Quantcast unnecessary wheelchair use - vent - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:

This same topic has, in the past, gotten "ugly" right here as well.

BamaJenn's last two sentences say it all; let's not assume that there are more abusers than legitimate users, and keep it civil, please.

Thank you!
    It's slowly getting "ugly" here again.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Wow, that's a new one for me. Not only are they abusing the system, but they are probably taking a scooter away from someone who really does need it.
    That was my thought too. Unfortunately there will always be those types of people out there who will look for ways to cheat the system. Who they are is not up to me to judge, but up to their own conscience. And we can't let it ruin it for all other folks who legitimately need the assistance.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We had such a difficult time with my Father and his scooter last year, that he has refused to return to WDW as it was too stressful.

I cannot possibly imagine anyone wanting to rent a wheelchair or scooter just because. Navigation is difficult, bus loading is tedious at times, ride access is not always easy, ride waits can be as long as regular lines, going through crowds is difficult. I just cannot see the ease ( and did not experience it firsthand) that some people believe a wheelchair or scooter presents.

Such a Misconception that seems to perpetuate itself...how sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crowds

Disney parks are usually crowded. People are on vacations they've looked forward to and are often beating up credit cards to pay for so many peole are trying to find a way to wait-less. But,

I'd hate to be the person who turned my "you're cheating" attention on the park guest who already is dealing with mobility in the face of disability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.

Unfortunately CMs don't 100% help that situation either. The wheel chair is technically supposed to go through the wheelchair entrance with 1-2 other people tops, while the rest of the party waits in the standby/FP line, but it rarely happens.

Luckily many of Disney's new attractions have wider queues, therefore wheelchairs just wait with everyone else...I must admit I get a big smile when I see a group of like 7 go up to a CM and say "where's the wheelchair entrance" and the CM points to the back of the line and says, "right there"...he he
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little peeved about the wheelchair issue on our trip 2 years ago.

One of the guests at our hotel did not seem to need the motorized chair he was using—I know that even people that look perfectly healthy may have a need for a WC, but this guy didn't need it that bad. He actually carried it to building 7 of POFQ (from close to the bus stop). I had seen him in the park with it and being able to jump in front of a few line, but around the resort he was jumping in the pool and running around.

Now to each his own, but what really had me peeved was that a few elderly couples that did seem to need the WC had to wait for the next bus because of this guy. I don't mind wheelchairs in the park (some of us may need them one day), and I do think that the perks should be given (because it's no picnic to have to get through a crowd with a WC), but I feel that people are abusing this and things should be more closely watched.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to say one thing. Why is it disney allows the motorized scotters. And since they do why isn't there a lane for them. Mixing people with scooters that aren't paying attention can be dangerous. Two of my family member where hurt by someone on a motorized scotter not paying attention driving out of a ride in DHS. My cousin was holding his 3 year old sleeping daughter across his body so he couldn't see directly down in front of him. He was walking right behind me. He got squirted by I think it's a firetruck that will squirts water on you so he turned his head and this crazy man zooms right in between us in his scooter crossing the street in front of dozens of people. So my cousin steps on his motor scooter and falls down backwards. Since he was holding his child he couldn't brace the fall. Then the guy wants to fight him. I will stop the story there because I don't want to start anything but we just walked off.
    I have always had a problem with these things and I don't care if someone really needs it or not there dangerous.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DANAM View Post
    I wanted to say one thing. Why is it disney allows the motorized scotters.
    The simple answer is that not everyone has the strength or physical ability to roll a conventional (or non-electric) wheelchair, or a companion capable of doing it for them. ECV's are a necessity for some people.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly OT, but I just want to weigh in on one common misconception I think I saw earlier.

Being disabled does not cause someone to become obese. I haven't been able to walk on my own or run or jog or do anything involving that in almost seven years now since I became paralyzed and I haven't gained a pound. People become overweight by eating more calories than they can burn off, plain and simple.

(ducks the tomatoes/insults/assorted 'Made in China' Disney souvenirs)

Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you know that when I come down the week of December 27th, 2009 we will be using two ECV's. One for my father who is 80 and has to use a cane to walk and my mother who is on Oxygen. About seven years ago we didn't need them. Age happens...

If someone brings their own I have no problem. They must need them.

On the other hand. People will use these for all kinds of reasons. I know there are handicapped people from all over the world that need these for places like this. But there are the ones that abuse the system. And I would say at least 20% are abusing the system. The best way to police this would be to have a Doctor's note stating what they need one for. I don't think this violates your privacy. No one will know except the one that gave you the ECV's. This will almost take care of the abusers. Except the ones who use a relative or friend that is a Doctor. Now if they can live with themselves then by all means do it.

Post Thanks / Like

My mom needs an ECV (multiple foot surgeries), although she will do whatever she can to not use one. When they were with us in 2007 she rented one for the day we were at MK and the day we were at Epcot. When we wanted to do an attraction, she parked it with the strollers. She is capable of walking short distances, but it is painful. And typically my dad would park it/back it up for her.

We're trying to convince her to rent an ECV from an outside vendor for our trip in Sept., although I dread having to watch her (or Dad, more likely) navigate the bus with it.

I agree that unfortunately ECV's are seeing some misuse, but at the same time I agree that you can't always know, nor is it really your business, why some people are using them.

Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nini5055 View Post
    I cannot possibly imagine anyone wanting to rent a wheelchair or scooter just because. Navigation is difficult, bus loading is tedious at times, ride access is not always easy, ride waits can be as long as regular lines, going through crowds is difficult. I just cannot see the ease ( and did not experience it firsthand) that some people believe a wheelchair or scooter presents.
    Well bear in mind that if you're renting a scooter just for the ride access you're not leaving the park with it so loading it on busses is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    The simple answer is that not everyone has the strength or physical ability to roll a conventional (or non-electric) wheelchair, or a companion capable of doing it for them. ECV's are a necessity for some people.
    Well ... I wouldn't say they're a necessity. I mean we got along for thousands of years without ECV's, so calling them a necessity might be a bit of an overstatement.

I would say they're more of a luxury, to be honest.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    It's slowly getting "ugly" here again.
    Yep...i bet the dreaded padlock is getting keyed and slowly working its way down this slippery slope already.

MNNHFLTX Unfortunately there will always be those types of people out there who will look for ways to cheat the system. Who they are is not up to me to judge, but up to their own conscience. And we can't let it ruin it for all other folks who legitimately need the assistance.
    Exactly.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone would begrudge those that need it getting a bit of assistance. But, I also think it is Polyannahish to pretend that no abuse is happening.
    We have heard family groups discussing who was paying for the ECV that day since it had been so much fun to take turns riding in it the day before.
    We have also witnessed a young lady hop out of her ECV, run to the queue and then with no effort jump over the chains to short cut the line. Did she really need it? I don't know, but don't chastise me for having my doubts.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... I wouldn't say they're a necessity. I mean we got along for thousands of years without ECV's, so calling them a necessity might be a bit of an overstatement.

I would say they're more of a luxury, to be honest.
    Come on Ian ... as someone that doesn't have to use an ECV that's an easy statement to make. Not a fair assessment, and kind of insensitive to people with different physical needs.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Default unnecessary wheelchair

i feel so bad. i need an evc because i am burnt over 80% of my body, i am heavy and have arthritis, and i am debating whether or not to get one this time, when we go. after all i read on here, i would never want anyone to think i did it to get in the front of the line. when we have gone we have never gotten into a line faster, because i get off of the evc and stand in line because i need to get up sometimes. i have also gone with 2 grand-daughters who were 8 months pregnant and let them ride when i needed to walk and their feet were swelled. you just never know why people are using wheelchairs, i do not in my private life, but i want to be able to be with my kids and grandkids.
    Justice11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justice11 View Post
    i feel so bad. i need an evc because i am burnt over 80% of my body, i am heavy and have arthritis, and i am debating whether or not to get one this time, when we go. after all i read on here, i would never want anyone to think i did it to get in the front of the line. when we have gone we have never gotten into a line faster, because i get off of the evc and stand in line because i need to get up sometimes. i have also gone with 2 grand-daughters who were 8 months pregnant and let them ride when i needed to walk and their feet were swelled. you just never know why people are using wheelchairs, i do not in my private life, but i want to be able to be with my kids and grandkids.
    I really don't think anyone on this thread is intentionally targeting wheelchair/ EVC users. The fact that people abuse the privileged is horrible because I recognize there are people, like you, who truly need them. I would hate to know that you were passing up a trip because of your need to use an EVC.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    Yep.

They must do things differently out there. I've been with wheelchair/scooter folk at WDW and, with a few exceptions, we all wait in the same line.
    My mother occasionally has to rent a scooter when she goes with us because her knees can't handle the standing anymore. Probably about 1/2 the lines have separate wheelchair entries vs. regular lines. And I'm not sure if I can' think of any where it gets you front of line. Peter Pan maybe is pretty close?
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.
    It's not that easy because Disney is re-designing the lines to accomodate "wheels". That's as it should be - who better to wait than those of us already seated?
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    .... who better to wait than those of us already seated?
    So very well said. Thank you!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: