Quantcast BREAKING NEWS: All WDW resorts smoke-free as of 6/1/07

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BREAKING NEWS: All WDW resorts smoke-free as of 6/1/07

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is good news for we non-smokers. It took some large ones to make that decision. WDW has always been a family vacation park. I agree with their decision. I completely understand the counter-argument, but I will never agree with it.

The good news is when we take our DD there next year, I won't have to be concerned about it. I will also not have to worry about my DW being tempted to go back.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Finally. Now if they will just enforce the designated smoking areas in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray!! I cannot stand the smell of smoke, so this is great news. I know there are others who feel differently, but I completely agree with the ban.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news. Does anyone know how they plan to remove the awful smell of smoke that is in the walls and carpets of current smoking rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ??????

Sounds good and all but......Last time we went we stayed in a non-smoking room. All of the rooms next to us were non-smoking rooms but one neighbor was smoking anyway. We could smell the smoke coming into our room. Management didn't seem to do anything. I'm convinced that they'll enforce this.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

All the more reason to love Disney!!!!
    Lucy

**A dream is a wish your heart makes . . .**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    Finally. Now if they will just enforce the designated smoking areas in the parks.

AMEN!
    DL/DCA 40+ days a year 1999-2004
    10 D. CBR 6/02
    11 D. AKL 7/05
    6 D. CBR 12/05
    11 D. BWR 7/06
    11 D. POFQ (never again) 7/07
    7 D. CBR 11/07
    12 D. AKL/CR 7/08
    11 D. AKL 12/09
    12 D. BWI 6/10
    10 D. AKL 11/10
    10 D. POR (never again) 6/11
    10 D. AKL 12/11
    10 D. CBR 6/12
    Next 11D BWI 11/12

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is very good news. The smoke issue was a major concern I had about for our Preferred stay at Pop Century in September. Now I don't have to worry! Thank you Disney!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what this means for people who have alrady booked trips for after 6/1/07 and requested smoking rooms? We know someone going this September that has done just that.

My opinion is that you can't change people who have already booked, but now you start not booking any additional requests for smoking rooms after 6/1/07. I don't think it is fair to our friends, who tried to do the right thing and request a smoking room to now go and change their reservations or tell them too bad.

Just my 2 cents...that's all.
    Gotta Love Eeyore

Offsite 2xs as kid
    ASMo Sept '01
    ASMu Sept '03
    ASMo Sept '05
    POP Sept '07
    POFQ Sept '08
    POFQ Sept '09
    CBR Sept '10

Goooooo Jackets! Sting 'em!

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JaredsMom18 View Post
    All the more reason to love Disney!!!!
    Agreed, This WAS coming, It just came faster than i thought! This is good news, period. I will also add that i know of a rumour ( almost certain) so in the VERY near future im convinced it WILL be a fact not rumour, That the PARKS will also be SMOKE FREE. It stands now that this will happen in 09-10 BUT, With the Resorts ban on smoking now..I can see the parks doing this much sooner than the word on the street. We can only hope. I wanted to share where i heard the "rumour" about the parks going smoke free. I have a close professional friend who is a firefighter on a "central florida" dept. His wife works for Disney "behind the scenes". She has stated SEVERAL times that the day is NEAR that the parks also go smoke free. Yes, it is still a rumour but i wanted to share where i heard it and make sure no one accuses me of spreading false hope. Im just sharing what i hear.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think this is a great for all non-smokers, I can't help think that smokers are getting the shaft here. I hate smoking - I have asthma and get migraines from smoke plus as a nurse, I take care of many people who have ruined their health by smoking - but how fair is it that someone can't even smoke in their room? I know there are going to be designated smoking areas around the resorts, but what if the weather is bad, or it's a single parent traveling with little kids (yeah, I know, they shouldn't be smoking around the kids anyway - bad for their health...), or someone with a disability that it would be difficult to get to the smoking area. I feel that this isn't going to make smokers quit and it's only going to encourage some smokers to break the rules more often. Plus, how are they going to enforce it at the resorts - will they force people caught smoking in their rooms to check out and leave? I highly doubt it.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    While I think this is a great for all non-smokers, I can't help think that smokers are getting the shaft here. I hate smoking - I have asthma and get migraines from smoke plus as a nurse, I take care of many people who have ruined their health by smoking - but how fair is it that someone can't even smoke in their room? I know there are going to be designated smoking areas around the resorts, but what if the weather is bad, or it's a single parent traveling with little kids (yeah, I know, they shouldn't be smoking around the kids anyway - bad for their health...), or someone with a disability that it would be difficult to get to the smoking area. I feel that this isn't going to make smokers quit and it's only going to encourage some smokers to break the rules more often. Plus, how are they going to enforce it at the resorts - will they force people caught smoking in their rooms to check out and leave? I highly doubt it.
    I'll disagree, the smokers are not getting the shaft. By smoking in a hotel room you make that room uninhabitable for a great many future customers. I think the penalty for smoking will be written into your room agreement that says you will pay for it to be professional cleaned. I would venture to say that it costs many $$$ to clean the carpets walls, mattresses, pillows, etc.

I am all for this. As for those that booked in advance, Disney should allow them to cancel/change their reservations with no charge, but they aren't going to allow certain people to continue to smoke once the ban is in effect.
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is great news! Hopefully they will be able to get the smell out of the current smoking rooms. There are many cities that have no smoking in the hotels, including where I live. I am happy Disney is doing this, think of the happy Mousekeepers that won't have to deal with it anymore also.. Now hopefully they will enforce this better than they do in the parks.
    And parks being non smoking- well that's good too, although I do think a few well enforced designated smoking areas would be fine.

Bev
    POP for the Holidays and MVMCP! Dec6-12

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

This is amazing news, as I can't stand smoke.

And I think it's fair for smokers. I mean, the trend these days is for all hotels to be smoke-free; this concept is hardly new anymore. Smokers will be inconvenienced, yes, but they can still smoke in designated areas outside. If one chooses to smoke, then they have to bear the annoyance of bad weather.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see how well this is enforced based on how the designated smoking areas are enforced in the parks.

Actually, I thought smoking was always banned on balconies in non-smoking rooms.

I wonder why there couldn't be a designated smoking building in resorts with multiple buildings like POP or POR. They would still be able to accomodate the 3.5% of people that do request smoking rooms but the vast majority of the properties would still be smoke free.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Warning--

I just want to remind everyone up front that this thread is not the place for offensive or sarcastic remarks about smoking or those that smoke, or those that don't. Posts that remain respectful will stand; those that don't will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Love Eeyore View Post
    I wonder what this means for people who have alrady booked trips for after 6/1/07 and requested smoking rooms? We know someone going this September that has done just that.
    I imagine they will be directed to the designated smoking areas within the resort. Personally, I think they should notify (in writing) those who have made reservations requesting a "smoking-optional" for an upcoming trip. But then again, as the current reservation system does not absolutely guarantee a specific type of room, there is no liability on their part anyway, if that makes sense. What I mean is that, prior to this announcement, a guest that smoked could request a "smoking-optional" room, but at check-in might find out that their request is not fulfilled.

Anyway, there have been many unfounded rumors about this over the years, so it is good to see that they have evidently given out a press release on the subject. Personally I like the idea, but I have empathy for those that smoke--I'm sure there will be some bugs to work through when they first implement it.

Not sure that I agree that the parks will be smoke-free anytime soon. That would be a major change.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Good for Disney!! They may lose some business from die hard smokers but in the long run everyone benefits (even the smokers who may add a little time onto their lives w/o those resort cigs!). There seems to be no shortage of folks who fly even after the airlines went smoke free. I know I will sleep better in a smoke free environment!

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome news!!

Getting a room that someone has smoked in or one that someone is smoking outside of is always a concern of ours.
    Myself, DS 7 and DD 3 all have asthma and I have a severe allergy attacks around it.
    We always request a room non smoking for medical reasons and even bring a Dr's note if it should ever be an issue in getting a room smoke free. Disney has always been awesome with that!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: