GM, their employee related costs are close to 80%, which is one of the big reasons for their troubles.
    You don't think their strategy of banking on big gas guzzling vehicles, just like they did 30 years prior, played a part as well? Could the fact that their top executives make a whole lot more than most of their foreign counterparts also play a role? It is also interesting to look at the difference in pay from the average employee to the CEO, which is also much larger for the Big 3 than their foreign counterparts.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that TT will be sticking around, even if they lose sponsorship. Disney is set to build a clone in DCA in a few years -- well, except for the whole Cars themed overlay. The ride must work for them if they want to build another.
    It's fun to be free.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYdaily View Post
    I'm sure that TT will be sticking around, even if they lose sponsorship. Disney is set to build a clone in DCA in a few years -- well, except for the whole Cars themed overlay. The ride must work for them if they want to build another.
    TT is a maintenance nightmare. There are problems with it like you wouldn't know. The new ride technology for Cars is based on TT, but better, new and improved. Without GM's cash flow to Disney, TT won't be maintained as it should be.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    TT is a maintenance nightmare. There are problems with it like you wouldn't know. The new ride technology for Cars is based on TT, but better, new and improved.
    Sounds like something a potential new sponsor could negotiate. IE, they would sign for 5-10 years and provide an initial investment of x million dollars, but want it overhauled with the newer technology. If this happens it would probably be good for both Disney as well as the new sponsor. The attraction is 10 years old, so considering the technology used, it's certainly due for some serious maintenance/upgrades.

It would be neat to see a new sponsor come in and add their touches also. Maybe add a "test lab" showcasing their new ideas for fuel efficiency and safety.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Sounds like something a potential new sponsor could negotiate. IE, they would sign for 5-10 years and provide an initial investment of x million dollars, but want it overhauled with the newer technology. If this happens it would probably be good for both Disney as well as the new sponsor. The attraction is 10 years old, so considering the technology used, it's certainly due for some serious maintenance/upgrades.

It would be neat to see a new sponsor come in and add their touches also. Maybe add a "test lab" showcasing their new ideas for fuel efficiency and safety.
    It really is time to let GM walk away. They have enough issues to deal with, mainly to make sure they stay in business. A new auto company would be the right sponsor. And you are right. An infusion of 5 to 10 million bucks would help with the updating of technology and software for this ride. Although, I wouldn't be upset if a new style ride were to replace TT. Just as long as it isn't character related.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really meaning to re-stoke this fire, buuut... let the speculation continue...

The following came from an article today at La Times
    Eleven weeks before the release of its expensive summer sequel "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen," the studio can't count on its key promotional partner to support a marketing blitz that helps drive mass awareness of Hollywood's big popcorn movies.

The struggling automaker, whose new Chevy Camaro is one of the stars of director Michael Bay's action film in which vehicles morph into giant robots, has sharply throttled back its contribution to the advertising campaign tied to the sequel's release June 24.

Officials from GM said the company's financial crisis prompted a change in plans. For 2007's "Transformers," GM backed a massive tie-in campaign, which even included TV commercials directed by Bay.

"We've pulled back on all of our marketing and advertising for obvious reasons, and spending is down dramatically," said Terry Rhadigan, communications director for Chevrolet, GM's biggest division. "It stands to reason that 'Transformers' would fall under that umbrella."

The timing couldn't be worse for the carmaker since its 2010 Camaro is just now rolling off assembly lines and being shipped to dealers. Rhadigan said although the relaunched Camaro was only a concept car and not available for sale when the first "Transformers" opened, its association with the film was highly beneficial. "It translated into awareness and boosted the overall image of Chevy," he said. "It's cool to be associated with a hot movie.
    I'll start the speculating by saying that with GM pulling out of promoting for Transformors 2, their contract to renew TestTrack is probably in danger as well.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

How long could it take to know if they will or will not stop their sponsorship?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    How long could it take to know if they will or will not stop their sponsorship?
    I wouldn't look for a press release. These kinds of deals where the sponsor doesn't renew are usually not the kind of thing that gets "publicized". IF anything is mentioned, it will most likely be when/if a new sponsor signs up. IF they don't renew, you might start slowly seeing the GM images disappear and the showroom at the exit might even close, eventually. But, I would watch here on Intercot for anything like that.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I always find it ironic that a company says, basically, "We're not selling any cars. So we're pulling back on advertising and marketing spend."

Does that make sense to anyone????
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I always find it ironic that a company says, basically, "We're not selling any cars. So we're pulling back on advertising and marketing spend."

Does that make sense to anyone????
    In most cases no, but I think that GM has so badly wounded their own reputation that extensive advertising right now is probably a waste of money. At least until they get back on their feet.
    Too many trips to count.
    DCP graduate.
    Counting down the days...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: