Quantcast Gustav - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Gustav

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I am here...............

At my office on Generator and can you believe we have the internet.....

No power in the parish at all........ they are saying the weekend at best.
    sherrie and i are at the house with a generator. we have a window ac unit for at night. house is ok some damage but could be worse...... cant be on long to much to do......

later....................

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post
    I am here...............

At my office on Generator and can you believe we have the internet.....

No power in the parish at all........ they are saying the weekend at best.
    sherrie and i are at the house with a generator. we have a window ac unit for at night. house is ok some damage but could be worse...... cant be on long to much to do......

later....................

Glad things are not too bad....let's hope the others go away, far far away

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to hear from people and that it seems everyone is doing ok! Still keeping everyone in my prayers.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear everyone is ok and it sounds like the damage is minimal so far.
    Thanks for checking in.
    WesWerX șoș

"Laughter is America's most important export" - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone.
    I was wondering if anyone has heard from Jimmy (kajunking). I am pretty sure that he lives right where gustav hit Louisiana. I have not heard from anyone in the Houma area at all... HooBerry has not been on the boards either.

After the storm we had a lot of tree limbs down and quite a mess to deal with. With the lelp of some very close friends we were able to finish the clean up in 1 day. We are one of the few people in our area that actually trims our trees every year... yes, we pay lots of money to have them trimmed back by a tree company. Not just any tree company, a company that works to preserve old oaks. Since our oaks are very mature we know the dangers of them falling or dropping limbs on power lines. Well, yesterday when I left for work the tree trimming companies were out in full force cutting every tree near a power line. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found my tree gouged of all branches anywhere near a line... I do not mean hanging on a line... I mean a nice "C" shape cut out of the tree. And to make matters worse, they dropped all of the limbs in the yard and left them there. Now we have to spend another day cleaning our yard.
    All of this was done so they could restore power to our neighborhood though....

So tonight I finally got electricity! I was so excited we went out to dinner to celebrate. It was nice having a generator, but a fan blowing hot, humid, 90 degree air around is not always a good thing. It was so damp in here that my carpet started buckling... gross. My next major investment will be a window unit AC.

While I was at dinner, Beth sent me a picture text. I could tell it was a picture of empty shelves, but could not figure out what it was all about. I called her and she told me that they went and stood in line at Walmart to get a few things. After standing in line to get in the door that is what they walked into. It was not funny, but I could not stop laughing at her. When I tell you the shelves were empty, I mean EMPTY. I am sure she was able to find a can of potted meat or something.

Well. we survived another storm. We are very busy at the pharmacy with people having a hard time getting medications transferred. After Katrina a special 1 time charge was put in place for those in a bind. Nothing like that has been done for anyone yet. While I know that this hurricane is not as devistating, there are thousands of people that are still unable to go home. Those people need medications that are tied up in pharmacies that are closed and we can not get in touch with a lot of doctors. I feel so bad for these people. Most are middle income and running out of money fast.

This is not over. Many of our Intercot family still needs prayers. And, with these 2 new storms approaching.... who know what is next.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I am at work. I just received power late last night but no internet service. We are still having to be very conservative with water supply because the electricity to the sewage system is still down and they are worried about it backing up into houses. Hopefully it should be fixed today. Post again when I can.
    LORI

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Power power all around me but none for me yet.....l

last night all the streets around me came on but not mine.....

So still on generator....... to top it off we had a SWAT roll last night at 2 am.........

all fine but lost sleep................

Angel you said this was not as bad as Katrina but in turms of wind it is far worse....... more people have been affected by this than Katrina.... the power grid has far more damage than every before........

BRET/TTFN
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16

Post Thanks / Like

Angel you said this was not as bad as Katrina but in turms of wind it is far worse....... more people have been affected by this than Katrina.... the power grid has far more damage than every before........

You are so right. I was listening to the news tonight and heard that Beth will be without electricity for 14-21 days.

I spoke with her a little while ago... bad news
    Her mom got overheated and fell. She broke her arm and has to have surgery. Please say a prayer for MsMin... she is going through a lot right now.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    You are so right. I was listening to the news tonight and heard that Beth will be without electricity for 14-21 days.

Her mom got overheated and fell. She broke her arm and has to have surgery. Please say a prayer for MsMin... she is going through a lot right now.
    How awful for her and her mom. As if they don't have enough going on. I hope that she has a speedy recovery.
    I can't even imagine going without electric for 2 or 3 weeks. especially down there with the heat and humidity. I pray that everyone gets their lives back in order quickly. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers up here.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

I just spoke with MsMin. She is at her DD's tonight with her mother because her DD has a/c and power. They are cooling off and getting her mom hydrated again.

She's really tired of having to wait in line for everything like ice, gas for the generator, etc.

But she does say hello to everybody!

(And to Ike: Scram!)
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear about Beth's mom. We have our power for two days. I went to Super Walmart yesterday and the line was wrapped around outside of the building. I was able to find a locally owned grocery store that was much better to get a few things. My mom also fell yesterday and we spent the day at the hospital. I just made reservations for my mom to evacuate again for Ike but I am sitting this one out at home. Lets pray Ike goes away!!
    LORI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daparish View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about Beth's mom. We have our power for two days. I went to Super Walmart yesterday and the line was wrapped around outside of the building. I was able to find a locally owned grocery store that was much better to get a few things. My mom also fell yesterday and we spent the day at the hospital. I just made reservations for my mom to evacuate again for Ike but I am sitting this one out at home. Lets pray Ike goes away!!
    Sending lots of to both your moms! Hope things get better for you soon. To quote a radio host from many years ago in our area, "Let's all go down to 'the lake' and throw rocks at the hurricane!"....Take a hike, Ike!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sending truckloads of to y'all and while I wish no harm to our Texas friends, I am praying that Ike does not towards LA.
    I just got back from New Orleans this morning, a quickie weekend trip. We drove a group from Disney up to the Tampa/New Orleans game.
    New Orleans was so empty. People had only just started coming back a few days before and while things down on Bourbon Street seemed to be hopping, the rest of the city was fairly empty. Most businesses were closed. Very sad. I sure hope you guys don't get hit again!!!
    On the way back to Orlando we passed close to 50 buses headed up that way to assist with evacs. Lets hope this storm shifts its path and those buses aren't needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet822 View Post
    I just got back from New Orleans this morning, a quickie weekend trip. We drove a group from Disney up to the Tampa/New Orleans game.
    Jeanne I am so sorry I missed you.....
    I did not get off of work till 8:30 and was worn out...... I could not go anywhere.......

Now for a gripe........

The American Red Cross.........

In a disaster they are the one everyone gives money to. Why because they help people.... well I did not see the red cross much after Katrina... they did have a lady that keep making use fill out forms but that is all... they did give me a phone card.... folks we did not have phones or power for weeks what is a phone card going to do for me?????

Now gustav..... one week after and I have not seen the red cross...... they are just getting in to the parish next to us Plaquemines.... what took so long.... these people still dont have power and need meals..... more they need cold water...... now on the other hand the Salvation Army was here on tuesday the day after the storm...... guess what they had meals and cold water for folks that had nothing..... the fridges had to be cleand out so people had no food..... I just think folks need to know what is happening down here.... Baton rouge still has no power and plenty of other places dont also.... it could be 14 more days till everyone is back on line...... that also is if Ike does not come by for a visit..........
    ok I am done......

as for me I am ok I have power and am making repairs as we can... cant get cable phone or internet at the house but that is ok for now....... I just miss INTERCOT....

BRET/TTFN
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Hey, Bret ! Good to "see" you.

I know how miserable it was here during and after the trio of 'canes in 2004, but our damage locally was nowhere near what you all have been through over the last 3 years.

I know that the Red Cross has been overextended in the last couple of years, but there's really no excuse for them just now getting into Plaquemines. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like they've lost their original dedication to getting the job done quickly and efficiently. You mentioned them having you fill out forms repeatedly; sounds like the bureaucratic priorities have overtaken the humanitarian priorities. Hopefully more folks will donate their money, time and efforts to more locally-based efforts.

Again, I know you're swamped taking care of your communities, but don't forget to take some time to tend to yourselves!

And next trip to WDW.... the & are on me!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    Hey, Bret ! Good to "see" you.
    Hello to you too.......

Hopefully more folks will donate their money, time and efforts to more locally-based efforts.
    you know what..... I am not a big church person but the tuesday after the storm a church from mobile alabama drove down here and servered smoked chicken to anyone who came by....... no donations no nothin just to help....... what more could you ask for from people...... that is the kind of folks we need more of in this world........

And next trip to WDW.... the & are on me!
    thanks really thanks....... we are doing good and i even have internet at my house tonight.........

BRET/TTFN
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I just got a text from Beth... she has electricity!!!! Look for her to be posting soon.

Her mom is having surgery wednesday, so please send some prayers and pixie dust her way. She is the sweetest lady.

Now, about Bret's remark about the Red Cross...
    My father has forbidden me from donating money to them... ever, for any reason. He has been this way as long as I can remember.
    According to dad, when he was in the Air Force and they needed the red cross the most they ever got from them was a cup of coffee. No food, no clothes, no blankets... nothing but coffee. And then they acted like they should be thankful they got anything.

My father has always been a big supporter of any company that helps in times of need. But do not EVER say anything about the Red Cross in front of him, it really gets him going.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I did not get off of work till 8:30 and was worn out...... I could not go anywhere.......

Bret, I totally understand. Believe me. If I wasn't so tired from the drive up you'd have had a big yellow Mears bus parked in front of your house because I'd have driven up there
    We were beat, we napped a bit after we arrived then met up with a driver that used to work for Mears but now works for another company. Anyway
    I was in bed and asleep by 8:30 that night

Post Thanks / Like

I'm back and so happy to be part of the world again. Yes, even today the map said I was in the 14-21 day bracket and a small portion near me was getting power. They are bringing power to the businesses first but my house does back up to a small shopping center so maybe that's why we fell into that area?? I'm happy my sister doesn't have power yet.
    Officials say they have already removed over 9,000 trees and have reports of over 400 houses with trees on them. AS of today we still had two water treatment plants down so sewer has been backing up places. Worse than Stitch's chili cheese hot dog.
    My mom is still dizzy and her surgery for her right arm is scheduled for wed, she has a badly broken radius. Some of you may remember that she cut the tendon on her thumb on her left hand and is still recuperating with that so right now both hands have little functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    How awful for her and her mom. As if they don't have enough going on. I hope that she has a speedy recovery.
    I can't even imagine going without electric for 2 or 3 weeks. especially down there with the heat and humidity. I pray that everyone gets their lives back in order quickly. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers up here.
    thanks so much, I'm sure it helped get our power back 1-2wks before scheduled.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    Sending lots of to both your moms! Hope things get better for you soon. To quote a radio host from many years ago in our area, "Let's all go down to 'the lake' and throw rocks at the hurricane!"....Take a hike, Ike!
    Thank you, someone just sent me a Ike-go Ike-go away....

Now for a gripe........

The American Red Cross.........

In a disaster they are the one everyone gives money to. Why because they help people.... well I did not see the red cross much after Katrina... they did have a lady that keep making use fill out forms but that is all... they did give me a phone card.... folks we did not have phones or power for weeks what is a phone card going to do for me?????

Now gustav..... one week after and I have not seen the red cross...... they are just getting in to the parish next to us Plaquemines.... what took so long.... these people still dont have power and need meals..... more they need cold water...... now on the other hand the Salvation Army was here on tuesday the day after the storm...... guess what they had meals and cold water for folks that had nothing..... the fridges had to be cleand out so people had no food..... I just think folks need to know what is happening down here.... Baton rouge still has no power and plenty of other places dont also.... it could be 14 more days till everyone is back on line...... that also is if Ike does not come by for a visit..........
    ok I am done......

as for me I am ok I have power and am making repairs as we can... cant get cable phone or internet at the house but that is ok for now....... I just miss INTERCOT....
    I can't believe you got power before me and we haven't seen the red cross either.
    Hey guys, I just got a text from Beth... she has electricity!!!! Look for her to be posting soon.

Her mom is having surgery wednesday, so please send some prayers and pixie dust her way. She is the sweetest lady.

Now, about Bret's remark about the Red Cross...
    My father has forbidden me from donating money to them... ever, for any reason. He has been this way as long as I can remember.
    According to dad, when he was in the Air Force and they needed the red cross the most they ever got from them was a cup of coffee. No food, no clothes, no blankets... nothing but coffee. And then they acted like they should be thankful they got anything.

My father has always been a big supporter of any company that helps in times of need. But do not EVER say anything about the Red Cross in front of him, it really gets him going.
    Looking forward to coffee tomorrow
    I don't support the red cross either. When we lost our house in Camille they stopped with trucks of water but didn't give us any (no one did) they said they just came to look at the damage and left ) Won't forget here either....
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to see you back MsMin!

<you with your a/c!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: