Quantcast Disney Bans Smoking in Films

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Bans Smoking in Films

Disney-branded films to ban depictions of smoking

By Gina Keating
    Jul 25, 2007

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying tobacco use would be off-limits in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and "discouraged" in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.

Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger also said in a letter to U.S. Rep. Edward Markey, whose committee last month held hearings on the effects of movie images on children, that the studio would place anti-smoking public service announcements on DVDs of any future films that feature cigarette smoking.

He said the company would encourage theater owners to screen anti-smoking public service announcements, or PSAs, before such films.

Iger cautioned that "cigarette smoking is a unique problem and this PSA effort is not a precedent for any other issue."

Markey described Disney's commitment as "groundbreaking" and urged other studios to follow suit.

Dr. Cheryl Healton, president and CEO of the American Legacy Foundation, commended Disney's move but said the studio left "some ambiguity about what would happen in relation to Touchstone and Miramax."

Research cited by American Legacy, a nonprofit created from landmark litigation between the tobacco industry and states attorneys general, children with the highest exposure to smoking in movies were nearly three times more likely to start smoking.

Tobacco is featured in three-quarters of G, PG and PG-13 rated movies and 90 percent of R-rated movies, the studies showed.

Seth Oster, executive vice president of the Motion Picture Association of America, said the move to marginalize smoking in movies "very clearly demonstrates the film industry is committed to playing a role in reducing the impact of tobacco on kids in this country."

The Weinstein Co., an independent film production company, is using PSAs produced by American Legacy ahead of its films that depict smoking, Healton said.

Universal Studios, owned by General Electric, said in April that it would reduce the portrayal of smoking in films rated for PG-13 and younger audiences. No such films have been produced since the statement.

"We feel it's important to use our influence to help stem a serious health problem in the United States and around the world," said Ron Meyer, president and chief operating officer of Universal Studios. "We believe it's possible to do that while respecting filmmakers' creative choices and we are committed to partnering with them in this effort."
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news! Never a good idea to portray smoking in films imho
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to Disney for leading the way! Now lets just hope that the others follow suit.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gauvin4 View Post
    Kudos to Disney for leading the way! Now lets just hope that the others follow suit.
    My feelings too! Way to go Disney!
    Visted Disney World since 1975
    Disney treehouses 1980's
    All-Star Movies 1990's

All-Star Music 2000-2005
    All-Star Movies March 2007
    Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa June 2007
    All-Star Movies 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Moderator Reminder

Just a friendly reminder to keep posts in relation to the posted topic and not smoking in general.

In case it is not clear the topic is:

Disney removing the image of smoking from its Disney branded motion pictures.

Consider this post a warning.

Any posts that discuss smoking in general, rather than the topic at hand will be removed at the Staff's discretion.

Thank you

INTERCOT News Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Uh-oh!

What will Cruella do now? I guess that means she won't be able to hold her cigarette during meet and greets, too. Oh well, at least I have one great pic of the classic Cruella getup.

Personally, I don't care either way what Disney does. As long as they put out good movies, I couldn't care less if they do or don't show smoking. It's not something I ever even noticed in movies anyway.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Uh-oh!

What will Cruella do now? I guess that means she won't be able to hold her cigarette during meet and greets, too. Oh well, at least I have one great pic of the classic Cruella getup.

Personally, I don't care either way what Disney does. As long as they put out good movies, I couldn't care less if they do or don't show smoking. It's not something I ever even noticed in movies anyway.

I kinda agree with you. Smoking is prominently featured in "Pinocchio", "Newsies", and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I'm just a little worried over how this new ban may affect these Disney classics. But still, I definitely commend their efforts in the war against tobacco.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great leap forward.
    To many visits to keep track of.
    Finally Living The Dream!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Robert View Post
    Smoking is prominently featured in "Pinocchio", "Newsies", and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I'm just a little worried over how this new ban may affect these Disney classics.
    I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that it is only new movies that will not feature smoking. The old movies will just have PSA's on the DVD.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I applaud Disney for this! It is amazing what kids pick up and try to emulate in movies. What is the purpose of showing smoking anyway? I know it is everywhere in society, but why glamorize it or condone it? I feel Disney is showing great judgment on the content of their movies and gives me more reason to support them with my movie going dollars.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Very good decision DIS. Bought some more stock on this news. One less lawsuit risk for the future!

Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Great move!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised that they hadn't done so by now.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
    I know it is everywhere in society, but why glamorize it or condone it?
    Actually, if you look at a lot of movies (other than more adult oriented movies like dramas and action films), it was usually the villain of the movie who smoked, not the good guy. So, if anything, smoking was vilified, not glorified.

Plus, villains are allowed to kill (or try to kill), lie, deceive, and generally do things we would never want children to do, yet that's okay because they're villains.

Just an observation.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

i also noticed that the movies i can think of all have the villan smoking... bad old villans...
    exception would be pinochio...

Still think it is a cool idea to be aplauded!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

sly1 Guest

Great news! I can't imagine how many smokers there are now thanks to seeing smoking in movies when they were younger. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Personally, I think smoking is rapidly becoming a thing of the past within the general public. Ergo, shouldn't films follow suit?

I think this is a great idea ... a long time coming ... kudos, Disney!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Personally, I think smoking is rapidly becoming a thing of the past within the general public. Ergo, shouldn't films follow suit?

I think this is a great idea ... a long time coming ... kudos, Disney!
    Yep..

Post Thanks / Like

and from a business standpoint, this REALLY puts Disney back out there in the forefront of "Family Entertainment". I don't know how effective this move will be in curtailing youth smoking (hopefully very), but Disney is getting "Media Cred" back...and from some unusual places. Marketing blogs, corporate blogs, non-profit blogs and many others have picked up on this, and are applauding Disney for making this step.

Looks like Iger may be turning things around like we had all hoped he would!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    i also noticed that the movies i can think of all have the villan smoking... bad old villans...
    exception would be pinochio...
    Another exception was Pecos Bill in "Melody Time." Although when Disney re-released that one, they digitally removed all the shots of Bill's cigarettes, resulting in some awkward-looking motions and expressions. It looked ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of tampering with the old films, but I doubt I'll notice the lack of smoking in any new ones. Then again, if I was a filmmaker and could think of a really good reason to show a character smoking (like, say, a biography of Walt Disney, who died of lung cancer due to his chain-smoking), I'd hate to be told I couldn't do it just because it's a Disney film.

I don't think just not depicting smoking makes too much of a difference either way (although I certainly understand not GLAMORIZING smoking). I'm with BrerSchultzy in thinking this is more a media/public relations move than anything else.
    --Pat / HooksLeftHand

"I'd like to take a moment to point out some of our native plants...There's one over there...there's one...there's another."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: