Quantcast Colorado springs vacation question?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colorado springs vacation question?

We are taking a trip there next summer and saw on the Garden of the Gods site they talk of a tour that tells about the rock formations and rattlesnakes. Are there rattlesnakes there?Also I am allergic to horses and wondered how close the trails for walking are from the ones with horses? I saw Manitou Springs and thought it would be cool to drink the spring water,is it safe? Thanks for any help in advance
    TRACEY

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we have rattlesnakes in Colorado. But it would be a pretty rare event to see one (as far I know my DH hasn't seen one since I've lived here, which is 10 years now, and he hikes quite a bit).

You'll have to get a trail map to see which trails are open to horses. I'm sure there will be some trails that are hiker-only.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone to Colorado Springs a few times for vacations and love it there. Manitou Springs is okay. My kids really like the cograil train. (no horses there) It is about 2 hours and the views are beautiful. Our favorite thing to do is go white water rafting...we did class 2-3 and my DD and DS thought it was wonderful!!!
    Have a great time!

Tracey
    trennedy

Go Cubs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that you mention rattlesnakes and the Garden of the Gods. We did some hiking there three years ago and we had only gone 1/4 mile on the Central Gardens trail loop when one (a small one) slithered across our path. It really just seemed intent on getting where it wanted to go, but the soft rattle did unnerve my husband (he has a thing about snakes--like Indiana Jones!) As long as people stay on the trails, I highly doubt there would be any problem, as they like to hang out in the underbrush and around rocks off the trails. If you do come across one, just stay a safe distance away.

As far as horses, we didn't see any on the trails we hiked, but my understanding is that all of the non-paved trails in the park are multi-use, with the exception of a couple of trails that are off-limit to bikes. I'm sure you can ask at the visitor center which trails are more likely to be used for horseback riding, so as to avoid horses as much as possible. Also the Central Garden Loop (most of which is paved) is open only for foot traffic, and you can see a lot of pretty scenery from it.

We also visited Manitou Springs and while they say that the water is clean enough to drink from it, we didn't try it. The town itself is very picturesque, with lots of little shops, art galleries and restaurants. Taking the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak was a highlight for us--we saw marmots and bighorn sheep and of course the view was amazing!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We are heading to Colorado Springs in July! Does anyone have any info on Cheyenne Mountain Resort? I have 2 ressies in place for both Cheyenne Mountain Resort and the Broadmoor. I have to settle on one. I didn't consider Rattlesnakes....that sounds awful!!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to Cheyenne Mtn Resort, but I can tell you the Broadmoor is absolutely beautiful. That whole area in the Springs is beautiful and you'll have a great time!
    Andrea

Dec. '96- All Star Sports

May '98- Caribbean Beach Resort
    Dec. '98- All Star Sports
    Jan. '00- Off Site
    Dec. '01- All Star Sports
    Dec. '03- All Star Sports
    Jan. '05- Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. '06- Pop Century
    Aug. '06- All Star Movies
    Next Trip: Jan. '09- Running the half marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Not helpful with the snakes, but I went to the Garden of the Gods about 10 years ago --- and they call it that for a reason. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been!!! Enjoy it. I am jealous!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: