Quantcast New Theme Park

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Theme Park

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Theme Park

Its been rumored that a 5th park is in the works. A friend who works for WDW said its suppose to be a water park theme. The largest of its kind in the world. Thats all he knew. Has anybody heard anything like this anywhere?
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is a water park, it would not be the 5th theme park. It would be the 3rd water park (or 4th if you count River Country.)
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be at all surprised ... with Sea World bringing Aquatica online earlier this year, I'd actually be a little shocked if Disney didn't respond.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

You know, Aquatica really wasn't as great as they made it seem. It's essentially just another water park and not nearly as 'swimming with fish' as they made it seem in ads and flyers.

I was unimpressed. I'll take Blizzard Beach again any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised ... with Sea World bringing Aquatica online earlier this year, I'd actually be a little shocked if Disney didn't respond.
    Seriously, though, do they really need a whole new water park? They've already got 2 great water parks that could easily be tweaked to add more appeal and go against the supposed competition. A third water park has been rumored off and on for a few years, but I just can't see them doing it, nor do I see a good reason for them to have to do it.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Aquatica looks great. I see the park is themed to the southern Pacific and features Australian and New Zealand based mascots, something that Disney doesn't feature.

Post Thanks / Like

II'd actually be a little shocked if Disney didn't respond.
    1) Yep.
    2) Let's face it, Disney was shocked already.
    3) This makes the third time.
    4) So much for leading the field.

. . . they were caught off-guard when Universal announced the park.
    . . . they were caught off guard when Universal did City Walk.
    . . . they were caught off guard with Sea World Aquatica.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Yep.
    2) Let's face it, Disney was shocked already.
    3) This makes the third time.
    4) So much for leading the field.

. . . they were caught off-guard when Universal announced the park.
    . . . they were caught off guard when Universal did City Walk.
    . . . they were caught off guard with Sea World Aquatica.
    Ok...first of all, Disney is not going to be first at everything. Secondly, you're assuming there was no plan for Disney-MGM and they got it done that quickly? Granted, not completely the way it was planned. I remember walking through MGM the first year and say to DW, hey, that's a walker behind that wall!

Not leading the field?! That's like saying a marathon runner who has an hour lead isn't leading the field when his lead is 58 minutes! WDW has lapped the field more than once. Can more be done, sure, but come on....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is no longer the leader in theme parks. The company in general has become very reactive to the market.

But, maybe this is where the new monorail extension is going to! Probably put it on the same loop to the park in TX (or insert your state here).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    You know, Aquatica really wasn't as great as they made it seem. It's essentially just another water park and not nearly as 'swimming with fish' as they made it seem in ads and flyers.

I was unimpressed. I'll take Blizzard Beach again any day.
    You're one of the few who feels that way. The vast majority of the people I know who've visited Aquatica said it was a much better option than either of the Disney parks.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Seriously, though, do they really need a whole new water park? They've already got 2 great water parks that could easily be tweaked to add more appeal and go against the supposed competition. A third water park has been rumored off and on for a few years, but I just can't see them doing it, nor do I see a good reason for them to have to do it.
    Have you been to the water parks in the summer? Disney could add two more water parks and still reach capacity by noon!!! Granted, the water parks may not be so busy in the Orlando "winter months," but they sure are packed - if not downright jammed - all summer long - and I'm talking every single day.
    You're one of the few who feels that way. The vast majority of the people I know who've visited Aquatica said it was a much better option than either of the Disney parks.
    I've heard similar, Ian...
    I must agree with The Rusty Scupper, Disney does seem to be "reactive" rather than proactive in this area...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I say, forget another park. My vote goes for a Disney themed Nursing Home. Can't you just see it - Snow White dancing around, passing meds, and feeding pts.

I'll sign up!

(You know, Mickey and Minnie aren't getting any younger).
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Well they did just pour over a billion dollars into expanding DCA. I'm sure the improvement and expansion of an existing theme park which desperately needs it supersedes creating a third water park to compete with an area that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really draw that many guests away from WDW to begin with.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Well they did just pour over a billion dollars into expanding DCA. I'm sure the improvement and expansion of an existing theme park which desperately needs it supersedes creating a third water park to compete with an area that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really draw that many guests away from WDW to begin with.
    1) They had to pour in the bucks.
    2) Not many people were coming.
    3) Disney just built a cheap and poor park.
    4) They assumed that "if they build it, guests will come".
    5) It doesn't work that way, and there is other evidence.
    6) Other cheap-way-out examples
    . . . Disney-MGM Studios - only two rides at opening
    . . . California Adventure - what can I say
    . . . Disney Paris - will never make money
    . . . Disney Studios Paris - looks like quonset huts
    . . . Animal Kingdom - too few eateries, badly expressed concepts
    . . . Disney Hong Kong - small and cheap

NOTE: To Ogre (I mean Iger), when you build a park put enough money into it. Don't scrimp like they did with CA, AK, etc. As an example: AK lost attendance each of five years in a row - until the upturn in tourism - while other WDW parks were increasing in attendance.) And the people, government and investors are upset at how bad HK is, because they cant get to attendance & profit expectations.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Have you been to the water parks in the summer? Disney could add two more water parks and still reach capacity by noon!!! Granted, the water parks may not be so busy in the Orlando "winter months," but they sure are packed - if not downright jammed - all summer long - and I'm talking every single day.
    Even in the September and October months the water parks can get packed! It's no fun standing in a line for 20 minutes holding onto heavy inner tubes. A third water park would be a welcome addition. I could not imagine being in the water parks in the sweltering summer heat waiting 45 minutes for a 45-second ride down a slide.

Aside from a 3rd park, I'd be happy if they added some more ride capacity in each park. In general, I think both waterparks need rides that cater to young kids and families. More rides like teamboat springs and the toboggan racers that are good for timid adults and kids age 5+ (assuming they're good swimmers and meet the height requirements). Both my boys are small for their age and their little butts darn near fall through the innertubes on rides like runoff rapids...
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) They had to pour in the bucks.
    2) Not many people were coming.
    3) Disney just built a cheap and poor park.
    4) They assumed that "if they build it, guests will come".
    5) It doesn't work that way, and there is other evidence.
    6) Other cheap-way-out examples
    . . . Disney-MGM Studios - only two rides at opening
    . . . California Adventure - what can I say
    . . . Disney Paris - will never make money
    . . . Disney Studios Paris - looks like quonset huts
    . . . Animal Kingdom - too few eateries, badly expressed concepts
    . . . Disney Hong Kong - small and cheap

NOTE: To Ogre (I mean Iger), when you build a park put enough money into it. Don't scrimp like they did with CA, AK, etc. As an example: AK lost attendance each of five years in a row - until the upturn in tourism - while other WDW parks were increasing in attendance.) And the people, government and investors are upset at how bad HK is, because they cant get to attendance & profit expectations.

I have to agree with all your points above....and i COMPLETELY agree that they are reactive to a fault....

even when they do come up with a good concept....like Turtle talk.....they go to cloning instead of trying to develop other concepts.....

and that trend will continue.....

but I think Disney only innovated as long as they had too.....

they had to make it great to get people to Disneyland in the 50's and 60's....

and the spent all their time and money at WDW trying to develop a steady repeat customer clientele....

which they have done long ago....

the pink castle was the rough turning point....when the paint went on....25 years after the project started.....they clearly went from innovation and construction to "tweaking"...a steady stream of "minor" developments and additions/ subtractions of aging rides....

no real expansion....animal kingdom was almost ready and they didn't bother to finish there....

mgm was allowed to simply "exist"...they never made an attempt at building a strong customer committment to it.....

If you look....from 1997 on....disney has done little.....

the disney decade was over then....eisner also lost his job then.....unfortunately it took 8 more years to actually get rid of him.....

now it seems things have changed.....at somepoint they will get bored and build something large.....but they really haven't done a good job with their last 3 "big" undertakings....

and we all know that they are far more interested in increasing revenues than increasing visitors....a key change of philosophy that deviates from the innovative drive that existed in the halls of Disney.....

everything is a tweak......everest....midway mania.....dvc units.....new restaurants at downtown....

all just tweaks......

no new spaces being developed....nothing that brings a person to WDW and says...."wow....this is new"....

simply a walk along a familar path and maybe a "is that new thing by XXXX (existing ride, area, or park) open yet?"

that is a big change....a big sad change....because the people that feel it the most are us.....the dreamers.....

life and profits will continue to go on in florida.....i have no doubt.....

but i would just like someone to not crunch the revenue streams.....move the stock price to the role of a factor....not THE factor....

and slap a new land....a real land with all the classic components.....

on the side of MGM......and then one on AK....and then pour the time and bucks necessary to get an E-ticket up and running every 1 or 2 years instead of 4 or 5.....

and the old formula would still work....word would spread.....and a larger fanbase will begin to show....and show more often....

Post Thanks / Like

they really dont need another park, its already tough to get all 4 plus water parks during a one week vacation, they should expand and maintenance their current parks especially mgm, ak, and waterparks before building new parks, those parks all are all half day parks for me
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

We asume that when the Disney worker said it would be a water park theme that it would be a water park. It is possible the RUMOR could be something like the Tokyo DisneySea park.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up disney water park

Hello!!??? DisneySea! Doesn't anyone watch the Travel Channel specials... when I saw DisneySea, I immediately wanted that in FL!! How cool! It's innovative and it's successful in Tokyo.... a natural progression...nothing like it in the states.... and did you see the weddings on the water? and the bride and groom riding in the Gondolas after the wedding? It looked beautiful --- no -- stunning.... wish that was available when I got married.... tape the DisneySea epidsode if it ever comes on again... I vote YES!!
    cindymouse6
    OKW, BW, BC DVC owners
    Contemp. 8/78
    OKW 93,94,95
    BW 96, OKW 96
    Honeymoon OKW 5/97 x2weeks
    DCL 3/02, 12/04, 12/06
    +++Too many to count! 25 times since 1994!! and counting!

This year: OKW 7/08, BC & BW 12/08, BC 3/09, AKL 6/09

Post Thanks / Like

There is always a rumor of another park. They have plenty of space for more parks and more hotels. That is why Disney went to Florida in the first place because there they have the luxury of space. I forgot what show I was watching but the Imagineer said they have space for at more theme parks and more resorts. There was really nothing more said than that but even something as general as that statement will cause rumors to fly.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: