Quantcast Disney lodging is no longer price competitive - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    My statistics are from talking with people who have gone to WDW and booked deluxe accommodations and have come back and spoken with me.
    Ok, so it's a completely ad hoc theory, which is fine, but I just wanted to clarify...

They do say that they had a nice stay (most of the time) but almost every one has said to me that it was not an actual deluxe experience as they have experienced in other locations...
    So, do you think that people's expectations are too high before their stay? And if so, why do you think they are that way? I frankly wouldn't know what to expect if someone told me I was going on a "deluxe experience" somewhere. (What's a deluxe experience in, say, Debuque?) Though ask me if I think it would be something "deluxe" to stay a monorail or boat-ride away from the MK, and I would say "yes."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I'm sure it was a great trip....but 500+ a night? But most of what was credited was fluff...not concierge type stuff. And it didn't cost them much to do it.

Sorry....not cutting it.
    Nope...much less....free upgrade form an AP rate garden view room.....and still treated like we were the king and queen of England. I will say, though, that our stay and the service would warrant such prices on this last visit!

I don't demand things like free cars and other such expected concierge goodies no matter where I vacation (not even when we stayed at places that offered such services). I'm also not a millionaire or celebrity, so I would never expect such things from concierge. Smaller, yet still lovely, things make me happy....like comping a very expensive meal because we casually mentioned in conversation that we tried a place for the first time and didn't like it (after we were specifically asked if we enjoyed our meal there when we returned to the hotel). Never complained, never demanded, expected absolutely nothing....got our money back. That is service.

The night they took the time to take us around the GF grounds for pictures because concierge thought we looked very nice dressed for dinner was another unexpected perk. Hey, who needs to pay the FP photographer? Saved us a little money. They also gave us a beautiful 11x14 frame the next day to frame one of those pictures at home. Again...a wonderful surprise.

I'm not here to say everyone gets this treatment, but this last stay has changed my attitude toward GF concierge. We got MUCH more than our money's worth on this trip, plus others in the past.

Sorry if I can't join in on the deluxe complaint forum here....we've been thrilled with our last 3 trips (2 GF, 1 Poly).
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Nope...much less....free upgrade form an AP rate garden view room.....and still treated like we were the king and queen of England. I will say, though, that our stay and the service would warrant such prices on this last visit!

I don't demand things like free cars and other such expected concierge goodies no matter where I vacation (not even when we stayed at places that offered such services). I'm also not a millionaire or celebrity, so I would never expect such things from concierge. Smaller, yet still lovely, things make me happy....like comping a very expensive meal because we casually mentioned in conversation that we tried a place for the first time and didn't like it (after we were specifically asked if we enjoyed our meal there when we returned to the hotel). Never complained, never demanded, expected absolutely nothing....got our money back. That is service.

The night they took the time to take us around the GF grounds for pictures because concierge thought we looked very nice dressed for dinner was another unexpected perk. Hey, who needs to pay the FP photographer? Saved us a little money. They also gave us a beautiful 11x14 frame the next day to frame one of those pictures at home. Again...a wonderful surprise.

I'm not here to say everyone gets this treatment, but this last stay has changed my attitude toward GF concierge. We got MUCH more than our money's worth on this trip, plus others in the past.

Sorry if I can't join in on the deluxe complaint forum here....we've been thrilled with our last 3 trips (2 GF, 1 Poly).
    unless i'm misunderstanding....you kinda invalidated your entire argument (post....not really an argument per se)

If you had those accomodations on a upgrade from and already discounted room...then you weren't paying the rate we're talking about.

the only way this discussion can work is if we're talking about rack rate....figuring discounts or upgrades into play throws the whole thing off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    the only way this discussion can work is if we're talking about rack rate....figuring discounts or upgrades into play throws the whole thing off
    Who really pays rack rate?? I never have in 12 years of staying in WDW resorts, concierge or not. So, your argument doesn't really work either.

Also, I said in my post that based on our stay, concierge/club prices would still have been reasonable.

I was also making the point that even though we had a free upgrade, they STILL treated us like we were the richest and most influential people there....aka celebrities. Didn't have to, but they did. That's excellent service.

I think you missed my point. Please stop reading into or trying to pick apart every post you respond to here.

But, no matter what, I'm apparently wearing rose colored glasses on this matter.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

lockedoutlogic Guest

Who really pays rack rate?? I never have in 12 years of staying in WDW resorts, concierge or not. So, your argument doesn't really work either.

Also, I said in my post that based on our stay, concierge/club prices would still have been reasonable.

I was also making the point that even though we had a free upgrade, they STILL treated us like we were the richest and most influential people there....aka celebrities. Didn't have to, but they did. That's excellent service.

I think you missed my point. Please stop reading into or trying to pick apart every post you respond to here.

But, no matter what, I'm apparently wearing rose colored glasses on this matter.
    I did not miss the point that you had a really good time....sorry if i'm giving you that impression.

but most people do pay a rack rate at the disney resorts...whether they know it or not.

when you book a vacation package, the money "explodes" on checkin and is divided to different revenue sources....more often than not the rate is the standard rate on the room.

Also, it's not as though there are millions of discounts out there....there are basically six:

travel agent/airline
    military
    cast member
    annual passholder
    florida resident
    AAA

Those are the only standing discounts...and sometimes they are very limited. Special deals offered to the general public are much more rare at WDW than at most other hotels on earth.

Not to do the back and forth thing.....but I worked operations at WDW....i know where the money goes and the percentage of those that pay rack.....and one of the locations was the grand floridian....so i know all too well the types and numbers of comments about the percieved "value" that the guest got from their rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    So, do you think that people's expectations are too high before their stay? And if so, why do you think they are that way? I frankly wouldn't know what to expect if someone told me I was going on a "deluxe experience" somewhere. (What's a deluxe experience in, say, Debuque?) Though ask me if I think it would be something "deluxe" to stay a monorail or boat-ride away from the MK, and I would say "yes."
    There are things missing from Deluxe resorts that are available at Radissons, Best Western and the Holiday Inn. I'd like to reserve a room with a king size bed - guests should not have to cross their fingers and hope their request is granted. Free internet and a cable movie channel would be nice. Despite the fact that there's a magical world outside the resort some people do have to spend time in their room for one reason or another (napping children, sick travel companion, or just want to take a break) it would be nice to not have to watch that appliance guy or Disney commercials.

Then there are things that take the service above other hotels like mini bars, waitress service at the pool, a bathrobe to use during your stay.

I stayed in a resort once that offered a sample of the drink of the day to everyone at the pool area and passed around cool wet wash clothes later in the afternoon. These aren't big deal items but little services that make you feel like a special guest.

Post Thanks / Like

So is Disney price competitive?? Well honestly..probably not. But the thing is..there are people out there who are willing to pay the price to stay on site so Disney really has no reason to be. Take my parents for instance. They have no desire to stay anywhere else than Deluxe. Why? Because they like the ease and convenience of it. That's right..they are not paying for the accommodations, they are paying for transportation. They have not had much luck with the bus system and don't want to stress about trying to drive around WDW. So it is the monorail that saves the day. Yes..they will have to ride the bus to get to two of the parks but that is not the point to them. The monorail is conveniently there for them whenever they need it. To some it is ridiculous to pay that much for convenience..but to them, it makes or breaks their vacation. To each his own i guess.

SIDE NOTE: I checked out the Universal hotels via their websites..and I have to admit I am glad to see Disney has some competition there. It keeps Disney on their toes!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

"Many more people..leave WDW..dissatisfied". Wha? Many more people leave WDW dissatisfied than leave satisfied? That's a bold assertion. Please provide your stats and sources so that this can be independently verified.
    It would be a bold assertion ... if she had actually made it. You completely twisted her words into something she didn't actually say.

What she said was, " ... many more people leave after a WDW deluxe stay dissatisfied because they have the expectation of a deluxe stay that they would receive anywhere else." which clearly is not what you're trying to imply that she said.

Her point was that many people leave WDW after having stayed in a Deluxe resort, disapppointed by the level of service and accomodations they received for their money. She did not try to say that more people leave WDW dissatisfied than satisfied.

Also, since the last time I checked you weren't a forum moderator nor the originator of this thread, I'll ask that you refrain from dictating what can and cannot be discussed in it.

My suggestion to you would be ... if you don't like what's being said in the thread, don't read it.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, there is no such thing as someone's expectations being "too high."

Unless they're visiting on someone else's dime, the guy (or girl) who writes the check to Disney has every right to determine what his or her expectations are.

If, after they've visited, the experience didn't meet their own personal expectations then they have every right to make a different decision on their next visit. Or they could choose not to visit again at all.

As far as where these expectations are set, most people travel to many different vacation destinations and, therefore, have expectations set based on prior experiences.

I.E. if I visit a Four Seasons in Hawaii, the Waldorf Astoria in Hawaii, and a Atlantis in the Bahamas and then I stay in the Grand Floridian, I come with a pre-set notion of what I'm going to get for $500 a night.

And I think, in that particular value proposition, many people would come away feeling that the Disney experience was lacking.

Contrary to what some people would have you believe, Disney is not the be-all/end-all of customer service. At least not anymore.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deluxe

Disney has its own definition of deluxe.
    I've never been to V&A's but everywhere else I've been at WDW seems like it's perfectly suited to someone wearing a character T and flip flops pushing a stroller loaded like a homeless person's shopping cart - which seems to be the typical WDW guest.

Debating the difference between WDW and Universal Orlando hotels seems like debating Big Mac vs. Whopper, I mean, does it matter? They're theme park hotels. Do we really care which imitates the South Pacific or Europe better?

My wife and I have stayed at WDW in what Disney tells us are Deluxe, Moderate and Value resorts. We've never had a room that made us say, "yuck" or a room that made us say, "wow".

Those who choose to spend hundreds or thousands more for their WDW room so they can look out their window and see the castle or wait in line to squeeze into an already full monorail car don't hurt me in the least. In fact, if people buying "VIP" "experiences" at WDW "Deluxe" resorts help keep the company going and value resort rooms priced low. God bless 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope...much less....free upgrade form an AP rate garden view room...
    I enjoyed reading this post.

WDW should be looking for opportunities to make lifelong loyal repeat customers like SStitch. A comped meal for a concierge level guest... a photo taken and a frame...

Not because Jiminy Cricket tells them to but because it's good business.

It's the way people who think a WDW vacation is a "once in a lifetime" experience become repeat visitors...

and repeat visitors become DVC members...

and DVC members become WDW evangelists...

and stockholders get dividends...

that they spend at Disney world.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow there are some grumpy people today!

I tend to fall in with the people who say that if someone is unhappy with the cost to service ratio at Disney then there are many more hotels in the area that will be happy to take your money. If enough people start making that decision then occupancy rates will drop and Disney will have to drop the room cost to get people back in. If we keep going back then we're voting with our wallets that we think the amenities are something we're willing to pay for.

The list of things we pay more for because we're staying on Disney property is endless. The salmon at Artist's Point costs more than the salmon at an Orlando seafood place not because it's better, but because of the 'Disney' factor. Popcorn costs more, french fries cost more, soda costs more, heck I'm sure cough syrup costs more.

For some people the costs outweigh the benefits, and I wish them nothing but the best however they choose to spend their money! For others the costs are worth it and I also wish them nothing but the best.

There's no right or wrong answer for everyone, it's an individual choice, and I don't think there's any point in attacking posters just because they fall on one side of the fence or another.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garsh!

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Wow there are some grumpy people today! ...
    Garsh! I hope you didn't get the impression I'm Grumpy. (Doc, maybe, sometimes Dopey)

I checked my Mickey Mood Ring pin this am and it says my mood is swell!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, quite the 'heated' exchanges on this post.

I still do not understand why-
    for some it is so important to be right ...

to me it is about what you enjoy, and what makes your vacation work for you.

I have stayed offsite (cheap), on site (moderate) and the last time delux.
    I would not trade my trip to the poly for another experience. It made me happy.
    If it were all about the money that i spent- then what was the point of the vacation in the first place?
    To me it was about giving my dd one unforgetable trip. My memories of that trip still make me smile today. And that is what it is all about.
    If saving lots of money by staying off site is what makes the trip better for you- great all the more power to you.
    I do not believe that disney is no longer price competitive - it can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want. Its services are what they are (delux club level is not concierge), and many keep coming back.
    I believe that Universal has to offer better accomidations at reduced prices to compete with disney's experience. If they did not, why would you consider going there? They need to compete with disney for the obvious reason.
    Which begs to question- how many discussion boards are there for people so impassioned about going to universal studios? (ie like intercot)

As far as grumpy (or doc, or dopey, or even sneezy) - its all good.
    Enjoy your day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    There are things missing from Deluxe resorts that are available at Radissons, Best Western and the Holiday Inn. I'd like to reserve a room with a king size bed - guests should not have to cross their fingers and hope their request is granted. Free internet and a cable movie channel would be nice. Despite the fact that there's a magical world outside the resort some people do have to...
    Sure, a king-size for everyone who asks for it would be great, but you have to admit that the amenity of a 'magical world outside your door' trumps a lot of things, such as the lack of HBO or not having phones in the bathrooms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ... many more people leave after a WDW deluxe stay dissatisfied.
    Let's just get to the bottom of this whole satisfaction thingy...

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=148417
    WDW Deluxe Resort Satisfaction Survey!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, a king-size for everyone who asks for it would be great, but you have to admit that the amenity of a 'magical world outside your door' trumps a lot of things, such as the lack of HBO or not having phones in the bathrooms.
    Actually there are people who want those things as well as a good location. For them, that is what is magical.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there are people who want those things as well as a good location. For them, that is what is magical.
    I do of course understand that everyone is different, and because of that, no travel destination is going to be perfect for everyone. That was essentially the point of TOYMAN's post, which I had so lauded as the definitive word in this thread.

WDW should not operate in stasis either. Certainly they should continue to adjust/update the amenities offered at the resorts. For example, I think some of ChristineC68's suggestions for additional pool-side services would be splendid. That being said, my last stay at WDW was completely satisfactory, even though those perks did not exist there.

But seriously now, are there really people who find a phone in the john magical? I'm just thinking gross ~~~~
    Last edited by cgriff; 01-13-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I checked my Mickey Mood Ring pin this am and it says my mood is swell!
    Good 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Guests that stay at the value resorts have the magical world outside their door also. For three times the price, guests staying at Deluxes should feel like they are getting more inside the resort. (Or what ever the price difference is)

For the record, I agree with you that phones in the bathroom are gross. I NEVER need to use the phone that badly. LOL!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: