Quantcast What are you reading..fall edition?? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently, I read all 4 Twilight novels and The Host for the first time.

I am also rereading the Beloved Mitford series by Jan Karon for the 4th or 5th time. Love them!
    Favorite trips:
    Citrus Bowl with the Pride of the Southland: 12/2001
    Pop Century: 08/2004
    Pop Century: 12/2006
    Pop Century: 05/2007

º0ºShannonº0º

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Did you read Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair? I really didn't like it much. It's not bad, but it didn't engage me. So I have been hesitant to pick up TSLoBees, but I keep hearing good things and the movie looks fantastic. I wish I'd read Bees first, but I think I'll pick it up now.

I just finished Augusten Burroughs's Running with Scissors. Really enjoyed it. I don't normally enjoy nonfiction, but his style is so fascinating. It took place in my area, and he's around my age. There's a movie, too. I want to see that, and I want to read Dry, his follow up.
    I loved The Mermaid Chair, but it absolutely PALES in comparison to The Secret Life of Bees. That is one of my favorite books ever. I hope you enjoy it!
    Favorite trips:
    Citrus Bowl with the Pride of the Southland: 12/2001
    Pop Century: 08/2004
    Pop Century: 12/2006
    Pop Century: 05/2007

º0ºShannonº0º

Post Thanks / Like

I just read The Photograph by Virginia Ellis. I loved it!
    laughter is timeless. imagination has no age. and dreams are forever.

Past Disney World Trips:
    2/97, 4/98, & 4/00 offsite
    7/06 Honeymoon @ CSR, 9/07 @ Pop with MNSSHP, 2/09 @ POR, 12/09 @ CBR with MVMCP, 1/11 @ CSR
    Next Trip:
    12/15 @ Pop! First trip with 2 little princesses!

Post Thanks / Like

I finished Last Lecture a couple weeks ago and DGF has convinced me to read the Twilight series (so far, so good!).
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished "Distant Shores" by Kristin Hannah. It was outstanding! It was the type of romance book I love-a real married couple who actually love each other.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten like 30 books off bookmooch, and have no clue when i'm going to read them all! (Seriously, the site is awesome!)

I just started "Water for Elephants" last night. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion, but I've heard some amazing things about the book from friends.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    I've gotten like 30 books off bookmooch, and have no clue when i'm going to read them all! (Seriously, the site is awesome!)
    It's not entirely awesome from an author's point of view. When you swap books or buy books from a used book source, the author doesn't get royalties, which basically means they're not getting paid even though you're enjoying their work. But on the upside, it's a great way to introduce new readers to an author's work (like libraries), because there's little to no financial risk in trying something new. I'm as willing to buy used or swap as anyone else, but when I find an author I really like, I make it a point to buy their work out of appreciation, and to make sure they keep writing and selling books. Just a humble observation from someone trying to make a living.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    It's not entirely awesome from an author's point of view. When you swap books or buy books from a used book source, the author doesn't get royalties, which basically means they're not getting paid even though you're enjoying their work. But on the upside, it's a great way to introduce new readers to an author's work (like libraries), because there's little to no financial risk in trying something new. I'm as willing to buy used or swap as anyone else, but when I find an author I really like, I make it a point to buy their work out of appreciation, and to make sure they keep writing and selling books. Just a humble observation from someone trying to make a living.
    Yeah, I can see that, but it's really no different than a global library. I only buy books that I know I'll want to reread. Books are way too expensive nowadays! Have you ever noticed a book that would have cost like $4.99 in 1996 now costs like $11.99? It's crazy!!! I don't need fancy paper or trade paperback size or nicely textured covers. I just want to read the book! LOL!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

The Kingdom Keepers 2 : Disney at Dawn... when I can get it away from my DD.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished reading "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson. It was wonderful -- hilarious and sad at the same time. I really like her books.

Last night I started "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith (8th book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series).

Next up will be "What Was Lost" by Catherine O'Flynn and "The Miracle at Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    The Kingdom Keepers 2 : Disney at Dawn... when I can get it away from my DD.
    I just finished that but now I've gone back to read the first one because I was lost at the beginning of the second one with some of the characters that I had forgotten. Apparently there is going to be a third because of the way it ends. Good book!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

i now moved on to..
    True Believer by Nicholas Sparks..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Neat thread...

Going through the Jack Ryan series of Tom Clancy books in order...into "Clear and Present Danger" now.

It's incredible how they hacked the movie versions!
    First Trip - January 2003

DVC
    Kidani Village - AKL
    Bay Lake Tower
    Riviera Resort

VMK - QueenThump & BrerFan

Post Thanks / Like

I've just started Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. Recently, I finished The Pact, also by Picoult. I love her books and her style of writing, and most of all, her endings!!
    Alyse
    Proud wife and mom!

Many visits to WDW from 1993-2007
    August 2009- Off site
    June 2012- Off site- DS's first trip to WDW!

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished a book called "Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White" by Adam Hamilton. It's a book about ways Christians can find common ground on divisive issues. It's a very thought provoking book. I highly recommend it, especially if you are disheartened by the current state of polarization within Christianity and politics.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I plow through a lot of books, so I am a little surprised that I hadn't posted on this earlier. My current reading stack has these books:

"Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. A humorous take on superheroes, mainly from a villain perspective. (Re-reading it though)

"No Plot, No Problem" by Chris Baty for NaNoWriMo. (I'm behind on my wordcount, but catching up fast.)

"Batman and Philosophy" ed by Mark White and Robert Arp. Philosophy as it applies to comics in general, and Batman in particular.

"Deer Hunting with Jesus" by Joe Bageant. Seemed topical during the campaign season.

"A Race Like No Other" by Liz Robbins. About the 2007 NYC Marathon.

"Smart Kids, Bad Schools" by Brian Cosby. Suggests changes to the education system.

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami. A memoir by a runner.

"Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer. Looking for changes to my running technique.

"The Trouble With Boys" by Peg Tyre. Again, suggests changes in the school system.

I also got part of the way through "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson, but it was only a 2 week loan from the library, so I had to return it. I'll pick up a copy in the next week or so, put it back in the queue, and finish it by early December.

Post Thanks / Like

I also read quickly and alot. I recently finished Sherri's Naughty or Nice and Janet Evanovich's Foul Play and Naughty Neighbor. I'm in the middle of JD Robb's Suite 606. Still on my reading list are JD Robb's Three In Death and Salvation in Death and Janet Evanovich's Wife for Hire. Whenever I can finally score it from the local library, I'm going to read Janet Evanovich's Fearless Fourteen. On Nov 25, Nora Robert's The Pagan Stone will be available so I'll be getting that as well. And all this still won't carry me through the entire month!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Rabbitt View Post
    I've just started Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. Recently, I finished The Pact, also by Picoult. I love her books and her style of writing, and most of all, her endings!!
    Jodi Piccoult is one of my favorite authors. My favorites of hers are My Sister's Keeper and Second Glance.
    laughter is timeless. imagination has no age. and dreams are forever.

Past Disney World Trips:
    2/97, 4/98, & 4/00 offsite
    7/06 Honeymoon @ CSR, 9/07 @ Pop with MNSSHP, 2/09 @ POR, 12/09 @ CBR with MVMCP, 1/11 @ CSR
    Next Trip:
    12/15 @ Pop! First trip with 2 little princesses!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reading American psycho...its violent at times but mostly a giant satirical look at 1980's-90's Yuppie culture. has anyone read this.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I'm reading "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham. It's just OK. I read "The Testament" by him and loved it, so I tried this. I guess what the salesperson at the book store said is true, "Some of his books are great, but some are just OK". I guess she was trying to warn me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: