Quantcast What Happened to All the Authenticity

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Happened to All the Authenticity

Hi,

We were in WDW back in August. We stayed at the Beach Club and because of the proximity to Epcot we ate there quite often.

My question is this. Where has all the authenticity gone at the World Showcase restaraunts?

We ate at the San Angel Inn and Alfredo's and even though the atmosphere in both places was authentic it ended right there.

The servers were the same type of servers you would encounter at any local Mexican or Italian restaraunt and the food and service was as well. I feel like in years past (I sound like my father here!) that everything about the restaraunts were authentic which lead to a feeling of actually being in another country.

I was very disappointed that other than the decor, the dining experience was what I would find here in Boston.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Jay

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called the Disney Dining Plan. In order to accomadate the plan the restaurant menus have been scaled back significantly to keep the cost down.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Alfredo's was very "authentic" when we went there, but granted I've never been to Italy, but it's what I thought authentic would have been. Now I have never liked San Angel Inn, since we went there is 2000. Nothing "authentic" Mexican about it, never has been. Le Cellier is not "authentic" Canadian, but again, it's an idea of what you think Canadian restaurants should be, they are all very americanized now, even inside Canada. Beyond that I can't say, haven't eaten in any of the other sit down places. I guess authentic is somewhat relative to your experience. We so far have had good experiences and if we don't, we don't go back. Thanks goodness I don't need to go to San Angel Inn, I live in New Mexico, can't get more authentic than that!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't eaten at Alfredo's but San Angel Inn has never seemed like authentic Mexican food to me. I LOVE the atmosphere inside but the food (IMO) is sub-par.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

The food at World Showcase restaurants has always been a little more generic than you might find in the actual countries to please a wider range of tastes, I think. But you can still find authenticity in speaking with CMs at the various pavilions. We had nice chats with several on our August trip, from Tuscany, from France, from China. The CMs are usually very friendly and willing to speak of their homelands.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The authenticity has always been in the CMs and I agree that its quite enjoyable to engage a few about how they got there and what their countries are like. Great part of the dining experience.

The food, for the most part, has been Americanized by adjusting to American tastes. That only makes sense since the audience you are selling to is mostly American. It does give a flavour of what the food is like but not totally authentic.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I've never found the restaurants in the various "nations" to be all that authentic, since they seem to appeal to a generic-y idea of the nation the restaurant is in. There are some restaurants that are really good (Le Cellier, the Udon restaurant in Japan, the Rose & Crown fish and chips) and one or two that feel authentic (the one in Morocco), but if you're looking for really GOOD restaurants, its probably (IMO) not the World Showcase.

That isn't to say that the food isn't good, though. When we go we sort of "eat through the world"...you know, picking up a little thing here ( in Mexico, in Germany, little pastries in France), etc. Thats really the best way to do it that I've found!!!
    ºoº...E. M....ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    It's called the Disney Dining Plan. In order to accomadate the plan the restaurant menus have been scaled back significantly to keep the cost down.
    1) Absolutely.
    2) Unfortunately, this won't be reversed.
    3) People don't care about authenticity and quality.
    4) They just want to pig-out.

5) And, DDP let's them do that.
    6) So, to make money within the reimbursement schedule
    . . . restaurants dumb-down the menu items
    . . . items become more standardized
    . . . the number of menu items gets reduced
    . . . increase the number of tables

NOTE: My friend is a chef at Epcot. They were part of a meeting that congratulated them on making changes in recipes to increase profits and were urged to do more - they wanted more under the 2008 DDP.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

From TheRustyScupper:
    3) People don't care about authenticity and quality.
    4) They just want to pig-out.

I totally agree. Just think of the popularity of all of those Chinese Buffets and all of the food on cruise ships. Then people wonder about their ever-expanding waistlines.

With the exception of dinner at the Crystal Palace, the best meals that I had on my last trip were at the resorts, with my facorite being Narcoossee's. None of them were in the WS. One disclaimer, the next time I'm going to give the restaurants in Morocco a try since I've never eaten there.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Besides keeping costs down, they also have had to adjust the items to be more common to accomodate the huge demand created by the DDP. I think the menus were too unique for the average family - they expected things more familiar, not necessarily authentic.

A lot of the charm has been diminished, don't you think?
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree, the charm and allure of the World Showcase restaraunts is gone.

When I ate at the San Angel Inn it felt like I was at the Border Cafe, here in Boston. The food and service that is, the atmosphere is top shelf.

And the food and service at Alfredo's was less authentic then I would get in Boston's North End.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Boston's North End

We have eaten at Five North Square, next to the Paul Revere house. Alfredo's couldn't come remotely close to the meal we had there. I will take Boston Dining any day of the week. We have sixteen weeks till our next trip. I am looking forward to all our dining experiences. We booked the Poly twice, Chef Mickey's twice, and we are starting our arrival date at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Can't wait.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the WS restaurants are that authentic. They have to represent the country of origion while also appealing to guests from all parts of the world. I think they are watered down some. Aukeshaus used to be authentic and it wasn't terribly popular until it became a Princess meal. I've heard English tourists say you'd get arrested for selling what they serve in the Rose and Crown. I can German food any day of the week here in Wisconsin. Do not get me started on the German Pavillion.

On another note, because you mentioned it., I've had better Italian food in Chelsea than in the North End...for 1/2 the price also.

Good thread topic.

Merry Christmas
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

The really sad thing when it comes to Italian and Chinese at WDW in general is that my local Pizzeria has far superior Italian food at a fraction of the cost and the dime a dozen Chinese Take out place has much better food and for what you pay for one meal at WDW you can eat for an entire week.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Default It has gone down some

BUT if you look at food just about everywhere in this country it has gone down some. As a pro chef I can tell you we can make it nice and make it a wonderful experience - but people still ask for comfort foods. Ex. I did a wine dinner the other day with a set menu - Osterich, Buffalo and venison - these menus were posted a long time ago so people knew what I was doing and the wines to go with them - you know of the 50 people 8 poeple asked for chicken that they did not like the choices ---screwed the culinary team all up having to stop and do that...people are and have gotten very Comfort Food oriented especially since 9/11...
    27 time visitor to WDW - 28 I hope soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default ... well???...

Authentic or not... I LOVE eating at the WS! So much to choose from, etc. Sure I have been to most of the actual countries and eaten there and no it's not all particularly authentic, but trust me you may not like the AUTHENTIC food from some of these places (trust me).

That being said (please stop yelling at me now), I just love hopping from country to country having different foods (authentic or not) and a beer in each place (usually authentic) and just relaxing. If I want authentic enchiladas, I'll go to Mexico. Otherwise San Angel it is!
    Cheers!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the atmosphere at WS, though I know most of it is because I let myself believe in it. I think my favorite is Germany, because I *can't* get German food anywhere where I live, good OR bad. Just not enough of a German population down here, though we do have one small German settlement. And I haven't been anywhere else in the world, so I have nothing to compare the other resturants too.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    Authentic or not... I LOVE eating at the WS! So much to choose from, etc. Sure I have been to most of the actual countries and eaten there and no it's not all particularly authentic, but trust me you may not like the AUTHENTIC food from some of these places (trust me).

That being said (please stop yelling at me now), I just love hopping from country to country having different foods (authentic or not) and a beer in each place (usually authentic) and just relaxing. If I want authentic enchiladas, I'll go to Mexico. Otherwise San Angel it is!
    Cheers!

D
    Well said! Afterall, we all go to WDW for the fun and atmosphere, and not for a lesson on authentic ethnic cuisine, right? Being exactly what it is, I find the food at the WS restaurants MUCH better than the rubber hot dogs and cheeseburger jerky found at 'other' parks...
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

well me and dw just got back from WDW and we ate at San Angel, and we thought that it was very authentic, from our waiter to our food, i mean the waiter or waitress has to speak some english, and when we've eaten at Italy pavillion, i'm able to speak fluent italian with the staff so to me it's very authentic, it has nothing to do with the DDP. we've been to WDW many times and only for the last 2 trips down have we eaten on the DDP, and it doesn't differ in any way. the DDP has and always wil get a bad rap.

P.S.
    the menu is the same if your on the DDP or not, the only time that it's different is if your doing a dinner package show. and last but not least, when i'm in WDW with my dw nothing else matters anyway , including the food!!

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post

...the menu is the same if your on the DDP or not, the only time that it's different is if your doing a dinner package show. and last but not least, when i'm in WDW with my dw nothing else matters anyway , including the food!!

Victor
    Yes, the choices are the same, but the menus overall have changed since the DDP began. They are less imaginative and have been trimmed to be "dumbed down" to appeal to a broader audience at the expense of some authenticity. This is the case for everyone, not just the DDP participants. I think that is the complaint by many...

I don't think the cast members are in question here.
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT