Quantcast Single parent trip tips....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single parent trip tips....

I am planning our first family trip to WDW.It will be myself, DD12, DS10, DD8, any advice from single parent trip takers would be great.

We will be staying on-site, I plan on spending 4 days at MK, 2at EPCOT and 2 at AK (just a bit of info.)
    DaisyGirl

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm a single mom, but not of 3... so I will help you as best I can.

Take breaks. Even though they are a bit older, take a midday break and let them swim, nap, or otherwise relax, and so that you can recoop. Also, there are activities at some of the hotels for kids, so that would give you some free time as well. It is hard as a single parent doing a trip and not getting a break (it doesn't matter if it is Disney World--I still enjoy my me time!).

I would also consider spending a day or two at DHS. I bet they would enjoy the shows and the rides there.

Bring snacks for the rooms--it gets expensive even with just me and my daughter when you are buying snacks and drinks and what not every day. Plus you can bring some with you into the parks and if they get hungry before a meal you have something for them.

Sit down with them and go over your days BEFORE you go (or at least the night before). Maybe let each kid in charge of a day, or have them alternate ride choices...something so that there is structure going into the parks each day. With 3 kids I imagine it can get crazy trying to choose what rides to do, shows to see, where to eat, etc.

Good luck! I am sure there are others that have more experience than me!
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help.
    DaisyGirl

Post Thanks / Like

Another single mom here! I concur: afternoon breaks at any age are super important: gives the kids a chance to blow off some steam, enjoy the pool, recharge batteries for the evening's events.

And I definitely recommend planning a day at DHS.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

DaisyGirl, last year an acquaintance took her two kids, age 6 and 8 to Disney World. I have several (long) tips from her trip and have sent them to you in a private message.

However, probably the two best tips from her trip are be at the parks about 15 to 20 minutes before they open. Usually plan to arrive at about 8:45.

The other main tip is to head back to your hotel for an afternoon swim or nap or some sort of break - with snacks!

I think to kids, the trip is not just about the attractions in the parks, but the whole experience, even - or maybe especially - the hotel. This makes the afternoon swim as special as the attractions in the parks.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Not single, but mother of three. Good advice by above posters. Most important, take the breaks, and allow for enough energy to catch buses and get back before everybody collapses. Get all the rest you can, and be OK with leaving things off the list if need be. May I add---comfortable shoes for everybody?.....
    And Welcome Aboard, by the way! Enjoy!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Not technically a single mom here either, but I have taken DS on several trips without DH.

It is a bit tiring, I'll tell you that much. And with three I can imagine that you'll be whooped if you do not take a break! It is nice to get away with the kids though and have no outside interference from family or friends, but you are totally on your own (which you know anyway!).

When DS and I go it alone, we usually do not get up at the crack of dawn and stay out until we can't stand up any longer, but we have done that before when we did commando trips.......it makes YOU crabby and also makes the kids crabby.....and it only takes two days to get like this, so you have to remember to pace yourself!

On our first day, since we are usually up really early for our flight, we do MGM (aka DHS) and that is a nice way to ease into vaca, plus we don't spend a ton of time there so we are usually back at the hotel and grab something to eat there and in bed around 9 pm so we can both get decent sleep.

We usually are out of the hotel between 8:30 and 9 am each day and altho we don't go back to our hotel for a break, we do sit and just chill in the parks for at least an hour somewhere quiet and eat our lunch or snack on a bench. IF DS wants to go swimming we do go back to the hotel, but he usually does not want to go back until later (an early evening for us).

Take your q's from the kids.....how are they handling all the stimulation and hours? If they look like they need a break, give them one....whether it be at the hotel or sit down for a meal in a cooler environment (a TS meal without characters).

Take your time and know that you won't see everything in one trip (but also know that Disney isn't going anywhere!! It'll be there is what I tell DS all the time!! And, we usually catch what we missed this trip==next trip).

Have fun!! That is most important!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Involve your children in your touring plan. Select 1 or 2 must-do/see attractions for each person (including you) in each park and plan your days around them. There's just enough difference in ages where what appeals to one may not appeal to the others. Everyone will do everything, but they will be assured that their favourites will be included.

Be sure to check out the minimum height for all of the rides first, in case your 8 year old is too short for an attraction. We travelled with a 9 year old who was 1/2" too short for RnRC (48" minimum height).

Helps to minimize the whining. *LOL*

I second the idea to include DHS. At the very least, Your DS probably will like Lights, Motors, Action and the Indiana Jones shows. And if any of you like thrill rides, ToT and RnRC are important.

And my faves--Beauty & the Beast and Voyage of the Little Mermaid shows!

I also agree with other posters about taking breaks. Even if you don't leave the parks, just chill occasionally for a few minutes. Even better, plan a swim break at your resort!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've been a single widowed Mom for a while now. And honestly the most difficult thing for me was to "take a break". I've only got ONE. But when you get me going I have a hard time "stopping".

It all depends on the personalities of your 3 are and their responsibility quotients. It becomes really difficult if you have one that refuses to ride roller coasters and the others are dying for it. Then you'll have to work something out perhaps somone taking turns to stick with that "one" then later everybody does something that "one" might like sorta thing.

The most important thing would be...as soon as you enter the park pick a SPECIFIC meeting place in case someone gets lost. (Do any of them have cell phones? Can they keep track of "walkie talkies"?)
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a single mom but I play one at disney
    I would suggest that each kid wear his/her own fanny/back pack, to carry water, disposable camera, snacks, poncho and spending money in. They will learn responsibility and feel "grownup"
    Let them help with the planning. Have them watch the video's and make a list of each of their "must do's"
    Let them decide where to have lunch -either draw straws on who gets to pick each day or have them look over the menus and decide as a group.
    The two oldest might want to go on aride that you or the youngest does not want to partake in. Let them have the freedom to go and meet you at a specific place when the ride is over.
    Example they might want to do space mountain and you and the little one want to do Buzz. Meet outside buzz by the fast pass machines. They will feel very grown up!
    Take breaks - even if you don't go back to the hotel- go see a show or sit down in AC and rest and have a drink.
    Remind them that you won't be able to do everything but with a plan everyone will get to do their Must sees.
    Have fun
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying Together

My big thing would be staying together, not wondering off etc..There is no way I would let my 12 and 10 go anywhere alone. It's just to big of a place. Also letting them know ahead of time, to be patient, their wil be lines, waits etc, but you will get to do and see everything. I noticed Hollywood Studios wasnt on your list. I think the kids would love a few rides there but mostly FANTASMIC show, in my opinion the best at Disney. Just an FYI for your planning!

Have Fun!
    2000- All Star Movies-Buzz
    2003 -All Star Movies-Woody
    2004- All Star Movies-Dalmations
    2005- All Star Movies-Buzz
    2006-All Star Sports-Basketball
    2007-Carribean Beach
    2-14-08- All Star Movies Birthday
    2009-AS Movies
    2012 AS Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: