Quantcast When do you start packing?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you start packing?

I admit to being a planning nut when it comes to my WDW trips. Lists, more lists....what I want to know from my fellow Disney fans...is how far in advance do you start packing?

I have only 29 days to go but once my DME tags arrived I felt the need to start getting stuff together. Clothes will have to wait for the last minute until I know what the weather is going to be the week we are there.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We leave 3 weeks from today and I pulled the suitcases down from the attic last night. I will start packing socks, underwear, pajamas, toiletries now and leave the suitcases open in my room and just throw things in it as it pops in my head.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

This is embarrassing I pack 3 months before...sometimes more! For our first trip, I packed 6 months before the trip, but only because I bought new outfits for the whole family(everything from head to toe). I pack the bulk of what we're bringing early and then throw in the little stuff the week before we leave. It's a sickness I love every aspect of the pre-trip...even non-Dsiney trips!
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I usually just pack the night before. I usually know what I'm going to bring so put my clothes in the suitcase and then in my carry on I put my camera and everything else but that is all done the night before sometimes even day of.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Default Packing

I usually start packing 1-2 weeks before. And waiting that long drives me nuts. I am from Massachusetts, so if it is Winter time here, I can pack the warm clothes earlier.
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Were leaving next fri and I almost have all the kids stuff put togetherActually things are in piles all around our houseI cant wait

Stephanie
    Disneyland passholder since 2003

2008 WDW may 6-12 FIRST TRIP!!!
    all star sports

2009 Jan 23-feb 1
    contemporary

<<<next visit>>>
    2009 aug 6-10 No Kids;)
    yacht club ...concierge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm embarrased too! We leave feb.27 and I started throwing stuff in the suitcase already!! I start thinking of what we need after New Years because we usually go down in the spring. kind of goofy huh!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I am also one of those who packs the night before. I usually have all my lists ready but don't actually do it until right before bed the night before we leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time I pack the morning that we leave. We usually have a flight that leaves around 8:00AM. We get up at 5:00AM. I get ready first, then the rest of the family. While everyone is getting ready I put the clothes in the suitcase. I just figure how many days we'll be gone and pack according to the season.

If I pack any time before that I'll ALWAYS wonder "did I pack that or did I pack this"? It's not like we can't pick up stuff in Florida, after all it's still the United States.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually start packing the suitcase 2-3 days before we go. However, I have a small suitcase that has our "Disney" items kept in there year round(spray water bottle, parade light up things etc). I also start a tote about 2 months before we go of things such as toiletries and other items I am afraid of forgetting. I also have already started a packing and grocery list for when we go in Sept.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I am not embarrassed to say that I pack up to six months ahead. When we take a May trip, it doesn't get quite warm enough to wear my WDW clothes, so I pack them. We have separate toiletries that go to WDW than what's at home, so that all gets packed. Is it an illness? Nah, not really. But it sure is fun. I make my lists, check it twice, three times, sometimes more. I also have a list of things I need to purchase to pack and things to purchase when I get there and head for Walmart for milk, juice, etc.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I usually start packing about a month before we go. I start making the lists, and coordinating the outfits, yeah I'm one of those people. I've already started making lists of what to buy when we are there in September for groceries. This will be the first time we will be staying using our DVC so needless to say I'm excited.
    Sept 99 Caribbean Beach
    Sept 00 AS Mu
    Sept 01 Wilderness Lodge & Our Disney Wedding
    May 02 AS Mo
    Sept 03 AS Mo
    Sept 05 Pop
    Sept 07 Pop
    Sept 08 Pop
    Sept 09 SSR
    Dec 09 AKL KV
    Aug 10 AKL KV
    Dec 10 SSR
    Sept 11 AKL KV
    Jan 12 Marathon Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    I am not embarrassed to say that I pack up to six months ahead. When we take a May trip, it doesn't get quite warm enough to wear my WDW clothes, so I pack them. We have separate toiletries that go to WDW than what's at home, so that all gets packed. Is it an illness? Nah, not really. But it sure is fun. I make my lists, check it twice, three times, sometimes more. I also have a list of things I need to purchase to pack and things to purchase when I get there and head for Walmart for milk, juice, etc.
    Too funny! I drive my husband nuts with all of my lists! I make them for everything...the boys' school, travel, shopping, work around the house...you get the picture. It can be a bit much, but I rarely forget anything. I think he secretly likes them, because in the long run...they make things easier But, I'm sure this is all he hears
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we ever completely unpack. We have a bag that is just "stuff" for disney. The other stuff.....three months isn't unheard of for me. I at least start placing my things together so that packing will be much easier. Two weeks out....everything except last minute items will be packed.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonAR View Post
    I'm not sure we ever completely unpack.

I hear that! Our sundries/toiletries bag is filled with travel sized things that we don't use at home, and it just stays packed. Same with my backpack, only the vouchers and a current Birnbaums guide need to be switched into place.

Clothes-wise, I make a schematic drawing detailing what items go in which suitcase and then about 2 weeks out, as the clothes, socks and unmentionables become available to be taken out of the rotation, I sneak them into their pews.

When we hit T-minus one week to go we are all packed, locked and ready to roll.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

We leave in just over a week, and I have had a few things gathered together for five or six months. The real packing will be done a couple days before we leave, but the non-clothing stuff will be done sometime this weekend. Heck, if I get the chance, I might just have all of my stuff packed tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this obsession! We leave on Feb 7th and I have a bag that I'm tossing stuff in as I get it. I'll start getting really serious about it in another week to week and a half. For me, the pre-trip (planning, packing, etc...) is almost as fun as the vacation itself. Sad...I know
    Poly June '92
    CBR Mar '05
    POP Dec '06
    POFQ Feb '09

Next trip: Nothing planned

Post Thanks / Like

I have some vacation stuff that stays packed (or is at least stored someplace that I can easily find it) but the vast majority gets packed the day before or the day of, depending on what time we are leaving. I do make packing lists and make sure I have all the necessary toiletries and such well before I start packing though - I don't want to make any last minute shopping trips. Our next trip is in 53 days and I haven't even thought about packing yet.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

1) I have traveled a lot for work.
    2) I mean A LOT.
    3) Now, I pack
    . . . 1-hr ahead of time if daytime departure
    . . . night before if an early morning departure
    . . . not at all when at our Florida house
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! we have a drawer in our guest room with DIsney stuff. Water bottles, autograph book, glow sticks, ponchos, pressed penny book....I have my suitcases airing out and I have been making a list of the stuff I have been getting/packing for the trip.

The one thing that I am a little nervous about...we had my DS try on all his shorts and he outgrew most. I am hoping that spring stuff will be in stores soon...I am sure they will.

My husband thinks I am nuts. My DS has a new stroller from last trip..I wanted to make sure old stroller cover fit...it does...wanted to make sure stroller fit in new airplane bag...it does....Seeing as the responsibility of making sure "we have everything" falls on me I find the need to start early...
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: