Quantcast Rookie mistakes - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rookie mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Two side questions were posed along the way, one about favorite guidebooks. Passporter is excellent and has many tips you don't see in others. IMHO its the best, by far.

The second question was about where to purchase water when driving from MCO to WDW. There are grocery stores, including Wal-mart, along the way, but we always just stop at Walgreens near the DTD enrance to the parks because its a quicker stop. Our first trip we made the mistake of going to Goodings grocery store near there. They are extremely overpriced.

Another common mistake I see is guests that don't realize how chilly it gets in FL. Not sure when you're going, but the winter months down there can actually be pretty cold.

There are many good suggestions here, but some are kind of a matter of preference that you will figure out as you go and hopefully begin your own tradition of Disney trips. I guess we're more unique than I thought but we always rent a car, don't like afternoon naps and stay in the parks from morning until night.
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey 101 View Post

The second question was about where to purchase water when driving from MCO to WDW. There are grocery stores, including Wal-mart, along the way, but we always just stop at Walgreens near the DTD enrance to the parks because its a quicker stop. Our first trip we made the mistake of going to Goodings grocery store near there. They are extremely overpriced.

There are many good suggestions here, but some are kind of a matter of preference that you will figure out as you go and hopefully begin your own tradition of Disney trips. I guess we're more unique than I thought but we always rent a car, don't like afternoon naps and stay in the parks from morning until night.
    First of all, thanks for looking back and seeing my question about where to buy water. I thought people forgot about me!

I do think renting the car will pay some dividends. For instance, it seems like that might be the best option the two mornings we go from the Poly to the water parks.

I'm with you on staying all day! I'm sure my two boys will be as well. I just don't think DW and DB(2) will be up for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Our mistake was going to DTD in the morning & then spending the afternoon/evening at DHS knowing they had extra magic hours in the evening & assuming that all rides would be open during this time. We got to ride only 2 things. What a waste of a day!
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you go to the water parks. Our last two trips we went to both parks. Those are my favorite days. We get there early to get a good spot to hang out for the day. Especially if you have a group. But we don't try to do everything and we spend our day hanging out in the lazy river. And my girls love water so they got more excited about that and the pool at the hotel.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

For us the number one mistake most people make is not preparing their body and in particular their feet for what you are about to do!

Unless you are already an avid walker start a walking plan at least six months in advance of when you plan to leave for WDW. Start by doing what you can each day and gradually increasing to as many miles a day as you can make without your legs or feet falling off.

This also includes getting your shoes selected and broken in. You will kill your feet if you take a new pair to WDW with you. Instead, when you start your walking plan start breaking in your shoes that you plan on wearing in Florida.

The combination of these two things will assure you of a good vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll swim against the tide here and say do it all! Just kidding, but I only go during peak season (Spring Break and Schools out for the summer) so I have to plan well to make it work. I buy the Unofficial Guide, plan my days in detail, make my ADRs and follow the Unofficial guide's directions practically to the letter (at least in the morning.) My family laughed at me and called me park commando for one day, then realized they had a wonderful day and stopped teasing. They couldn't get over how many rides we went on and saw so many people waiting in long lines and disappointed without ADRS. We really did do nearly every ride, parade, show, desired restaurants etc. You don't have to be rigid or not smell the roses, but a good plan and an early start to your day can make the whole trip SO much more rewarding. Another against the grain thought: I hate the afternoon breaks!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Our rookie mistake was the first day of our first trip with the kids about 6 years ago. We made the mistake of thinking the Transportation Center was a central hub for transportation and assumed we could get back to our resort from there (silly me). After a long day at MK, we thought it would be cool to ride the Monorail to the TTC and then catch a bus to our resort from there. Of course, there was no bus to our resort from TTC, so we had to get back on the Monorail to go back to MK and catch a bus to the resort from there. It was a much later night than we had planned, but at least we got a couple monorail rides in the first day. I general, I think Disney does a great job with transportation, but they do a poor job documenting the process (probably because the schedules and routes are changing continuously). The only CM's I've found that are pretty knowledgable on tranportation are the ones that work the bus/boat/monorail stops themselves. There are all kinds of strategies for getting from A to B at Disney, particularly if you are staying at a place that includes monorail and boat service.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistakes

We had friends that went for the first time with no planning what so ever. Just showed up with tickets. That's the 1st mistake. We met up with them on their second day and asked what they've done. The first day the rode like 3 rides and second 2 and not because of crowds, but poor planning. They hung out with us for the rest of that day and we did like 5 rides and a parade. They were shocked. They didn't have any ADR, just thought you could get in. WRONG. Didn't see any shows and didn't know what the shows were. That's disappointing. Some of the shows, Fantasmic, Beauty and the beast, Lion King and the night time parade are my favorites and would hate to see someone not even know about them. Rookies! What can you do? LOL
    2000- All Star Movies-Buzz
    2003 -All Star Movies-Woody
    2004- All Star Movies-Dalmations
    2005- All Star Movies-Buzz
    2006-All Star Sports-Basketball
    2007-Carribean Beach
    2-14-08- All Star Movies Birthday
    2009-AS Movies
    2012 AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Take a photocopy of your park passes and keep that separate from the pass itself and even separate from the receipt. That way if you lose your pass you can get it replaced.
    Since you are renting a car, if you drive to a park, take a digital picture of your parking lot name, row etc. That way you can just look back through your camera and you'll be able to find your car.
    I signed up for the Winn Dixie customer card. We usually rent a car and we've gone there for the cases of water, juice soda etc and having that card saves even more money. And it doesn't cost anything to sign up for it.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys your tips will be invaluable. I will try and learn from your mistakes.

So I have bought the unofficial guide and found it a good resource and read.

my next dilemma though is deciding between one day at each park and 1 day at Seaworld or two days for MK/Epcot.

What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco8 View Post
    Thanks guys your tips will be invaluable. I will try and learn from your mistakes.

So I have bought the unofficial guide and found it a good resource and read.

my next dilemma though is deciding between one day at each park and 1 day at Seaworld or two days for MK/Epcot.

What would you do?
    Since it's your first time, I would go for two days at MK/Epcot. But you could always hit MK & Epcot early in your stay, and then decide if you want to spend more time there or go to Sea World.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring 2 pairs of shoes that have good arch support. That way if you start having problems with 1 pair you can switch out with the other.
    Bring the sunscreen to the parks with you so you can reapply it during the day
    Don't leave the parks when it starts to rain it's usually over pretty quick.
    only drinking soda and not water is the best way to dehydrate yourself.
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbooty View Post
    Trying to drive on our first day there. If you've never been before - it is soooo confusing to find your way around the "World". We were an hour late for our first dinner at Ohana, because we could'nt figure out how to get there. We got completely turned around and found ourselves actually leaving Disney headed to Orlando. And its not easy to turn around once you find you're going the wrong way. After that, we took Disney transport everywhere.
    Oh dear lord, we were planning on doing EXACTLY that. Help; what would you suggest? I have a streetwise orlando map and Think I have a grasp on navigating it, but.....
    DH is humoring the Disney nut. I really thought 2008 would be our only trip, YEAH!!!
    1985- off-site camping with my grandparents
    August 2008-Pop
    August 28-September 2, 2011 with the whole group @POP with free dining. DH, Me,DS (16), DS(15), DD(11)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeynminnie08 View Post
    Oh dear lord, we were planning on doing EXACTLY that. Help; what would you suggest? I have a streetwise orlando map and Think I have a grasp on navigating it, but.....
    Sounds like you'll do fine. The Orlando map includes WDW, right? In addition to your map, there are also helpful signs all over property as to where resorts/parks are and which exits to take.
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

Post Thanks / Like

We always seem to come home with more than we came with. Remember that when packing your luggage.
    Jim aka PrincessASquared's Daddy º0º

DVC Owners as of August 1, 2007 at SSR!!
    2007 SSR
    2008 SSR

2008 - SSR
    2009 POP/BC
    2009 SSR
    2010 POP/OKW

2010 OKW
    2011 POP/BWV

Upcoming Trips
    2011 OKW
    2012 POP/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistakes & what works

Mistakes I have made:

1-A Going barefoot at a water park - even water shoes don't work. I wear sandals now, with the most cushion I can find.

1-B Going to Epcot after a Water Park day. Way too much walking. We eat at our resort now, after a water park day.

2 Arriving at a park at the regular time on a morning EMH. In my defense, I had gotten sick overnight and apparently forgot how to tell time.

3. Photos/film - another multiple mistake. One trip I didn't bring enough film. I can easily expose 2 rolls a day. Bringing 3 is sort of like insurance. Another trip I apparently forgot what cameras are for and had exposed maybe two rolls for the entire 9 day trip. The third goof is not taking photos of things we'll want to remember/talk about later. Almost every meal, entrances to parks, etc. It's amazing what you will wish you had a photo of, once you're home.

4. Feet/shoes/training. Absolutely walk some before you go. The best visits were when I had been doing a couple miles at least 3 times a week for several months. Shoes/feet are a puzzle. One of my worst trips for feet/leg pain was when I had really good sneakers, that were broken in. Discovered later that they had too much support - I need more cushion for my high arch-high volume foot. Know thy feet.

5. Souvenir madness. You get home and wonder why in the ever loving blue eyed world you thought you were going to ever wear/use that [fill in the blank]. When in a shop- take a deep breath and step away from the souvenir.

6. Thinking we could get to [fill in the blank with Disney World destination] in our vehicle. We always get lost. Even tho it takes more time, we use Disney transportation. We often wind up having a lot of fun chatting with our fellow passengers. And after Epcot, we can just be zombies without worrying about wrecking the car.

7. Not bringing hat, scarf, gloves during winter visits. It can get very cold - shivering I'll never warm up again cold.

Things that work for us even tho we've had to try some other thing to reinforce the lesson yet again.

1. Be at rope drop in the morning.

2. We really like doing Magic Kingdom, or Animal Kingdom or the Studios in the morning, swim/rest/whatever at our resort in the afternoon and tour Epcot (a Future World pavilion and a couple of countries) in the evening. One good thing about this is that Epcot is so large it can absorb a lot of crowd before it feels crowded.

3. If you don't really need that fanny pack/backpack and can stuff your pockets with your gum, bandaids, tylenol, sunscreen, camera film you don't have to wait in line at the bag check before the park turnstiles. Actually, if you're doing the mid-day break, you can probably do fine with you gum & film and small camera. Carry your water bottle.

4. When closing a park in the evening, we sit on a bench and wait til the line for the bus for the resort is almost gone. Doesn't take that long and we can sit on the bus. Or we shop while waiting but then you need to practice stepping away from the souvenir.

Question about Seaworld. Personally I'd skip Seaworld and do all Disney but that's mostly because I prefer Seaworld San Diego over Florida's. Reason is that San Diego is more compact, easier to see more stuff in one day and it seemed like the shows were better timed.

It's your first Disney World visit and very likely not your last. Stick with Disney this trip, figure out what your favorites are, and then next trip, plan a Seaworld day.

Most of all - relax and enjoy!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Mickeynminnie08, we drove last year for our first trip. Once we pulled into the resort, we really didn't want to drive any more. In fact, we breathed a sigh of relief.

But, since this was our first trip, I had decided that before we did the parks, we would ride the monorail and get the "feel" of the World. Instead of taking a bus to Epcot or MK to board the monorail, we drove to the CR and boarded the monorail there. (We had our first "magical moment" there, but that story has been posted elsewhere.) After we completed our three hour tour by monorail, we drove back to our resort.

And that was the last time we drove the car until the day we pulled out. We found driving there to be confusing (we were using a GPS, no less).

Riding the busses was part of the Disney magic for us -- talking with people, enjoying the scenery, not having to be responsible drivers when we were tired, getting dropped off close to the park entrances.

Since you don't have small children and strollers to tote around, you really might just want to park the car and the use the Disney Transportation.

There's no question in my mind as to what we'll do if we ever go again.

Deb
    POFQ, Oct. 2007
    praying / hoping / wishing / dreaming for April 2009 or 2010

Post Thanks / Like

i think the biggest rookie mistake is overplanning. it kills me to see people post their plans/itineraries here and they're planned almost to the minute. big mistake!! the bottom line is, vacations never go to plan. the minute you get to the parks any and all plans go out the window. the best thing to do is set a very loose set of things to do for the entire trip, and then just wing it when you get there. ride broken? park hop and ride it another day. restaurant packed? grab a snack and eat there after the rush. go with the flow and you'll have a blast.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Iteachpc Guest

Default Rookie Mistakes...

Not getting a Dole Whip Float
    I second that!

Post Thanks / Like

Good comfy shoes #1 you will be walking A LOT !! If you are not used to walking I recommend start about a month before you go so, you don't end up with shin splints.

Drink plenty of water and make sure you have ADR's unless you plan to eat all counter service meals.

Take advantage of Photo Pass where you will have a lot of pics taken by Disney and you can purchase a cd at the end of the trip with pics of you and your dgf.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: