Quantcast Just Questions: Giving Thanks for Inquisitive Friends - Page 65

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1301
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    That must have been so hard! Brian's Gran used to buy me a box of Black Magic chocolates every year (I was her favourite grandchild -- even if by marriage). She passed away 3 years ago now, and I used to buy myself a box in comfort -- but honestly, they didn't get eaten, so I didn't buy any last year.... Know what? My brother and mother missed them, so I think I will have to get them again this year...... Brian's family never used "Christmas Crackers" at their dinners growing up -- but we always have -- so his brother became accustomed to wearing the horrid paper hat during dinner. Brian's brother and his wife come over for dinner on Christmas Eve, and I make sure to put the cracker's on the table for them. It makes him so happy -- and it has become part of "Christmas" for him. Traditions are what make Christmas so special for me..... When things happen that impact the traditions, it is very very upsetting. Should we do a cookie exchange?
    I've never heard of Black Magic chocolates. My grandma LOVED peeps.. so I'll buy myself peeps for my comfort and to remember her by.

I gotta ask - what are 'Christmas crackers'? And what's with the 'horrid paper hat'? Are those Canadian customs?

A cookie exchange is a good idea.. but do we think we could keep Alex and Scott away long enough to actually have any cookies to exchange?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydrmr View Post
    I gotta ask - what are 'Christmas crackers'? And what's with the 'horrid paper hat'? Are those Canadian customs?
    I think it is actually an English tradition (Mikki can correct me if I am mistaken). Crackers are tube shaped, and are typically wrapped in foil paper with frilly edges (picture a firecracker with tassles at each end). There are little cardboard "strings" that go through the inside from end to the other that "spark" or "crack" when the "cracker" is pulled apart (usually done with a partner, each one holding on to one side). Inside the cracker is a paper "Jughead" type hat, a little toy (like a keychain or a little deck of cards or a hair clip) and a little joke on a piece of paper. They are totally cheesy -- but they are really pretty on the table -- and fun (even if the paper hat gets your head really hot!). It wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Does that help?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

LEGO?
    I did get some of that for my construction firms..but this company actually molds the plastic so I wasn't sure..and a metal stamping plant isn't much easier I tell ya!
    That must have been so hard! When things happen that impact the traditions, it is very very upsetting. Should we do a cookie exchange?
    Do you know I even changed my perfume after this? (My brother had always given me the perfume each year as a gift either that or the bath stuff for it etc as he passed on before we all left home). I love the idea of a cookie exchange but the shipping would be crazy. Perhaps just a cookie receipe exchange?
    So, what's for your lunch?
    Ham & cheese on whole wheat. Exciting no?
    It wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Does that help?
    great explenation. We always have them as well. (mind you I do get the "prem" ones with the "cool toys" and we use them at New Years as well.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    I did get some of that for my construction firms..but this company actually molds the plastic so I wasn't sure..and a metal stamping plant isn't much easier I tell ya!
    What about Meccano?

They have the crackers for Thanksgiving too.... One year we bought them with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on them (from the TV Special) -- they were the biggest toy duds ever.... really really poor and they cost enough! Our favourites come from President's choice -- and it used to be my brother John's job to get them, but his girlfriend is a bit of a twit, so my sister and I have taken the responsibility back. Cheesy is fine, but cra$ is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Our favourites come from President's choice -- .
    Those are mine too! (however I have bought them at I think Bowrings or similar back in the days where I worked at King & Bay). Does anyone else have any silly traditions to share? Do you guys all do carrots for reindeer too?
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else have any silly traditions to share? Do you guys all do carrots for reindeer too?
    OF course!!! and sugar cookies and milk for the big guy (in his special Santa's Milk cup) ... WE also do a "table gift" after dinner on Christmas Day. Everyone brings a $10-15 anonymous gift to dinner. We draw numbers to see who gets first choice, then we all get a gift after dinner! Great things like calendars, coffee cups, I got an apple peeler once -- This year, we are giving a Charlie Brown Christmas tree and book (Hilarious!) and a miniature clock. The kids aren't involved with the draw... My mom just has a gift for each of them to open after dinner. It eliminates some of the let down.... Do you watch the Queen at noon?

Post Thanks / Like

Noon? We watch the Queen live at 3pm every year. Our paper crowns from the crackers may well have fallen apart by then but it is a lovely end to the Christmas meal.

Did any of you get any bargains this morning?
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is actually an English tradition (Mikki can correct me if I am mistaken). Crackers are tube shaped, and are typically wrapped in foil paper with frilly edges (picture a firecracker with tassles at each end). There are little cardboard "strings" that go through the inside from end to the other that "spark" or "crack" when the "cracker" is pulled apart (usually done with a partner, each one holding on to one side). Inside the cracker is a paper "Jughead" type hat, a little toy (like a keychain or a little deck of cards or a hair clip) and a little joke on a piece of paper. They are totally cheesy -- but they are really pretty on the table -- and fun (even if the paper hat gets your head really hot!). It wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Does that help?
    Wow! That helped a lot! Sounds neat! I was thinking they were real live 'crackers' as in the edible kind. Pretty cool sounding! Wonder if anyone in the States does that?

Stamping - that's easy! Just buy a whole bunch of ink pads and stamps. I think they even have 'coloring' books that are meant for stamping.

Does anyone else have any silly traditions to share? Do you guys all do carrots for reindeer too?
    Growing up we did the cookies and milk thing. We didn't really have any silly traditions. We also did St. Nicholas' day on Dec. 3 (or was it the 7th? Can't remember - been so long ago). We would leave our stockings hung by the fireplace and St Nicholas would come during the night and fill them with candy and little toys. Mom would slowly decorate the house over the course of the holiday season. Each day after school we'd rush around the house trying to find the newest decorations that she had set up. The only tradition dh and I have is I read the Nativity story in the Bible before we go to bed on Christmas eve. Since we have no kids there's not much sense in doing much more than that.

Do you watch the Queen at noon?
    No, but we always watch Disney's Christmas parade at 9am...

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    Noon? We watch the Queen live at 3pm every year. Our paper crowns from the crackers may well have fallen apart by then but it is a lovely end to the Christmas meal.
    What time do you eat your Christmas meal? What other neat traditions and things do you do in England?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, all! I decided to forego the stores today (see Di's post above re: why). I really do not like crowds and waiting in line (unless it's for PoTC or HM). So I did my shopping online. The Staples site was really slooooow and held me up forever. Today we probably will go to Staples though to buy another digital frame (thanks, Jym, for that tip) as they only allow you to buy one online. And I do have to go to Target to return something between now and Sunday. Help meeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by alpro2 View Post
    How much food did we eat yesterday?
    Not much at all really (compared to past years). The only thing we finished off was the stuffing. Loads of leftover turkey though, and I only made a small amount of mashed taters. Tonight I'll be having turkey but Ben wants "beef" (seriously, he said he "needed beef").

Does anyone think Christine will be shopping? Does post thanksgiving include coffee?
    Yes, indeed, it does. Would you like some Starbuck's Christmas Blend?

Could we go somewhere warm? Perhaps we could be a magic carpet? The Agraba market must have something and surely Genie could help us out with the shopping, cleaning etc? Who else sees this as a bonus?
    I second Agraba! I need a fancy Genie to help me out!!
    Now that's an idea! I love it when we put our heads together. I think a Genie is a wonderful idea! Let's just make sure that he's not from DDGS, okay?

If it makes you feel any better this year I convinced my boss to let me give my clients toys which I will be donating to our local toy drive. (I'm choosing a toy based on their industry and giving them pictures of them)
    I think that is one of the best ideas I've ever heard for business gifts!

Brian's family never used "Christmas Crackers" at their dinners growing up -- but we always have -- so his brother became accustomed to wearing the horrid paper hat during dinner. Brian's brother and his wife come over for dinner on Christmas Eve, and I make sure to put the cracker's on the table for them. It makes him so happy -- and it has become part of "Christmas" for him. Traditions are what make Christmas so special for me..... When things happen that impact the traditions, it is very very upsetting. Should we do a cookie exchange?
    I think I may be looking for Christmas Crackers for the two of us... I think it would be fun. It's hard to break traditions but fun to start new ones. And yes, how about a virtual cookie exchange?

Do you guys all do carrots for reindeer too?
    Cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer.

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post

Did any of you get any bargains this morning?
    We watch the Disney Christmas parade every year... does that count?

The best bargain I got this morning was a 2GB SD card for the digital frames I'm getting my mom and my cousin (Ben's godmother) for the holidays. I did put a lot of things in my cart and then a lot of removing things from my cart.

We're off to see Enchanted today. Later!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Do you watch the Queen at noon?
    About 50% of the time. No gift table thing though.

And Ellen I sure will take some Christmas blend is it out already?

Mikki I think the time diff impacts when we see it here in Canada.
    Does the cookie deal include fruitcake?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Hello, all! I decided to forego the stores today (see Di's post above re: why). I really do not like crowds and waiting in line (unless it's for PoTC or HM). So I did my shopping online. The Staples site was really slooooow and held me up forever. Today we probably will go to Staples though to buy another digital frame (thanks, Jym, for that tip) as they only allow you to buy one online. And I do have to go to Target to return something between now and Sunday. Help meeeeee!

Hi Ellen! Good luck at Target! Though the returns are usually at the front of the store and everyone else will be buying - so maybe it won't be that bad... maybe wait until Sunday AM when everyone else is at church.

Let me know how Enchanted is... I so want to see it... I know our finances are tight, but I might be able to convince dh to take me to a matinee showing of it.

Does the cookie deal include fruitcake?
    Um, I vote no. Does anyone REALLY eat fruitcake?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie

Post Thanks / Like

Me..and I'm real. Says so right on the label. I think. Hey Di maybe that's where you should get a part time job is at the movie theatre! Then you get discounts don't you?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ellen! Good luck at Target! Though the returns are usually at the front of the store and everyone else will be buying - so maybe it won't be that bad... maybe wait until Sunday AM when everyone else is at church.

Actually I was thinking of going to Target tonight after the movies OR Sunday morning early, early, early, and then go to the 10:40 viewing of Enchanted.

Me..and I'm real. Says so right on the label. I think. Hey Di maybe that's where you should get a part time job is at the movie theatre! Then you get discounts don't you?
    I've had a good fruitcake ... I just make sure that it contains "real" dried fruit and not that artificially colored green and red "candied fruit."

Di, I think Nat hit on a great idea for you! (Ain't she brilliant?)

Where is everyone else?
    Ellen

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I did think of working at the movie theater - BUT.. it would be mostly evenings I'd work and I would rather have days. I know that you can let family/friends in for free at one of our local theaters. I had a cousin who worked there and she let me and my dh in for free once when we went during one of her shifts. And some friends of ours had a son that worked there and we'd go with them and all four of us would get in free.

Anyone else wishing this day was over?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I was thinking of going to Target tonight after the movies OR Sunday morning early, early, early, and then go to the 10:40 viewing of Enchanted.

Di, I think Nat hit on a great idea for you! (Ain't she brilliant?)

Where is everyone else?
    Do you REALLY wanna go out to Target TONIGHT? Go when it's daylight... this is not a good time of year for women to go to stores alone at night.

Nat is brilliant! She has come up with some awesome ideas - but my problem is I'm just limited in days/hours I can work since I have a 40 hour a week job, plus two doggies that need care.

I think everyone else is still in their turkey comas, or out shopping. Ken is probably gassing up the RV for our new journey.
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie

Post Thanks / Like

Do you REALLY wanna go out to Target TONIGHT? Go when it's daylight... this is not a good time of year for women to go to stores alone at night.

Nat is brilliant! She has come up with some awesome ideas - but my problem is I'm just limited in days/hours I can work since I have a 40 hour a week job, plus two doggies that need care.

I think everyone else is still in their turkey comas, or out shopping. Ken is probably gassing up the RV for our new journey.
    So what hours are you really thinking since you already do work 40 hours? considering the time I'm headed off to target in the morning I'm sure it will still be pretty dark when I go too. (but I am taking DH with me).

Ellen would yours be in a mall or strip plaze type thing? Always wondered how the big box stores cope in a more urban setting.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

So what hours are you really thinking since you already do work 40 hours? considering the time I'm headed off to target in the morning I'm sure it will still be pretty dark when I go too. (but I am taking DH with me).

Ellen would yours be in a mall or strip plaze type thing? Always wondered how the big box stores cope in a more urban setting.
    The hours I could work would be Saturdays from 8am to 3:30.. and then Sundays anytime between 8am and 5pm. (I would rather not work in the morning so I can go to church.. but our finances really need the help so for a few months I will just have to do extra bible study and prayer on my own.)

I will not go to ANY of our stores when it's dark unless my dh is with me. Just not safe anymore. And this time of year just makes more more nervous. (and has been ever since our home was broken into a few Novembers ago while we were out Christmas shopping) Be careful when you go out! Make sure all packages are locked in your trunk! let your Dh approach your car first as you go back to it.

Does anyone else hear the leftover turkey calling out to them? And the green bean casserole? And the brocoli salad? And the pie?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie

Post Thanks / Like

It's a strip plaza kind of thing (in the same "complex" is a Staples, Old Navy, BJs, Home Depot, a steak place, Olive Garden, and Red Lobster) that was built maybe 2-3 years ago along one of our local highways. For us, it's on the way to JFK and depending on traffic it's anywhere from 20-45 minutes away. I have been told that the best time to go is early Sunday morning.

I will not go to ANY of our stores when it's dark unless my dh is with me. Just not safe anymore. And this time of year just makes more more nervous. (and has been ever since our home was broken into a few Novembers ago while we were out Christmas shopping) Be careful when you go out! Make sure all packages are locked in your trunk! let your Dh approach your car first as you go back to it.

Does anyone else hear the leftover turkey calling out to them? And the green bean casserole? And the brocoli salad? And the pie?
    I was robbed a few years ago at a K-Mart (in another mall/plaza closer to us). DH was standing right next to me. I'm normally so tired at night (or still working) that going out at night really doesn't usually figure into my plans.

Yes, the leftover turkey is calling out to me and I'll be talking back! Tonight's dinner is turkey, stuffing (Stove Top...the homemade stuff was finished off yesterday ), green beans, gravy (homemade... I'm still proud of myself for that) and our mini yams. Anyone want some?
    Ellen

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Could we go somewhere warm? Perhaps we could be a magic carpet? The Agraba market must have something and surely Genie could help us out with the shopping, cleaning etc? Who else sees this as a bonus?
    That sounds like a great place to go!!! But can we get the Genie to take all of us to WDW?

How about the Mall of America? I've heard you can spend days and days in there and never see the whole thing!
    Call me strange( yes, buddy, I know I am!!!) but I've been to the Mall of America and I really haven't been impressed. It's really too big and too expensive.

I couldn't do it. I hate crowds and noise -- so I don't think it would be a positive experience in my world!
    I'm the same way..I really hate fighting the crowds.

Should we do a cookie exchange?
    Sounds like a good idea!!! We were going to have one at work and everyone decided against it!!!

Does that help?
    Thanks for explaining that, Jenn. I've asked Gilles and he never gave me a very good answer.

Where's all the men been today? Out shopping?
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys! Just zooping in from Buffalo... I commandeered the computer from the munchkins who were playing Webkinz... I needed a little time to myself to check in and say hi!!

How was everyone's T'giving? Ours was nice -- I didn't get much sleep, but it didn't matter... I really wasn't that tired. Plus, a good turkey dinner, a little wine... I was out like a light last night and slept great!!

What's everyone been up to today? I actually went shopping... ... and didn't need a to get through the crowds!! I went about 9am for an hour or so and got a few things I was looking for... then my SIL and I went from 2:30-4:30 and got some more stuff... and we're thinking of heading out again while the kids watch "Ratatouille"!! Hers haven't seen it yet and mine love it, so they'll be enthralled... and we can run free!! (Although, I love it too, and am tempted to just sit tight and enjoy it w/ a glass of wine... )

Crackers are tube shaped, and are typically wrapped in foil paper with frilly edges (picture a firecracker with tassles at each end). It wouldn't be Christmas without them.
    I totally agree!! We do them every year... my girls love them!!

Absolutely - and cookies and milk for Santa, of course!! We read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' and the Nativity Story from the Bible on Christmas Eve w/ the girls before bed, and always make homemade clam chowder and some other old-fashioned munchies for after church... and my girls have "santa baskets" that we've put in their rooms since they were babies, and they have a DVD and a book, some gold chocolate coins and candy canes... and the girls look for them first thing every year!! They think it is so awesome that Santa comes up to their rooms...

WE also do a "table gift" after dinner on Christmas Day. Everyone brings a $10-15 anonymous gift to dinner. We draw numbers to see who gets first choice, then we all get a gift after dinner! Great things like calendars, coffee cups, I got an apple peeler once -- This year, we are giving a Charlie Brown Christmas tree and book (Hilarious!) and a miniature clock. The kids aren't involved with the draw... My mom just has a gift for each of them to open after dinner. It eliminates some of the let down....
    What a great idea!!

Would you like some Starbuck's Christmas Blend?

And yes, how about a virtual cookie exchange?

I had some Starbuck's, but it was this afternoon... just needed a pick-me-up!! Peppermint Mocha Latte... my favorite this time of year!!

I'd love to do a virtual cookie exchange...

... and we might go se Enchanted tomorrow!!

Yup!! I actually really enjoy it, although my friends (and Dan) think I'm crazy!!

I hope everyone's having a good night... Dan's out with a friend at the hockey game (the Sabres and the Leafs, in case you're all wondering...) and we're just relaxing... still not sure if we're headed to the store or waiting until tomorrow.

Hope you're all enjoying a relaxing night and start to your weekend!!

Zooping out...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: