Quantcast What's your first memory of WDW?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your first memory of WDW?

When my Grandmother took my brother and I in 1974, I was 5. My earliest memory is seeing Minnie Mouse in a parade and saying to my Grandmother "She is so beautiful".

What's your first?

Off site many times 1974-1994

BWV 2006- WIth hubby and 3 children
    BWV October 2007 With hubby our children and our new baby girl

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to DL a few times when I was VERY young (like 3 or under) but my next trip wasn't until I was 8 or 9 at Walt Disey World. I still remember certain things:
    Eating at CRT and taking pictures with Cinderella
    dining in the cars at Sci-Fi, I thought that was so incredible awesome
    Oh and buying a HUGE minnie mouse stuffed animal...but now it doesn't look that huge, but in an 8 year olds eyes it does
    College Program Spring 05
    6/92-Tree House Villas
    5/98-Poly
    5/01-ASM
    1/05-Pop
    3/05-OKW
    5/05-SS
    5/06-ASMus
    1/07- Honeymoon at the Boardwalk!
    6/07- OKW
    11/07-Babymoon Pop/Poly
    12/08-Christmas at the Poly! DS 1st Christmas and Disney Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

1981. I remember being desperate to get that first glimpse of castle. The drive in seemed long and full of trees. We passed Epcot in the building stages and finally made it closer. My first sight of Cinderella Castle just hooked me. It was amazing. Like being in a fairy tale. And then we parked in the Dopey section of the MK lot and the parking attendant kept calling it "Doopey." For some reason, that cracked me up. Did I mention I was twelve?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We lived in Florida, and I was born in 1971 - so I've been going since November of that year when I was 8 months old. I don't remember much about those early years...lol!

But, my oldest memory is of me at about age 4 and my oldest sister at 14 standing under a white staircase on Main Street during a torrential downpour. We were supposed to meet the rest of the family on the other side of the street - and we could see them - but they couldn't see us. I remember being terrified of the rain.

I can't *for the life of me* place where that staircase is now. In my mind's eye I am seeing it about halfway down Main St on the left as you are walking towards the castle. I know it's not there - any ideas of where we could have been? I wonder if we were even ON Main St or if I just think we were! hahaha
    Barbie șoș
    Married to: Golf Grumpy
    DVC owners at BCV and SSR

...and then they made me their Chief.

Post Thanks / Like

I first took a group of kids to WDW in 2000. I was mid 30;s never been, my wife grew up in Florida and swore by Disney. I thought whatever, it is another band trip. The biggest thing I remember is when we were at EPCOT our first day and the character bus drove by us and she lost it. I thought WHY? They were just characters.

But , I did not get it, until she twisted my arm to take our kids back 5 months later, and they lit up when they saw the characters and castle.

Then I got it. And glad I still do.
    J
    3/01 1st trip -Off site with 100 kids
    Over 20 trips since 3/01
    Lot's of fun and great family memories..

Going to be there in June 08.

Post Thanks / Like

The earliest ride memory I have is If You Had Wings.

The earliest general WDW memory is those balloons that had a colored Mickey head balloon inside a clear oval balloon.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Riding DumDumbo with my Daddy ate age 2. I was terrified when they all went way high and flew in formation!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I remember everything from my first visit to WDW because I was 27 years old! My most memorable moment, however is driving up Timberline Drive to the Wilderness Lodge, and seeing it appear from behind the trees in all of its majesty!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I was 15 when I first visited Disney and I remember the excitement at meeting Chip and Dale! I still have the picture and still smile when I remember how funny they were! I also remember the 'shock' I had when I saw the ghost hitchhiker in my doom buggy. Got quite a 'startle' since I knew nothing of the ride. And the 'enchantment' I felt sitting in the Enchanted Tiki Room...I returned to Disney just last year for the first time since that trip (so that's some 20 years later) and I couldn't help but compare my memories with the reality. Things had really changed.. but the magic was still there and my excitement over meeting the characters was even more intense!
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

i was about 11 yrs old and i remember being amazed by the peter pan ride and i loved it!!
    now its tradition that pp is the first ride we do
    each trip.and i also remember that haunted mansion was the only attraction i knew of before going to wdw and thats really the only thing i wanted to see,when we got to hm my mom says "the line is too long,we'll come back and we never did."now i ride hm at least 12 times each visit.
    gg out!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ahh...Memories

My first memory wasn't even on WDW property! I was 13 in '71 & we were there for the first Xmas celebration at WDW. We stayed off property, and I remember driving to the park & seeing the big green road sign that said Walt Disney World, with three big arrows pointing to the right. When I saw that, I got so excitied I thought my head would explode!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

My first memory of WDW is the Contemporary resort. It was so "futuristic" and magical with the monorail running through. I found the Poly enchanting though my parents preferred CR. Since we had been to DL the first thing I noticed was the differences there and how Main Street was different and the Castle and how more lines were inside instead of in the heat.
    From DL I remember traveling out west with my family for 2 weeks and DL was last before heading home. We had this booklet about DL and my sister was 4 and all she said for 2 straight weeks was "I want to ride the cups" she drove us crazy. I was amazed at the worn spots on Main Street and couldn't wait to ride the Pirates, it had just opened 2 months before.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

But , I did not get it, until she twisted my arm to take our kids back 5 months later, and they lit up when they saw the characters and castle.

Then I got it. And glad I still do.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how my husband reacted (he had never been to WDW until last year at age 38). It is a magical place for the children.

Post Thanks / Like

pluto pretending to throw my cousin into the lake, i wasn't scared of the characters until that, but i overcame my fears!

1974 & '75 - offsite
    every other year as a child all at contemporary
    1995 - wilderness lodge
    1999 - yacht club
    2005 - beach club
    2007 - beach club villas

2012 - beach club villas!
    2013- Beach club - marathon weekend

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip was in 1979. I remember riding Its a Small World and getting that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It was a great trip and I have been hooked since that day!

Post Thanks / Like

My earliest Disney World memory: I can't remember how old I was, but my mom had just bought me a Daniel Boone coon-skin cap in Frontier Land as we got into position for the Electric Light Parade. That was the most amazing thing to me. The darkness, then the lights in sync to the music on all of the floats and such. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but I can still see it. It was at that point that I knew I would love WDW forever.

Another memory just popped into my head. My mom and I went to Epcot in 1983. I remember riding the original Journey Into Imagination and playing in the playground of the future... and I still have an original Figment.
    ~Tripp West
    Dream CMO Top 3!

1977, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2005, 2006,
    DVC Trips
    12/2006(SSR), 2/2007(OKW),9/2007(OKW),12/07 (ASM-Got a great AP Discount),3/08 (BWV)

Post Thanks / Like

Crying when I met Chip and Dale for the first time! I was only like three or four. Oh and everyday I would say, Disney again, when are we going home to Jersey. What was a smokin' back then?!
    VMK: RoyalRoseBlue

10 trips before 2000
    2000 - All Star Sports (Senior Trip)
    2001 - CP CM @ CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip I was 5 and it was 1984. I remember that the celebration or theme for that year was Donald's 50th Birthday. I can still remember Donald's birthday parade at MK. There was the actor who lends his voice to Donald in a old fashioned car with his wife. Donald's float had several real ducks all wearing sailor hats. I can still remember thinking the real ducks with sailor hats was hilarious.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

sly1 Guest

I was three and it was 1975 I still remember the hitchhiking ghost in haunted mansion. Scared me to death. I can even remember which one it was: The heavy set one with the big head.

Post Thanks / Like

1980. I was 10 and in a soccer tournament in Tampa (travelled from Virginia). My whole team went went to Disney, and the first memory that pops into my head from that has two main facts: a) we were 10, and b) we were boys. This means trouble.

My memory is all of us buying those fake foam rocks (big at the time) and having a battle amongst ourselves, beating each other with these fake rocks. All happening around the backside of the Castle.

Guests? What other Guests?

Boy, I needed a smack upside the head.
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: