A couple of years ago our oldest son gave us his then, 10yr life plan. He wanted to duel enroll at the local college so he could earn his A.A. during his last two years of high school. At that time he got a job with the university newspaper because ultimately he wants to be a war correspondent. As he's set and achieved his goals, he's reached this current phase. Yesterday we took him to his recruiter's station so they could ship him off. Today, he should arrive at Parris Island, SC to begin his journey as a U.S. Marine. He's training for recon.

Today I sit here with a HEAVY heart. I can't believe how much I miss him already and he's not even gone 24hrs. It's the little things. I walked by his bathroom last night and simply seeing his toothpaste and toothbrush brought tears to my eyes. He and his younger brother shared a bedroom and when I went in there this morning, again I had tears. I still have 3 kids at home but I'm already feeling the effects of "empty nest".

Anyway, I'm extremely proud of him and I'm excited for the adventure he's taking.