Quantcast Anyone NOT used a stroller for a five year old?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone NOT used a stroller for a five year old?

I see a lot of posts here about people putting 5-10 year olds in a stroller. Has anyone had any trouble making a child walk? We have two DSs (2 and 5) and I was hoping to get by with just a nice umbrella stroller rather than our sit and stand. Since I am driving I might bring both but the double takes up a ton of trunk room. Renting is out of the question. I can't believe what they can charge to rent a stroller.

We are probably only doing half days at the parks with naps in the middle of the day.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I took DS5 I went without a stroller every day but 1. Several days of all that walking takes a cumulative toll on the kids (heck, I want a stroller after a couple of days). So, if you take lots of breaks, maybe take the afternoons off, you should be fine, but if you go all day every day then your 5 yr old will eventually wear out.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We took my 4 year old nephew this past sept and we didn't have a stroller at all. He was fine. We just took a mid day break and if he said he was tired we sat. He has so much to see and do that he wanted to keep going even when we were ready for a break.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

When my DS turned 4 we no longer used a stroller. He is now 6 and we have heard no complaints. You sit quite frequently on rides etc., I don't think it is a big deal. We still use a stroller for the 3 year old and hope to give that up when he turns 4 as well. The only question left - where do I put all my cups and bags without the stoller
    Cheloconnell :)

DVC Member Since 2008: BLT, GF, AK, OKW, HH

Post Thanks / Like

Default stroller

When we went we just took one and try to take turns. Sometimes the older ones get tired. It seems to work out for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

DD has not used a stroller since she was 3 except for the trip when she was sick and she and my niece shared a double for most of the trip. She's done fine without one.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the length of your trip and activity level. We are full steam ahead for 11 days straight. We usually visit park, go to pool, and visit second park in evening almost everyday. Usually never there for opening, but almost always for closing. This year my kids are 7 and 3 and I was thinking of not bringing stroller for 7 year old, but it has to come along at the pace we run the kids. Both usually pass out just as we are leaving the park at closing. I also rent a car for the same reason. I can't see myself carrying both of them onto bus after park closes. But if your trip is a shorter one and at a slower pace I believe it is doable.

BTW - I think it is great exercise pushing all of that weight around. I eat for two people on my trips to WDW, and never gain weight. I also sleep like a rock.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

We took out neices then ages 4 & 6 for 4 days with no stroller. Since we only had 4 days we pretty much went all day long, no naps (they weren't taking naps at home by that age) and no mid day breaks. I did end up carrying the 4 year old half way around World Showcase, but she was a great walker most of the time. They both fell asleep at the bus stop the night we stayed late for the MK fireworks and holding them both while we waited in a loooong line was a bit tiring. All in all I think it worked out well and I'd do it again except that we now prefer to rent a car so the long bus lines aren't an issue.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

One benefit of a stroller that has nothing to do with their legs is keeping the sun from beating down on them and keeping them safe in crowds. Those two reasons are more important to me than "if" the kid can walk it. Yes, I think they all probably could walk it.... but it is much more enjoyable having them in a stroller and much healthier not being in the direct sun so much and safer too. To me, rental is worth every penny, even if it is expensive.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

First took our kids when they were 6 & 9. Our 6 year old was fine walking, in fact we needed a leash more than a stroller; he never really got too tired (too much excitement)
    but he did sleep good at night.

On the other hand, one trip my DW twisted her ankle unloading the car on our first day at the resort, and we rented a wheelchair for her for a few days until she could walk on it without pain. She thought it was great, and actually enjoyed the parks a lot more because she wasn't so tired.
    The rest of us were a little more exhausted from pushing her around all day though.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip to WDW, DD12 had just turned 6. We did not have a stroller and she did just fine.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

We did not use a stroller for DS5 on our last trip (he was 4). He did fine at MK. WS at Epcot was a little (only a little)much, but we hit it hard and didn't stop much. I would do our next trip without one again.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We took our 5 yr old dd last August for 7 days (it was her 1st trip). I think you would be fine without a stroller.

Post Thanks / Like

Default no stroller here

I was 5 for my first trip (many years ago ) and did not use a stroller. My brother was 16 at the time, so him and my dad alternated putting me on their shoulders if i got really tired or at park closings when it was crowded.
    "Don't bustle me. Don't now-then me."
    --Eeyore

Post Thanks / Like

when we went in 2007 my DD was 5 (just) we went with another family who had a DD9 since she didn't have a stroller - my DD wasn't about to use one - all went well - she did better than the rest of us - we were there a week
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip with DS he was 5.5 and had no stroller, we normally went morning till about dinner time and than a swim no parks at night (I know what rookies!) and we never used one for him>

DN was turning 6 on the trip we didn't have a stroller either, normally took an afternoon break and if was tuckered out (happened I think one time the kid's an energizer bunny) my brother put him on his shoulders>

We liked not having to look for the stroller afterwards but I would guess that it's not to everyone's taste.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scootch713 View Post
    One benefit of a stroller that has nothing to do with their legs is keeping the sun from beating down on them and keeping them safe in crowds. Those two reasons are more important to me than "if" the kid can walk it. Yes, I think they all probably could walk it.... but it is much more enjoyable having them in a stroller and much healthier not being in the direct sun so much and safer too. To me, rental is worth every penny, even if it is expensive.
    Good point! I never thought of this during our quandry of whether to give our arm and leg for stroller rental.

But thanks to the OP for asking this question. We're wondering too whether to take out the small loan to rent a stroller for our "just turned 5 yr. old" on our upcoming trip. Unfortunately, we don't own a stoller anymore and even his average size (40lbs) prohibits use of a cheap umbrella stoller.

Post Thanks / Like

In the fall of 2007, we took a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old to WDW. We used a single stroller for the 2.5 year old and the 5 year old walked mostly. A few times,at the end of the day, we carried the 2.5 year old and pushed the 5 year old. The 2.5 year walked some, too. (If big brother is doing it, little brother has to do it, too.)

We train for walking, though. We take the kids on long walks 3 times a week for about 4-6 weeks before we go to WDW. This makes sure they're up to the exercise. We also bring pretty of children's Motrin with us, in case their feet hurt.

Our stroller is a four wheeled stroller that collapses. It was totally worth taking with us.

For the prices that Disney is charging you could buy a good four wheel stroller for the cost of renting a Disney stroller for a week, especially if you get a used one at a store like "Once Upon a Toy."

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scootch713 View Post
    *shrug* We do just fine with lots of heavy duty sunblock and good hydration.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    Good point! I never thought of this during our quandry of whether to give our arm and leg for stroller rental.

But thanks to the OP for asking this question. We're wondering too whether to take out the small loan to rent a stroller for our "just turned 5 yr. old" on our upcoming trip. Unfortunately, we don't own a stoller anymore and even his average size (40lbs) prohibits use of a cheap umbrella stoller.
    My DS (5) is somewhere between 52 and 55 lbs now (haven't weighed him in a while) and he does just fine in our two strollers. He's also tall, so his biggest problem is his feet dragging.

I think you will do just fine with one of the $40 red strollers sold at all WDW stroller rental locations and at most WDW gift shops/ resorts. Buy it at WDW and if it is still usable by the end of your trip, simply "gift" it to another lucky traveler OR take it home! (And save a ton of $$ in the process )

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: