Quantcast Is this for real?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Is this for real?

Hey all,

Haven't posted here in a very, very long time. Sometimes the real world just gets in the way of virtual fun.

Anyway, we are working on planning our next trip to the World- YAY

At a New Years party, I was talking to someone that told me about a company called InRoom MD. I guess they provide a sort of travel health care concierge plan for around $35.

The gist I got was that if you get sick or hurt they provide in room "concierge" medical services. The lady I was speaking with also said that they can help with getting you through the triage waits in the FL hospital networks.

If it is real, I am on board. A few years ago DD hurt her leg over in UK at Epcot. We ended up taking her to the urgent care at around 10 pm and we were there until after 3 am to get a few stitches put in. I think we slept the entire next day in the end.

It sounds good and looks good from their web site, yet not too good to be true, if you know what I mean.

I guess I am just looking for anyone that might have used this company in the past that could share an opinion.

Thanks,
    J

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just skimmed the website. The concierge service is just that ... concierge service. A hotel concierge doesn't perform a requested service for you, but rather coordinates or enables that service.

It's the same with this company. A physician or dentist or chiropractor (depending on your need) will call you back. If you require in-room care, a house call, you will pay an additional $45 fee. And they wouldn't do anything like stitch a wound during that house call.

The service itself must be contracted at least 72 hours prior to your trip, and they charge a flat rate based on the length of your trip.

I can see where it might be worth it. It doesn't say that you wouldn't have to wait at an emergency room, just that the doc might be able to grease the skids and get you seen a little quicker. My wife does this all the time at home. She 's a pediatrician. There are times she can call the ER at one of the hospitals she's on staff at and ask them to see a baby that will be coming in soon, as a courtesy to her. It probably works the same for the InRoom MD folks.

They don't publish their fees for someone who wants to use the service but didn't sign up in advance. It's probably an arm and a leg, if not more.

I guess they make their money on the same premise that insurance companies make money ... that is, the fact that most of the people who pay the premium will never have a use for the service.

Interesting. We live in a resort area ... I'd like to see if my wife could moonlight doing this stuff, since the company is in many spots in the country.

Post Thanks / Like

WDW does have the name and numbers of local clinics and doctors who will come to you room. My DH got a stomach bug and the doc came to our room to check him out and then had a prescription delivered to the room the total cost was less than $100 and everything only took a couple of hours. The staff at the Cont. front desk could not have been nicer to us. Once we knew my DH would be ok the front desk checked on him to see if he needed anything, they gave my kids cards for the hotel game room. The doc even called the next morning to see how he was doing.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!
    Dolphin Jan 1994;
    Contemporary Wing June 2000;
    Off Site March 2003;
    All Star Sports Dec 2003;
    Grand Californian Dec 2004;
    Cont. Tower June 2005,
    Cont. Tower June 2006
    Cont. Tower Dec 2006
    Cont. Tower MK view June 2007
    Grand Californian Feb 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I got really sick during our trip in 1993 and needed a doctor. DH called the front desk and they gave us a number to call. I talked to a service who took down my symptoms and complaints and they called back 5 minutes later to say a dr was on his way. Within 15 minutes he was there, examined me and gave me a prescription and further instructions. DH took my prescription to the front desk where they called a local pharmacy, who delivered my meds about an hour later. All in all, it was a great experience and cost less than $100. I was up and able to enjoy WDW the next day!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Thanks and more info

So, I called the person that I had met at the party to get some more information. Here's the scoop as best as I can tell it.

She had bought the service policy for her trip to Vegas (not orlando) last year. She did not actually use the services as everyone was fine on her trip.

However, on a previous trip to Orlando, they had not bought the service. On that trip, her husband was having severe sinus pain. She had the number on a card so she called it.

The person on the phone connected her with a doctor by phone within 10 minutes. The doctor did a "triage" exam over the phone to determine if they needed to go to the hospital. After some Q&A the doctor decided that an in person consultation was the course of action and came to the hotel. He did his exam, wrote a script and had it filled.

I don't have the dollar numbers she paid- tough question to ask someone you don't know all that well- "so, how much did the doctor cost? what did he prescribe? do you have any other medical issues?"- it just felt like the line you don't cross was very nearby.

However, she did say that they signed up for the service on their Vegas trip as the cost was much, much lower for those that prepay.

Overall, she raved about them for quite a while.

I am going to check it out and may give it a try for our trip in June.

I will let you know what I think.

J
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 01-24-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Terms of Service

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: