Quantcast Wall-E (Now on DVD) - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    On a side note....

I can't believe Cars lost to Happy Feet....that movie was just too weird. I know it revolved around a current issue, but it just had a bizarre vibe to me.

Cars was a much better written, designed and executed film.

Obviously I loved Monster's Inc. much more than Shrek, but I think it was still a good movie.

Okay....sorry to hijack....
    The biggest problem I had with Happy Feet winning the Best Animated Feature Oscar was it's reliance on motion capture along with the other nominee in that year's category Monster House.

Happy Feet's director even went as far as to say this in an article from the Washington Post:

"I knew even the greatest animators in the world would take a lifetime to pull off the nuances of dancing that a gifted dancer is able to pull off," says "Happy Feet" director George Miller

Hmm... I don't seem to remember that Frank Thomas had any problem animating penguins (ironically) that could keep up with Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

Is Motion Capture today's equivalent of rotoscoping? I don't think that motion capture requires the same level of frame by frame manipulation (which is the academy's standard for defining animation).

AMPAS has lately used the Best Animated Feature as a weird category- if anything, last year there was a signficant snub by the academy against Persepolis probably because of it's subject matter (a girl coming to age amidst the Iranian revolution) and not considered for the best foreign language film category, but put into the animated feature category which came up against Ratatouille.

Like Wall-E, Persepolis was named to many critics list of top films of 2007 (but not as widely distributed as a film like Ratatouille).

Because it's not just animation professionals that vote in the best animated feature category there is still this bias towards seeing the category as being for kid's films.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The biggest problem I had with Happy Feet winning the Best Animated Feature Oscar was it's reliance on motion capture along with the other nominee in that year's category Monster House.
    I agree with both the above posts.

And Monster House didn't have a target audience that I could find.
    It was much too scary for the kids (and trying to be adult) And too dumbed down for the teens and adults.

I wanted to like it, but came away feeling like I had lost those hours of my life.

Cars is a true classic.

I loved WALL*E! It felt like time just flew by during that movie, and I wanted more when I was done.
    We had to go put in Hello Dolly after watching it too.
    May 2007 All Star Music
    Oct 2003 All Star Music
    May 2000 Old Key West
    June 1996 Dixie Landings
    May 1987 Offsite
    May 1982 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

The DW and I went and saw it this weekend. I loved it, second only to Nemo. The wife found it a bit heavy and preachy. from me!
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Wall E was disappointing. These films are made timeless by the dialogue and the rich characters. While I liked the way the robots were personified, where were the funny/quirky side characters like Luigi, Mr. Potato Head, Flo, Roz, Frozone, etc.?

(1) Incredibles
    (2) Nemo
    (3) Toy Story 2
    (4) Monsters Inc.
    (5) Cars
    (6) Toy Story 1
    (7) Ratatouille
    (8) Bugs Life
    (9) Wall E
    G

"Stay away from those they ain't nothin' but trouble"

1981 - Poly
    2004 - Beach Club
    2006 - Beach Club
    2007 - DLR - Grand Californian
    2008 - Beach Club
    Nov. 2009 - Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Im not really surprised with the mixed reviews. I still really enjoyed it but I was on the fence the first 20 minutes of the film. However by the end I adored WallE!! I was really worried for him towards the end - I even cried once - and it was such a relief when he was back to his old self!

Its also the kind of movie that seems to grow on you more and more after youve seen it.

To the PP - what about M.O. (the cleaning robot) and Hal (the cockroach)? I loved how no matter what happened to Hal he always bounced back. Funny and yet, sadly - true.
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I can't really see anything like Kung Fu Panda beating Wall-E this year. Wall-E was absolutely fantastic.
    A llama? He's supposed to be dead!

(starting last year...)
    Feb 08- 4 days at Saratoga Springs
    Apr 08- 6 days at Old Key West
    July 08- 10 days at Beach Club Villas
    Christmas 08- 6 days at Beach Club Villas
    April 09- 2 days at Universal Studios Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those of you who felt that Wall-E was a bit heavy-handed at times, but those are often the films that win. Many of the Academy's voting members NEED someone to hammer them over the head with the message. Think about some recent nominees/winners...

Spoilers ahead:

Crash-racism is bad. Did we need 2 and a half hours? We get it.

Million Dollar Baby-euthanasia/assisted suicide should be legal. Okay, we get it.

Juno-teen pregnancy is tough on many people. Or whatever. We get it.

Erin Brockovich-the environment is important. Aha! We get it. And I hope Wall-E does, too.

There's an astounding amount of buzz around Wall-E and "its Oscar competition!" It's kind of strange to hear Oscar buzz around the fourth of July, so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug The Disney Man View Post
    Crash-racism is bad. Did we need 2 and a half hours? We get it.

Million Dollar Baby-euthanasia/assisted suicide should be legal. Okay, we get it.

Juno-teen pregnancy is tough on many people. Or whatever. We get it.

Erin Brockovich-the environment is important. Aha! We get it. And I hope Wall-E does, too.

There's an astounding amount of buzz around Wall-E and "its Oscar competition!" It's kind of strange to hear Oscar buzz around the fourth of July, so who knows.
    Sorry, but not everyone "gets it" as you claim, otherwise we wouldn't have the problems we do in society. The themes in these movie are important, and IMO, well portrayed in most of the movies.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvzdesign View Post
    Cars is a true classic.
    This thread just proves how different our tastes can be. I thought "Cars" was by far Pixar's worst effort. I don't even think it comes remotely close to the other eight by any measure of quality. It's still a solid flick, but I thought it lacked much of Pixar's creative genius and aptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo Da Man! View Post
    Wall E was disappointing. These films are made timeless by the dialogue and the rich characters. While I liked the way the robots were personified, where were the funny/quirky side characters like Luigi, Mr. Potato Head, Flo, Roz, Frozone, etc.?

(1) Incredibles
    (2) Nemo
    (3) Toy Story 2
    (4) Monsters Inc.
    (5) Cars
    (6) Toy Story 1
    (7) Ratatouille
    (8) Bugs Life
    (9) Wall E
    The lack of dialog is one reason why "WALL-E" was so spectacular. It paid tribute to old silent films while telling a truly beautiful love story with adorable characters and arguably the greatest animation in a movie ever. I agree it's definitely a subtler brand of entertainment by Pixar, and it requires a little more effort by the viewer. I see how that would disappoint and rattle people.

And not like it's relevant, but if I had to rank the nine films:

1. Finding Nemo
    2. Ratatouille
    3. WALL-E
    4. Toy Story
    5. Toy Story 2
    6. Monsters, Inc.
    7. The Incredibles
    8. A Bug's Life
    9. Cars

Talk about different!

Quote Originally Posted by KineGirl View Post
    Im not really surprised with the mixed reviews.
    I am, honestly. But I was also surprised when "Ratatouille" came out last year and at least half of the posters here totally panned it. Interestingly, critics absolutely adored both movies, probably more than any Pixar film since "Toy Story 2." The reviews of "WALL-E" have been astronomically and overwhelmingly positive. It shows the utter disconnect between critics and the general public and why the Academy Awards are so often criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Sorry, but not everyone "gets it" as you claim, otherwise we wouldn't have the problems we do in society. The themes in these movie are important, and IMO, well portrayed in most of the movies.
    I agree, for the most part, but I really thought "Crash" was a major waste of time. I didn't think it was in the same ballpark as "Brokeback Mountain." I didn't even think it deserved a nomination, let alone the win. I was honestly a little surprised at how that particular film caught fire like it did. But I generally agree with your point.

As for "WALL-E's" chances at garnering a nomination? I don't see it. Not yet, at least. It's still only July. There are a whole slew of award movies coming out in the winter, and I'd be surprised if "WALL-E" is one of the five best, according to the Academy. We'll see.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I agree it's definitely a subtler brand of entertainment by Pixar, and it requires a little more effort by the viewer.
    To be honest, I have enough heaviness in my everyday life, and when I go to the movies with my kids, I want lighthearted, fun 'entertainment'. Wall-E didn't fit this bill.

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of dialog is one reason why "WALL-E" was so spectacular. It paid tribute to old silent films while telling a truly beautiful love story with adorable characters and arguably the greatest animation in a movie ever. I agree it's definitely a subtler brand of entertainment by Pixar, and it requires a little more effort by the viewer. I see how that would disappoint and rattle people. .
    The subtlety and the lack of dialogue is was got me so excited about WALL-E. I am an early shorts nut, and I think this movie is so old school Disney (exchanging slap stick humour for a meaningful environmental message aside).

And not like it's relevant, but if I had to rank the nine films....
    And because my opinion is soooooo important.....

1. Toy Story
    2. WALL-E
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. Incredibles
    5. Ratatouille
    6. Monster's Inc
    7. A Bug's Life
    8. Cars
    9. Finding Nemo

Again...talk about different!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    1. Toy Story
    2. WALL-E
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. Incredibles
    5. Ratatouille
    6. Monster's Inc
    7. A Bug's Life
    8. Cars
    9. Finding Nemo

Again...talk about different!
    "Finding Nemo" last? That sure is different! I don't think I've met anyone else who ranks it at the bottom. I know considerably more people who say it's their favorite animated movie ever! Why didn't it appeal to you? Again, totally not accusatory. Just genuine curiosity. I'm fascinated by how different opinions can be.

Post Thanks / Like

"Finding Nemo" last? That sure is different! I don't think I've met anyone else who ranks it at the bottom. I know considerably more people who say it's their favorite animated movie ever! Why didn't it appeal to you? Again, totally not accusatory. Just genuine curiosity. I'm fascinated by how different opinions can be.
    Honestly, many of the characters annoyed me. Marlin is so negative (I know he was supposed to be), Dory is too over the top and the Turtle talk (although clever) grates a bit, Dude. That said -- I loved Gill and Nigel and Bruce -- and often use the "Mine! Mine! Mine!" of the seagulls. It was still a good movie, but of the 9 listed above, it is my least favourite, and the only one we do not own.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, many of the characters annoyed me. Marlin is so negative (I know he was supposed to be), Dory is too over the top and the Turtle talk (although clever) grates a bit, Dude. That said -- I loved Gill and Nigel and Bruce -- and often use the "Mine! Mine! Mine!" of the seagulls. It was still a good movie, but of the 9 listed above, it is my least favourite, and the only one we do not own.
    That's fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been interesting to see how different the opinions are with Pixar films. I've enjoyed them all. Here's my order of prefernce...

1. Toy Story
    2. WALL-E
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. Monster's Inc
    5. Ratatouille
    6. The Incredibles
    7. Cars
    8. Finding Nemo
    9. A Bug's Life

Toy Story is my favorite animated movie of all time with Wall-E close behind.

Very good explanation. I feel they over developed some of the characters in Finding Nemo and went over the top . For me Dory is the one that stands out the most and borderlines on obnoxious. Since the character is in so many of the scenes it's hard to ignore and brings the movie down a level.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

i loved WALL-E. one of the best from pixar IMO. i know everyone has different tastes, but for me it was one of the most romantic movies i had seen in a long time. wall-e's love for Eve was very touching, made me quite teary-eyed
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I didn't read through all the thread...but,

I finally got to see Wall-E and I have to admit that I liked it quite a bit!

I was amazed at the character animation the way they used his binocular eyes to express emotion was simply incredible. Kudos to the animators! I found myself wrapped up emotionally with characters that not only were not human but didn't speak in any traditional way.

The love story was very charming.

Regarding the "Fat" humans, they are actually supposed to have never matured past a "baby" state. Having everything done for them forced a sort of reverse evolution. There is actually a word for it, but it alludes me right now.

Having been disappointed in Pixar's last release, Wall-E was a great treat!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got to see Wall-e last night. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as we ALL did.

Well done!

But as far as the fat humans...I felt that the loss of "bone mass" was due more to the "lack of exercise" rather than the "micro gravity". Where it's TRUE that the lack of gravity can cause loss of bone mass in astronauts...even today they've discovered that "exercise" can help that. I'm quite certian in the future they will improve on that still.

I think a lot of that was trying to introduce people to get exercise and have a little more face to face real person contact.

The whole movie was quite enjoyable. When we got home. The dog and I went for a walk. Maybe it was subliminal or something.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Just went to see this yesterday. The kids liked it but not as much as the other movies. I have to admit I felt the same way. I felt like I was waiting for the movie to get into full swing for a long time. I think I will probably like it more after I see it a couple more times but my first viewing was just a let down. I agree with another poster about there not being the cute or funny side characters that other movies have had. When it ended I thought "thats it".
    I'm glad that some of you really enjoyed it and maybe after another viewing I will too.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally got to see Wall-E last night. We had my son's 6th birthday party at the theater and had 10 kids ranging from 4-11 and they all seemed to love it. The majority of the kids were 6 year old boys, and I was amazed how much of the movie they really understood. It didn't bother them at all that there was a lack of dialogue.

Personally I LOVED it. I found myself completely engrossed in the story. I felt it was less about the environment and more about not just surviving but LIVING (both human and robot).

One thing nobody else has mentioned that I noticed. When Wall-E first walked into his home and was looking at all his treasures, I wanted to start singing "Look at this Stuff. Isn't it neat. Wouldn't you think my collections complete." From the Little Mermaid. The song came into my head every time they showed his home. LOL
    Denise Keeler
    Vacation Specialist
    Magical Journeys
    http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com
    The Magic begins with YOU!
    The Official Travel Agency of INTERCOT.com

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: