Quantcast Staying at POP--Use Bus or Drive?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying at POP--Use Bus or Drive?

My friends and I are staying at the POP Century December 18-21, and I had heard alot of complaints about waiting for the buses. Are there some parks that are better to drive to?
    We're hoping to pick up our tickets super-early our first day (like 6-6:30 am early--it's worked before at the Poly and CR) and head to Animal Kingdom for our first park of the trip. I figure since our rooms probably won't be ready, we'll just drive over there and wait and be one of the first in line for the park. But what about the other parks?
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at Pop 5 times in the last year and a half and never had a problem with the buses. The line for the buses at the end is usually long but I'm never in a hurry to get back to my room. The line does move quickly and can be avoided for the most part by lingering in the park and shopping or grabbing a snack before exiting. And even if you do leave with the crowds the line moves quickly and I never had to wait for more than 3 buses.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Depending where we are staying, we usually prefer to drive to the AK, EPCOT, and Disney Studios. If we are staying at BC/YC area, we'll usually walk or boat to EPCOT and DS. We have found it is almost always better to bus to MK, due to the way you park and then have to take the trams and monorail/boat to the park. But driving or busing is a personal preference. If you are staying on Disney property, parking at the theme parks is free (with a resort parking pass). Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

It all boils down to you and your parties "patience" for busses in general and if you can afford the extra $$ for a car. You "may" have to wait 20-30 minutes for the bus to arrive. If you really like park hopping...it's sort of a pain to have to go back to a hotel and catch another bus going to the park or your next choice. Unless you're doing the Magic Kingdom to Epcot thing then you can just catch the monorail.

This just isn't the POP it's ALL of them.

I've done both and I personally just like the freedom to drive so I can "Explore new worlds" outside of Disney. When I'm ready to go I'm ready NOW not 20 minutes from now...

Alas I have gone the bus route before and it's not "terrible". They do run pretty regularly.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Please correct me if I am wrong, but for morning EMH or early breakfasts, you cannot get to the parks (or at least MK) if you don't take a bus, correct? So if MK opens at 9:00 and I have an 8:15AM breakfast ADR, I'd HAVE to take a bus to actually get to MK... right?
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We never had a problem with the busses @ Pop but the DTD & Typhoon Lagoon Marketplace bus goes to all 3 in one stop. If I was to drive to any it would be that one. Otherwise the busses are much better than at the moderates.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed on resort property numerous times before, but it's always been at a monorail resort, so we use that and catch the bus to the other parks. Plus we're driving to WDW, so we'll already have the car at hand.

Guess we'll just play it by ear

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought, after all that driving, why not grab some breakfast at Pop and then catch the first bus to AK? You'll still be pretty much first in line, and it will give you some good decompression time after driving.

For us, after all that driving to get there, the last thing I want to do is get back in the van and drive to a park. We thoroughly enjoy leaving it parked for the duration of our stay and letting Disney shuttle us where we want to go. With the possible exception of Downtown like BugeyeMuggy mentioned. We've never had problems with huge waits.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

During our stay at POP it was all buses in regards to the resort and parks. I consider part of vacation not having to drive everywhere. The wait for the buses was never really all that long. I would highly recommend the buses.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Pluto View Post

Please correct me if I am wrong, but for morning EMH or early breakfasts, you cannot get to the parks (or at least MK) if you don't take a bus, correct? So if MK opens at 9:00 and I have an 8:15AM breakfast ADR, I'd HAVE to take a bus to actually get to MK... right?
    You can still drive to and park at the TTC, but you may be restricted to taking the resort monorail to MK. The ferry and MK express monorail were not operating when we went for the early KTTK tour. Just allow a few minutes extra and you'll be fine!

Post Thanks / Like

After our experience in September at Pop Century with the bus system, we have vowed to always drive. Up to this time we hadn't really had any problems with the bus transportation though, at different times of the year, it's just our personal decision. You could always try taking the bus and if you don't like it, drive the rest of the trip. The car will be there anyway! I just loved being able to go from our room at Pop Century to inside of MGM in under 5 minutes. That was so cool. And we could put our pictures we drew in the car so they wouldn't get messed up. Loved that.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yay for feedback! That's why I love Intercot so much

We're actually doing all our driving the day before our check-in (we're driving from Louisiana, a 12 hour drive) and staying the night before offsite to rest-up; it's a tradition my family has done for years, so I thought it would be good for us (it's a group of three college students, 22/23 years old).

I am thinking that when we get there early in the morning, unless we actually can get into our rooms that early (happened last July when we stayed at CR), we're going to want to explore the hotel a little since this is the first time for all of us staying at POP before we head out. The breakfast sounds like a good idea ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have to incur the expense of a rental and already have your car than drive. I am all for driving. This past September we went and I was quite irritated at the buses. Some days the buses were consistant others they were not. We stayed at CBR and leaving the parks at night was a nightmare unless you left an hour before park closing or stayed quite a bit after park closing. I actually witnessed one night the line at POP being so long they opened another line. I saw grown adults jumping the banisters and climbing over people with strollers, I was quite a riot. People were actually screaming. Our bus just simply was not consistant. We had 2 grown adults walk to the front of the line (where the wheelchairs were) and try to cut in front of a hundred people who by this time had been standing quite some time. There was a lady in line who flipped out (she was right) and started screaming and hollering. It was just so upsetting. This was twords the end of our 10 day vacation and can say this only happened a few nights and a few days but if the car is there pay the parking and avoid the mob. You may wait in line to park and get out but at least you will be in the comfort of your own vehicle. I have been trying to convince my husband to rent next time we go. It just is not worth the hassle and getting upset about stupid things, like waiting for a bus!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually ride the bus unless we need to get somewhere in a hurry, such as a dinner reservation. Sometimes the lines are a little long and you may have to wait a while, but when we're at WDW I try not to move the car from where I parked on day 1!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    but if the car is there pay the parking and avoid the mob
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe resort guests do not have to pay for parking. I just wanted to clear that up.

Otherwise - I don't have any experience with the resort busses.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep this in mind: The busses to and from Pop can get really crowded at the end of the night leaving from MK and EP particularly. It was pretty much a given that my DH and DSons weren't going to have a seat on the buss and had to stand all the way back to Pop. If you drive your own car, you will have to get to the car and out of the lot so you may not save time but it sure is nice to be able to sit down after a long day of walking!
    1979 First time!
    Then 1988,1989,1991...
    2004 (1st time with kids!)
    2007 (1st time onsite - Pop Century!)
    2008 Disneyland (We loved it too!)
    2010 Sheraton Vistana Villages
    2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek (Epcot View!)
    Next up: May 2013 Gram, Mom and Daughter Trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bucky at disney View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe resort guests do not have to pay for parking. I just wanted to clear that up.

Otherwise - I don't have any experience with the resort busses.
    you are correct. resort guests do not have to pay for parking...just keep the little sheet thingy on your dash!
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Goofy and Dopey agree on this one LOL. Bus is the way to go. We were down two years ago and drove, specifically so if we wanted to beeline for things we could. The car sat for a week without moving. The Pop buses are so convenient, it is the reason we stay there over even moderates.
    7/88 Off World
    10/04 Pop Century
    10/05 Pop Century and MNSSHP
    12/07 Pop Century and MVMCP
    09/09 Pop Century and Grand Gathering
    12/10 Pop Century
    09/11 Pop Century
    1/14 Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Deffinatly use the buses.
    i dont recall ever hearing of anyone having a problem with the buses at POP, but even if there are issues, by the time you've get out of the parking lot, and into a parking lot at the park, and then either ride a tram or walk to the entrance, you could have been there in the same amount of time.
    and then you have to factor in fighting crowds to get out and then finding another parking spot at the resort.
    not to mention the total amount of gas you would use by the end of the week !

so save yourself a tank of gas - & ride the bus (:
    The King and his men stole the Queen from her bed
    And bound her in her bones.
    The seas be ours and by the powers
    Where we will, we'll roam.
    Yo ho, haul together, hoist the colours high
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never shall we die!

"But why is the RUM gone !?! "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlaTinkRAMESAM View Post
    you are correct. resort guests do not have to pay for parking...just keep the little sheet thingy on your dash!
    If this is true this would be Great! Is the sheet something you get at the resort for parking? I definately have to bring this one up to my Husband. Thanks for the tip.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: