Quantcast Disappointment with Soarin

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappointment with Soarin

So I'm sure I'm in the minority but I was slightly disappointed with Soarin.

The queue in my opinion is really poorly done. You stand on this long ramp (the 1st waiting area) sort of crammed together and watch people make shadow puppets on the wall - then a huge amount of people get to move on to another waiting area. Where you wait again - this area is sort of an industrial looking hallway with nothing to look at. Then you get past this waiting area to the 3rd waiting area which is where you line up to get on to the actual ride. All in all it took me 40 + minutes to get to this point where the wait time was posted at 30 minutes.

We did the baby swap, my husband got his pass and headed on - the only issue is he got to bypass the first waiting area but not the 2nd. So it took him almost 30 minutes to get done. So over an hour for both of us to a ride the ride.

The ride itself was wonderfully done, and the smells are incredible. I truly enjoyed the ride but for the wait we had it was over way to soon. Both my husband and I agree that we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you lucked out. I was able to get a fast pass, do Living with the Land, then walk right on to Soarin. I don't remember any any waiting chambers at all except for one.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have to agree

I have not been to the WDW Soarin yet but your description sounds just like the DL version. I have to agree with you that the queue on this ride could be better and much more interesting. Part of the great thing about Disney rides is that they actually set up their rides with great queue areas that "prep" you and pump you up for the ride. Soarin is a GREAT ride but I agree with you, the queue could use something more.
    17 days and 19 hours to go...woohoo!
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

The same problem occurs with Fast Pass. You're Fast Pass only entitles you to skip some of the preliminary waiting, but after that you get dumped into the general queue much too early. Not at all like other rides' Fast Pass systems, where you get right to the front. I think this is a real flaw and can easily be addressed by letting Fast Pass holders proceed to the last waiting area (right before you board). As it is now, you've got a minimum 30-minute wait time even with the Fast Pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetsdc View Post
    The same problem occurs with Fast Pass. You're Fast Pass only entitles you to skip some of the preliminary waiting, but after that you get dumped into the general queue much too early. Not at all like other rides' Fast Pass systems, where you get right to the front. I think this is a real flaw and can easily be addressed by letting Fast Pass holders proceed to the last waiting area (right before you board). As it is now, you've got a minimum 30-minute wait time even with the Fast Pass.

100% agree - that is the bigger issue with the baby swap for this ride. My husband ended up with the masses and waited 30 minutes from there.

On other rides when we have used fastpass we typically had a 10 to 15 minute wait. On Tower of Terror I walked right into the room. No waiting for in the lobby with everyone else.

And the queue is just so boring. Nothing to look at - we are getting ready to soar over CA - why is there nothing about CA in the queue? Or evey doing something with the history of flight?

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

The Soarin queue is definitely the most uninspired of any major ride at WDW, in my opinion. Our first time riding, we got fastpasses around 11am for 7pm! When we went back the fastpass line was quite long, and the standby line was 2 hours. It took us at least 40 mins to get on that ride, and we were in the back row with feet in our face. Needless to say it definitely colored our initial opinion of the ride. Once we got to ride front and center on a later trip, our opinion changed of course
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Overall, I was really disappointed in Soarin'. We went in December and did the baby swap but it took forever. When we went back in May, dh and my mom went on but I took a pass and hung out with ds and my dad instead. I don't forsee myself getting on this ride anytime in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree that the queue isnt the most exciting thing out there...and the wait times have not been too friendly either. i still feel like test track is the worst when it comes to wait times though...i cant imagine riding it without a fastpass.
    Visits Since 1991:
    Yacht Club x13
    Grand Floridian x4
    Offsite x6
    Coronado Springs x2
    Port Orleans x1
    Boardwalk x1
    Caribbean Beach x1
    Disney Vacation Club x1
    Tokyo Disneyland x2
    Disneyland California x2

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the waiting area is dull and unimaginative. I've done Soarin with a fastpass and also waiting (when it's 30 min or less only). I won't go on when the line is longer and there's no fast passes.

Too bad they didn't think to pipe some of the smells into the waiting area occasionally!
    "You can say it backwards, which is... DOCIOUSALIEXPIISTIC- FRAGILCALIRUPUS. - But that's going a bit too far, don't you think? - indubitably."
    -:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:--

* YC *WL *BC *BW *CB *Swan *Dolphin *GF *Poly* POFQ*

Post Thanks / Like

We always do Soarn with FastPass for the reasons you've talked about. The ride isn't worth a 70 minute wait, but 20 minutes or so is fine. Also agree, that they sure could work on the queue area to make it more interesting.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    It took us at least 40 mins to get on that ride, and we were in the back row with feet in our face.

Needless to say it definitely colored our initial opinion of the ride.

Once we got to ride front and center on a later trip, our opinion changed of course
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    ºoº WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    ºoº TDL 6-83, 9-91
    ºoº DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    Both my husband and I agree that we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

~Amanda
    Good luck with that. Just think....Peter Pan.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Good luck with that. Just think....Peter Pan.
    Ah but Peter Pan is nostalgia at it's best.

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it sounds like I am in the minority here. We love Soarin. Last week we waited in line once (40 min) and fast passed it the next. Have you all not played the games while waiting in the que? There are 5 games that they rotate through. We had a lot of fun playing them and it made the time pass a little faster.
    jen
    ASM Sept. 2009 for 20th Anniversary
    PORS Oct 2007
    PORS Oct 2005 with Aunt and Uncle
    AKL Oct 2004
    ASSp Oct 2003
    ASM Oct 2002
    Off Prop. Oct 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    ...we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

I agree %100. It is a very nice ride, but the wait is incredibly long.

Unless we get lucky catch a lull in the line, we won't ride it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinfamily5 View Post
    Wow, it sounds like I am in the minority here. We love Soarin. Last week we waited in line once (40 min) and fast passed it the next. Have you all not played the games while waiting in the que? There are 5 games that they rotate through. We had a lot of fun playing them and it made the time pass a little faster.
    Honestly I've never waited in standby, always fastpassed. Per my experience there are no "Games" in this line even though the wait can still be somewhat long.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I will agree with you that the queue line is awful - it would be nice to have something to look at during your wait. But this is my FAVORITE ride. I just love it!!! The wind, the smells.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I played one of the games in the first waiting area. But then you have the 2nd and 3rd waiting areas after that - which are completely uninteresting.

~Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

I really love Soarin' and think it worth the wait. I'm happy in any row, though I prefer the middle. We almost always fastpass it, because even though we find it worth the wait, we prefer to avoid long waits when possible.

Even so, standing in boring queues is never a problem for me at WDW. I'm with my family and it's nice to have the time to talk. Especially now that they're teens. I think we've had some of our best recent conversations waiting in lines together. Preferably air-conditioned queues when we're going in August.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Guess I'm in the minority, too. Soarin' is one of my favorite attractions in WDW.

I agree the waits can get a little crazy, but that's just because it's such a wonderful attraction that lots of people want to ride!

I do agree with the queue criticisms, though. They could have done so much more.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: