I wondered if anyone has had this happen because I am getting conflicting info.

We adopted a cat last year, 2 years old, male, large. He is a probably 3 now but we don't know much about his past. He's been healthy and happy. Around labor day he was having trouble urinating and we took him the the animal ER. He wasn't blocked but had an imflammed bladder, gave him some antibiotics and some sort of muscle relaxer and he got better.

At the end of October I noticed the same issues and took him to our vet. They ran some tests and said he had a UTI and crystals were forming. They put him on prescription food, and gave more meds. On Fri I took him back for a check up, they tested his urine and he had a clean bill of health. On Monday, he was meowing in pain, straining and there was blood in his urine. Since it was before hours we took him to the animal ER and they said he was partially blocked and sent us back to the vet.

Vet says no, not blocked but still had a few crystals. Gave him an xray and a few tests, and sent him home again with more meds. Said the meds he already was on (from end of October visit) would dissolve the crystals and the new meds would relax his muscles so he wouldn't strain or hurt.

Well, today he is meowing and straining again. I really don't know what to do for him. I hate that he is in pain. We are giving him all his meds, prescription food, and following all instructions to a T. I don't know why he isn't getting better. Also we have spent $900 since early Sept. I don't know why this keeps recurring. Any one have any experience? The vet charged me again for Monday even after they told me on Friday he was better. I don't know what to do for him!!!