Quantcast How will Disney Respond to Universal's Harry Potter Addition? [Merged Threads] - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I agree that Disney doesn't need to do anything. Frankly, I think that Harry will have an initial high volume but its pretty hard to see how you can re-create the books atmosphere in Florida. Its not like people can ride broomsticks and actually play Quidditch. So I think that the initial interest won't necessarily transform into longevity, just like so much of the rest of Universal.
    I admit I have to agree with this. I love Harry Potter. But we're also in the middle of it all. In a couple of years, all the books AND movies will be all wrapped up and over. And Universal will not only have dedicated an attraction to the series, but a whole LAND. Will it have been worth it? Will people slowly forget about Harry Potter, leaving generations of people clueless as to what that land is supposed to represent? I guess time will tell.

( That being said, as a fan I do look forward to seeing what they come up with )
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone who said that this isn't too big of a problem for Disney. I think it's a great thing for US - it will definitely draw crowds for at least the first year. The thing is - what are those crowds going to do with the rest of their vacation? US is a one day trip - two at most. I'd be willing to bet that 3/4 of visitors to US (non locals) spend most of their vacation at WDW. If anything, this gives people another reason to take another trip to Orlando / WDW. At least, I know I'm going to use that excuse...

Update Adventureland! Give us an interactive Black Pearl to climb on. Install one of the better Indiana Jones attractions! Make Adventureland adventureous again without sacrifce.
    This is a fantastic idea!!!
    ~*
    Land and Sea Cruisin' May 17-24!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone

I agree with most people and don't see this as a big deal for Disney to worry about.

Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else?? The area they are building this in is landlocked so aside from pushing the current area into a parking lot and maintenance area like they say they are going to do, where else can they go with this. The total area has been said to be about 20 acres. I don't think Disney needs to over react to this. Just continue the recent program of rehabbing classics like small world, mansion this year...etc. And adding some new stuff like Midway Mania and maybe go ahead with a Narnia area for DAK and the upgraded Star Tours and maybe the Indiana Jones attraction for the studios.
    In the end I just don't see Disney worrying too much about one 20 acre land in a park that from day one has been an attendance dissapointment.
    It will bump up IOA but as for it being a real threat to Disney....once the families maybe go to IOA and do the Harry Potter Land...then what? They may feel a bit cheated that all the hype amounts to maybe an hours worth of Potter and the rest of the park is much more geared to Teens and Adults.
    MK Merchandise CM

9/03 Wonder 4 night
    9/05 Wonder 4 night
    3/06 Magic 7 night
    9/06 Magic 7 night
    3/07 Magic 7 night
    9/07 Magic 7 night
    12/07 Wonder 3 night
    3/08 Wonder 3 night
    12/08 Magic 7 night
    4/09 Wonder 3 night

Trying to steal the blueprints for the JII rehab!
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Goodbye Adventureland, Hello Pirate Land?

Hello I'm a new member and this my first post! I'm very excited to be here, and I hope I have a wonderful time!

Okay I have been hearing this rumor about possible ways of countering HP. Here's what it said:

'll say this much : One of the more intriguing ideas that's currently on the table is a total revamp of the theming of the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland section. Where this part of that theme park would basically become Pirate Land. And the Swiss Family Treehouse would be ripped out & replaced by a full-sized version of the Black Pearl that you could explore. And the long-empty Adventureland Veranda would then be changed into this Pirates-themed tavern that featured interactive entertainment. Where even the "Enchanted Tiki Room" would be reworked so that this Audio-Animatronic show would star pirate parrots.

Of course, the really big draw for this side of the Magic Kingdom would be an "E" Ticket. A brand-new thrill ride that (Keying off the proposed storyline of "Pirates of the Caribbean 4." I.E. Captain Jack Sparrow & Barbossa's search for the Fountain of Youth) would then take WDW guests through this long-abandoned, over-grown temple that is just loaded with booby traps.
    Now I find this whole retheming of Adventureland to Pirateland could be very awsome. But of course what would make me go would be the proposed new E-Ticket Pirate thrill ride. But perhaps they could even change the POTC ride to be more like Disneylands. They could move the Tree House to the studios because they are making a movie of the Swiss Family Robinson. They could get rid of the {junk} that is know to be the magic flying carpets, and with Jungle Cruise they can give it more of a Pirate-esque feeling. An perhaps they can do what Disneyland did to there Tom Sawyer Island? Well what do you think about the proposed idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else??
    Is this all that they're doing? Sounds like even less of a big deal than I originally thought.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

No, no...ADD TO, don't take away!
    (except for those stupid carpets)
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

First of all...WELCOME Jakk! You will have fun here...just don't expect to get your free time back any time soon.

As to the idea of rethemeing Adventureland...I think that may be the last straw for a lot of folks. And I don't think people like Lasseter or Iger would really go for that.

Now, the idea of a Pirates themed water park seems to be getting some legs, and that I could see.

As far as Harry Potter having an affect on Disney, though...let's remember, when Universal Studios was competing (numbers wise) with Disney, it just meant that more people were staying on Disney Property, and heading to Universal for a day. With the values and Moderates being competitively priced with other Orlando hotels, the Harry Potter land may have an unexpected impact on Disney...i.e, the completion of Pop Century, or the creation of more value hotels.

Just a thought.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    First of all...WELCOME Jakk! You will have fun here...just don't expect to get your free time back any time soon.

As to the idea of rethemeing Adventureland...I think that may be the last straw for a lot of folks. And I don't think people like Lasseter or Iger would really go for that.

Now, the idea of a Pirates themed water park seems to be getting some legs, and that I could see.

As far as Harry Potter having an affect on Disney, though...let's remember, when Universal Studios was competing (numbers wise) with Disney, it just meant that more people were staying on Disney Property, and heading to Universal for a day. With the values and Moderates being competitively priced with other Orlando hotels, the Harry Potter land may have an unexpected impact on Disney...i.e, the completion of Pop Century, or the creation of more value hotels.

Just a thought.

wow. this is a very good point!
    As it is, it's not like Universal is adding a 3rd GATE to their theme parks. It will still be a two theme park place, and tough HP's popularity may bring some folks down, I don't know that it will turn Universal into "the place to stay" for folks other than those who already see it that way.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else?? The area they are building this in is landlocked so aside from pushing the current area into a parking lot and maintenance area like they say they are going to do, where else can they go with this. The total area has been said to be about 20 acres...
    It sounds like they are being fairly ambitious about it. Here are some excerpts from a Sentinel story:

"Universal intends to spend $230 million to $265 million to create "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure ...

Universal's challenge will be to create an attraction that delivers on its promise to exceed Potter fans' expectations for faithfulness to the stories....

Universal Chairman Tom Williams told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday that the Harry Potter attraction would be like "a theme park within a theme park" spanning about 20 acres of Islands of Adventure's 85 total acres....

The pressure to build an attraction that is true to the Harry Potter brand, he said, will be intense, though the company is looking forward to creating the smells, sounds and texture of Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Forest."

The story did mention that Universal's attendance was declining while Disney's was increasing, and a spokesperson for Disney said any improvements to the theme park business there would benefit all of them. So I don't think Disney is worried.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the logical response is dusting off the Beastly Kingdom concept and prepare to bring that to life. Something like that or the long rumoured "Villians Park" are the only things that I would get really exicted about. If they aren't interested in either of those, I would personally be very skeptical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickcapp View Post
    One word....PIRATES!!!

Expand on the pirates line! As popular as Harry Potter is, the box office numbers do not touch POTC!

Talk about a way to respond! I mean, they already own one of the most successful film franchises of all time! They wouldn't have to spend a dime to acquire any rights

Update Adventureland! Give us an interactive Black Pearl to climb on. Install one of the better Indiana Jones attractions! Make Adventureland adventureous again without sacrifce.
    I was talking with a major WDW fan about this and he pointed a little fact: Harry Potter is, by itself, a "Perisable Product". The Story of Harry is one of "Comming of Age" with teen angst and hard life lessons. The problem is that, when he reaches adulthood, the story itself ends. Right now, the last book is in the presses and there's 3 movies left to make.

After that, there's no continuity. There's will be nothing out there of high-caliber to remember the Harry Potter franchise. So, if Universal Studios start building right now, they will have 1 or 2 movies to sells their "Harry Potter Land".

Walt Disney World dosen't have that issue. They have TONS of copyrights and enough storylines to generate new products "At Nauseum". I might have voiced my displeasure related to the "Direct-to-DVD" animation lately but they keep the franchise alive and fresh. So, updating new rides is a breeze and there's still a media ellement out there bringing people in.

This bring us to the POTC franchise, fully owned by Disney. At the end of the Third movie, most of the good guys are (Kinda) alive, the Black Pearl is out there And Jack Sparow is still kicking rear-ends. By itself, adding another trilogy is possible and, if we think of the success of the last three movies, it might be quite rewarding to do so.

If WDW want to chalenge Universal, they just have to expand Aventureland and add 2-3 attractions related to the POTC's movie franchise.

I just feel that Universal found another creative way to end #2 again.
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think adding Harry Potter land will take away all that much business from Disney. There are too many loyal Disney customers for that to happen. I think at this point it would be absurd of Disney to add a 5th park. Epcot and MGM both needs some upgrading and IMHO AK is only about half done. For me, AK is a half day park, at best. I think Disney will do something but I don't know what.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Disney tried to get harry...

I work with a past CM -- a manager/trainer of Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion for 8 years --- he went back to grad school and now works with me, but has tons of friends that are in mgmt at WDW. He stated that Disney had been bidding on Harry and Universal won --- as the news release was being announced, his DW friend was text messaging him that Disney got a blow by not getting Harry. They were pretty certain that is was going to happen and was shocked Universal got it instead.

So Disney is trying to stay ahead -- but money --- a LOT of money -- talks. The park as described seems to be intriguing --- enough that I can't wait to go and have been to Universal once and won't go back till all my kids are 52" or taller!

CNBC reported a 2 weeks ago about a 5th park -- I thought they stated it was 5 years away -- 2012. Anyone else see this??? That an additional park was needed in order to accomodate the increasing hotel guests.

Have to admit, Harry and a "school" for sorcers is a really cool idea and can't wait to see it!
    cindymouse6
    OKW, BW, BC DVC owners
    Contemp. 8/78
    OKW 93,94,95
    BW 96, OKW 96
    Honeymoon OKW 5/97 x2weeks
    DCL 3/02, 12/04, 12/06
    +++Too many to count! 25 times since 1994!! and counting!

This year: OKW 7/08, BC & BW 12/08, BC 3/09, AKL 6/09

Post Thanks / Like

As with all Universal project. Harry Potter will be incredible when it comes out. Over time the look to the attraction will decline and Universal will fail the upkeep on it. It will all become sunbleahed and unimpressive in no time at all. No worries here.
    I have a feeling Disney will counter with Star Wars and Indy.
    șoșșoșJessica Dșoșșoș

October 2011
    Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen several wicked cool ideas here that would indeed swing interest in Disney's favor, and to sum 'em up and add a thought to them:
    The Adventureland Upates: Yeah Yeah! At least make POTC as long as the DLR version... sorry, but it is a better ride than WDW's. Bring Indiana Jones to Adventureland, and maybe some general updating of the area?
    Disney-Pixar Studio: A real no-brainer with unlimited potential!
    AK: The Beastly Kingdom section would indeed make this, the least attended of the Disney parks, finally an all day park for some (and even as the least attended it's numbers still outdo Universal if I read that other post right!)
    Yeah, DIsney fought and lost the rights to Harry Potter... to be honest, Universal having it still doesn't interest me enough to make me wanna go running there. AND lest we forget, DIsney now also has Stan "the Man" Lee under contract... who knows what wild ideas might come out of this relationship? 'Nuff Said!
    AKA: FlyingIceman - Ice Rocker
    DLR every Summer from '67 - '76
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04
    WDW Christmas '04 (ASMusic)
    WDW Christmas '06 (Pop Century)

DLR Oct. '07 (Paradise Pier)

WDW Sept. '08 (ASMovies & PO French Quarter)
    Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see what Disney decides to do with counter action (hate using that phrase but can't think of anything else right now..sorry...) ~ as for the Pirates, Star Wars and Indy ideas, I'm all for those too! And who knows what else they have on their minds but I surely am excited! I'll always be the WDW Princess, I have no desire to venture over to US; so no worries on my end....!
    It's all about me ~*~

~*~ Disney Forever ~ I'll always be a Princess ~*~
    P I Forever
    DVC Owner
    **Jonas Brothers Forever** I met them, hugged them and then I freaked out...Kevin smells FANTASTIC!Burnin Up - 2 concerts ~ Look Me In The Eyes - 3 concerts ~ Best of Both Worlds - 2 concerts

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really keen on turning Adventureland into an all-POTC area. The restaurant and "Raging Spirits" redo sound fine, but that's really overdoing too much of a good thing.

I think that Disney needs to look into underused properties or create something new entirely. I'm all for them doing something based on "Kingdom Hearts".
    Going back May '08.

My likes-POTC, Haunted Mansion, Muppets 3D

Looking forward to-Simpsons, Star Tours 2, Harry Potter, visiting Tokyo Disneyland and USJ!

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe that Disney is going to announce something just as major for it's parks to respond to the Potter card a Universal which is going to be a ENORMOUS draw for them!

MGM seems the most logical place to put new attractions in place, but there doesn't seem to be much space left for expansion. I'd love to see them announce something spectacular for the MK replacing that waste of Pooh Playground space, and possibly re-themeing areas to Pirates.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

1) I am a HUGH Potter fan. I love it as much as I love WDW, but to be honest the new Poter Land will take me away from Disney for one day just so I can see the new Land. A day and a half at the most. I will still devote most of my time to the world.

2) As long as Pirtaes stay in MK and doesn't seep into other parks, except for maybe a new water park, I'm okay with the retheming.

3) IMO, Disney really only needs to do couple of things. As I see it, MK, Epcot and DAK are fine as is, it's MGM that need some lovin. Install the rumored Indy ride and the updated Star Tours film. Mixed those in with some kid frendly/minors attractions and we will have a new must see park.

Post Thanks / Like

they will respond like thisgood luck

Cause Disney know they will always be
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: