Quantcast Older Child Equals Third Adult

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Older Child Equals Third Adult

We have been visiting WDW several times a year for many years. Our oldest has now reached the age that makes her a third adult. Many times we get connecting rooms at Pop, so it doesn't matter, but if we decide to stay at the AKL or WL, we then have "three adults" and will be charged extra. This rule is maddening, because nothing has changed from what we needed/used before she turned 18. Has anyone ever debated/disputed this with the hotel managers? Do they have any lattitude to waive the additional fee? At places like AKL or WL this can be $30 per day!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't hurt to ask but it's pretty common for hotels to charge extra for a third adult. I guess they figure at 18 this person is a legal adult receiving services & resources from the hotel and they should charge for them.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure they do. With WDW attracting many families (grandmothers/grandfathers are the most frequent triggers) it would be hard to be selective about it.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

However it's fantastic that your family all still wants to go WDW as a group. Good for you!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

At least they don't start that when then are 10. That's an "adult" for park admission.

Seems like 2 rooms is the way to go. They may waive it for a 18+ child staying with parents. I think they can interpret the rule for a child, maybe not a niece or other relative. I'd stress the daughter part.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I don't mean to be rude or mean but your baby isn't a baby any more.

Yes, there is a $25 charge (my experience being for a third adult at the Poly) for a third adult in the room. That's policy, it shouldn't matter who's paying for the room, or what relation they are. I'm 35, if I were to go with my Mom & Dad we would have to pay for a third adult. You should also have to pay for your third adult.
    ~ Kristen
    Disneyland - '78,'92,'93,'94,'95,'98
    Walt Disney World - '72,'73,'75,'76,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'83,'84,
    '85,'86,'87,'88,'89,'91,'96, '02, '05

Polynesian Resort with my Family & BFF, Dec '07!!!

Post Thanks / Like

They could also just remain 17 for another year. Mine have. Let me tell you 25.00 a night when you have a kid who is 18 this year...come on? They aren't using anything they didn't use the year before. You could easily be adding another $50.00 a night with two kids over 17. No one said they were "babies"..but they aren't using up any more space in the room than they did the year before..or any other amenities that the resort offers than they did the year before. We usually have two rooms, so it hasn't been an issue either. I totally agree that they should be paying adult park admission and adult prices on the dining..but the extra adult charge for the same member of an immediate family? In my opinion...that's just a rip off.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    They could also just remain 17 for another year. Mine have. Let me tell you 25.00 a night when you have a kid who is 18 this year...come on? They aren't using anything they didn't use the year before. You could easily be adding another $50.00 a night with two kids over 17. No one said they were "babies"..but they aren't using up any more space in the room than they did the year before..or any other amenities that the resort offers than they did the year before. We usually have two rooms, so it hasn't been an issue either. I totally agree that they should be paying adult park admission and adult prices on the dining..but the extra adult charge for the same member of an immediate family? In my opinion...that's just a rip off.
    Respectfully...this is much the same as having a "child" not turn three for admission purposes isn't it?

It's ok to ask re the policy...but not circumvent it in my personal view point.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea they did this. It does not even make any sense to me. My sons are now 17 and 19. I agree that there is no change except for age. A room is a room and what real aditional services are they offering anyone. They still have 2 beds and a daybed to make up and the bathroom is no different, regardless of whether you are related or not. Charging extra for someone over 18 is just another way to make a buck. I would think taking care of a room with infants and toddlers would be more work - messy diapers etc.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    Respectfully...this is much the same as having a "child" not turn three for admission purposes isn't it?

It's ok to ask re the policy...but not circumvent it in my personal view point.
    Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point. In the case of the rooms..the 18 year old isn't using any more space than she did the year before. The beds are there..you don't have to bring in another one to accomodate them. They aren't using any more towels than they did the year before. If you physically only have 4 people in the room...and there is room for the same four people to sleep whether they are 17 or 18..it's just a way to pick your pocket for extra dollars. Especially when you are of the same family.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point. In the case of the rooms..the 18 year old isn't using any more space than she did the year before. The beds are there..you don't have to bring in another one to accomodate them. They aren't using any more towels than they did the year before. If you physically only have 4 people in the room...and there is room for the same four people to sleep whether they are 17 or 18..it's just a way to pick your pocket for extra dollars. Especially when you are of the same family.

Just a thought, my son will turn 10 in August which means he is now too old for a child admission for the parks.

He will ride the exact same rides this coming trip as he did last year at age 9.

So, there is no added rides or attractions. No further maintenance since he is a year older. Nothing will change.

However, since he is 10 I have to purchase a more expensive ticket. I may not agree with it but, they have to draw the line somewhere.

Just a thought.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I my BF and I should go with another couple, that doesnt give us the right to only have to pay for 2 adult even though we are only using 2 double beds. You are an adult at 18 and that's the final straw. I had my own apartment and paid for my own vacations at 18 and didn't get the "child's" rate.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Why we choose cabins

One among many reasons we always choose the cabins is because our adult aged son stays for only $5.00 extra per night. Of course, once kids are out of college they can pay the extra themselves at a hotel. Problem is, often when they're 18 or 19, parents tend to be paying the extra, so an extra $25 or $30 per night for the same room adds up and seems like a waste. it is a deterrent. The answer is to stay at hotels that charge little to nothing extra when in fact, you're still a family with three kids. In all the time we've stayed at, say, Hampton Inns or Double Trees, no one has ever asked the age of the kids. Meanwhile, the policy at the cabins is, I believe, quite reasonable.
    Forever let us hold our banners high
    Trips:
    78, 85 - Holiday Inn Main Gate
    86 - Days Inn International Drive
    87, 88 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00 - Fort Wilderness Homes
    Dec 02 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    2009-2010 Disneyland, Paradise Pier and Candy Cane Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert!!

Official WDW policy states that you are to pay for an additional charge commiserate with the level of resort. Any discussion of circumventing these or any other age rules is against Intercot's Terms of Service.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I am far off from my kids being 18 but I certainly understand not wanting to pay the extra bucks. A lot of kids who are 18 are in their senior year of high school, still needing mom and dad to provide for them. I believe that once they are on their own and out of school than it would be their responsiblity to pay the extra but not when they are still in high school or early college. I would think 21 would be a better cutoff for kids who live their mom and dad and are still in school.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Disney probably wouldn't do it but how about a "family rate"? Maybe not $25-$30 more a night but a flat rate (slightly higher but not so much) for families that have kids 16-21 and still fall w/in the occupancy limits? They could also give "one free 18-21" per room as long as they are related (like they let a <3 stay in the room) and don't go over the occupancy limits.LIke I said they probably won't do it but it would be nive to give families that still like to come to WDW together a bit of a break.

Post Thanks / Like

In the hotel industry, I've actually seen a lot of disclaimers that state "children under 18 stay free with an accompanying adult". So, you could look at it the other way and consider that hotels have been giving you a break for the past 17 years . Disney is simply following standard hotel policies. 18 is the legal age for "adulthood", so it makes sense that this is the age that's been chosen by the industry and not 21. It's always a bummer when the kids can no longer fly as a lap child, or get into the parks for free, but those are the rules. Just because we don't like it, I don't think that justifies us lying and keeping them a year younger. Go ahead and ask at check-in. I can tell you from experience with our now 21 year old who loves to still come on family vacations, we've always told the truth about her age and they've never once charged us extra for her.

Not sure if liability comes into play with the age as well. Can someone under 18 enter into a lawsuit against a resort?
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We took our niece with us to the BC in Dec. and were not charged any extra for her and she was 19.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point.
    That is simply as untrue as when a child turns 10 he eats more to justify the jump to aan adult on the dining plan or the same issue in passes (as Sean Riley Taylor's Mom said) or the point trying to be made in this post.

Skye is tiny...at 3 (just this past April) she only weighs 25 pounds and her height has not changed too much...On our trip in July she will be charges at our planned meals (Boma and 1900 Park Fare) even though she will not eat any more than she did when we were there in December 2006. If we were going to the parks she would need a ticket...and believe me I have been measuring her and she is not yet quite to the height that allows her to ride that next level of rides. But, we will pay the cost for the meals and for the tickets if and when the time comes because that is the policy.

Disney (or any company) cannot make exceptions pubicly because there is too much liability there. What if you and I check in at the same time with the same CM and your 18 year old is not charged as an extra adult but mine is? Is that fair? This could cause all kinds of issues for Disney...so policy needs to be policy and it needs to be followed.
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If I am understanding this discussion correctly, the main complaint is that 18-20 year olds are not being treated like children. Is that really what I'm hearing? Hard to believe that's even an discussion at all. I wonder where else in the world this could be considered a problem. More typically, the issue is that young people aren't being treated as ADULTS.

Is it REALLY a surprise that 18 year olds are considered an adult?
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

1) Disney charges extra for the 3rd adult in a room.
    2) Your child has just reached adulthood
    3) Thus, you pay the extra fee.
    4) You, certainly do not have to pay this fee.
    5) Your option is to stay off-site.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: