Quantcast Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?
    Hee! This is where I come in!

Character Attendant is sooooo much fun. I love getting to work at all 4 parks, and getting to work with different characters (FT CMs don't move- they are bid somewhere). It is such a wonderful role. I can't wait to pick up shifts this summer.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Mmmmmm. That brings up a good point. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what is offered.

I would think being a handler could be fun though because you get to talk to people while waiting around for the characters. I would really like to be friends with Eeyore. I know how important those visits are. It was top on our priority list when we visited Disney to see Pluto first thing then make sure we found him again before we left. My daughters trip depended on it.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

It really is. I remember the first time I worked with Alice and Mad Hatter. I had so much fun with them!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, time is flying! I don't know if there will be enough time. We are picking up the truck on the 19th and that isn't feeling like nearly enough time. The pressure is making sure we are down there by the 3rd. We were granted tickets to the Disney Chanel games concert in which the Jonas Brothers are performing. My daughter will be so excited! Can't miss that for-sure.

Do you guys know if the application ask for refereances? I am curious what info. I should go in with. Do they want personal ref. or business? I don't really have any business ones. My first job was as as drug store cashier and the drug store doesn't exsit any longer. My second job was at Pet Inc. in St. Louis which no longer exist. And my job for the last 13 years has been an assistant to my husband. Should I tell them I was employee of the month for the last 13 years?? Would it help to have a Disney CM as a referance? Over the years I've talked to a server who said I could use her as a referece. Do they ask if you were referered by someone?
    I have no idea which town we are going to be looking when we get there. We want to look for a house to rent because of the 2 dogs. Apt. won't be my first choice and I'd rather not be in a development with an association. We established a P.O. Box at the UPS in Windermere but that place seems like it is pretty high rent. I want to stay pretty close to Disney because of the kids.

So many questions.....so little time! Oye
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Ride greeter is part of routation. In fact it's at the start of rotation. It's not just attractions that CP's work in but other locations as well. And you will be surprised at how many older CM's there are working attractions. I'm sort of in the middle because I'm not at college age or someone who's retired to Florida to work PT for Disney. Instead I left NJ to work FT for Disney at an attraction, and I love it.
    So stop by where the server you know works and perhaps she'll have a casting scout card for you. they do ask for references and if you don't get an appointment get there early.
    My Mom and I got there not long after they opened and it was like 3 or 4 hours later we left as CMs'. Good luck in your quest.
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trackbarroness View Post
    Ride greeter is part of routation. In fact it's at the start of rotation. It's not just attractions that CP's work in but other locations as well. And you will be surprised at how many older CM's there are working attractions. I'm sort of in the middle because I'm not at college age or someone who's retired to Florida to work PT for Disney. Instead I left NJ to work FT for Disney at an attraction, and I love it.
    So stop by where the server you know works and perhaps she'll have a casting scout card for you. they do ask for references and if you don't get an appointment get there early.
    My Mom and I got there not long after they opened and it was like 3 or 4 hours later we left as CMs'. Good luck in your quest.
    Thanks! What is a casting scout card? I don't want to impose on her but if she will get credit for refering me then that would be great. So you're mom works there too? That is too cool. I plan to go to the casting center a day or so after we get in town. Once I know I've been hired we can look for a house to rent. Hopefully they give me a couple of days before I have to start.
    I'm so thankful that all of you have taken time to give me this information. I'm really glad that I haven't been bombarded with negative information. That would have really been a disappointment.
    Do they ask you what you expect to earn? I know salary is a sticky subject and I don't mean to offend anyone but I haven't been paid by the hour for many, many years. What do you think I should ask for as a fair starting pay? I don't want to under-cut myself but I also don't want to put a number out there that puts me out of the running either. Thanks again!!! Karyn
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

A Casting Scout card is more or less a reference card.

If hired and you stay past the 30 or so days, she can be eligible for an award.

I think based on what Disney tends to start at, I'd say asking for $7-8 would make sense. But they kinda didn't give me the chance to ask...otherwise I could have probably gotten a starting of $8 instead of $6.67.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks Jessica! I guess if I get asked I know what to ask for but if they don't ask me then I guess I I didn't have a choice anyway. Thanks again!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    A Casting Scout card is more or less a reference card.

If hired and you stay past the 30 or so days, she can be eligible for an award.

I think based on what Disney tends to start at, I'd say asking for $7-8 would make sense. But they kinda didn't give me the chance to ask...otherwise I could have probably gotten a starting of $8 instead of $6.67.
    Hi Jessica,
    I just sent you a PM. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Karyn
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember them asking about what you expect for starting pay. Most new hires start at the bottom of the scale for their job anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you expect. Some jobs start at a bit higher pay - bus drivers, for example, start at about $1.00 an hour higher than Attractions jobs.

Have some references handy. It doesn't matter whether they are CMs or not.

As far as starting work after you are hired, I guess we haven't explained that very well. You don't just go to your work location and check in. Disney is known for its well-trained and knowledgeable CMs, and you will be getting loads of training. It will probably be more than a week before you speak to a guest.

The first thing you will get is an appointment for Traditions, which is an all-day overview and orientation for new hires. Normally you will be scheduled for Traditions sometime in the two weeks after you are hired.

After Traditions most new hires are then scheduled for an area orientation for the park or resort you are assigned to. At Animal Kingdom it is called DAKlimations, and is a two-day park orientation. You will also be issued your first costumes during this orientation.

Finally, you will be given a date and time to meet a trainer from your work area. Usually you will meet your trainer in a location you are already familiar with, such as a cafeteria. Your trainer then takes you through every aspect of your job and introduces you to your managers and fellow CMs. He/she will also puts you through a lot of associated training such as safety, hazardous materials, how to treat guests with disabilities, etc. This training can take from several days to more than a week, depending on the job.

So you can expect the whole "getting started" process to take at least a couple of weeks. In most cases you can work with your scheduling manager to get enough time in between orientations and training days to take care of personal needs.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

I really enjoyed Traditions (probably one of the few who did) as well as my walking tour of MK, Once Upon a Time is Now. I loved it and I had lunch with my facilitator the other day and she asked me if I learned anything on the tour. I had to answer her honestly and tell her no, because I have such a passion for the job that I already knew all of the stuff they wanted us to know, and then some.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron. That is a relief. I want to get hired as soon as possible but I'd like some time to find a house to rent. I don't mind coming in a couple days during the week but can't do a full 40 hr week the first week I get hired.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed Traditions (probably one of the few who did) as well as my walking tour of MK, Once Upon a Time is Now. I loved it and I had lunch with my facilitator the other day and she asked me if I learned anything on the tour. I had to answer her honestly and tell her no, because I have such a passion for the job that I already knew all of the stuff they wanted us to know, and then some.
    Hopefully all of the information that I have learned on Intercot all these years will prepare me for that. Disney trivia just kind of sticks with you. Some people get it and some people just don't. We had a friend of ours go to Disney one time and they took their daughter who was about 8. They asked us what park they should go to if they were only going for one day and we told them to go to MK. Well, when they came back they said their daughter wasn't really all that interested in the park. The daughter even said it was boring. We couldn't believe it. Who goes to the MK and is bored? Our two kids were about the same age and LOVED Disney. To me, I just didn't understand why. So, a couple of years later I said let's plan a trip together and we will show you around all 4 of the parks and you will have a better time. We took them through kind of a whirl wind tour of all the best rides at all the parks. I'm not sure they ever really got it! But I figured out why the daughter didn't have any fun on their first trip. They would only take her to the small rides and didn't want to ride most of them themselves. We pressured the parents to ride with their daughter because they should take part in it rather than wait at the exit. They were there because of the daughter but didn't want to take part in the fun. I look at it totally different. If my kids want to ride it then I'm game. I want to see my kids having fun not just send them off to have fun. Of course it would be boring to the little girl if no one would ride with the her. They were more worried about getting wet on Splash Mtn. than having fun with their daughter. Some people just get it and some people don't. That is just sad.
    We have brought our kids to Disney from PA about 15 times over the years. Each time it feels more like home. We get it!! In fact, we've never even been to any other theme park in FL.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it too. I liked it a lot.

And I loved Once Upon a Time!! Hopefully I will be taking it again in May.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Great news!

Well, we've been here almost 3 weeks. Spent almost 2 of those weeks in a hotel. Finding a place to rent around here is a huge undertaking. We have been blessed with a place 5 minutes from MK CM parking. I can see the MK fireworks from my bedroom. I went to casting today and was hired on the spot. I will be working at MK in Tomorrowland Merchandising. Now I'll get to see more of Push and his girlfriend Stephanie!
    Capt. Jessica was kind enough to give me a scout card in which I used today! Thanks a million Jessica!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! What fantastic news! Very best wishes to you on your new job.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!! That is awsome!

Maybe I will see you when I come back down next week.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Man would I love to get a job at Disney World. However, I imagine a corporate level position is much more difficult to obtain and the number of applicants would be much greater.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Congratulations! I need to visit Casting and apply for either TS, Attractions or Entertainment.

Emporium has gotten really bad lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! I need to visit Casting and apply for either TS, Attractions or Entertainment.

Emporium has gotten really bad lately.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Cruises:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: