Quantcast Mama Melrose VS. Hollywood & Vine...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mama Melrose VS. Hollywood & Vine...

I am thinking of doing the Fantasmic Dinner package at one of these two places. I don't ordinarily eat in DHS for dinner (we usually go to BOMA or JIKO that night) but we thought we might try it this time (free dining and all...) because DH wants to hit Fantasmic for sure this trip (we've skipped it the last few times).

So, which is better and why...??? Better food, atmosphere, service, etc.

Also, what types of foods are on the buffet at H&V? I can get a specific menu for Mama's but for H&V I just get general lists... are they bland and boring or are they spiced up nicely and fresh?

We did eat at Mama's once a very long time ago and I hardly think it would be an accurate measuring stick.

Thanks!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not actually been to Hollywood and Vine...but Mama Melrose's has become a favorite for us that we go back to everytime we've go to WDW. I know other posters have been ambivalent about it, but both times we've been to Mama Melrose's (November '05 and November '07) we were completely charmed by the atmosphere and decor and delighted with the food. I can definitely recommend Mama Melrose's.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mama Melrose vs. Hollywood & Vine

We actually did 2 fantasmic dinners on our last visit--Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine.

The Hollywood & Vine dinner was one of the better dinners we had at the World.

My husband had prime rib and thought it was wonderful (and he's a meat snob)--I had shrimp and a pasta or two.

Our kids (3 & 4) found plenty they liked. We plan on doing this one again this October--we really enjoyed it.

Tip: If you like Pina Coladas, ask them to make you the specialty Pina Colada without the raspberry--it was delish!

Post Thanks / Like

We've never tried Mama Melrose but we did not like H & V. Typical buffet quality food-- things that can be made for a crowd and kept warm, mediocre at best. There wasn't anything bad, but there wasn't anything memorable or particularly good. I would definitely skip it in favor of almost anything else.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to both H&V and Mama's, and Mama's is definetly the better choice. We would not go back to H&V (mainly due to the quality of the food). We found both the food and atmosphere at Mama's very nice and would recommend it to others.

07/87 - Disneyland
    09/92 - OFF (honeymoon)
    08/06 - POP
    06/08 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

I would choose H&V. We tried MM twice and disliked it very much both times. The first time we thought it was just a bad choice in meals so we thought we would give it another try and it was the same.

I suggest you look at the menu's and let that help you decide and if that still doesn't work flip a coin.

@ intercot you will more than likely have equal amounts of people on both sides.

Good luck!
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I can only let you know about MM, never been to H&V. We thought it was great and our waitress was wonderful. The food was yummy and even the kids (who were 5 at the time) loved the appetizers. Great family atmosphere and I would definitely eat there again.

Good luck with your decision!
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Mama Melrose's Fantasmic package dinner is a must for our family. It is a tradition to go there on our first night. The kids...who are now adults have continued this tradition with their families and friends.
    The food is good and I love the atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with MM. We never really like dinner buffets and the food at MM is always consistently yummy.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We try to give every Disney restaurant two tries. We are sorry that we didn't stop after one at the H&V. We will never go back. Bad service...starting from the hostess, to the server. Tables never cleaned--dirty plates not taken away, forever to get original drink order. Floor dirty. Food bland/mediocre at best and lukewarm. Ran out of food numerous times and took forever to replace. The best part of the place is the dessert.

We go to Mama Melrose every year (the last three) and we've always had good food and great service. We've seen Fantasmic numerous times over the last six visits and will probably skip this year because we want to go to Sci-Fi or 50's since we've not been in at least ten years.
    Split Stay--AKL and CSR in 2010???

Post Thanks / Like

Default hollywood and vine

H&V is way better

its a very interesting and surprisingly healthy buffet, but i has stuff for everyone. We were very surprised the first time and went again and enjoyed it again. - Mama melrse is not bad but its not too special.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood and Vine!!!

Mama's was one of our fav's until a child was sick at the next table and no one cleaned it up. Besides that we felt like the food has been going down hill big time. Hollywood and Vine is so much better.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

So as you can see we Intercotees feel strongly both ways
    We've had really good experiences with H and V; felt it was good value for the $ and everyone in 2 large groups, including a couple of incredibly picky eaters, could find something on the buffet that they really liked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I guess I 'll just have to make a decision... We will probably try H&V since it is not our dime this time and since we have eaten at Mama's before (even if it was a while ago...)

Thanks for all of the responses!!

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
    We try to give every Disney restaurant two tries. We are sorry that we didn't stop after one at the H&V. We will never go back. Bad service...starting from the hostess, to the server. Tables never cleaned--dirty plates not taken away, forever to get original drink order. Floor dirty. Food bland/mediocre at best and lukewarm. Ran out of food numerous times and took forever to replace. The best part of the place is the dessert.

We go to Mama Melrose every year (the last three) and we've always had good food and great service.
    We had the same experience at H&V in 2000 (except that the ice cream machine was broken), and have been going back to MM each year since '01 - multiple times on each trip. We've never been disappointed, and we had stellar service each time this past summer season in '08.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... Choice between H&V or Mama Melrose huh? Can I have a third choice? Like take my eyes out with a fireplace poker? That's the only way I'd eat at either of those places...

I'd rather go hungry with only those two choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever restaurant you choose, make SURE you call for your ADR the first day you are eligible...there are very limited ADR's for the fantasmic packages...and since they are no longer every night it's a hard ADR to get. I called on my first available day...at 7am...after holding 45 minutes...I could only get H&V at 4:10pm...nothing available at either MM or BD...and since Fantasmic is at 8pm they told me no ADR's after 5:30 for that package. Now, on another note I did get CRT for 5:30 for the first night that we tried...go figure.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Hmmm... Choice between H&V or Mama Melrose huh? Can I have a third choice? Like take my eyes out with a fireplace poker? That's the only way I'd eat at either of those places...

I'd rather go hungry with only those two choices.
    I get where you are coming from that's why we haven't ever eaten at H&V and haven't eaten at MM in so long... we've always found better fare elsewhere. I'm only doing it this time for the Fantasmic tix/seating because it will be the end of August and I don't think Dmom will want to stand in a line forever in the heat (oh, and I'm not paying for it). If I can't get the fantasmic pkg when I call for ressies, we will probably forego both places and eat somewhere else altogether!

Next Trips:

Post Thanks / Like

We've eaten at both places and liked them both. With some fussy eaters in the family, Hollywood & Vine works out better for us. I like the variety of offerings and they had a great sundae bar.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

We did not like Mama Melrose when we ate there. I found the food to be just "OK" Italian food which we are not used to.

We like Hollywood and Vine because it has something for everyone in our family. I found the food to be hot and fresh. I also thought while the select was "simple" food it had alot of taste and flavor. I loved all the different types of "salads" and the desserts.

IMO all Disney buffets are overpriced and the Hollywood and Vine is no exception but for the lack of flavor in the food at Mama Melrose that was no bargain either.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: