Quantcast Has anyone ever paid for a car with...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever paid for a car with...

...a credit card?

Seriously, can this be done, assuming of course you have a high enough limit?

When DH returns from Iraq next year, he will need to buy a new car. We sold his car prior to him leaving (too expensive to keep it just sitting here not being driven). We will have the money saved up to pay for the car in cash, BUT I just realized that I could potentially charge it and rack up $$$ on our rewards card. That particular card has a $15K limit, and he is buying a car that will cost around that much. He is buying new, from a dealer.

Will a car dealer (Honda) let you pay with a credit card? We would, obviously, pay it off like the day that it posts to the credit card account.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not in Ohio. There's a law here that you can't finance debt with debt. Check with your dealer in your state. It may or may not be the same.

We wanted to do that with our down payment when we bought my car a couple years ago. We wanted to get the reward points and pay it off right away, but that was not allowed. It would have been a sweet reward though!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I did it last June..... Here in Louisiana..... Yep we got tons of Disney points.......

We also had the money but why not go ahead and CHARGE IT.........

We then went to Disney and used some of them..........

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

I used my Disney Visa to throw a couple thousand down on my car then paid it that night.
    If they will do it where you live just be sure it is going to be considered a credit card sale and not a cash advance. I found that out the hard way with making one of DD tuition payments.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

I know for a fact you can pay for a car with an American Express Card. I would just definitely call your card company and let them know what you are doing first. The points you will get are TOTALLY worth doing this!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I was able to put a $5000 down for a car on a credit card a few years back (for said car that we sold), but I also paid it back right away.

I just didn't know if you could put the WHOLE car amount on a credit card.

I appreciate the advice to call the card company and let them know...I imagine a $15,000 charge would set off some alarm bells with them...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    Not in Ohio. There's a law here that you can't finance debt with debt. Check with your dealer in your state. It may or may not be the same.

We wanted to do that with our down payment when we bought my car a couple years ago. We wanted to get the reward points and pay it off right away, but that was not allowed. It would have been a sweet reward though!
    Interesting that you say that. I'm in Ohio and I put the down payment on my minivan on my disney credit card in 06.

I think what you're thinking of is where you can't make car payments or mortgage payments with a credit card. Man the points I could rack up with mortgage payments!
    April 2000 -- ASMu
    November 2004 -- ASMo (First time with kids)
    September 2005 -- Pop
    September 2007 -- Pop
    January 2009 -- POR
    April 2012 -- POR (Cramming 6 people in one room)
    July 2014 -- Pop (12 days in Disney)

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the dealer won't let you do that as well. There is a "fee" for retailers using a credit card (something lile 2% of the transaction give or take) So, when you charge $100, the retailer only gets $98. With a car, that money is significant, and the dealership may not want to give that money up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    It could be the dealer won't let you do that as well. There is a "fee" for retailers using a credit card (something lile 2% of the transaction give or take) So, when you charge $100, the retailer only gets $98. With a car, that money is significant, and the dealership may not want to give that money up.

When we purchased our Jeep the dealer wouldn't do it for us. They wouldn't even let us use it for the down payment.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Jetta I put the down payment on my credit card. I think it depends on the dealership. Some dealerships would probably be willing to do it (or at least a down payment) on a credit card just to get the sale. Others probably won't do it for the reason DizneyRox suggested. I suggest talking to the salesperson or dealership that you want to deal through. The salesperson might be willing to push their finance people into doing it just so he can get the sale. But some places it's against the policy no matter what.

Some places might have a limit. If that's the case then I would go ahead and do the limit. Even if it's only $5,000 as opposed to $15,000....that's an extra $5,000 worth of points!
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
    Interesting that you say that. I'm in Ohio and I put the down payment on my minivan on my disney credit card in 06.

I think what you're thinking of is where you can't make car payments or mortgage payments with a credit card. Man the points I could rack up with mortgage payments!
    No, it was definitely for the down payment. The reason they gave was that in Ohio, you couldn't finance debt with debt. Now, it could be they just didn't want to have to deal with the merchant fees like DisneyRox said, in which case I wish they would have just told us so. I would have been fine with that. Working in the field of accounting, I can understand places not being able to take that kind of hit.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I know 2 lawyers who put her Lexus on the Amex & yes I mean the whole thing. They did it for the rewards and then paid the card right off
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We bought our DD a used Toyota for $5000 2 years ago and put it on our credit card with no problem at all.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I have never thought of doing this. I might have to check into this when we make our next big purchase. We just got a really nice digital camera with our AmEx points.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do it, just keep in mind that you may take a temporary hit to your credit score. Mainly because part of your score is determined by a ratio of actual debt to available debt and charging a car can significantly alter that ratio. I know that it will be paid off as soon as the charge hits, but if the day that the charge hits is the day the the credit agency is reviewing the account, then your credit score will be lowered.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I put the down payment on my Honda a couple of years ago on my credit card. I wanted to get the points so I could get my free flight....to go to Disney.

So you can in TN.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

If they won't let you use the actual card, you could check into getting a convenience check from your credit card. It works like a regular check from the car dealer's point of view, but then gets charged to your card. Just double check you get the same points, too.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    If they won't let you use the actual card, you could check into getting a convenience check from your credit card. It works like a regular check from the car dealer's point of view, but then gets charged to your card. Just double check you get the same points, too.
    With the Disney Visa you don't get any reward points if you use a convenience check. I get those checks every single month and we shred every last one.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I know a guy who bought his Porsche on his AMEX and then used the points he earned to get front row tickets to the Stones.

Pretty cool.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: