Quantcast Gran Fiesta Tour [Merged Threads] - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Well, I just watched a video of the ride, and quite frankly, I liked it. I guess I just don't have the "instantly dislike anything different" gene in my chemistry.

It is NOT El Rio del Tiempo, it is a "new" attraction. If you were a first time visitor, and you had never seen El Rio del Tiempo, I wonder if everyone would dislike it as much.

For me, it still holds the charm of the original, with some "spice" from the characters. After all, let's face it, Epcot is never going to be the "educational" park it originally was. That configuration just didn't sell. To me, it now has a great movie tie in with The Three Caballeros, it got characters that kids will love, and it still has a view of Mexico. From my own experience with this ride when my kids were young, this ride was boring to them. Now, it can entertain kids, and adults.... Golly, it's a FAMILY ride.

I also recognize that a video here on my computer screen is not going to be near as impressive as seeing it in person. I can't wait.
    I totally agree with Marker here.

The Gran Fiesta Tour is great and very fun. They made it a new experience while keeping a lot of the old stuff at the same time.

To those of you who think that the ride is now more like being in a Donald Duck cartoon than being in Mexico, you couldn't be anymore wrong, even if you tried.

El Rio del Tiempo had indeed become rather dated and never really taught much about Mexico's history anyway. Therefore, it was time for a change anyway.

I'm even finding Gran Fiesta to be better than El Rio. I miss the old song too, but the Three Caballeros theme song is very catchy and infectious, too.

Please just open up your minds and enjoy it for what it is. Don't bash it. You'll get used to the updated ride in time. After all, embracing change is an important part of life.

Viva Los Tres Caballeros!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the video. I'm not impressed, but I wasn't expecting it to be great anyway. The original was decent in my opinion, and I think that this update is decent. I could take or leave the original, and that's the way that I feel about this update. The only disappointment that I have with the new attraction is that the original song has been removed and it was a very catchy and fun tune. The new song was taken from the movie, and it's a decent song, but I hate that so many great Epcot songs have disappeared over the years. New Horizons, Fun to be Free, Listen to the Land, Veggie Fruit-Fruit, etc. are among those that have disappeared over the years. Now the El Rio de Tiempo song has joined that group.

Having said all of that, I understand that change is inevitable, and I feel that El Rio de Tiempo is not a great loss. I got over the removal of Horizons so I can certainly get over this change as well.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the video and thought it looked okay, but nothing special. It would have been better if they had taken a little more time (and money) and added an animatronic or two instead of just the videos only. Some animatronic scene of the three characters there at the end would have made it worthwhile. Right now it seems that all they really did was change the videos and the soundtrack and pull out the carousel at the end.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

DisneyNut2005 Guest

While I understand the feeling over the lack of new AA's for the updated Mexico ride, it's probably for the best that there aren't any.

Considering the fact that the 3 Caballeros appear in 2D form everywhere else in the ride, having them appear in AA form only once probably would've been jarring.

Besides, there's lots of things that can be done in a film that even AA's can't do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings about the ride. It was looking a little outdated but I thought that was part of the ride's charm. It's not that I don't like what they've done, it's more of just missing how it was. At least we have the old version on video. Of course now we're going to have to record the new version in Sept.
    Alicia

1980 & 1984 - Off site
    1990 & May 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Jan 2001 (honeymoon) and Nov 2004 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Sept 2007 - Polynesian Resort

Next Trip: May 2010 - Polynesian (for our 10 year anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down I Couldn't Agree More

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    Someone posted a ride-through video (on another Disney unofficial site) which I watched last night. Truthfully, I was not overly impressed. And I miss the old song "hola mis amigos" (or something like that). The new ride seems too cartoonish - like they transformed it into something for kids. Hopefully I'll like it better when I see it in person later this year.

I saw a similar video on the net and I have to aggree. I was not impressed either. It appears they merely added cartoons to the videos. The cliff diver scene is still there, with a cartoon overlay.

If they were going to do an overhaul, I expected the Imagineers to add at least SOME new audioanimatronics. Remember, when they were the cornerstone of a Disney ride? Now, it appears everything is relying on video technology. Of course, I'm basing things purely on a video I watched and not the actual ride, but I'm still disappointed. I expected more.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I saw a similar video on the net and I have to aggree. I was not impressed either. It appears they merely added cartoons to the videos. The cliff diver scene is still there, with a cartoon overlay.

If they were going to do an overhaul, I expected the Imagineers to add at least SOME new audioanimatronics. Remember, when they were the cornerstone of a Disney ride? Now, it appears everything is relying on video technology. Of course, I'm basing things purely on a video I watched and not the actual ride, but I'm still disappointed. I expected more.
    That's part of the trouble with a lot of you Disney fans--you folks expect waaaaaaaay too much from them and you're too close-minded to enjoy anything new that they do.

And with overlays like this, they did waaaaaaay more than what you think. Not only did they change films and sets, but they also upgraded the sound system and gave the whole thing a lot of TLC, which you folks should be thankful for.

Overall, from what I've read, the new ride has mostly been getting lots of positive responses and I hope that my reply about the new ride having AA's wasn't ignored...

Besides, AA's are NOT becoming forgotten. It's just that there are some attractions/areas that they'd work well in, others that they wouldn't. Not every attraction has to have AA's to be great. For example: Tower of Terror doesn't have any and doesn't need any...and we love it anyway.

After all, you can't always get what you want.

And now, for a change of pace, can we please hear from somebody else who IS pleased with the overlay?

Post Thanks / Like

gotta agree with most people here...i think WDW laid an egg on this one. WDW doesn't make very many mistakes (if any) but this doesn't look like a winner to me. Someone earlier mentioned that the ride made you feel like you had traveled into Mexico, and I agree. This new ride is exactly what I was afraid it would become, which is a kiddie ride. (or it at least appears that way.) I'll be glad to be able to take a with me when we ride it, but I'm even more glad me and the Mrs got to ride the real version of the ride.

Still, I don't think I can say for sure one way or the other until I ride it. I just really loved the old version.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everyone who is against the characters in World Showcase. There is still plenty of room at Magic Kingdom for rides built around characters and MGM is there for rides built around movies. World Showcase is for cultural exploration and Epcot in general is supposed to teach you something. My heart breaks everytime they change things to "attract more visitors." What about the ones they lose from the very same changes?

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Well, the new ride STILL gives that "traveling to Mexico" feeling, just in a slightly different way. And it has not become a "kiddie ride"--it's still a family ride. Always was, always will be.

Epcot is still about learning about cultures and things. You just need to open up your minds...and things still have to change--it's a part of life.

And including characters in Epcot attractions is nothing new. They've been doing it for years. One of the earliest ones is the "Goofy About Health" multimedia presentation at Wonders of Life, which was also very well done.

Why are you all so biased towards the old ride anyway? You folks should instead see this as a good thing also because they created a new attraction featuring some of Disney's old school characters rather than on newer properties like the Pixar characters...and a golden opportunity to bring great classic characters like Panchito and Jose back from obscurity.

Just think. THINK!!!

Post Thanks / Like

With everyone that loves Disney in the world and love going to the parks, it has to be tough as heck to please everyone let alone make rides both pleasing to adults and kids. I can't imagine how it must be to try to make a new or updated ride where it can hold the attention of kids as well as adults. Sometimes they do a great job with new or updated rides and sometimes they don't do such a great job (i.e the Stitch ride in Tomarrowland).

Eventually, in time, every ride will be changed in some way. Here are a couple qoutes from Walt about DL but can be applied to WDW too;

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

What good is an imagination if everything stays the same and never changes. I do think we should expect alot from Disney because they are that good. They are in a league of their own. I don't think Walt Disney would like it much if we didn't expect much from the parks.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    That's part of the trouble with a lot of you Disney fans--you folks expect waaaaaaaay too much from them and you're too close-minded to enjoy anything new that they do.

First off, let's cool it with the rhetoric. This is supposed to be a fan site, complete with subscribers' opinions. Not a place for insults.

As I've stated,I've only seen the video so I can't make an accurate judgment. I didn't really enjoy the ride before, and I was hoping for something "eye-popping" to change me opinion. From what I saw on the video, nothing spectacular was added. It's basically the same ride with new cartoon overlays. That's my opinion.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    With everyone that loves Disney in the world and love going to the parks, it has to be tough as heck to please everyone let alone make rides both pleasing to adults and kids. I can't imagine how it must be to try to make a new or updated ride where it can hold the attention of kids as well as adults. Sometimes they do a great job with new or updated rides and sometimes they don't do such a great job (i.e the Stitch ride in Tomarrowland).

Eventually, in time, every ride will be changed in some way. Here are a couple qoutes from Walt about DL but can be applied to WDW too;

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

What good is an imagination if everything stays the same and never changes.
    Well put, except that I like Stitch's Great Escape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    Why are you all so biased towards the old ride anyway? You folks should instead see this as a good thing also because they created a new attraction featuring some of Disney's old school characters rather than on newer properties like the Pixar characters...and a golden opportunity to bring great classic characters like Panchito and Jose back from obscurity.

Just think. THINK!!!
    take a chill pill dude! instead of telling people what they should do, maybe you could appreciate someone's feelings about something. we're merely expressing our opinions, not telling anyone they should or should not like it. if that sort of thing upsets you why are you on a message board? just remember we all love Disney ; that's why we're here.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default El Rio Del Tiempo

I enjoyed El Rio in Mexico at Epcot. How is the new Three Cabelleros ride?

" But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imaprincess! View Post
    I enjoyed El Rio in Mexico at Epcot. How is the new Three Cabelleros ride?

You might want to go back and read this thread. To summarize however, most people think it's another step towards the dumbing down of Epcot. A video (actually several) have been posted on the Internet from which you can come to your own conclusions.

In my opinion, it's more garbage from the folks that brought us SGE, Journey Into Your Imagination, etc. I'm not opposed to characters, but they don't have to be shoehorned everywhere. World Showcase is the last place they should be IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched 2 videos of the ride and I've come to this opinion. The ride as it now stands would be great in the Magic Kingdom. However , being that it's in World Showcase , ...not so much.

This is my feeling about World Showcase since the first time I toured it in 1983. No matter what is changed or added in this section of Epcot , it should always be about the true cultural heritage of each individual country. I am not opposed to change ( I always get a kick out of the - " change is good " , " open up your mind " , " quit living in the past " , " that old stuff is boring " - claptrap ) I would love to see more countries, with rides in each one. I'd also love to see rides in the existing ones that don't have any ,like Italy , Germany , and United Kingdom. They can be fun , but at least be respectful of the cultural heritage of the country they represent. The Maelstrom is a fun ride , but it doesn't come off as cartoonish.

For me ,seeing Donald Duck flying up the side of an ancient Mayan pyramid like it's an escalator , or careening down the side of an Acapulcan cliff like he's bouncing through a pinball machine , makes a mockery of the Mexican people.

They could have updated El Rio del Tiempo ,without losing the charm and dignity of Mexico's history. But , they went the easy route and pandered to the look-at-the-shiny-object , no-attention-span school of thought.

So ,call me an old fogey. I'll take the old style approach to World Showcase any day.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else remember when Epcot first opened and there weren't ANY characters anywhere there?

I don't think the presence of Donald Duck insults the culture. I have watched 3 Cabelleros a number of times and I feel that movie really celebrates the music and beauty of the country.

I loved the Rio de El Tempo ride. It has always been one of my favorite parts of Epcot.

I have felt, though, the ride needed an update. I think the addition of the characters from the movie may attract more kids to the ride that may have not been interested otherwise.

I haven't seen the video from the new ride. I plan to go next month and I'll decide first hand.

The pavillions don't need to be boring history lessons. While I think characters added to every pavillion would be overkill, I think the 3 Cabellaros happened to work well for the Mexican pavillion.

Plus, I love Donald Duck. So, bonus for me!
    John/kmo84

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mexico

So has anyone been on the new ride in Mexico? I always enjoyed that ride. It was very relaxing and calming. I hope the new ride is ok?
    Gorsh I love this place

September 2007 Grand Floridian "Horray"
    2006 All Star Sports
    2005 All Star Music
    2004 Pop Centuary
    2002 All Star Music
    2000 All Star Sports
    1994 Poly
    1985,83,82,80,79 We always stayed at Howard Johnsons as a kid.

Post Thanks / Like

New Mexico ride?!? What happened to El Rio del Tiempo? I heard about a Three Caballeros animation update a while back....is that all they've done to it?
    Tony
    Former Operations CM at Disney's Animal Kingdom! (Tarzan Rocks & Dinosaur)
    College Program Participant
    May 2001 - November 2001

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: