Quantcast Le Cellier in Review

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Le Cellier in Review

Le Cellier
    Tuesday, August 28, 6:40 pm

We check in to the very crowded welcome desk area about twenty minutes before our reservation. We are greeted with a sneer and the assurance that we will not be seated before our reservation time. Our inquiry to find out if there is a place to get a drink while we wait is greeted with a sneer and laughter. Wow, I’m feeling the friendly. O Canada! We take our buzzer and go explore the lovely waterfall out back.

About ten minutes after our initial reservation time, we are finally being shown to our seats. Our server, Sarah-Anne, pops up within minutes to ask what we want to drink and if we’re ready to order. We practically just sat down and we do need a few minutes, sorry Sarah-Anne. The DH and I order glasses of British Columbian cabernet (for him) and a merlot (for me) and iced tea, and the kids get soda. When I taste the wine, vile stuff, I am glad I got the iced tea back-up. The DH’s is no better. We scratch Canadian Wine Tours off our list of future things to do. (In retrospect, I probably should have gotten a pinot noir- that might have worked).

Sarah-Anne is back promptly to ask that we order our food. We’re not allowed to order appetizers first and think about entrees. Sarah-Anne smiles and asks us to order, order everything at once, and how about now? I understand that Le Cellier is in demand and try not to blame Sarah-Anne for the rush job. I know what I want anyway.

The DH delights Sarah-Anne by starting with her favorite, the Beefsteak Tomato Stack, with caramelized onions, marinated mozzarella, in vinaigrette. The tomato is nice but nothing special. I get the Shrimp Cocktail with wasabi slaw and horseradish chili sauce. It sounds excellent. I’ve seen it on INTERCOT, and I’m looking forward to it. But the shrimp turns out rubbery and the wasabi slaw is drenched in a milky mayo barely flavored with wasabi. Unfortunately, I’m unimpressed.

The DS and DD prove to be the smart ones in ordering the house specialty, the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. We all taste it and agree- the soup is the thing to get at Le Cellier. Yum.

For our entrée selection, three of four of us chose the irresistible (unless you don’t eat beef) Mushroom Filet Mignon, with Baby Bella wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce. And it is good. Our filets are all cooked perfectly and the risotto is very nice. It’s a good dish, but I’m starting to have stomach problems so I don’t eat as much of it as I would have liked.

The DD gets the Grilled Pork Chop, served with sauteed herb gnocchi, wilted rapini, and icewine apple butter. It’s also delicious, and a large portion.

Sarah-Anne checks on us frequently throughout the meal and while she is friendly, it’s the kind of friendly that feels forced. I can’t help but think she wants to rush us along. But I decide to not let it bother me and enjoy the meal.

Dessert is the Creme Brulee Sampler, Maple Creme Brulee with caramelized maple sugar and cinnamon whipped cream; vanilla bean creme brulee with caramelized maple sugar and vanilla whipped cream, for the DH and for me. I like it. He’s not happy with the maple. Too much maple for a man who isn’t a big maple fan. The DD gets the yummy and adorable Chocolate "Moose" and the DS gets the Campfire S'mores chocolate graham crackers and roasted marshmallows with vanilla ice cream. All good.

The food at Le Cellier is very good. Somehow it’s not as outstanding as I hoped, but it’s certainly very good food and I wouldn’t hesitate to return. The service on this particular night left a lot to be desired, but I think it was just one of those things.

On a scale of:
    -Highly Recommended: Must try
    -Recommended: A good one to try.
    -Not bad: You might give it a try.
    -Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

It’s Recommended: A good one to try—if only just to see for yourself what all the fuss is about. Do try the cheese soup.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another fine job at writing a review! You really should do this for a living! the food sounds yummy! Sorry the service was pushy and rushed...
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad at least the food is good. I have an ADR in jan. I'm excited. I want to try the ice wine maybe--anybody else has recommendations- drinkwise??

Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    Sorry your service was less than perfect. I hope you don't mind if I chime in. We ate there for lunch last Tuesday and the service we got was great. We had a crying 1 year old and the waitress was patient and helpful and had the pretzel bread on the table almost immediatly for the baby to chew on. She checked on us alot but we didn't feel rushed at all. Also they have just had some menu additons. I had a spicy chicken sausage with sweet poleta that was awesome. I wish I had taken a picture of the menu as I can't remeber the other changes. I believe the pork chop has changed as well. For us it was a perfect (aside from the crying) meal!

Cheers
    Sept 99 Caribbean Beach
    Sept 00 AS Music
    Sept 01 Wilderness Lodge-Our Wedding
    May 02 AS Movies
    Sept 03 AS Movies
    Sept 05 Pop
    Sept 07 Pop
    Sept 08 Pop
    Sept 09 SSR
    Dec 09 AKL KV
    Aug 10 AKL KV
    What is it about WDW that makes you want to go back the same day you get home?
    Proud Owners-DVC

Post Thanks / Like

This happens to be my favorite resturant. The last time we were able to get in, over a year ago since 90% of our travels are last minute, I noticed that the service was a bit "pushy". We also arrived early, as suggested by Disney dinning, and were told that we wouldn't be seated before the ADR or later. I replied that I understood that but had been told while making the ADR that we should arrive early to insure that we didn't loose our table. The hostess, with shortness in her voice, said that I was making that up.

Honestly I don't care what she thinks or if she thought that I was making it up. However, I just made some ADR's today and was told to arrive 10-15 minuted prior to the ADR (this was for OHana's not Le Cellier).

I truly blame all of this on the "meal" plan. I've talked to managers at several different resturants and they are feeling the pressure to turn tables. I think this is sad. I LOVE Le Cellier and haven't been able to eat there in over a year. That's sad too! I still remember being able to walk up and get a table.
    Karen

Childhood: 15+
    September 1997 ASMu/ GF
    May 2002: AS
    October 2003: AS
    April 2004: AKL
    October 2004: Pop
    December 2004: POFQ
    Jan 2005: AKL-just Dh and Me!
    Sept 27 2005: AS Sports
    Oct 15 2006: ASMv and MNSSHP
    Nov 1-5 2006
    Dec 9 2006: AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading your review! Sorry to hear your experience. We have lunch planned on our arrival day in Oct. I've been to LeCellier many times with mixed experiences. This will be PJ's first experience there. Not looking forward to the close dining quarters and really won't enjoy being rushed.
    Cher (aka TheSorcererofFantasia)

If you live each day to it's fullest you will never have regrets . . . there is no rewind.

4/15/55 - 4/7/08 Til we meet again
    2/25/87 - 4/27/11 Always & forever in my heart & soul BKB!

Next DVC Trip:
    AKL Jambo Kilamanjaro 1 bedroom Unit Sept 10th - 24th

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand what all the hype is about. Our food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Atmosphere is OK but again nothing out of the ordinary. I would go back again but it's not a must do for us.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Le Cellier is one of the few places in Walt Disney World I have no desire to try, despite the overwhelmingly favorable reviews.

My family has never enjoyed a meal at one of the World Showcase restaurants, and I can't imagine a Canadian steakhouse serving relatively basic fare would stop the trend.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Sorry your server was a little overzealous, but the Disney Dining Plan and the free dining promotion are popular evils.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention the bread- seems to be a trend with me in my reviews. The pretzel bread was really good. We only got four sticks and two were not pretzel but all of them were very good. I've heard of some people having rushed service and I've heard of wonderful service, so I do think it's up and down and just make sure you take your time and don't let servers rush you, within reason.

The restaurant had a warm, charming atmosphere that was hindered somewhat by too many tables placed too closely together-- but again, that's the issue of Le Cellier being so in demand.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! Everything sounds wonderful. I can't wait to eat there in December. 74 more days to go!
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I can't understand what all the hype is about. Our food was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Atmosphere is OK but again nothing out of the ordinary. I would go back again but it's not a must do for us.

The food is very ordinary at best. Was SBETigg
    on the dinning plan. Some servers act that
    why when they know its only going to be 18%
    and that is a shame

Post Thanks / Like

I was on the dining plan. I don't know if the plan is to fault for the service. I usually find that when we order alcohol with dinner, our service is pretty good. The server knows we'll be tipping above the 18 % because the alcohol requires a separate check. My impression of the server is that she's just not into the part of her job that requires her to make a personal connection, which is the case for a lot of servers who take the job as just a job, not as a profession.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Sarah-Anne checks on us frequently throughout the meal and while she is friendly, it’s the kind of friendly that feels forced. I can’t help but think she wants to rush us along. But I decide to not let it bother me and enjoy the meal.
    I have heard lots of people complain recently about rushed service at WDW recently. I believe the main problem is the supply of restaurants isn't meeting the demand of the DDP. I would also think with the gauranteed 18%gratuity as a server I would want to get as many people as possible through my tables so I make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I have eaten at Le Cellier pre-DDP and post DDP and I can definately say the food was much much better before the current inception of the DDP. The portions were bigger and cuts of meat seemed to be a much higher quality. Overall the meal was much more laid back and relaxing.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note on Canadian wine. It is actually very good, and especially Merlot. No less an authority than Master Sommellier Andrea Immer says that. If you get a vile wine, anywhere, then send it back because it means you got a corked bottle. Don't rule out an entire country's wine on one bad bottle. Also, generally, Ontario red wines are better than BC red wines, due to a more conducive environment in the Niagara region.

I agree completely that service is going down, and it is likely due to the DDP. People are just getting rushed off their feet everywhere and with the lineups it appears that there is a real pressure to turn tables over. I think it also affects food quality with pressure on the kitchens to get food out quickly.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I am really hoping to try this restaurant next year when we go to Disney. I've wanted to and have not had the chance. Would this place be ok for someone who is very picky (boyfriend)?? He loves steak and baked potatoes or fries. The rest of us would be ok here but will he??
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been to LeCellier once and it was 6 years ago but I remember not being overly impressed either. For all the hype I was expecting the best meal of my life, but it was just OK for me. And I didn't like the Cheddar Cheese soup at all. I like steak so I'd certainly give it a 2nd chance, but it's not a place that is a must-do for me.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I have heard lots of people complain recently about rushed service at WDW recently. I believe the main problem is the supply of restaurants isn't meeting the demand of the DDP. I would also think with the gauranteed 18%gratuity as a server I would want to get as many people as possible through my tables so I make more money.

I have eaten at Le Cellier pre-DDP and post DDP and I can definately say the food was much much better before the current inception of the DDP. The portions were bigger and cuts of meat seemed to be a much higher quality. Overall the meal was much more laid back and relaxing.

I will not say my source. But i have been
    told that DDP has affected almost all the
    1 credit resturants. Like 9 dragons, no more
    lambchops, no more duck for 2 ect..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Just a note on Canadian wine. It is actually very good, and especially Merlot. No less an authority than Master Sommellier Andrea Immer says that. If you get a vile wine, anywhere, then send it back because it means you got a corked bottle. Don't rule out an entire country's wine on one bad bottle. Also, generally, Ontario red wines are better than BC red wines, due to a more conducive environment in the Niagara region.
    No, I know my wine. It wasn't corked. I just didn't like it. The DH and I each had different wines and we didn't like either one of them. I never send back a wine for simply not appealing to me. There are several wines that Master Sommeliers may like and I don't. Wine is a taste experience and not everything will suit every taste.

You're right in that I can't rule out a whole region because of it-- I was being snarky for fun. Sorry to offend you.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SueQ View Post
    I am really hoping to try this restaurant next year when we go to Disney. I've wanted to and have not had the chance. Would this place be ok for someone who is very picky (boyfriend)?? He loves steak and baked potatoes or fries. The rest of us would be ok here but will he??
    Someone who loves steak and potatoes would probably be very happy at Le Cellier, yes. It's a good choice in that case.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anewvision View Post
    I will not say my source. But i have been
    told that DDP has affected almost all the
    1 credit resturants. Like 9 dragons, no more
    lambchops, no more duck for 2 ect..
    I have heard the same thing from several sources as well. It's simple economics to make the food more affordable with DDP corners have to be cut some place. I actually posted about in some detail exactly what was happening a while back after speaking with a restaurant manager.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: